Repair pipe where saddle valve used to be

Percival P. Cassidy

Aug 22, 2008, 12:59:35 PM8/22/08
I have two saddle valves on copper piping -- one for the fridge, the
other for a filtered drinking water spigot. If I replace these by Tee
fittings (but not in the same locations), what's the best way to seal
the old holes?

Perce

Oren

Aug 22, 2008, 1:19:44 PM8/22/08

Solder...

Percival P. Cassidy

Aug 22, 2008, 2:11:11 PM8/22/08
On 08/22/08 01:19 pm Oren wrote:

>> I have two saddle valves on copper piping -- one for the fridge, the
>> other for a filtered drinking water spigot. If I replace these by Tee
>> fittings (but not in the same locations), what's the best way to seal
>> the old holes?

> Solder...

Just fill the holes with solder? I thought of that but wasn't sure it
would have enough mechanical strength on its own.

Perce

dpb

Aug 22, 2008, 2:14:15 PM8/22/08

Quite common repair technique, actually.

If you're uncomfortable there are some sleeve clamps you can use but I
think they're generally overkill for the purpose.

http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/projects/how-to-fix-a-small-copper-pipe-leak-using-a-repair-clamp/

Jeff Wisnia

Aug 22, 2008, 2:22:22 PM8/22/08
If you are leary about doing that you could cut the pipe at the saddle
valve hole and rejoin them with a soldered on slip coupling. (The kind
of straight solder coupling which does not have a center stop ring so it
can be slid completely onto one pipe end and then pulled back onto the
other one.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Wayne Whitney

Aug 22, 2008, 3:16:37 PM8/22/08
On 2008-08-22, Jeff Wisnia <jwi...@conversent.net> wrote:

> If you are leary about doing that you could cut the pipe at the saddle
> valve hole and rejoin them with a soldered on slip coupling. (The kind
> of straight solder coupling which does not have a center stop ring so it
> can be slid completely onto one pipe end and then pulled back onto the
> other one.)

This will work well as long as you have enough play in one side of the
pipe to deflect it away to slip the coupling on.

Otherwise, you'd need to make two cuts and use two couplings. Or if
the place where you are going to put in the tee is nearby, you could
just replace the section between the old saddle valve and the new tee.

Cheers, Wayne

tra...@optonline.net

Aug 22, 2008, 3:40:21 PM8/22/08
On Aug 22, 3:16 pm, Wayne Whitney <whit...@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

I would think the difficult part about just using solder coulb be
getting the pipe clean. The saddle valves leave a slight depression
in the pipe. So running emery cloth or sandpaper over it to clean, it
could be harder to get the spot at hole cleaned off.

Message has been deleted

Oren

Aug 22, 2008, 4:29:30 PM8/22/08

Heat the pipe and seal the two small holes you have from saddle
valves; needle/pin perforation into a copper pipe.

Not difficult, at all...

Mikepier

Aug 22, 2008, 5:08:35 PM8/22/08

> Of course there is no reason you cant just leave the saddle valves on
> the pipes.  Turn them off and forget about them.

Thats what I thought. Just leave the valves on and shut them. Why risk
making things into a project?

Limp Arbor

Aug 22, 2008, 9:11:05 PM8/22/08
On Aug 22, 12:59 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" <nob...@notmyISP.net>
wrote:

Billy Mays here for Mighty Putty.

Mighty Putty can seal that hole.
There's nothing you can't do with Mighty Putty.

Any job, big or small, Mighty Putty repairs them all.

www.mightyputty.com

B.M.

Slightly Graying Wolf

Aug 22, 2008, 10:30:49 PM8/22/08

That commercial always makes me chuckle. I love the red ceramic tile repair
on the web page, you can't even see where it was broken off any more.

LOL

George

Aug 23, 2008, 9:24:48 AM8/23/08

If you are replacing them with tees wouldn't you need to cut and shorten
the tubing to fit the tee?

beecrofter

Aug 23, 2008, 11:38:44 AM8/23/08
On Aug 22, 12:59 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" <nob...@notmyISP.net>
wrote:

Slice a repair coupling into two c shaped pieces, clean , flux and
solder over the holes.

Oren

Aug 23, 2008, 1:17:32 PM8/23/08

OP never mentioned the copper pipe size. I've never seen a 1/4 inch
coupling for a copper line that size (ice maker line). Guessing the
holes are no bigger than a pencil lead. Solder them shut...

Don & Lucille

Aug 23, 2008, 4:38:38 PM8/23/08
They do make 1/4 in couplings
"Oren" <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

beecrofter

Aug 24, 2008, 11:43:13 AM8/24/08
On Aug 23, 1:17 pm, Oren <O...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:38:44 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter

Usually a saddle tap pierces 1/2" copper supply line and feeds the
fridge via 1/4". Odds are the hole is in the 1/2" supply.
Have you ever seen a saddle tap to pierce 1/4" for anything other than
refrigerant?

Oren

Aug 24, 2008, 1:13:02 PM8/24/08
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 08:43:13 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
<beecr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Usually a saddle tap pierces 1/2" copper supply line and feeds the
>fridge via 1/4". Odds are the hole is in the 1/2" supply.
>Have you ever seen a saddle tap to pierce 1/4" for anything other than
>refrigerant?

