OT - just watched them hit an asteroid HEAD ON.

Bob F

Sep 26, 2022, 7:20:54 PMSep 26
Amazing pictures of the approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5cubU9QRI

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 26, 2022, 8:07:40 PMSep 26
On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 16:20:52 -0700, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Amazing pictures of the approach
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5cubU9QRI

I was hoping that Aaron Judge would hit his historic
home run at that moment ...
perhaps a cosmic singularity ! :-)
John T.

Sep 26, 2022, 9:14:31 PMSep 26
Anyone have a video of the OH S****** moment
right before the crash?

Thomas

Sep 26, 2022, 9:29:39 PMSep 26
Heck, I already have a Planetary Defender certificate.
Go to youtube nasa to replay it.

Dean Hoffman

Sep 27, 2022, 11:18:14 AMSep 27
On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 6:20:54 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
> Amazing pictures of the approach
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5cubU9QR

Pretend NASA diverts the asteroid from earth but it hits another planet. The lawyers for the
surviving creatures on that other planet sue earthlings for the loss. That would be. a drawn out court case.
NASA isn't launching Artemis for awhile if this is correct.
<https://spectator.org/nasa-gives-up-on-launching-artemis/>

micky

Sep 27, 2022, 3:27:02 PMSep 27
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 26 Sep 2022 16:20:52 -0700, Bob F
<bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Amazing pictures of the approach
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5cubU9QRI

Thanks for the video. I thought at the end I would see a crowd of
Asteroidians praying or screaming, but they all stayed inside, maybe
hiding in their basements. Still, it was worth watching.

Here's a shorter one if you want to see them screaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVUrsKkaNI

Bob F

Sep 27, 2022, 9:02:41 PMSep 27
Their expectation is that the asteroid will move into a slightly smaller
orbit around it's the larger one it is orbiting.

Marilyn Manson

Sep 27, 2022, 11:57:00 PMSep 27
I choose to get my updates from those that are authorized
to give updates. Headlines that imply that NASA “gives up on
launching” are a little misleading. Some might call it clickbait.

A couple of NASA folks are quoted here:

https://www.space.com/nasa-artemis-1-hurricane-ian-launch-options

Bob F

Sep 28, 2022, 8:37:10 AMSep 28
I just read about the LICIACube satelite that took pictures of the
collision results. It looks like it really made a mess of Dimorphos.

I was wondering that I had not heard of any effort to photograph the
aftereffects.

https://www.space.com/dart-asteroid-crash-first-photos-liciacube

Marilyn Manson

Sep 28, 2022, 8:54:55 PMSep 28
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 8:37:10 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
> On 9/27/2022 8:56 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:

> >> Pretend NASA diverts the asteroid from earth but it hits another planet. The lawyers for the
> >> surviving creatures on that other planet sue earthlings for the loss. That would be. a drawn out court case.
> >> NASA isn't launching Artemis for awhile if this is correct.
> >> <https://spectator.org/nasa-gives-up-on-launching-artemis/>
> >
> > I choose to get my updates from those that are authorized
> > to give updates. Headlines that imply that NASA “gives up on
> > launching” are a little misleading. Some might call it clickbait.
> >
> > A couple of NASA folks are quoted here:
> >
> > https://www.space.com/nasa-artemis-1-hurricane-ian-launch-options
> I just read about the LICIACube satelite that took pictures of the
> collision results. It looks like it really made a mess of Dimorphos.

I'm not sure what you mean by "really made a mess of".

A blurry picture of a bunch of debris coming off the surface can be misleading.

Dimorphos is estimated to have a mass of ~5 billion kg.

From https://www.axios.com/2022/09/27/in-photos-aftermath-nasa-dart-crash-dimorphos

"Before the collision, scientists estimated that DART's crash would excavate a crater on
the asteroid and blast between 22,000 and 220,000 pounds (between 9,979 and 99,790
kilograms) of ejecta, into space."

Assuming those estimates are correct, and assuming the worst case scenario, and playing
fast and and loose with the numbers, 100,000 / 5,000,000,000 = 0.002%

The average weight of an adult in the US is ~ 185 lb.

Playing fast and and loose with the numbers, 185 * 0.002% = 0.0037 lbs

I'm pretty sure that most of us wouldn't be a mess if we lost 0.0037 lbs due
to impact of, let's say, a grain of sand.

Dean Hoffman

Sep 28, 2022, 9:15:20 PMSep 28
On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 6:20:54 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
> Amazing pictures of the approach
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5cubU9QRI

I read the asteroid is 530' across. It was one thing to land on the moon with humans on board guiding the lander. This is really something.

micky

Sep 28, 2022, 10:29:21 PMSep 28
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:15:16 -0700 (PDT), Dean
Yeah. Just wait until it tries to take off again.

Bob F

Sep 29, 2022, 12:27:23 AMSep 29
It took them many moons to get there too. It looked to me like a
bullseye shot.

