Re: Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

BobR

Mar 1, 2011, 3:49:48 PM3/1/11

Steve Barker wrote:
> On 3/1/2011 12:52 AM, mm wrote:
> > Wash walls from bottom up or top down??
> >
> > For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
> > and I've never understood it.
> >
> > Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
> > convince me that that is the proper way.
> >
> > Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
> > dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
> > part above it wet. And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
> > over again.
> >
> > Helpful advice appreciated.
>
> Same as cars. Wash from the bottom up, rinse from the top down. you
> can't see where you've been washing if you get the whole thing wet by
> starting at the top.

Totally different circumstances. Yes, on a car you wash from the
bottom up because washing a car is generally a two step process of
wash with soap followed by rinse. The reason to start at the bottom
is simply to keep the areas already washed wet until the rinse is
done. If you allow areas to dry in the process the rinse is not
likely to remove the dried on soap and dirt. Washing a wall isn't
normally a two step process.

> --
> Steve Barker
> remove the "not" from my address to email

Country

Mar 1, 2011, 6:29:30 PM3/1/11
On Mar 1, 12:52 am, mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Wash walls from bottom up or top down??
>
> For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
> and I've never understood it.
>
> Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
> convince me that that is the proper way.
>
> Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
> dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
> part above it wet.  And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
> over again.
>
> Helpful advice appreciated.

The reason you start at the bottom and go up is because if you start
at the top and some of the water drips down the dry part wall it will
streak and those streaks are hard, if not impossible, to scrub off.
And I know from experience.

-C-

Message has been deleted

aemeijers

Mar 1, 2011, 9:34:29 PM3/1/11
On 3/1/2011 1:06 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

> On 3/1/2011 11:46 AM, Joe wrote:
>> On Mar 1, 12:52 am, mm<NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>> Wash walls from bottom up or top down??
>>>
>>> For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
>>> and I've never understood it.
>>>
>>> Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
>>> convince me that that is the proper way.
>>>
>>> Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
>>> dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
>>> part above it wet. And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
>>> over again.
>>>
>>> Helpful advice appreciated.
>>
>> Why wash it at all? Just paint right over it. No one will be the
>> wiser.
>>
>> Joe
>
> Hell all this time i thought we were talking about exterior walls and
> pressure washers. WHY the hell would you "wash" an interior wall?

Raised any kids lately? Ever tried repainting a heavily-used kitchen in
any house, or any wall in a house with smokers, without doing a
scrub-down first?

Just sayin'

--
aem sends...

mm

Mar 2, 2011, 12:15:21 PM3/2/11
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:53:33 -0800, Smitty Two
<prest...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>In article <so6qm6957l546e8j6...@4ax.com>,
> mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> I got myself a new (to me) harvest gold stove, and I'm just cleaning
>> where it will go.
>
>So does it match the fridge? I didn't see the last of that thread.

The thread sort of fizzled out while I was waiting for the second guy
to get back to me.

Yes, it matches the fridge perfectly, even though it's a GE and the
fridge is Whirlpool, and, of course, that means it matches the first
stove too,

It looks great, very clean, NO scratches. Clock works, oven works.
She told me everything works, and she wasn't lying for the money. I
got it Sunday and cooked a store-bought frozen pie last night Tuesday.
The self-cleaning is dependent on the clock so it probably works.
Most of the oven is spotless, even most of the oven gasket looks new
with a little browning on 20 or 30%.

He asked for $100 and when I give him 120, either because it is so
nice or because I think he arranged to have a friend come home with
him after church and they carried it up the stairs and to my friend's
truck, he gave back the other 20**.

It's about 1/2 inch shorter than mine, and mine was 30 inches but the
top piece was about 29.5, so the fact that the counter was 1/2 inch
wider than the dishwasher worked out. (It was still hard to get the
old stove out or in. I had to tip it on its front legs because the
control panel in back was the full 30 inches and couldn't slide by the
counter.) Anyhow, to get this one in I took out the baseboard on the
other side, so that allows the whole stove to move a half inch to the
left.

The seller had bought his house 4 years ago. This was his first
email. "I have that stove and it's in ridiculously good condition. We
moved it downstairs when we renovated the kitchen. The woman who owned
the house before us was supposedly OCD, so she kept things really
clean."

They also had her refrigerator downstairs, a white one, and plan to
replace this stove with another. The wife said her mother and her 2
aunts had two stoves and two fridges and so she does too, and oh,
yeah, it is good when/if they have a party.

