Home Depot Sells Defective Homelite Weed Trimmers

effi

Jun 8, 2002, 12:27:45 PM6/8/02
Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.

Went to start it the 3rd time and it will not start, even after a new plug
and new gasoline-mix.

The plug is getting fire and there is fuel spraying into the combustion
chamber when the throttle lever is pulled.

Called Home Depot and they said contact the manufacturer.

This after 2 hours wasted with it, and they want me to waste even more time
to make up for a faultily manufactured Homelite weed trimmer.

I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME DEPOT,
and writing the whole thing off to experience.

Home Depot has a 30 day return policy. This little episode will cost them
much more than the weed trimmer, due to this post and other public exposure
of this problem.

effi

Jun 8, 2002, 12:38:35 PM6/8/02

Alf

Jun 8, 2002, 12:48:45 PM6/8/02
I thought home depot has 90 days return policy. At least, in my area they
do.

Me

Jun 8, 2002, 1:14:31 PM6/8/02
i will still shop at home depot, and im sure everybody else will because
sometimes you get defective merchandise. The retailer can't prevent that.
They have no way of knowing until it is out of the box. It happens to
everybody.

-CHRIS

Edwin Pawlowski

Jun 8, 2002, 1:22:48 PM6/8/02
/
"effi" <ef...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:3d023...@newsa.ev1.net...
> Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
> month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
> Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.
> Went to start it the 3rd time and it will not start, even after a new plug
> and new gasoline-mix.

Probably the choke or carb setting. These thing can be fussy and difficult
to set. Considering it is Homelite, it may be worn out already.

> The plug is getting fire and there is fuel spraying into the combustion
> chamber when the throttle lever is pulled.
>
> Called Home Depot and they said contact the manufacturer.

Do you really think the clerks at HD know about these things? What do you
want them to do? Does the manual have an 800 number to call?

> I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME
DEPOT,

I honestly don't think HD will send a purchase order to Homelite for 1,000
defective trimmers, and 500 defective chain saws. I agree that you should
not buy Homelite. I had one of their chain saws. It may still be in the
woods where I tossed it. Spend a few bucks more and buy a tool from a worthy
manufacturer. Your rant against Home Despot is unfounded. They have no
reason to warranty anything for the rest of your life.

Muff

Jun 8, 2002, 1:51:18 PM6/8/02
effi, reset the kill switch. Ain't Home Depots fault that you can't operate
the thing.
Muff

KS

Jun 8, 2002, 2:00:38 PM6/8/02
In article <3d023...@newsa.ev1.net>, ef...@ev1.net says...

> Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
> month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
> Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.
>
> I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME DEPOT,
> and writing the whole thing off to experience.
>
> Home Depot has a 30 day return policy. This little episode will cost them
> much more than the weed trimmer, due to this post and other public exposure
> of this problem.

About the only thing getting public exposure that your cheap, bought
something cheap then have the gall to whine about it not working in a
public forum. Its NOT Home Depot's problem, its Homelite's and yours.

Next time do a little research before buying, then see if you can rent a
crowbar to pry that wallet out of your pocket.

Gary Harper

Jun 8, 2002, 2:10:39 PM6/8/02
Every home owner should learn how to work on small engines if they don't
already know how. But then again, it's nice to be able to buy supposedly
"broken" stuff from homeowners who don't know how to clean a carb.

d-birdy

Jun 8, 2002, 8:11:53 PM6/8/02

"effi" <ef...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:3d023...@newsa.ev1.net...
Home depot is my favorite place in the whole world to buy stuff ant to get
good fix it information. Do you want me to give up my only pleasure in life
because you can't make a stupid string trimmer work? Besides home depot
didn't make the stupid thing, they just bought it and you are just as stupid
because you cant make it work. d-birdy

*** Banned Newsgroups ***
No-Limits, Privacy and Anonymous!!!
Try us for FREE at www.goliathnews.com

Gary Slusser

Jun 8, 2002, 10:21:49 PM6/8/02

"effi" <ef...@ev1.net> wrote

What the hell is the matter with you! Or, why do you waste time
trimming? You need to repair your place so no trimming is needed. And
stop blaming the retailer for a manufacturer's problem. Kids... can't
even follow directions when they ask for information and help.

jim

Jun 8, 2002, 10:42:14 PM6/8/02
to effi
did you let it sit for a month and a half with the fuel in it?? if so
then thats the problem... clean out the old fuel and put in a new
oil/gas mixture and try to start it up....

Gina Fierro

Jun 9, 2002, 8:41:44 AM6/9/02
"effi" <ef...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:3d023...@newsa.ev1.net...

I agree with all of you that are saying it's NOT HD's fault. I have never
had a problem with HD's products or service. If the proper research was
done on this product before it was purchased you would have known better
than to buy it. Tools are a very important investment and when you are
going to put money into an investment do you not do the proper research.

Gina Fierro - gi...@duffertech.com
http://www.kingcountyhomes4sale.com - Seattle Area Real Estate

LeDogae

Jun 9, 2002, 8:51:46 AM6/9/02
Effi,

There are ways to complain, and ways to complain. Based on your post, I
would say that what you need to repair is your approach to complaining.

First, be pleasant. This doesn't mean acting your "normal" self, this means
acting like you should when you're meeting your future in-laws for the first
time. Treat everyone graciously, from the minimum-wage cashier at the
returns desk to the store manager and above.

Second, be there in person. Home Depot has their return desk at the front
entrance in almost every store. NOTHING will spook a savvy shopper more
than someone standing in line with a broken item similar to the one they are
about to buy.

Third, be impartial but convincing. Calmly explain to the employee the
details of the defect, and tell them how it makes you feel (angry,
disappointed, ripped off) WITHOUT actually FEELING those emotions. One
generic line that I coined and employ goes something like "I do a lot of
business with (company name), and have come to expect the best products and
customer service from you. This is why my problems with this (product) are
so disappointing and frustrating to me. It's just not up to your usual
standards. Do you think there is anything you can do to help me, or anyone
who can help me get a (repair/replacement/refund). I would GREATLY
appreciate it." This line, or something close to it, works in every
situation from airlines to credit cards.

Fourth, be honest. If you screwed it up by running it on the wrong fuel,
dropping it in a creek, leaving it outdoors, or bumfuzzled it with an
attempted repair, tell them.

Fifth, don't get personal. It's not the employees', the companies', or your
fault. It probably just happened. You are trying to get them on your side,
trying to get them to help you, and trying to make it easy for them to help
you. "What can WE do to get this replaced?"

I have NEVER had a problem returning things to either of the major home
improvement warehouses in my area.

JCH

Jun 9, 2002, 9:03:47 AM6/9/02
Not that its a good thing to do so, but leaving gas in the tank for a
month and a half should not be the cause of an engine not starting.

David Iacono

Jun 9, 2002, 9:45:15 AM6/9/02
I returned a gas blower at HD after at least 6 months it was very hard to
start and had one flying lesson across yard, wings did no engage another
defect . I had no problems they said all I had to do was drain the gas when
I said were they did it for me. the proper way to return something is on
Saturday at 10:00AM when store is full. Home is the store you love and hate
but it's the best show in town

Arturo Jaime'

Jun 9, 2002, 10:34:05 AM6/9/02
LeDogae wrote:

> Effi,
>
> There are ways to complain, and ways to complain.

And proper places to do it. Liek where the tightwad bouth the pos i the
first place. Not in ahr.

> First, be pleasant.

> Second, be there in person.
>

> Third, be impartial but convincing.
>

> Fourth, be honest.

> Fifth, don't get personal.

And sixth, leave this horse shit out of a home REPAIR forum..

Arturo Jaime'

Jun 9, 2002, 10:54:31 AM6/9/02
David Iacono blathered drunkenly with spittle running down his chin:

> I returned a gas blower at HD after at least 6 months it was very hard to
> start and had one flying lesson across yard, wings did no engage another
> defect . I had no problems they said all I had to do was drain the gas when
> I said were they did it for me. the proper way to return something is on
> Saturday at 10:00AM when store is full. Home is the store you love and hate
> but it's the best show in town

It is important NOT to be shit-faced drunk when rUturning things as well.
It also helps one's writing skills (assuming they have any) to not be in the
bag when replying to a usenet post..

Gary Harper

Jun 9, 2002, 11:48:16 AM6/9/02
I leave it in mine all winter and it runs fine in the spring.