Oops. I stand corrected. I have a valve that I never used from an ice
maker kit. It is for 1/2 inch pipe. Thanks.

Stormin Mormon

Aug 25, 2008, 11:40:41 AM8/25/08
Shut off the water.

Remove the saddle valves, and use your tubing cutter to cut the copper tube
EXACTLY where the pinhole is.

Now, drain the water as best you can. Shake the copper tube, to shake out
the last of the water. Sweat on the T fittings where you just cut. Very
simple.

Since you are putting the T fittings in different places, go to your
plumbing suply and ask for "slip couplers" for that tubing size. You can
either cut the tubing, and repair with slip couplers. Or, you can saw the
slip couplers long wise. Sand the pipe and couplers, flux em up. Lay the
half-coupler over the hole. Heat, and solder. The half-coupler should patch
over the hole. Follow the same counsel, to shut off the water, drain the
pipes, etc.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" <nob...@notmyISP.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Aug 25, 2008, 11:42:32 AM8/25/08
In the case of 1/4 actual OD tubing, it's called 1/8 water copper. Go
figure. Anyhow, water doesn't pierce 1/4 actual OD tubing. However, I have
seen sweat tee, or compression tee for 1/4 actual (which is called 1/8 water
copper).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"beecrofter" <beecr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

George

Aug 25, 2008, 7:53:03 PM8/25/08

So I am not the only one scratching his head about how repairing a hole
in a supply line from a tap became a repair of 1/4" tubing?

Sam

Feb 18, 2017, 3:44:05 PM2/18/17
replying to Percival P. Cassidy, Sam wrote:
Use Flex Tape

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/repair-pipe-where-saddle-valve-used-to-be-326621-.htm

trader_4

Feb 18, 2017, 4:22:45 PM2/18/17
Flex tape on copper water lines? Not in my house.

DerbyDad03

Feb 18, 2017, 5:00:02 PM2/18/17
On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 3:44:05 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
> replying to Percival P. Cassidy, Sam wrote:
> Use Flex Tape

It took you 8.5 years to come up with that stupid suggestion?

Please step back from the keyboard.

gfre...@aol.com

Feb 18, 2017, 6:48:39 PM2/18/17
I agree. The closest I would come to a patch would be to tap the hole,
run in a very short brass screw and solder it in.
If I could get to it easily I would cut it right at the hole and put a
sweat coupling in or a compression coupler if you can't get a torch in
there.

DerbyDad03

Feb 18, 2017, 8:01:26 PM2/18/17
I go with a SharkBite over a compression fitting, but that's just me.

gfre...@aol.com

Feb 19, 2017, 12:22:11 AM2/19/17
Everyone seems to be in love with Sharkbites but I think I trust a
compression ring over an O ring.

DerbyDad03

Feb 19, 2017, 8:59:31 AM2/19/17
In my case it's not "love", it's experience and convenience. I've had both types of fittings
in my house for many years. I have Sharkbites that are at street pressure, connecting
copper to PEX. 10 years, maybe a bit more. Never a problem.

Without a doubt they are easier to install in a cramped location than both sweated and
compression fittings. I've got nothing against compression fittings, but I also have complete
trust in SharkBite fittings.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 19, 2017, 10:33:29 AM2/19/17
On 2/19/2017 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>> Everyone seems to be in love with Sharkbites but I think I trust a
>> compression ring over an O ring.
>
> In my case it's not "love", it's experience and convenience. I've had both types of fittings
> in my house for many years. I have Sharkbites that are at street pressure, connecting
> copper to PEX. 10 years, maybe a bit more. Never a problem.
>
> Without a doubt they are easier to install in a cramped location than both sweated and
> compression fittings. I've got nothing against compression fittings, but I also have complete
> trust in SharkBite fittings.

I had a compression fitting that would leak about once a year. It is in
a PITA spot to get to, of course. Put in a Sharkbite and no problems so
far for 4 years.

Possible i just had the one in a million bad compression fittings but
I'm not going to try another.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Feb 19, 2017, 10:39:40 AM2/19/17
Nobuddy but an idiot uses a saddle valve.

DerbyDad03

Feb 19, 2017, 11:05:32 AM2/19/17
The only compression fittings I have are from when I first bought the house
and hadn't tried sweating copper yet. Most of the sinks didn't have individual
shut-offs so I installed compression shut-offs. (SharkBites weren't available
yet.) I replaced most of the compression shut-offs with sweated shut-offs
during renovations, but a few still remain.

For years I had street pressure for the front hose bib but reduced house
pressure in the back yard. The street pressure pipe was in a location
where it would have been tough to sweat a T into. In addition, running
copper from the front of the house to the rear - over the duct work - would
have been a real PITA. Lots of short pieces, sweating (or compression)
in the joist bays, etc.

Then I heard about SharkBites. One T at the front of the house, a single
length of PEX over the duct work, and a SharkBite elbow to transition back
to copper at the back of the house. That was the end of wimpy watering for
SWMBO's multiple gardens.

As I said, >10 years at street pressure with no problems.