Do I need to paint over Kilz

Pete Sharbo

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

Casey

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Pete,
As a primer, Kilz lacks the pigment necessary to cover, resulting perhaps
in a visually ugly paint job. Being shellac based, it's somewhat prone to
drying with some gloss; usually not desired in a ceiling finish.
Spend the bucks. Paint the ceiling. With "paint".
Casey

Pete Sharbo <psh...@westpub.com> wrote in article
<332F1F...@westpub.com>...

hi...@millcomm.com

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

In <332F1F...@westpub.com>, Pete Sharbo <psh...@westpub.com> writes:
>I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
>has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
>cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
>questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
>it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

Kilz doesn't contain a lot of pigment. After using it the stains will
still be visible. What it DOES do is keep them from bleeding through the
paint that you apply on top of the Kilz.

Dan Hicks
Hey!! My advice is free -- take it for what it's worth!
http://www.millcomm.com/~danhicks

R. Martin Caskey

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

On 19 Mar 1997, Kelley Mascher wrote:

> Since I'm at work this is from memory. I don't think Kilz is shellac
> based. BIN is the shellac based stain killer.

Unless things have changed very recently, KILZ is available in both
shellac based and water based. I've used both, and the shellac based is
far superior - and far smellier, etc. The water based, however, does a
good job, might need more than one coat, and drys looking acceptable for
some purposes.

> In another thread, people have complained about the cost of Kilz. I
> had the same reaction when I painted my house. The walls were cleaned
> and deglossed with TSP and in the bedrooms I used Kilz and then a
> latex topcoat. It looked great.
>
> In the living room I decided to save the cost of the Kilz and just
> clean and paint. After 4 coats of the same paint as the bedrooms
> I still had color and what I can only describe as previously invisible
> stains bleeding through. I finally went back over the whole thing with
> Kilz and one top coat and it looked great.

Blame the high cost, at least in part, on the lawyers of the world (and I
are one, so I'll say anything I damn well please!!). I handles a case
where a woman working in an office building complained about the odor in
the lobby one morning - nothing noxious, just not pleasant. She said
nothing further, the smell was gone in a short while, and the workers in
another part of the building who were using the KILZ (shellac) departed.
Almost THREE YEARS LATER, a suit is filed claiming she had various and
sundry problems from that admittedly single brief episode. As luck would
have it, her attorney (bless his little ambulance chasing heart) lost
track of her.

I understand that, at least in some places, you now have to sign a
release stating that you are aware of the hazards and that you have read
or will read the instructions, before you can buy the shellac based
KILZ. I always considered this somewhat like putting a warning on
Preparation-H that it is for external use only.

Martin Caskey
Towson, Maryland

Kelley Mascher

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Since I'm at work this is from memory. I don't think Kilz is shellac
based. BIN is the shellac based stain killer.

I haven't gotten around to top coating the Kilz I used in my bathroom
over a year ago, on top of a dark pink paint. It looks fine, and seems
to hold up to the moisture well.

It's certainly worth a try as a final coat. At the worst you will have
to put another coat of something else on later.

In another thread, people have complained about the cost of Kilz. I
had the same reaction when I painted my house. The walls were cleaned
and deglossed with TSP and in the bedrooms I used Kilz and then a
latex topcoat. It looked great.

In the living room I decided to save the cost of the Kilz and just
clean and paint. After 4 coats of the same paint as the bedrooms
I still had color and what I can only describe as previously invisible
stains bleeding through. I finally went back over the whole thing with
Kilz and one top coat and it looked great.

Really this isn't a Kilz ad. I'm sure BIN or one of the other stain
blocker/primers would work just as well. The point is, if you don't
know what kind of paint and stains are on the wall it will save you
a lot of time and money to seal the walls first. I hate painting.

Kelley

--
Kelley Mascher (206) 528-2713
Children's Hospital & Med. Center mas...@u.washington.edu

G.M.Murray

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

> I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
> has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
> cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
> questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
> it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

No, only if you don't like the finished look of Kilz. And by the way,
don't use the water based - that will take many, many coats to cover
stains.