Sep 29, 2022, 12:38:40 AMSep 29
I wonder what kind of targeting system they used.
Borrow it from a Javelin missile maybe?

That think must have been going pretty fast too.
The kinetic energy must have been something!

Energy = (1/2) * mass * (velocity squared)

Marilyn Manson

Sep 29, 2022, 6:28:19 PMSep 29
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 12:38:40 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
> On 9/28/22 21:27, Bob F wrote:

> >> I read the asteroid is 530' across. It was one thing to land on
> >> the moon with humans on board guiding the lander. This is really
> >> something.
> >
> > It took them many moons to get there too. It looked to me like a
> > bullseye shot.
> >

> I wonder what kind of targeting system they used.
> Borrow it from a Javelin missile maybe?

Nope...

SMART Nav

Short for Small-body Maneuvering Autonomous Real Time Navigation

The fun part was that DART wasn't really focused on Dimorphos until
it was about an hour from impact. It was essentially tracking towards
the larger of the 2 asteroids - Didymos - (easier to see) but "knew" that
it eventually wanted to hit the smaller one.

Pretty neat stuff.

> That think must have been going pretty fast too.
> The kinetic energy must have been something!
>
> Energy = (1/2) * mass * (velocity squared)

Speed of DART at inpact: ~14,000 MPH
Mass of Dart at impact: 610 kg

Marilyn Manson

Sep 29, 2022, 6:31:15 PMSep 29
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 12:38:40 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
But isn't this all for naught?

Isn't God going to decide (assuming he hasn't already) if
and when an object from space will destroy the Earth?

Man could shift the orbit of every asteroid heading in our
direction, but if God says "See ya!", then "See ya!" it is.

Prove me wrong.

Scott Lurndal

Sep 29, 2022, 6:48:08 PMSep 29
Prove that a god, pick any one, actually exists.

Dean Hoffman

Sep 29, 2022, 7:05:58 PMSep 29
What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
<https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>

Scott Lurndal

Sep 29, 2022, 7:39:29 PMSep 29
I don't gamble, and your assumption is flawed.

Pascal designed his wager:

"to show the fallacy of attempting to use logical arguments to prove or disprove God"

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 30, 2022, 4:56:22 AMSep 30
On 2022-09-29, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
><https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>

I think it's limited. The choice isn't binary. There are thousands of
gods in the various belief systems. What if you pick Odin and it turned
out to be Zeus all along?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Marilyn Manson

Sep 30, 2022, 11:35:12 AMSep 30
I'm waiting for T to respond.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 3:33:42 PMSep 30
On 9/29/22 17:48, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[snip]

> Prove that a god, pick any one, actually exists.

I seem to remember a story about a man making a lot of money taking bets
on that. Bets that could never be paid.

--
86 days until the winter celebration (Sunday, December 25, 2022 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate." -
F.M. Knowles

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 3:36:34 PMSep 30
On 9/29/22 18:05, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

> What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
> <https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>

Which assumes that the value of life is 0.

micky

Sep 30, 2022, 5:12:46 PMSep 30
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:05:53 -0700 (PDT), Dean
" If we live as though God exists, and He does indeed exist, we have
gained heaven.". That would I think be true if God decides based on
one's acts, but not as many hold, he decides based on one's faith and I
think Pascal is talking about people who don't have faith that God
exists.

In addition, how to live as if God exists is not clear. Well it's clear
to me, but lots of other people have a different view and the link you
give has a different view of God too.

Also, I haven't read what Pascal himself said but this rendition seems
to put getting into heaven as one's chief priority.

micky

Sep 30, 2022, 10:16:38 PMSep 30
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:12:37 -0400, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>> What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
>><https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>
>
>" If we live as though God exists, and He does indeed exist, we have
>gained heaven.". That would I think be true if God decides based on
>one's acts, but not as many hold,

I meant: but as many hold..

Bob F

Oct 1, 2022, 1:55:26 AMOct 1
Don't hold your breath.

Oct 1, 2022, 3:26:06 AMOct 1
On 9/30/22 22:55, Bob F wrote:
>> I'm waiting for T to respond.
>
> Don't hold your breath.

Hi Bob,

I do not see Marilyn's postings. He or she whatever
he is is totally kill filed and have been for years.
Trader too. Both still write me though. I see
them quoted at times, but I seldom read them.

Science and religion comes at things from totally
different perspectives. Proving science with
religion or proving religion with science is like
proving you are good at gambling because you can
ride a pogo stick.

By the way, I do not believe in Jesus/God because
someone made a wonderful argument that persuaded
me. I believe because I have a personal relationship
with him and it is very, very obvious to me.

And the more you protest, the more I think you too
believe in him. We differ in that I love him and
your hate him.

-T

Sam E

Oct 1, 2022, 4:54:59 PMOct 1
On 10/1/22 02:24, T wrote:

[snip]

> By the way, I do not believe in Jesus/God because
> someone made a wonderful argument that persuaded
> me.  I believe because I have a personal relationship
> with him and it is very, very obvious to me.

