How to cut round hole in metal siding?

Paint...@unlisted.moc

Nov 5, 2015, 6:57:44 PM11/5/15
I'm putting on some metal siding which comes in 3' wide sheets. (Ribbed
Pole Barn steel). There is a garden hose faucet there. My thought is to
shut off the water, unscrew the faucet, leaving just the pipe. But
lining up that pipe, while insuring the steel is properly lined up,
could be real tricky. Fortunately there is a coupler in the pipe only
about 16" inside, so I could remove that piece of pipe too. Then install
the siding, and cut the hole from the inside. (the pipe is 3/4" steel,
but is connected to plastic pipe, so I can move it slightly). My
question is how to cut that hole. Should I just use a hole saw, which
will pretty much ruin the saw, or is there another method or tool?

Ralph Mowery

Nov 5, 2015, 7:10:27 PM11/5/15

<Paint...@unlisted.moc> wrote in message
If you know an electrician that has a hole punch , use it. That is a device
where you bore a small hole and put a bolt through it. On one side is a cup
and the other side of the metel is placed a cutter and you just take a
wrench and screw the bolt to cut the hole.

John G

Nov 5, 2015, 7:21:37 PM11/5/15
on 6/11/2015, Ralph Mowery supposed :
I have one here on my desk but I am in Sydney Australia. :-?

Try HD or Lowes fo a metal cutting hole saw.

--
John G Sydney.

Unquestionably Confused

Nov 5, 2015, 7:27:37 PM11/5/15
Get either a bimetal or carbide toothed hole saw of the proper diameter.
Remove your sill cock as you've outlined, hang the siding and cut the
hole. It's siding, not armor plate. A new saw of either kind will make
it through. You're looking at maybe $20 if you need the arbor, 2/3rds
of that if you already have one.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 5, 2015, 7:41:10 PM11/5/15
I'd use a metal cutting hole saw. I have no idea why it would be ruined
on one hole of thin material

Alternative is a Greenlee punch if you can borrow one.

Ralph Mowery

Nov 5, 2015, 7:51:09 PM11/5/15

"John G" <joh...@green.com> wrote in message

> I have one here on my desk but I am in Sydney Australia. :-?
>
> Try HD or Lowes fo a metal cutting hole saw.

Should have said knockout punch. Harbor Freight has a set for $ 25.

Item #60575

I have a GreenLee set also, but too far away.

Stormin Mormon

Nov 5, 2015, 9:30:02 PM11/5/15
On 11/5/2015 7:56 PM, Paint...@unlisted.moc wrote:
Is that siding or battle ship armor? Shouldn't
kill a metal cutting hole saw. I like the idea
of cut from the inside. Clever.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Since You Axed

Nov 5, 2015, 9:52:59 PM11/5/15
On 11/5/2015 6:56 PM, Paint...@unlisted.moc wrote:
How good a shot are you? ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfb1WOLy3Z8

Oren

Nov 5, 2015, 9:59:26 PM11/5/15
Cut the hole like you would similar to pipe through drywall, except
use a different tool to cut the material.

Measure, mark and drill a small hole in center of the marked metal
spot -- then use left or right tin snips to cut a hole for the pipe.

Battle ships need a torch.

Oren

Nov 5, 2015, 10:18:31 PM11/5/15
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 18:56:41 -0600, Paint...@unlisted.moc wrote:

>Should I just use a hole saw, which
>will pretty much ruin the saw, or is there another method or tool?

Golly gee. How 'bout using a hole saw bit to cut a circle with a
drill? You must be from Canada, eh?

Is there a "saw" that cuts circles, please let me know.

DerbyDad03

Nov 5, 2015, 10:38:44 PM11/5/15
I've cut circles on my table saw many, many times.

Oren

Nov 5, 2015, 10:47:52 PM11/5/15
In metal? Maybe I could learn something.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 6, 2015, 12:52:07 AM11/6/15
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 18:56:41 -0600, Paint...@unlisted.moc wrote:

Bi-metal hole saw or a knockout punch

Micky

Nov 6, 2015, 1:04:05 AM11/6/15
Don't you have a liquid-solid modem? Probably not. They're about
$650 USA now, but they'll probably come down.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 6, 2015, 1:29:10 AM11/6/15
I cut aluminum on my table saw all the time and the trick to cut
circles is to have a pivot point (on a sled) and rough it in before
you start finishing the circle.