But on the phone he had implied that he wasn't trying to sell the
stove. I asked about that, and he said he was looking for fire wood
and he searched on fire on Craig's list and found my ad that referred
to my having a fire. Who knows how many of these stoves there are
that people would sell for the right price but they don't know if
anyone's looking.

I had them right next to each other last night and took pictures,
although the last time I tried to post pictures it went badly. :(

The first guy answered me two days after the ad appeared and I wrote
him right away. Then he didnt' get back to me at all until his wife
did a week later.

A day or two before I saw the stove, someone else replied, sending a
picture and wanting me to make an offer. I wrote him three times and
he never wrote back, but since the first couple took a week to write
back, I waited more than a week for the second guy. I told him, If I'm
willing to driv 30 minutes each way, you know I'm serious. I don't
know why he didn't write back. But if he had, it would have made
choosing harder.

**(My friend with the truck is 74 and normally doing half of this
would be nothing for him, but he's having arthroscopic surgery on his
knee tomorrow and couldn't use that leg for much, and I had pushed for
using the basement door because I'm out of shape and would run out of
wind if we had gone up the stairs, but his toddler's toys were all
over the place in front of the basement door, and the ground was still
wet, so I guess he wanted to use the stairs and the front double
doors, and I think he arranged to go to church with his friend and his
little kids.)

The Heat On indicator lights are smaller and dimmer than mine were.
Had to turn off the light over the stove to be sure if they were on,
but that's the sort of thing one faces with every new thing one buys.

Red Green

Mar 2, 2011, 12:52:17 PM3/2/11
Steve Barker <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in

> On 3/1/2011 8:37 AM, Red Green wrote:
>> mm<NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

>>> Wash walls from bottom up or top down??
>>>
>>> For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
>>> and I've never understood it.
>>>
>>> Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
>>> convince me that that is the proper way.
>>>
>>> Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
>>> dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
>>> part above it wet. And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
>>> over again.
>>>
>>> Helpful advice appreciated.
>>

>> Oh boy. Here we go. Outlet ground pin up or down...
>
> Down of course. Up looks stupid and doesn't fit 90 degree cords.
>

> Up looks stupid

Finally! An answer that can't be refuted.

mm

Mar 1, 2011, 1:52:39 AM3/1/11

David Nebenzahl

Mar 1, 2011, 2:01:24 AM3/1/11
On 2/28/2011 10:52 PM mm spake thus:

I think you've got washing walls confused with shingling roofs.

Shingling roof: start at the bottom and work your way up.

Washing wall: start at the top.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

The Daring Dufas

Mar 1, 2011, 2:53:18 AM3/1/11
On 3/1/2011 1:01 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
> On 2/28/2011 10:52 PM mm spake thus:
>
>> Wash walls from bottom up or top down??
>>
>> For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
>> and I've never understood it.
>>
>> Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
>> convince me that that is the proper way.
>> Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
>> dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
>> part above it wet. And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
>> over again.
>> Helpful advice appreciated.
>
> I think you've got washing walls confused with shingling roofs.
>
> Shingling roof: start at the bottom and work your way up.
>
> Washing wall: start at the top.

When you take a shower, where do you start, top or bottom? ^_^

TDD

mm

Mar 1, 2011, 5:19:35 AM3/1/11
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 01:52:39 -0500, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3HWoh2RDzoQJ:www.housekeepingchannel.com/a_127-Wall_Washing_Secrets+how+to+wash+a+wall&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
"Just about every book we've read on the subject, and every person
we've ever talked to, says to wash walls from the bottom up."

However this guy goes on to say he prefers from the top down, and two
or three others say the same thing. That's what I wanted to do in the
first place, so I will.

But like he says, everything *I* ever read before tonight said from
the bottom up.

Thanks.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 1, 2011, 7:28:37 AM3/1/11
The explaination I heard. I don't believe it, but here's how
it went. Washing top to bottom, the water running down into
the dirty wall mixes with the dirt, and makes a mixture
that's hard to clean off. When washing bottom up, it's
really easy to see the drips, and wipe them off the clean
area. I was told that by a woman, years ago. I don't think
that makes sense.

Me, I'd clean from top to bottom. That way I don't have
dribbles messing up the clean area I just did.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Jim Elbrecht

Mar 1, 2011, 8:20:54 AM3/1/11
mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

I always go from top to bottom. [Disclaimer; 90% of the time I'm just
prepping for a paint job.]

