How to remove the toilet flange plug?

Mike E. Fullerton

Oct 3, 2009, 12:31:21 AM10/3/09
In a new construction I have two toilet flanges. Both have this plug I
have never seen before. It is on pretty solid. It has a little tab on it
sticking up. I tried to pull on the tab with pliers but it won't come
off and I'm worried I'll break it. How do you take these things off?

Colbyt

Oct 3, 2009, 8:20:04 AM10/3/09

"Mike E. Fullerton" <infor...@spamkiller-remove-techie.com> wrote in
message news:ftAxm.25637$lR3....@newsfe25.iad...

Hold the tab with pliers while hitting inside the rim with a hammer so the
big pieces dob't go down the chute.

A third hand allows one to use a dull punch or chisel to better control the
blows.

Colbyt

Joe

Oct 3, 2009, 12:41:47 PM10/3/09
On Oct 3, 7:20 am, "Colbyt" <col...@-SPAMBLOCK-lexkyweb.com> wrote:
> "Mike E. Fullerton" <inforequ...@spamkiller-remove-techie.com> wrote in
> messagenews:ftAxm.25637$lR3....@newsfe25.iad...

> > In a new construction I have two toilet flanges. Both have this plug I
> > have never seen before. It is on pretty solid. It has a little tab on it
> > sticking up. I tried to pull on the tab with pliers but it won't come off
> > and I'm worried I'll break it. How do you take these things off?
>
> Hold the tab with pliers while hitting inside the rim with a hammer so the
> big pieces dob't go down the chute.
>
> A third hand allows one to use a dull punch or chisel to better control the
> blows.
>
> Colbyt

Use large size ViseGrips on the tab, then follow Colbyt's advice.

Joe