Is fiberglass insulation available in 19.2" widths?

JP

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

My TGI floor joists are spaced 19.2" (5 per 8ft)

I want to insulate the ceiling for sound isolation.
I haven't been able to find insulation for this width other
than buying 24" width and trimming it down.
Not cost-effective, and more work.

Is it possible to purchase 19.2" wide rolls of fiberglass
insulation? Where?

RC Lichy & Associates

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

JP <"pentico...@mcleod.net"@mcleod.net> wrote in article
<5habk3$6j...@email1-1.mcleodusa.net>...

> My TGI floor joists are spaced 19.2" (5 per 8ft)

> Is it possible to purchase 19.2" wide rolls of fiberglass
> insulation? Where?

Have you thought about using blown-in-insulation?

--
RC Lichy & Associates
rc_l...@nauticom.net

Guy Bartnick

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 23:15:19 -0600, JP
<"pentico...@mcleod.net"@mcleod.net> wrote:

>My TGI floor joists are spaced 19.2" (5 per 8ft)
>

>I want to insulate the ceiling for sound isolation.
>I haven't been able to find insulation for this width other
>than buying 24" width and trimming it down.
>Not cost-effective, and more work.
>

>Is it possible to purchase 19.2" wide rolls of fiberglass
>insulation? Where?

I've checked Owens Cornings product catalog and find nothing they
manufacture to meet your needs ( all for 16" or 24" cavity )
I would recommend you make them aware of your special need directly.
We have a link through our website, or go direct at
http://www.owenscorning.com Hope this helps.
I would expect cutting down 24" width insulation will be your only
timely option. Hope this helps.
Guy Bartnick representing Wickes Lumber Company
gbar...@wickes.com
http://www.wickes.com

Clark LaFlare

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

Would the amount of compression required to install 22 1/4 width insulation
really make that much difference? If the cavity depth is not completely
filled, chances are the insulation could be placed in a uniform shape
thereby distributing the compression over the entire width. Since your only
requirement is sound reduction, maybe there are better alternative
solutions, resilient channels for example.

David K. Bryant

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

JP <"pentico...@mcleod.net"@mcleod.net> writes:

>My TGI floor joists are spaced 19.2" (5 per 8ft)

>I want to insulate the ceiling for sound isolation.
>I haven't been able to find insulation for this width other
>than buying 24" width and trimming it down.
>Not cost-effective, and more work.
>Is it possible to purchase 19.2" wide rolls of fiberglass
>insulation? Where?

Mmmmmmm. That's a tough one. I've seen 19.17" but never 19.2"

:-)

Len

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

This is not my area of expertise, but I have had better results in reducing
sound transmission by doubling up drywall layers than I have by insulating.

Clark LaFlare <claf...@miter.org> wrote in article
<01bc3b92$fdadefb0$095f5381@Clark>...