Moshe
Minnesota

Sean O'Grady

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97
to psh...@westpub.com

Pete Sharbo wrote:

> I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
> has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
> cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
> questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
> it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

KILZ usually doesn't cover heavy enough on one coat a little bit thinner
than regular ol' paint. but it does a great job covering dark stains and
the like. I think the stuff is great.

Hope this helps

Sean

Legal warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be
charged a $100 an hour proof-reading fee, 3 hours minimum. Do NOT send
junk email to me - consider this an official notice:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227 (a)(2)(B), a computer modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227 (b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By
Sec.227 (B)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned is punishable by
action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500 whichever is greater,
for
each violation.

DRI...@slic.com

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

Pete Sharbo <psh...@westpub.com> wrote:
I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
>has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
>cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
>questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
>it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?
Hi,,
Because Kilz hasn't got enough pigment in it to cover properly.
Actually, the pigment that's in it is only to be able to see where
you've appliled it. It's that additives that make it a stain killer.

Change to lower case letters for "DRILLER" in my e-mail address

tatro...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2017, 4:01:24 PM7/18/17
I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?

dpb

Jul 18, 2017, 4:07:13 PM7/18/17
No.

It's called "primer" for a reason. Read the label.

"KILZ 2® LATEX is a fast drying, ​water-base, multi-purpose
primer-sealer-stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-base
paint."

Stormin' Norman

Jul 18, 2017, 4:11:53 PM7/18/17
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT), tatro...@gmail.com wrote:

>I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?

It probably will not provide the kind of UV protection or durability
of a good, acrylic latex, heavily pigmented paint.

Why would you want to use it as the top coat?

rbowman

Jul 18, 2017, 5:45:43 PM7/18/17
Can be != must be

dpb

Jul 18, 2017, 6:13:55 PM7/18/17
Misinterpretation of what "can" is referring to here...it's the latex
_or_ oil it's intended as qualifying, not whether there's an option to
use it as finish coat or not.

Bill

Jul 18, 2017, 6:38:52 PM7/18/17
I've got the interior of my garage "painted" with it. It is working out
fine. I would not expect to do the same thing for exterior work (for
the reasons above).

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 18, 2017, 7:24:14 PM7/18/17
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT), tatro...@gmail.com wrote:

>I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?
No, it is a PRIMER, not a topcoat.

susanb...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2017, 4:59:33 PM10/29/17
On Tuesday, March 18, 1997 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Pete Sharbo wrote:
> I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
> has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
> cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
> questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
> it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat

I had almost a 3/4 gallon of Kilz2 Latex Int/Ext paint and added some ceiling white eggshell latex paint to come up with a full gallon of paint to do a ceiling. I must admit it looks nice.

Frank

Oct 29, 2017, 6:55:17 PM10/29/17
I just painted some re-cemented cracks in a cinder block retaining wall
with a similar product. It looks the same shade white as on the blocks
and I don't think I will need to paint over it.

jmax...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2018, 6:45:39 PM6/24/18
what a smart alec! the dude was just asking a question, and you got to try to make him look stupid?

cr...@fpunet.com

Nov 29, 2018, 10:53:17 AM11/29/18
On Tuesday, March 18, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Pete Sharbo wrote:
> I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
> has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
> cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
> questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
> it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 29, 2018, 11:38:42 AM11/29/18
Kilz is a great stain blocker but is not meant to be a finished paint.
If you like the looks, fine, the Paint Police won't come to inspect
unless reported.

This is probably a better idea
https://www.kilz.com/paint/kilz-ceiling

Clare Snyder

Nov 29, 2018, 12:03:18 PM11/29/18
+1
Kilz primer, if applied heavily enough to give good opacity and
coverage, tends to have a gloss to it.

Generally oin a ceiling, particularly textured, you want the paint
finish to be FLAT.

Personally I like the ceiling surface FLAT too - but I'm not going to
scrape avery ceiling in my house to acheive that.

I like the stuff that goes on pink or blue and dries white - makes it
a lot easier to get full coverage on the ceiling in one coat.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 29, 2018, 12:20:50 PM11/29/18
On 11/29/2018 12:03 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Personally I like the ceiling surface FLAT too - but I'm not going to
> scrape avery ceiling in my house to acheive that.

Neither am I. My wife did it.

We had the horrid popcorn ceilings when we moved in.