You claim God wants everybody to believe, then he hides this "abundant
proof" from those who could use it. I got tired of playing those silly
games and don't worry about this "God", who never seems to do anything.

Dean Hoffman

Oct 2, 2022, 7:23:22 AMOct 2
The God of the Bible says it's Me or the highway. See ya later, bye. Jesus said that He is the long awaited Messiah. "No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6
He is either exactly who He claims to be or the most famous con man ever.
Pascal was Catholic. I did a little reading about him. It sounds as if he was nothing short of a genius.
Incidentally, Pascal's Law is at work when you step on your vehicle's brake pedal.
<https://www.britannica.com/science/Pascals-principle>

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 2, 2022, 7:51:02 AMOct 2
On 2022-10-02, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 3:56:22 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-09-29, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
>> ><https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>
>> I think it's limited. The choice isn't binary. There are thousands of
>> gods in the various belief systems. What if you pick Odin and it turned
>> out to be Zeus all along?
>>
>> --
>> Cindy Hamilton
>

> The God of the Bible says it's Me or the highway. See ya later, bye.

Sure. Allah says the same thing.

> Jesus said that He is the long awaited Messiah. "No one comes to the
> Father except through Me. John 14:6
> He is either exactly who He claims to be or the most famous con man ever.

Or he is whatever people believe him to have been.

> Pascal was Catholic. I did a little reading about him. It sounds as
> if he was nothing short of a genius.

Yes, he was a genius. But limited in his view of religion.

> Incidentally, Pascal's Law is at work when you step on your vehicle's
> brake pedal.
><https://www.britannica.com/science/Pascals-principle>

Yep, I know.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Scott Lurndal

Oct 2, 2022, 10:54:01 AMOct 2
Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> writes:
>On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 3:56:22 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-09-29, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
>> ><https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>
>> I think it's limited. The choice isn't binary. There are thousands of
>> gods in the various belief systems. What if you pick Odin and it turned
>> out to be Zeus all along?
>>
>> --
>> Cindy Hamilton
>

> The God of the Bible says it's Me or the highway.

The bible is a book, basically a collection of
folk tales, written by man.

It also claims priority (thou shall have no other gods before me), while
acknowleging other deities existance.

Sam E

Oct 2, 2022, 11:36:58 AMOct 2
On 10/2/22 06:23, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 3:56:22 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-09-29, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you think of Pascal's Wager?
>>> <https://www.gotquestions.org/Pascals-wager.html>
>> I think it's limited. The choice isn't binary. There are thousands of
>> gods in the various belief systems. What if you pick Odin and it turned
>> out to be Zeus all along?
>>
>> --
>> Cindy Hamilton
>

> The God of the Bible says it's Me or the highway. See ya later, bye. Jesus said that He is the long awaited Messiah. "No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Or course, it would first be necessary to establish that the Bible, of
unknown origin, is a reliable source.

> He is either exactly who He claims to be or the most famous con man ever.

Or nothing at all.

Dean Hoffman

Oct 2, 2022, 3:16:21 PMOct 2
On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 10:36:58 AM UTC-5, Sam E wrote:
> On 10/2/22 06:23, Dean Hoffman wrote:

> >> I think it's limited. The choice isn't binary. There are thousands of
> >> gods in the various belief systems. What if you pick Odin and it turned
> >> out to be Zeus all along?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >

> > The God of the Bible says it's Me or the highway. See ya later, bye. Jesus said that He is the long awaited Messiah. "No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6
> Or course, it would first be necessary to establish that the Bible, of
> unknown origin, is a reliable source.
> > He is either exactly who He claims to be or the most famous con man ever.
> Or nothing at all.

There are references to Jesus outside of the Bible if that's what you mean.
<https://www.adefenceofthebible.com/2015/12/17/non-biblical-writings-concerning-jesus/>
<https://www.gotquestions.org/content_apologetics.html>
Please take some time to investigate Bible apologetics or archeology.

micky

Oct 2, 2022, 11:49:06 PMOct 2
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 02 Oct 2022 14:53:54 GMT,
It means only that people made idols and those idols became their gods.

It doesn't mean there exist any other actual gods.

Oct 3, 2022, 2:21:51 AMOct 3
On 10/2/22 20:48, micky wrote:
>> priority (thou shall have no other gods before me), while
>> acknowleging other deities existance.

> It means only that people made idols and those idols became their gods.

It took me several read to understand what you said. Which
is weird as you were very clear. And you are correct.
It means there is only one god and do not make up other
ones, including yourselves.

Jim Joyce

Oct 5, 2022, 8:04:14 PMOct 5
On Sun, 02 Oct 2022 23:48:57 -0400, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
That sounds like an interpretation/opinion. I'm always wary when someone
tells me what something means, especially when I can see that it doesn't
say what they tell me it means.

Bob F

Oct 12, 2022, 7:30:25 AMOct 12

micky

Oct 16, 2022, 2:41:59 PMOct 16
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Oct 2022 19:04:07 -0500, Jim Joyce