Re: How Do You Put a Wire Wheel on a Bench Grinder?

Message has been deleted

RBM

Apr 11, 2007, 10:10:47 PM4/11/07
Washers

"Ken Hall" <kenhall...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
news:ed2r139v6r7sdc3rg...@4ax.com...
> The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
> a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
> shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
> How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
> unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
> -- Ken

hal...@aol.com

Apr 11, 2007, 10:12:34 PM4/11/07
On Apr 11, 9:30�pm, Ken Hall <kenhall2REM...@houston.rr.com> wrote:
> The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
> a wire wheel.  The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
> shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
> How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
> unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
> -- Ken

washers, normally theres a adapter plate available

mm

Apr 11, 2007, 10:42:36 PM4/11/07
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:30:13 -0500, Ken Hall
<kenhall...@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
>a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
>shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
>How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
>unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
>-- Ken

Wire wheels are great. I use mine much more than my grindstone
(mostly to clean up old or rusty tools and other things).

Srgnt Billko

Apr 11, 2007, 10:53:20 PM4/11/07
Washers - sounds unaminous to me <chuckle>

"Ken Hall" <kenhall...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Steve Barker

Apr 11, 2007, 11:31:06 PM4/11/07
There should be a couple of large beveled washers and a nut with a bench
grinder. How is the grind stone held on?

--
Steve Barker

Big Al

Apr 12, 2007, 2:53:59 AM4/12/07

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

And to toss them at the speed of light into the abyss:)

Al

Newsreader

Apr 12, 2007, 5:35:37 AM4/12/07
Ken Hall wrote:
> The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
> a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
> shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
> How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
> unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
> -- Ken
Best be sure your bench grinder has low enough RPM's to match the safety
rating of said wire wheel, particularly critical if you don't have the
proper flanges.

Do you like your eyes? Wear safety goggles & a face shield before you
switch it on.

Just saying.

Message has been deleted

Goedjn

Apr 12, 2007, 11:04:25 AM4/12/07
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:30:13 -0500, Ken Hall
<kenhall...@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
>a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
>shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
>How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
>unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
>-- Ken

Big-ass washers, or a wooden disk cut with a hole-saw.

Steve Barker

Apr 12, 2007, 12:47:26 PM4/12/07
There are wire wheels with thicker centers also. Or use the proper 5/8"
washers.

--
Steve Barker

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:31:06 -0500, "Steve Barker"
> <ichase...@some.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>There should be a couple of large beveled washers and a nut with a bench
>>grinder. How is the grind stone held on?
>

> The grinding wheel is thick enough to span the smooth (unthreaded)
> part of the shaft. The wire wheel is not.
>
> -- Ken

Jeff Wisnia

Apr 12, 2007, 1:47:20 PM4/12/07
Ken Hall wrote:

> The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
> a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
> shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
> How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
> unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
> -- Ken

If ya wanna get fancy like me, use a 5/8" bore by 1/2" thick round bore
solid shaft collar as a spacer:

http://www.staffordmfg.com/index.htm

Course, I happened to have one handy at the time. <G>

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Stormin Mormon

Apr 12, 2007, 3:55:55 PM4/12/07
And never walk barefoot near the grinder with wire wheel. They
throw lots of little wires, which are miserable to try to get out
of your feet. I know from experience.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Newsreader" <fak...@fakeid.com> wrote in message
: Best be sure your bench grinder has low enough RPM's to match

Larry W

Apr 12, 2007, 2:52:37 PM4/12/07
In article <ed2r139v6r7sdc3rg...@4ax.com>,

Ken Hall <kenhall...@houston.rr.com> wrote:
>The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
>a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
>shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
>
>How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
>unthreaded zone of the shaft?
>
>-- Ken

Buy a wire wheel that is designated for use on a grinder and it will have
the correct hub size for that use, possibly needing some bushings that
are included with a new wheel.

nightscape

Jul 9, 2016, 3:44:04 PM7/9/16
replying to Steve Barker, nightscape wrote:
I have never seen a wire wheel with a thick center. I don't understand why.
Everyone is having the same problem, including me. When you start piling
washers on front and back...good luck keeping the wheel running straight and
balanced.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/how-do-you-put-a-wire-wheel-on-a-bench-grinder-209140-.htm

DerbyDad03

Jul 9, 2016, 6:40:37 PM7/9/16
Unfortunately, all of the responders were either killed or seriously injured
9 years ago when the wire wheels flew off of their bench grinders after
being improperly mounted.

While your response is appreciated, it is 9 years too late.

Uncle Monster

Jul 9, 2016, 7:31:46 PM7/9/16
It was so tragic and unusual that The Fringe Division of The FBI was called in to investigate. Fringe called in The CDC because it was suspected that the tragic events were caused by an outbreak of the virus that causes The Dumbassification Of America. I see the result of the pandemic everyday right here on Usenet plus in the news and entertainment media. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Virus Monster

AtomicNinja

May 10, 2020, 12:14:05 AM5/10/20
replying to Big Al, AtomicNinja wrote: