Two new water pressure regulators. Won’t hold pressure

Lunker

Nov 21, 2021, 7:01:49 PM11/21/21
I Replaced/changed out pressure regulator 3 times. Flushed out any possible debris. Tried setting at 50 and 60psi. After turning water on then off, it continues to be erratic, sometimes keeping correct pressure & sometimes randomly increasing pressure slowly, to 80 or 100 or at times up to 120 psi Have 2 pressure gauges. Have put them on an outside spigot & inside on washing machine Regulator is located in an irrigation box at least 12”under the ground next to garage (not at all easy to get at) Outside temperatures are mild & not an issue. I’m stumped. Something else must be going on here. Any ideas?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/two-new-water-pressure-regulators-won-t-hold-pressure-3170380-.htm

Lunker

Nov 21, 2021, 8:01:47 PM11/21/21
Looked at reviews for this brand/model. Mystery solved. Bad product: Zurn Wilkins 70xl. Many have had exact same issue with these. Very disgusted.

Dean Hoffman

Nov 21, 2021, 8:08:20 PM11/21/21
I used to fix center pivot irrigation. The factory used Senninger regulators.
<https://www.senninger.com/product-line/Nursery-and-Greenhouse-Pressure-Regulators>. They're not adjustable.

trader_4

Nov 25, 2021, 9:07:23 AM11/25/21
Aren't most of these just one way valve systems, ie that they stop water flow in
when the desired pressure is reached, but don't have a return path? If so, then
something is raising the pressure after it reaches the target pressure, like a
water heater expanding the water. Is there an expansion tank on the system?

Dean Hoffman

Nov 25, 2021, 9:28:27 AM11/25/21
There's a good article here.
<https://www.beswick.com/resources/the-basics-of-pressure-regulators/>

The expansion tank would have to be downstream of the regulator. I wonder if the pressure
increases are happening when the flow is next to zero.