is it possible to modify or change these heater registers for use with filters?

Albert A

Nov 25, 2021, 10:53:54 AM11/25/21
My home has these continental heater registers:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/617bE9ddvfS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is it possible to either modify or replace these with something that
would allow the use of replaceable air filters? Thanks.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 25, 2021, 11:35:23 AM11/25/21
yDoes the central unit have a filter already? You can possible add
better filtration there too, UV light, etc.

If so, adding more filtration adds more restriction and back pressure
and cause more problems that what it may solve. You may get less even
heating as the velocity changes.

Before making a permanent change I'd get some filter material. Cut it
to size and tape it over the existing vent and see what it does.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 25, 2021, 11:35:30 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:53:47 -0500, Albert A <albe...@aol.com>
wrote:
You want the filter(s) in the return grill not the supply.
What do the returns look like?

Bob F

Nov 25, 2021, 1:02:50 PM11/25/21
Filtering the air going into the furnace does a much better job of
protecting the furnace's internal workings and the house.

Filters at the cold air return grates would probably be an easier
solution than at the outlets.