>For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
>and I've never understood it.

Pure theory here-- If you start at the bottom, it will be easy to see
when the drips from where you are washing start to be clear,
indicating that your wall is really clean.

>Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
>convince me that that is the proper way.
>
>Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
>dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
>part above it wet. And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
>over again.

Do one wall from the bottom up. Do another from the top down. Does
one seem easier? Ask your most honest friend to tell you which wall
looks better.

I'd never heard of washing from the bottom up-- but I'd be interested
in the results.

Jim

Art Todesco

Mar 1, 2011, 8:55:08 AM3/1/11
On 3/1/2011 7:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> The explaination I heard. I don't believe it, but here's how
> it went. Washing top to bottom, the water running down into
> the dirty wall mixes with the dirt, and makes a mixture
> that's hard to clean off. When washing bottom up, it's
> really easy to see the drips, and wipe them off the clean
> area. I was told that by a woman, years ago. I don't think
> that makes sense.
>
> Me, I'd clean from top to bottom. That way I don't have
> dribbles messing up the clean area I just did.

This is exactly what my mother used to say and do when she lived in
a house located in a very dirty factory area. In this house, 1 year
and the walls were filthy. One wipe of the rag or sponge, and you
could literally see a major color change. She always said that if
the dirty water drips on the already clean area, you can easily wipe
it clean. However, my houses have been in relatively clean
environments, so I really don't think it makes a difference in my case.

Red Green

Mar 1, 2011, 9:37:15 AM3/1/11

> Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

Oh boy. Here we go. Outlet ground pin up or down...

Stormin Mormon

Mar 1, 2011, 9:39:57 AM3/1/11
WD-40 is a lubricant. Everyone knows that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" <postm...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

mm

Mar 1, 2011, 11:19:15 AM3/1/11
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:20:54 -0500, Jim Elbrecht <elbr...@email.com>
wrote:

A good idea. At the moment, I have less than 2 feet of one wall to
do, but it reminded me of the question. But later I'll be doing more.

And I ruined this test by doing the part of the wall in the middle,
that didn't need a step stool; and I didn't do the bottom because it's
covered by the stove and I can't get to it until the stove is out.

I got myself a new (to me) harvest gold stove, and I'm just cleaning
where it will go.

>I'd never heard of washing from the bottom up-- but I'd be interested
>in the results.
>
>Jim

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll decide later, when I start to
paint more of the house.

Harry K

Mar 1, 2011, 11:33:25 AM3/1/11
On Mar 1, 6:37 am, Red Green <postmas...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote innews:1p5pm6ttmjbgpir6u...@4ax.com:

I satisfied everyone, I put mine sideways :)

Harry K

JIMMIE

Mar 1, 2011, 11:45:49 AM3/1/11

Start washing you will figure it out in about 5 minutes.

Jimmie

BobR

Mar 1, 2011, 11:49:48 AM3/1/11

I never like to do anything more than once. (With respect to cleaning
something.) Cleaning from the top down means that I don't have to go
back over an area that I have already cleaned because of dirty water /
cleaning solution running down on an already clean area. If I am
doing a wall, the last thing I want to have to do is get down off my
ladder to reclean an area that I have already done. I don't know
where you read the clean from the bottom up but it goes against
everything I have ever heard, seen, or logically concieved.

Joe

Smitty Two

Mar 1, 2011, 12:53:33 PM3/1/11

> I got myself a new (to me) harvest gold stove, and I'm just cleaning
> where it will go.

So does it match the fridge? I didn't see the last of that thread.

Steve Barker

Steve Barker

Mar 1, 2011, 1:04:30 PM3/1/11
On 3/1/2011 8:37 AM, Red Green wrote:

Down of course. Up looks stupid and doesn't fit 90 degree cords.

Steve Barker

Mar 1, 2011, 1:04:51 PM3/1/11
On 3/1/2011 8:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> WD-40 is a lubricant. Everyone knows that.

since it's basically kerosene... no it's not.

Steve Barker

Mar 1, 2011, 1:06:17 PM3/1/11
On 3/1/2011 11:46 AM, Joe wrote:

Hell all this time i thought we were talking about exterior walls and

pressure washers. WHY the hell would you "wash" an interior wall?

SteveB

Mar 1, 2011, 2:36:02 PM3/1/11

>>> For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
>>> and I've never understood it.

