Use 1" furnace filter instead of 5" ?

chu...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2006, 1:28:31 PM10/13/06
I have a furnace built for a 25"x20"x5" filter. I've discovered these
are *really* expensive compared to the 1" filters.
Is there any strong reason not to use a 1" filter with some sort of
space adapater in this application?

Internet searches on this have not resulted in any material articles.
Any comments/suggestions appreciated!

Zephyr

Oct 13, 2006, 1:56:39 PM10/13/06
Why not use the proper filter? An Aprilaire filter [5"] is an excellent
filter, and should be changed annually at a minimum. [Honeywell also makes
a similar filter.] A 1" filter is not as efficient in removing material
from the air and at best should be changed monthly. To save a few bucks by
using something that requires more changes, is less efficient, and ends up
being "Mickey Moused" in seems less appealing to me.
--
Zyp

<chu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

scott...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2006, 3:16:12 PM10/13/06
How hard would it be to make some sort of adapter out of metal or wood
to take up the difference? I don't see why you can't use a normal 1"
filter instead of a 5" filter.

And if anything, I'd pass judgement on someone using the 5" filter as
being overy paranoid or succeptable to marketing gimmicks.

Joseph Meehan

Oct 13, 2006, 3:34:32 PM10/13/06

I would keep the better filtering capability. Of course I have
allergies.

You can use a cheap 1" filter. You likely should replace it more often
and it will not provide a good a filtering job, but any good 1" filter will
protect your furnace, which is the first reason for a filter. You will need
to make some sort of adapter to hold it and fit the spot.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Philip Lewis

Oct 13, 2006, 4:09:07 PM10/13/06
"Joseph Meehan" <sligojo...@hotmail.com> writes:
>chu...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I have a furnace built for a 25"x20"x5" filter. I've discovered these
>> are *really* expensive compared to the 1" filters.
>> Is there any strong reason not to use a 1" filter with some sort of
>> space adapater in this application?
> You can use a cheap 1" filter. You likely should replace it more often
could he use 4 or 5 1" filters? :)
less adapter needed then. (I say 4, since the packaging might not be exactly 1")
the ones further from the front will have less particulate.

This may induce less flowrate if the 5" has the same amount of air
resistance as 1 1" filter, though.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Eric in North TX

Oct 13, 2006, 4:21:27 PM10/13/06

Buy the correct filters on ebay and save a bunch, there are even clones
that work as well and cost less. I paid extra to get that filter
installed with my new hvac unit and really don't mind even at $36 once
a year, but can get them for 1/2 that on the bay of E though I may have
to buy more than one to get that price.

Steve Barker LT

Oct 13, 2006, 5:48:28 PM10/13/06
ACTUALLY, there is a reason they are thicker. It's called a high efficiency
filter. I paid extra for that thick housing on mine. There's a reason.
Use the proper filter and quit being a cheap skate.

--
Steve Barker

<scott...@gmail.com> wrote in message

CJT

Oct 13, 2006, 6:44:59 PM10/13/06
chu...@gmail.com wrote:

Perhaps you could use 5 of the 1" variety, and cycle them (replace the
front one and add a new one to the back whenever the pack needs
refreshing).

Joseph Meehan

Oct 13, 2006, 7:30:56 PM10/13/06
CJT wrote:
> chu...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have a furnace built for a 25"x20"x5" filter. I've discovered
>> these are *really* expensive compared to the 1" filters.
>> Is there any strong reason not to use a 1" filter with some sort of
>> space adapater in this application?
>>
>> Internet searches on this have not resulted in any material articles.
>> Any comments/suggestions appreciated!
>>
> Perhaps you could use 5 of the 1" variety, and cycle them (replace the
> front one and add a new one to the back whenever the pack needs
> refreshing).

Not good. The additional air resistance could damage your air handler.

CJT

Oct 13, 2006, 8:18:53 PM10/13/06
Joseph Meehan wrote:

That assumes there IS "additional air resistance." I don't think that
has been demonstrated.

Joseph Meehan

Oct 14, 2006, 9:44:16 AM10/14/06
CJT wrote:
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>> CJT wrote:

>>> Perhaps you could use 5 of the 1" variety, and cycle them (replace
>>> the front one and add a new one to the back whenever the pack needs
>>> refreshing).
>>

>> Not good. The additional air resistance could damage your air
>> handler.
> That assumes there IS "additional air resistance." I don't think that
> has been demonstrated.

While it would depend on the specific filters, I is a very good bet it
would increase the resistance unless you were using some very cheap poor
quality filters, and maybe even for those.

m Ransley

Oct 14, 2006, 9:56:46 AM10/14/06
Using 5, 1" filters wont work, you wont have enough air pass and will
overheat your furnace and get little air. A 5" media lasts, allows much
less 1st time pollutant pass through. Use what its designed for a 5"
unit.

Rick Brandt

Oct 14, 2006, 10:14:21 AM10/14/06

I built a wooden frame that fit in my 5 inch media slot and which accepted
standard one inch media.