Mayayana

Nov 29, 2018, 7:23:53 PM11/29/18
<cr...@fpunet.com> wrote

| > I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
| > has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
| > cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
| > questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
| > it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

Kilz will have an uneven sheen, though if you use
the water-base type it might be OK.

I would question whether you even need it. Are you
sure you actually have stains? If you have gray shadows
at rafter locations that's probably due to poor or no
insulation. That area gets colder, moisture condenses,
moisture picks up dust/soot. You see a gray shadow.
You may see darker spots where drywall screws are
located. That can just be painted over. It's not a stain.

Clare Snyder

Nov 29, 2018, 10:43:02 PM11/29/18
Correct on both points - untill you get enough on to get full opacity
as I noted before. The stuff is more or less transluscent as it is not
designed as a "finish" - but I have used it, un-covered - with pretty
decent results with about 4 or 5 good coats. It then has a gloss
somewhere between semigloss and satin - definitely too "shiny" for a
textured ceiling.- at least in my opinion. (but then I'm just a dumb
Canuk who needs the last word, according to at leat one yankee
backwoods hick)

rbowman

Nov 29, 2018, 11:26:59 PM11/29/18
You haven't lived until you've painted a tin ceiling but it beats
asbestos flavored popcorn. Hey, it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Clare Snyder

Nov 29, 2018, 11:59:57 PM11/29/18
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:28:07 -0700, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:
If yopu are going to paint a tin ceiling you REALLY want an airless
sprayer - - - - - -

Tekkie®

Dec 1, 2018, 4:03:18 PM12/1/18
Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

> (but then I'm just a dumb
> Canuk who needs the last word, according to at leat one yankee
> backwoods hick)

I resemble that remark.

--
Tekkie

spam@thnks.com ChairMan

Dec 1, 2018, 4:21:12 PM12/1/18
Don't feel too bad, he can't even spell Canuck....LOL : )

annawa...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2019, 8:56:46 AM4/22/19

Clare Snyder

Apr 22, 2019, 1:41:59 PM4/22/19
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 05:56:41 -0700 (PDT), annawa...@gmail.com
wrote:
You CAN paint the whole ceiling with Kilz and not top-coat it - but
it will take more than one coat to give you a uniform look - so you
may as well use the better covering and lower peiced "ceiling paint"
for the second coat. Get the stuff that goes on pink or blue and dries
white to get the best single coat coverage. Also, by the time you
build up coverage with Kilz you have a gloss finish - an egg-shell or
semi-flat works better on textured ceilings. DO cover the whole
ceiling with Kilz first though if the texture has never been painted
before - latex ceiling paint softens uncoated texture ceiling making a
mess when painting. Kills, being one of the few non-water-born paint
products stikll readily avaialable seals the texture against the water
in the top coat.

At least this is what MY experience has been.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Apr 22, 2019, 3:25:45 PM4/22/19
It has recently occurred to me that every time someone posts
"Do I have to X" or "Should I Y", the real answer is "If you're
asking the question, you already know the answer is Yes."

Cindy Hamilton

Rod Speed

Apr 22, 2019, 4:04:40 PM4/22/19

<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Don’t agree with that. Plenty of times someone who
has tried what is being asked about has said it doesn’t
work and that they should do something else instead.

I've just done that myself with someone who managed
to set a screen resolution that the monitor rejects with
Win10 who was asking about how to recover from that.

Peeler

Apr 22, 2019, 5:32:07 PM4/22/19
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 06:04:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

>>> At least this is what MY experience has been.
>>
>> It has recently occurred to me that every time someone posts
>> "Do I have to X" or "Should I Y", the real answer is "If you're
>> asking the question, you already know the answer is Yes."
>
> Don’t agree with that.

LOL That's something new, you auto-contradicting senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID: <XnsA97071CF43...@85.214.115.223>

trader_4

Apr 22, 2019, 5:39:56 PM4/22/19
What does the label instructions say? Kilz is more of a primer, so it
may lack the properties you want for a top coat, eg tougher, washable,
finish texture that you want, etc. But the label should tell you if
you can go with just that or there should be FAQ at their website.