Car wash instructions: Wash from bottom up, rinse from top down. That
makes no sense. If you wash the bottom, then wash dirt on top of that, what
good is it? Rinsing from the top makes sense, though, keeping dirt under the
rinse line.

Whatever.

Steve

Jbad

Apr 5, 2016, 12:44:06 PM4/5/16
replying to mm, Jbad wrote:
My Mom said that if you start at the top, the drips will make streaks and the
streaks will show when you finish washing the wall. I didn't believe her,
washed a wall from the top and the streaks made me crazy.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wash-walls-from-bottom-up-or-top-down-623688-.htm

thekma...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2016, 12:59:01 PM4/5/16
Or wash a fire engine?

Micky

Apr 5, 2016, 4:59:55 PM4/5/16
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 09:58:52 -0700 (PDT), thekma...@gmail.com wrote:

>On 3/1/2011 1:01 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
>> On 2/28/2011 10:52 PM mm spake thus:
>>
>>> Wash walls from bottom up or top down??
>>>
>>> For decades I've read that when washing walls, start at the bottom,
>>> and I've never understood it.
>>>
>>> Now I have to wash a wall, and I need someone to explain it to me, to
>>> convince me that that is the proper way.
>>> Seems to me if you start at the bottom and get it clean, there will be
>>> dirt running down the wall onto the clean part as soon as I get the
>>> part above it wet. And I'll have to clean the bottom parts over and
>>> over again.
>>> Helpful advice appreciated.
>>
>> I think you've got washing walls confused with shingling roofs.

No, he's right that that's what they say.

I've never understood it either. My solution has been to never wash
my walls. Anyone complains, I have a good reason.

burfordTjustice

Apr 5, 2016, 5:05:20 PM4/5/16
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:44:01 +0000
Jbad <caedfaa9ed1216d60e...@example.com> wrote:

> replying to mm, Jbad wrote:
> My Mom said that if you start at the top, the drips will make streaks
> and the streaks will show when you finish washing the wall. I didn't
> believe her, washed a wall from the top and the streaks made me
> crazy.

However the Mexican wants to do them is how they get done.

Oren

Apr 5, 2016, 6:43:01 PM4/5/16
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:44:01 +0000, Jbad
<caedfaa9ed1216d60e...@example.com> wrote:

>My Mom said that if you start at the top, the drips will make streaks and the
>streaks will show when you finish washing the wall. I didn't believe her,
>washed a wall from the top and the streaks made me crazy.

So you wash from the bottom up and have dirt from the top streak down
onto the already clean bottom wall. Are you a red bellied Brit or
what? Get a refund.

Stormin Mormon

Apr 5, 2016, 10:23:50 PM4/5/16
On 4/5/2016 4:59 PM, Micky wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 09:58:52 -0700 (PDT), thekma...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On 3/1/2011 1:01 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
>>> On 2/28/2011 10:52 PM mm spake thus:

>>> I think you've got washing walls confused with shingling roofs.
>
> No, he's right that that's what they say.
>
> I've never understood it either. My solution has been to never wash
> my walls. Anyone complains, I have a good reason.

I was told years ago, if you wash walls top
down, the drips and dribbles go into dirt.
The resulting some thing is far harder to
clean, rather than having the dribbles go
into clean wall. Not sure I believe it.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Apr 5, 2016, 10:44:29 PM4/5/16
Wash from the bottom up, rinse from the top down.. A single step
cleaning doesn't work very well, from either top or bottom.

Art Todesco

Apr 6, 2016, 8:40:51 AM4/6/16
When I was a kid in the 50s, we lived in a factory area. There was even
a steel processing plant across the street. I was pretty dirty. You
had to wash the walls at least once a year. You even had to wash the
walls before you painted. Anyway, my mother used to always wash from
the bottom up. She said if the did it the other way and you dribble
down, the dirt makes streaks that are impossible to remove. When you
wash from the bottom up and you dribble below, the dirty dribbles are
easily wiped away with the cloth or sponge. I think you must wash, say
a 4' or 5' wide swath and then go up and then repeat the next area. In
reality I really don't know as I have always lived in a pretty clean
area and never had to wash walls, except for kid marks.

Micky

Apr 6, 2016, 12:55:46 PM4/6/16
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 22:23:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/5/2016 4:59 PM, Micky wrote:

>> No, he's right that that's what they say.
>>
>> I've never understood it either. My solution has been to never wash
>> my walls. Anyone complains, I have a good reason.
>>

>I was told years ago, if you wash walls top
>down, the drips and dribbles go into dirt.
>The resulting some thing is far harder to

So dirty dirt is harder to get off than less dirty dirt?