David Iacono

Jun 9, 2002, 2:28:20 PM6/9/02
Anal Jaime wrote Take your bullshit elsewhere bla bla bla
It must be nice looking down your long Nose at everybody else. I could
imagine what you would be like if you thought you got taken. You would phone
20 Lawyers

David Iacono

Jun 9, 2002, 2:31:46 PM6/9/02
Sorry if I "blathered drunkenly" I did not mean to offend the village Idiot

AKA

Jun 9, 2002, 3:55:27 PM6/9/02
David Iacono wrote:

> Sorry if I "blathered drunkenly" I did not mean to offend the village Idiot
>
> "

Don't sweat it. Muff's easily offended..

AKA

Jun 9, 2002, 3:58:30 PM6/9/02
David Iacono wrote:

> Sorry if I "blathered drunkenly" I did not mean to offend the village Idiot
>
> "

don't sweat it. Muff's easily offended..

whiz444

Jun 9, 2002, 7:37:37 PM6/9/02
David

Home and the other can work wings in many what we have here!

Bob

PS Give me another toke.

"Arturo Jaime'" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

cbhvac

Jun 9, 2002, 9:46:47 PM6/9/02
Actually...depending on the grade of fuel, two weeks is all you need for it
to be crap...

Cape Cod Bob

Jun 10, 2002, 12:03:17 AM6/10/02
On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 20:05:06 GMT, Arturo Jaime' <@.com> wrote:

>KS wrote:
>>
>> In article <3d023...@newsa.ev1.net>, ef...@ev1.net says...
>> > Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
>> > month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
>> > Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.
>> >
>> > I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME DEPOT,
>> > and writing the whole thing off to experience.
>> >
>> > Home Depot has a 30 day return policy.

Did you even try to take it back to HD and explain what happened or
call Homelite or those options too sissified for a he-man bitcher like
you are?
CapeCodBob

http://home.earthlink.net/~bobmethelis/

Lawrence Wasserman

Jun 10, 2002, 9:39:35 AM6/10/02
In article <3d023...@newsa.ev1.net>, effi <ef...@ev1.net> wrote:
<...snipped...>

>...there is fuel spraying into the combustion

>chamber when the throttle lever is pulled.

<...snipped...>

Really?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwas...@charm.net

Miles

Jun 10, 2002, 3:21:35 PM6/10/02
"LeDogae" <led...@yooha.com> wrote in message news:<CbIM8.56434$Ir1.3...@twister.southeast.rr.com>...

At the risk of sounding like a shill for HD, I've never even had them
question me as to why I was returning an item, regardless of
price...as long as I had the receipt. My returns have been painless
experiences that rarely take more than a couple of minutes.

PoCambo

Jun 10, 2002, 6:38:05 PM6/10/02
>From: "effi" effi

>I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME DEPOT,
>and writing the whole thing off to experience.

Not homedepots fault return it or take it to a repair place to get it fixed for
free its underw arrenty.

Matt

Jun 11, 2002, 12:24:32 AM6/11/02
"effi" <ef...@ev1.net> wrote in news:3d023...@newsa.ev1.net:

> Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
> month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
> Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.
>
> Went to start it the 3rd time and it will not start, even after a new
> plug and new gasoline-mix.
>
> The plug is getting fire and there is fuel spraying into the combustion
> chamber when the throttle lever is pulled.
>
> Called Home Depot and they said contact the manufacturer.
>
> This after 2 hours wasted with it, and they want me to waste even more
> time to make up for a faultily manufactured Homelite weed trimmer.
>

> I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME
> DEPOT, and writing the whole thing off to experience.
>

> Home Depot has a 30 day return policy. This little episode will cost
> them much more than the weed trimmer, due to this post and other public
> exposure of this problem.

You are the reason that no one wants to sell anything to anyone anymore.
Home Depot is not responsible for MANUFACTURING the products it sells,
it just sells them!

Homelite IS responsible for manufacturing it, and for repairing it
under the terms of their warranty, as provided under the Magnuson-
Moss Warranty Act of the United States Federal Government. You have
to take it to an AUTHORIZED Homelite Service Dealer for repair, if
it is a defect. If it is not a defect, you will have to pay for the
repair. And, since you bought it at Home Depot, instead of the
AUTHORIZED SERVICE DEALER, don't expect him (or her) to be very
sympathetic. You get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay
for service, you don't deserve to get it.

Matt
Outdoor Power Equipment technician for over 30 years.

RB

Jun 12, 2002, 12:11:34 PM6/12/02
> sympathetic. You get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay
> for service, you don't deserve to get it.

The service he seems to want is that which is included in the price,
whatever that happened to be: The guarantee that the product would perform
reliably as represented by the manufacturer. I don't think that is
unreasonable.

Try this angle:
"Bring that Homelite Trimmer to my shop, or another independent authorized
Homelite dealer. If it's under warranty I will fix it at no charge to you.
If it is not covered by warranty, I will give you a repair estimate and fix
it at a reasonable cost. And next time you need outdoor power equipment,
give your local independent a shot at your business."

Edwin Pawlowski

Jun 12, 2002, 4:01:01 PM6/12/02

"RB" <r...@wmautomotive.com> wrote in message

> The service he seems to want is that which is included in the price,
> whatever that happened to be: The guarantee that the product would
perform
> reliably as represented by the manufacturer. I don't think that is
> unreasonable.

You are correct. However, it is the manufacturer, not HD, that has to make
good on the product if defective. It worked out of the box, now three
months later he expects the seller to make good. It may not be defective,
but could be user error. We have no way of telling this. He should seek
help from Homelite or their authorized representative. And be prepared to
pay if it is a problem caused by the user.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Bob G.

Jun 13, 2002, 6:32:25 AM6/13/02

Ekal, Bnek wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:24:32 -0000, Matt <mgNO14...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> >"effi" <ef...@ev1.net> wrote in news:3d023...@newsa.ev1.net:
> >
> >> Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
> >> month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
> >> Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.
> >>
> >> Went to start it the 3rd time and it will not start, even after a new
> >> plug and new gasoline-mix.
> >>
> >> The plug is getting fire and there is fuel spraying into the combustion
> >> chamber when the throttle lever is pulled.
> >>
> >> Called Home Depot and they said contact the manufacturer.
> >>
> >> This after 2 hours wasted with it, and they want me to waste even more
> >> time to make up for a faultily manufactured Homelite weed trimmer.
> >>
> >> I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME
> >> DEPOT, and writing the whole thing off to experience.
> >>
> >> Home Depot has a 30 day return policy. This little episode will cost
> >> them much more than the weed trimmer, due to this post and other public
> >> exposure of this problem.

=======================================
Your experience may make me think twice about buying a homelite product BUT what has
Home Depot got to do with your problems...?

Bob Griffiths

Henry J Sniadoch

Jun 13, 2002, 8:31:11 AM6/13/02
I bought a snow blower from Home Depot. It was delivered and when I put
gasoline in it and oil, I started it up, and it would miss while running. I
called HD and they eventually picked it up and delivered another new one.
That one missed too. So I went to the manager who insisted there was
nothing wrong with it. I asked him if he owned a snow blower and he said
no. I told him I owned a snow blower for 15 years and mine didn't miss
while running. He eventually agreed to have a mechanic look at it and he
fixed the problem. But I went through two weeks of hassling first.
"Bob G." <rg...@fred.net> wrote in message

Pamini

Jun 13, 2002, 9:28:16 AM6/13/02
In article <3d023...@newsa.ev1.net>, effi says...

>Bought a new Homelite gasoline-mix powered weed trimmer about a
>month-and-a-half ago. Used it twice.
>Properly: mixed the fuel; operated it; and stored it.
>
>Went to start it the 3rd time and it will not start, even after a new plug
>and new gasoline-mix.
>
>The plug is getting fire and there is fuel spraying into the combustion
>chamber when the throttle lever is pulled.
>
>Called Home Depot and they said contact the manufacturer.
>
>This after 2 hours wasted with it, and they want me to waste even more time
>to make up for a faultily manufactured Homelite weed trimmer.
>
>I plan on buying a new weed trimmer, NOT HOMELITE, AND NOT FROM HOME DEPOT,
>and writing the whole thing off to experience.
>
>Home Depot has a 30 day return policy. This little episode will cost them
>much more than the weed trimmer, due to this post and other public exposure
>of this problem.

They also sell defective drills.
Pamini

Birdie