TimR

Nov 6, 2015, 8:37:35 AM11/6/15
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 9:59:26 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

> Battle ships need a torch.

Well........not necessarily.

I saw a guy cut a hole through the armor of a tank.

Actually I saw it just after he finished, it took him two years of weekends and inviting friends for beer.

The armor had to be close to a foot thick. It was a working tank so he couldn't use a torch, but it needed a window in front for legal reasons, to prevent possible nefarious use should it be stolen.

In the corner of the garage was a very large pile of wornout drill bits and cutoff saw blades. He drilled lots of holes next to each other then connected them with a cutoff saw.

Stormin Mormon

Nov 6, 2015, 9:48:21 AM11/6/15
On 11/6/2015 8:37 AM, TimR wrote:
> I saw a guy cut a hole through the armor of a tank.
>
> Actually I saw it just after he finished, it took him two years of weekends and inviting friends for beer.
>
> The armor had to be close to a foot thick. It was a working tank so he couldn't use a torch, but it needed a window in front for legal reasons, to prevent possible nefarious use should it be stolen.
>
> In the corner of the garage was a very large pile of wornout drill bits and cutoff saw blades. He drilled lots of holes next to each other then connected them with a cutoff saw.

That sure takes determination. Glad he was a
success after a while. Some folks have the
skill to resharpen drill bits. I was shown,
by a German locksmith.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 6, 2015, 10:51:10 AM11/6/15
In this case he wants a hole, not a circle, so you just do it in reverse
order.

DerbyDad03

Nov 6, 2015, 12:03:03 PM11/6/15

DerbyDad03

Nov 6, 2015, 12:21:39 PM11/6/15
This guy does it without a sled. I'm not into drilling holes in my TS
top, so this method is not for me.

Start at 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBeXiUmxsk

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 6, 2015, 12:58:47 PM11/6/15
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:21:32 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 1:29:10 AM UTC-5, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 19:47:42 -0800, Oren <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> >In metal? Maybe I could learn something.
>>
>> I cut aluminum on my table saw all the time and the trick to cut
>> circles is to have a pivot point (on a sled) and rough it in before
>> you start finishing the circle.
>
>This guy does it without a sled. I'm not into drilling holes in my TS
>top, so this method is not for me.
>
>Start at 5:20
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBeXiUmxsk

Over the years I have made lots of sleds and jigs for my table saw. I
have a router mounted under one of the wings so they can do double
duty. The router is really the best circle cutter but you can do it
with the saw.

DerbyDad03

Nov 6, 2015, 1:10:48 PM11/6/15
You could cut 2 dadoes at the same time!

Uncle Monster

Nov 6, 2015, 5:18:05 PM11/6/15
You might consider a plumbing boot which will seal the opening. You cut a large hole and the siding can expand and contract with temperature without interference from the pipe. ^_^

http://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/energy-saving-tips/energy-savings-seal-plumbing-and-wiring-holes/view-all

http://tinyurl.com/nlnueym

http://www.fabral.com/post-frame/accessories/pipe-boots/

[8~{} Uncle Boot Monster

Paint...@unlisted.moc

Nov 6, 2015, 8:23:21 PM11/6/15
Thank you. I have some of those hole punches. I never thought to use
them for this, since it's not electrical. Thats where this newsgroup
comes in handy! I have a 1/2" and a 3/4" knockout size. The 3/4" should
do the trick. If its a little tight, a half round file will fix that.

Terry Coombs

Nov 8, 2015, 9:08:14 PM11/8/15
Not only that , but he cuts into the rising blade , a recipe for disaster
IMO . He should have been rotating that piece of stock the other direction .
We had a big DeWalt RA saw in the wood shop at my high school . We
discovered that if we set it at about an inch above the table and fed them
the right direction is would launch 2x4 chunks quite a distance ... like
across the shop , thru a window , over about 50' of lawn and across the road
.
--
Snag