PELLA WINDOWS: darn SCREENS fall out! Solutions, fixes?

David Combs

Jun 3, 2002, 2:46:10 AM6/3/02
We got these Pella windows -- really nice, pretty,
all that.

But the darned screens fall out!

(You'd think that for all the money those windows
cost, they'd find some way to more-firmly attach
the screens, no?)

---

I doubt that we're the only ones suffering this.

What tricks, hacks, or whatever have people used
to solve the problem?

(Lucky for us, thus far the ones that have fallen
out have landed on an adjoining roof only a foot
or three down. Else we'd have to be buying new
screens!

Needless to say, I'd like to come up with *some*
fix (string and chewing gum?) before one falls
out where there's no nice roof just under it,
but rather a 20-foot fall!)

Thanks!

David

Joe

Jun 3, 2002, 9:46:48 AM6/3/02
<< What tricks, hacks, or whatever have people used to solve the problem? >>

There aren't any tricks. My Pella screens have 4 metal clips to hold them in
and they lock solidly. Maybe Pella shipped you the wrong screens, so it's worth
a call to their customer service. Pretty unusual.

Joe

Don Phillipson

Jun 3, 2002, 6:56:10 AM6/3/02
"David Combs" <dkc...@panix.com> wrote in message

> We got these Pella windows -- really nice, pretty,
> all that.
> But the darned screens fall out!

> . . . (Lucky for us, thus far the ones that have fallen

> out have landed on an adjoining roof only a foot
> or three down. Else we'd have to be buying new
> screens!

Well, at least we now know you are talking
about sash window screens (fitted outside the
glass pane) not casement window screens
(fitted inside.) The difference is that casement
screens are secured by at least one hook for
every 3 feet of window edge (maximum 6 hooks
in mine) but the sash screens are held in place
by only two spring-loaded pins, one on each side.

Were yours supplied with defectively weak springs?
What did the Pella vendor say?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Don Phillipson

Jun 3, 2002, 6:56:10 AM6/3/02
"David Combs" <dkc...@panix.com> wrote in message

> We got these Pella windows -- really nice, pretty,

> all that.
> But the darned screens fall out!

> . . . (Lucky for us, thus far the ones that have fallen

> out have landed on an adjoining roof only a foot
> or three down. Else we'd have to be buying new
> screens!

Well, at least we now know you are talking

Matt

Jun 3, 2002, 5:57:01 PM6/3/02
I just bought some new pellas too, in fact i have 4 more to install
still.. iI havent had the problem. Ours have a p[iece at the top which
must be hooked in and the two hooks on either side. (double hung ).
sounds like you have a defect or somethings not installed correctly..
you have the install directions that came with the screens and
followed directions? I could see how someone could overlook the top
part hooking in.

David Combs

Jun 5, 2002, 3:09:25 PM6/5/02
Well, thanks for the responses.

Turns out that, yes, the screens (all of them)
do have the four within-screen-edge lever-things,
two each on left and right vertical sides of screen.

And, the levers were of course pushed down, flat,
once the screen(s) were snugly fit into the
frame.

And no (to wife's suggestion), I did not hit
those lever-things with my elbow my mistake.

And yet, *two* of these screens (different windows)
have fallen out!

---

I'll say one thing -- it's a little incongrous, the
fancy (expensive!) window-part being (seemingly)
*so* well made, compared with the screens, lightweight,
flimsy, screen-material itself so light-weight that
your're afraid to even lightly *touch* it because
your finger might break through.

Especially poor is that cheap-as-shit plastic hand-hold
at the bottom -- which cheap-as-shit plastic hand-hold
can *pull-out&away* from the bottom screen-edge
it's *supposed* (for all the money paid)
to be (strongly?) attached to.

---

Now, from time to time we *do* get 30/40 mph winds
here (15 miles north of NYC), but surely nothing
worse than what you guys get blowing onto *your* houses.

Again, it's not just one screen that's already
fallen out, but two.

David

jdoyle

Jun 6, 2002, 3:07:38 PM6/6/02

My name is Larry Brewman. I thought you might want to try a company I use
for all of my screening jobs. Screen Den is the company name. You can view
their site at www.screenden.com.
Might be worth a look to you. Their screens roll up manually and are of top
quality (20x20) vinyl coated fiberglass. Good Luck!

"David Combs" <dkc...@panix.com> wrote in message

Matt

Jun 7, 2002, 1:39:13 PM6/7/02
David,

that is a point, they are a tad flimsy looking. I bought the pella proline
double hung windows, is that what you bought? I understand its in pella's lower
end of products. perhaps their higher end windows have better quality screens?
In any case mine are fine and Im not going to worry about it unless i do get a
rip or something. you should call pella though. its got the warranty, use it if
needed.

Harry

Jun 7, 2002, 4:28:41 PM6/7/02
This is just a guess, but if your windows aren't all the same size, perhaps
you've unintentionally put the wrong screens of the wrong windows?

I have a house full of Pella windows with no problem.

"David Combs" <dkc...@panix.com> wrote in message

> Turns out that, yes, the screens (all of them)
> do have the four within-screen-edge lever-things,
> two each on left and right vertical sides of screen.
>
> And, the levers were of course pushed down, flat,
> once the screen(s) were snugly fit into the
> frame.

> David

David Combs

Jun 11, 2002, 6:53:50 AM6/11/02