This brings up the issue of laundry. What is "ground in dirt". I can
see that if your crawling along the ground, putting weight on the
dirty parts of your pants. But short of that, why is it harder to
get really dirty clothes clean. Isn't most of the dirt resting on the
first layer of dirt, so once that comes off, it should take all the
dirt on top of it with it.

Echo

Apr 23, 2016, 6:44:05 PM4/23/16
replying to aemeijers, Echo wrote:
"Ever tried repainting a heavily-used kitchen in any house, or any wall in a
house with smokers, without doing a scrub-down first?" Actually, my painter
did that. Prime with Kilz. It seals and covers smokers' walls just fine.

As far as the top down/bottom up controversy, it never goes away. Here's a
question that might make the answer obvious: How do you clean your kitchen
appliances or cabinets? Top down, right? Does it make any difference that
there are drips? No, because you get them as you go downward. I can't IMAGINE
working from bottom up and constantly having to go back and clean up drips. It
seems insane to me. All that extra work to re-clean a surface you just cleaned!

Bubba

Nov 15, 2016, 1:14:04 AM11/15/16
replying to clare, Bubba wrote:
This is the most logical explanation I've heard to date.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wash-walls-from-bottom-up-or-top-down-623688-.htm

Rusty

Aug 10, 2017, 5:44:07 PM8/10/17
replying to mm, Rusty wrote:
Basically it's like this. concrete wall or stucco wall is very porous. If you
start at the bottom you're basically filling the pores with clean water. If
you start at the top dirty water will run down and fill the pores below. When
the wall dries what's in the pores is how the wall will look. Starting from
the Bottom clean. starting from the top streaks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wash-walls-from-bottom-up-or-top-down-623688-.htm

MW

Sep 17, 2017, 3:14:06 PM9/17/17
replying to thekmanrocks, MW wrote:
BOTTOM UP! If using extremely dry ! damp sponge or whatever rag blah
thoroughly wrung out! then a trace of your cleaning agent/solution say for
example:::::: cleaning wall off with tsp, its BOTTOM UP! to avoid streaking
from your hand / applicator motions. IF excessively wet TOP DOWN naturally HA!

Silly gillie

Mar 30, 2019, 6:44:06 PM3/30/19
replying to Micky, Silly gillie wrote:
That’s what my mother taught me. When I questioned her, she said it was to
avoid streaking stains left by clean wall water running down on to the dirty
wall and leaving streaks that won’t come out.

Silly gillie

Mar 30, 2019, 6:44:07 PM3/30/19
replying to Stormin Mormon, Silly gillie wrote:
That’s what my mother taught me.

micky

Mar 30, 2019, 8:50:05 PM3/30/19
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 30 Mar 2019 22:44:02 GMT, Silly gillie
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to Micky, Silly gillie wrote:
>That’s what my mother taught me.

What is what your mother taught you?

> When I questioned her, she said it was to

What is "it"?

rbowman

Mar 30, 2019, 9:58:20 PM3/30/19
On 03/30/2019 04:44 PM, Silly gillie wrote:
> replying to Stormin Mormon, Silly gillie wrote:
> That’s what my mother taught me.

Stormin Mormon has been dead for a couple of years. Maybe he's washing
walls wherever Mormons go to. Kolob? Kobol? I can never remember.

Jakez

Jan 15, 2022, 12:31:37 AM (5 days ago) Jan 15
Absolutely not, you wash cars from the top down. All the heavy dirt and dust from the road is on the car and is thickest at the bottom. If you start at the bottom its going to be like dragging sandpaper across your entire vehicle.

If you really want to do it right use 2 buckets, 1 with just clean water and 1 with your car wash product, and you dunk your sponge in the clean water bucket after washing each section to get off most of the loose dirt and then dunk in your soap/water bucket afterward then wash next section, etc. This way you aren't washing your car with dirty azz soap/water.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wash-walls-from-bottom-up-or-top-down-623688-.htm

Jakez

Jan 15, 2022, 12:31:37 AM (5 days ago) Jan 15
Washing from the bottom up you're going to be dragging heavy dirt all over your car and leaving swirls marks and scratches. Don't wash in direct sunlight and you shouldn't have to worry about it drying too fast.