OT. Farm Buyout

Dean Hoffman

Nov 29, 2022, 7:23:41 PM11/29/22
The Dutch government intends to buy and close about 3,000 farms to cut nitrogen emissions.
<https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/netherlands-buy-out-and-close-farms-meet-climate-goals>
The Netherlands is the 2nd largest exporter of ag products, The USA is 1st.
I think Singapore tried to limit the amount of fertilizer its farmers could apply. Yields dropped a bunch.

rbowman

Nov 29, 2022, 9:21:08 PM11/29/22
On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 16:23:37 -0800 (PST), Dean Hoffman wrote:

> The Dutch government intends to buy and close about 3,000 farms to cut
> nitrogen emissions.

Note to self: stock up on imported Gouda and Edam cheese.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Nov 29, 2022, 10:09:54 PM11/29/22
I'm more partial to aged cheddar
but if it's gouda I'm after -
- I'll buy mine locally :

https://mountainoakcheese.ca/

John T.

Peeler

Nov 30, 2022, 3:28:04 AM11/30/22
On 30 Nov 2022 02:21:00 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Note to self: stock up on imported Gouda and Edam cheese.

Note to your self: when will you stop being infatuated with hearing yourself
talking?

--
Gossiping "lowbrowwoman" about herself:
"Usenet is my blog... I don't give a damn if anyone ever reads my posts

rbowman

Nov 30, 2022, 10:07:30 AM11/30/22
I'll buy gouda occasionally, particularly smoked, but most of it is
domestic. A couple of imports I do buy are Kerrygold's Dubliner and
Hofmeister-Champignon's Cambozola.

I really miss Vermont cheese. When I was a kid the little stores would
have a big wheel and slice off what you wanted. It defined 'sharp'.
Dubliner is as close as I can come around here.

Scott Lurndal

Nov 30, 2022, 10:25:13 AM11/30/22

Frank

Nov 30, 2022, 10:55:35 AM11/30/22
Kind of stupid to talk about nitrogen emissions when they actually mean
ammonia. Also not the farms growing crops but livestock such as
chickens with feces emitting ammonia. Not sure how much free ammonia is
emitted from fertilizer which is for the plants and farmers would not
wan to lose it.

EPA has rules on declaring ammonia emissions from manufacturing and
friend in the EPA says it confused the hell out of farmers in them
having to declare emissions to the EPA.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Nov 30, 2022, 11:44:18 AM11/30/22
On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 15:25:05 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
" vegetarian rennet " .. who knew ! ?.
< lots of people, but not me >
John T.

Peeler

Nov 30, 2022, 12:21:00 PM11/30/22
On 30 Nov 2022 15:07:22 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> I'll buy gouda occasionally

HIGHLY interesting, senile Yankietard! I just was wondering whether the
resident bigmouth of ahr buys Gouda regularly or only occasionally. And
there you are, telling everyone gladly in anticipation again. LOL

--
More typical idiotic senile gossip by lowbrowwoman:
"It's been years since I've been in a fast food burger joint but I used

rbowman

Nov 30, 2022, 10:23:10 PM11/30/22
On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 11:44:43 -0500, hubops wrote:

> " vegetarian rennet " .. who knew ! ?.
> < lots of people, but not me >
> John T.

Gotta keep the ovo-lacto vegetarians happy. That's a blooming market.

RJH

Dec 1, 2022, 2:51:31 AM12/1/22
Bizarre. As that article says, the emissions will simply shift to another part
of the world.

It seems the Dutch hand was forced by the EU because of their system of land
and industry certification. From my reading it seems it lacks the solid
commitments around future performance. More here:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/30/peak-polluters-last-chance-close-dutch-government

https://www-raadvanstate-nl.translate.goog/actueel/nieuws/%40115651/pas-mag/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

What I don't follow is why they don't change the system of certification. Or
make veganism mandatory :-)

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Peeler

Dec 1, 2022, 3:24:40 AM12/1/22
On 1 Dec 2022 03:23:03 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Gotta keep the ovo-lacto vegetarians happy. That's a blooming market.

But what keeps YOU happy? Hearing yourself talking, OBVIOUSLY! No way for
you to hide it! LOL

--
More of the senile gossip's absolutely idiotic senile blather:
"I stopped for breakfast at a diner in Virginia when the state didn't do

I also lived in Ft. Wayne for a while."

MID: <t0tjfa$6r5$1...@dont-email.me>

trader_4

Dec 1, 2022, 7:16:45 AM12/1/22
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 2:51:31 AM UTC-5, RJH wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2022 at 00:23:37 GMT, Dean Hoffman wrote:
>
> > The Dutch government intends to buy and close about 3,000 farms to cut
> > nitrogen emissions.
> > <https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/netherlands-buy-out-and-close-farms-meet-climate-goals>
> > The Netherlands is the 2nd largest exporter of ag products, The USA is 1st.
> > I think Singapore tried to limit the amount of fertilizer its farmers could
> > apply. Yields dropped a bunch.
> Bizarre. As that article says, the emissions will simply shift to another part
> of the world.

This is the same stupidity as Biden begging other countries to pump more oil,
while going to war with the US oil industry instead of taking steps to encourage
more US oil production. Biden has also depleted our national security oil reserve
by almost half to try to lower prices going into the election. That reserve is there
for true emergencies where oil is not available, not to try to lower prices after
you've done everything you can to raise them.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/biden-declares-drilling-during-last-minute-rally-democratic-gov-kathy-hochul

While wrapping up the speech, a climate protester shouted something at Biden that made him seem visibly annoyed.

"No more drilling," Biden said.

After the protester continued to shout at him, he shot back, sounding even more irritable: "There is no more drilling. I haven’t formed any new drilling."

The protester could then be heard making objections to "offshore drilling" in the Antarctic and the Gulf of Mexico.

"That was before I was president. We’re trying to work on that to get that done," Biden responded.