Dean Hoffman

Apr 24, 2019, 10:35:46 PM4/24/19
22 years might be a record.

prisci...@hotmail.com

May 14, 2019, 9:29:53 AM5/14/19
On Tuesday, March 18, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Pete Sharbo wrote:
> I'm planning to paint a 10 year old textured living room ceiling that
> has some dark stains showing under the rafters. I have been advised to
> cover the stains with a product such as Kilz before I paint but my
> questions is, why can't I paint the entire ceiling with Kilz and leave
> it at that? Do I need to cover the Kilz with a separate coat of paint?

From a Kilz rep "Thanks for your question. Our primers are not stand-alone products, so it's best to topcoat them for long-lasting results. This primer can be left uncoated for up to 30 days before it's sealing and adhesion properties start to deteriorate. Best wishes!" - Sara

rams...@metrocast.net

Jan 2, 2020, 5:31:40 AM1/2/20
Kilz latex IS my ceiling paint.

I've used it on ceilings in 2 houses I flipped. Spray then roll 3/8”nap.
Spray again and roll again. I spray the whole room with it first coat.
If you need to fix a crack or something you can go back and roll out that spot and it disappears.
Go ahead troll me.
I like the results.

Gary

Jan 2, 2020, 7:10:00 AM1/2/20
Why in the world are you using so much Kilz?
Spray then roll, then spray again and roll again? lol

Only reason to use Kilz is to seal up stains. The latex
version won't do it. Use oil based or I seem to remember that
they also sell an alcohol based.

Just two coats of that on the spots will seal them, then spray
or roll ONE coat of a flat latex paint on all. Flat latex is
best for ceilings except for some kitchens and bathrooms that
you want to be all glossy.

trader_4

Jan 2, 2020, 8:53:19 AM1/2/20
Your approach works for me. The latex based Kilz will cover many stains,
but the oil based is superior and a sure thing. Unless something has
changed, I don't think Kilz is intended as a top coat product. Primers
are formulated differently, optimized to stick, while top coats are
formulated to be washable, resist stains, resist fading, etc. I'm sure
you can get away with using a primer indoors, especially on say a ceiling,
but I don't think it's optimal.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 2, 2020, 9:49:15 AM1/2/20
Because he is buying crappy houses and wants to hide stuff rather than
fix it properly. I'd never buy a house from a flipper.

canic...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 29, 2020, 1:33:26 PM4/29/20
I am trying to use SW ceiling paint and the spot where I used kilz to cover a water spot shows through. The shiny kilz is what’s showing. How do I get that to not be shiny?

philo

Apr 29, 2020, 1:45:00 PM4/29/20
On 4/29/20 12:33 PM, canic...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I am trying to use SW ceiling paint and the spot where I used kilz to cover a water spot shows through. The shiny kilz is what’s showing. How do I get that to not be shiny?

Will take several coats to cover it

Clare Snyder

Apr 29, 2020, 3:48:24 PM4/29/20
Use a napped roller to add a bit of texture to the paint - the paint
around the kilz likely has some texture. It WILL take 2 or 3 coats to
totally hide it. Don't thin it or brush it out too much if brushing.

Frank

Apr 29, 2020, 7:45:22 PM4/29/20
On 4/29/2020 1:33 PM, canic...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I am trying to use SW ceiling paint and the spot where I used kilz to cover a water spot shows through. The shiny kilz is what’s showing. How do I get that to not be shiny?

That's surprising. Guess ceiling paint is thin, i.e. short on pigment.
Years ago I had a paint like that which needed several coats. I did a
ceiling stain recently and did not have this problem but may have used a
newer kilz grade.

trader_4

Apr 30, 2020, 12:17:06 PM4/30/20
I haven't seen it with ceiling paint, but I've seen it with high quality,
BM wall paint. I've put up some test samples of various colors and later
when covered with two or even three coats of the final color, at the right
angle you can see the underlying test areas. It's like a difference in
texture effect. And no, the colors were not something extreme either,
more like faint grays, light tans, etc.

Frank

Apr 30, 2020, 12:30:50 PM4/30/20
It was years ago and not a high quality paint.

Funny story but as a kid I did a couple of days interior house painting
and contractor would not use a color that required more than one coat.
He had one that did and removed it for another color.

I think now that there are 3 grades of Kilz. Original was ethanol
solvent and quite drippy. The stuff I used recently was not.