Installing fence

Dommie

Oct 14, 2021, 11:01:22 AM10/14/21
I am having a 6' wooden fence put up in my grandson's backyard. There is a gas line that runs where a post would go by the side of his brick house. Can I attach the fence to the house without a post?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/installing-fence-3163055-.htm

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 14, 2021, 11:48:16 AM10/14/21
On 10/14/2021 11:01 AM, Dommie wrote:
> I am having a 6' wooden fence put up in my grandson's backyard. There is
> a gas line that runs where a post would go by the side of his brick
> house. Can I attach the fence to the house without a post?

Sure, anchor a proper sized board to the wall and attach the fence to
it. Depending on the material, simple angle brackets could do the job.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 6:18:44 PM10/14/21
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 11:01:22 AM UTC-4, Dommie wrote:
> I am having a 6' wooden fence put up in my grandson's backyard. There is a gas line that runs where a post would go by the side of his brick house. Can I attach the fence to the house without a post?

Some will say that attaching a fence directly to a house isn't a good idea
since seasonal movement may be different between the two items. Is that
an overblown concern? Maybe, but it's a possibility.

In addition, there may be trim in the way or something else that prevents
a nice looking transition from house to fence. In your case, considering
it's a brick house, maybe you want to avoid a direct connection just because
attaching *anything* to a brick house takes a bit more care and expertise.
Doable, sure, but what if there was a viable alternative? Such as...

Depending on where the gas line is, an option that is sometimes used is
to put the post 6", 1', 2', whatever, away from the house and then run your
fence past the post right up to the house without actually attaching it to
the house. Up to a certain point, a small amount of "extension" shouldn't
be an issue.

Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of packing my van for a fence install this
weekend. Vinyl, not wood. We got about 1/3 done a couple of weekends
ago. This weekend should be interesting. We have to put a post right
in the middle of an asphalt driveway. My daughter's boyfriend (it's her
house) works for his dad's concrete company. Driveways, sidewalks, even
counter tops. He assures me that he and his dad have a plan for the driveway
post. I hope so.

We had to trim the bottoms of about 120 pickets, at various lengths, to keep
the tops level. We will probably have to do the same on the other side.

https://i.imgur.com/KmvAEod.jpg

micky

Oct 15, 2021, 2:36:34 AM10/15/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:18:41 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 11:01:22 AM UTC-4, Dommie wrote:
>> I am having a 6' wooden fence put up in my grandson's backyard. There is a gas line that runs where a post would go by the side of his brick house. Can I attach the fence to the house without a post?
>>

>Some will say that attaching a fence directly to a house isn't a good idea
>since seasonal movement may be different between the two items. Is that
>an overblown concern? Maybe, but it's a possibility.

I also don't like putting holes in the walls of my house, even if it's
between the bricks.

>In addition, there may be trim in the way or something else that prevents
>a nice looking transition from house to fence. In your case, considering
>it's a brick house, maybe you want to avoid a direct connection just because
>attaching *anything* to a brick house takes a bit more care and expertise.
>Doable, sure, but what if there was a viable alternative? Such as...
>
>Depending on where the gas line is, an option that is sometimes used is
>to put the post 6", 1', 2', whatever, away from the house and then run your
>fence past the post right up to the house without actually attaching it to
>the house. Up to a certain point, a small amount of "extension" shouldn't
>be an issue.

You beat me to it.

>Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of packing my van for a fence install this
>weekend. Vinyl, not wood. We got about 1/3 done a couple of weekends
>ago. This weekend should be interesting. We have to put a post right
>in the middle of an asphalt driveway. My daughter's boyfriend (it's her
>house) works for his dad's concrete company. Driveways, sidewalks, even
>counter tops. He assures me that he and his dad have a plan for the driveway
>post. I hope so.

What can the plan be? To pave right over it!

Let us know how this goes.

>We had to trim the bottoms of about 120 pickets, at various lengths, to keep
>the tops level. We will probably have to do the same on the other side.
>
>https://i.imgur.com/KmvAEod.jpg

But the tops are not level!!