The problem with 5 inch is that it "looks" dirty just as fast as one inch and
nobody will tell you "for certain" how long you should use the filter before
replacing and the HVAC crowd is always warning us about not letting the filter
get too clogged. Well if you don't have a pressure meter how do you tell this?

With a three to five dollar one inch filter I can take the attitude "if in doubt
replace it". That gets pretty expensive with five inch media. The stuff that
came in my furnace was over forty dollars a pop.

m Ransley

Oct 14, 2006, 12:57:30 PM10/14/06
My April Air media lasts over 1 year, your 1-5$ thing will be inferior
in operation. I cant believe anybody would even consider doing what you
plan. Your furnace -AC coil is what you are trying to protect to not
loose efficiency from crapping it up. You have a superior system , use
it.

Robert Gammon

Oct 14, 2006, 3:22:34 PM10/14/06
The thing about the 5" filters is that they start at roughly the same
back pressure as a good 3M filter, but load up VERY slowly because of
the VAST increase in surface area.

The 3M will be excessively loading the fan in under 90 days, in many
cases, under 30 days, costs $15-$20 and has to be replaced 4 or more
times a year.

The 5"filter won't get to the same back pressure as the 3M for 9 months
to 12 months or longer.

Spend $45 once a year and trap more dirt and let your furnace run more
efficiently, or spend $80 a year...

sylvan butler

Oct 16, 2006, 8:06:06 PM10/16/06
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:14:21 GMT, Rick Brandt <rickb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with 5 inch is that it "looks" dirty just as fast as one inch and
> nobody will tell you "for certain" how long you should use the filter before
> replacing and the HVAC crowd is always warning us about not letting the filter
> get too clogged. Well if you don't have a pressure meter how do you tell this?

Build a meter?

Buy:
two or three feet of clear vinyl tubing (small diameter)
two fittings for tubing to threaded
(bulkhead fittings would be best, but more costly)

mount both fittings into sheet metal duct work, one on each side of
filter -- upstream and downstream air flow. (Idea is that air handler
can suck air thru them.) Make sure fittings are close enough together
that tubing will hang down in a loose loop between them.

Fill tubing about 1/4 to 1/2 way with water. (Could add some food
coloring to make the level easier to see.)

Connect both ends of tubing to fittings. (Easiest with air handler
OFF.)

Note water level (might want to mark it) with air handler off. It
should be equal on both legs.

Note water level with air handler on. With even a clean filter the legs
will likely now be offset a little bit (downstream leg higher).

Water will move closer and closer to the downstream side of the filter
as filter restriction increases. Too much restriction and you will have
to refill the tube. :) (If you can find a little floating ball that
will just barely freely fit inside the tubing, put it in the downstream
side and it will prevent most of the water sucking out. Another ball on
the upstream side makes it easy to see water levels.)

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Eigenvector

Oct 16, 2006, 8:39:48 PM10/16/06

"sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+...@Zbigfoot.Zcom.invalid> wrote in message
That's a pretty good idea really. Although if you didn't want to mess with
water and such I think you could do the same with a couple of cheap
barometers one on each side.

sylvan butler

Oct 17, 2006, 4:57:33 PM10/17/06
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:39:48 -0700, Eigenvector <m44_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+...@Zbigfoot.Zcom.invalid> wrote in message
>> Water will move closer and closer to the downstream side of the filter
>> as filter restriction increases. Too much restriction and you will have
>> to refill the tube. :)

> That's a pretty good idea really. Although if you didn't want to mess with

> water and such I think you could do the same with a couple of cheap
> barometers one on each side.

The advantage to the water-in-tube approach, is it is self-calibrating
and balancing for filter restriction. A pair of cheap barometers might
work, but there may be issues...

1) how do you attach them to measure the ductwork? Look for ones that
have a fitting for tubing on their pressure bubble, and you'll still
need the tubing fittings in your ductwork.

2) Look at all the cheap barometers in the store. Pick two that read
the same. Suprising how many don't. :( Or just use one.

3) What range and precision will they read? We only need relative
accuracy, but we need moderately high precision at one end of a large
offset from ambient pressure in order see the effect of filter
restriction.

Zephyr

Oct 19, 2006, 2:30:34 PM10/19/06
Or -

Honeywell sells a "filter" change meter. [It is a simple "flag" meter that
attaches to the return air plenum.] By measuring the static it can be
adjusted to "flag" when the draw becomes excessive. Cute little gadget.

--
Zyp

"sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+...@Zbigfoot.Zcom.invalid> wrote in message

sylvan butler

Oct 20, 2006, 5:20:58 PM10/20/06
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:30:34 -0700, Zephyr <nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Honeywell sells a "filter" change meter. [It is a simple "flag" meter that
> attaches to the return air plenum.] By measuring the static it can be
> adjusted to "flag" when the draw becomes excessive. Cute little gadget.

Sounds interesting. Couldn't find it. Have a link?

Robert Gammon

Oct 21, 2006, 9:26:01 AM10/21/06
sylvan butler wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:30:34 -0700, Zephyr <nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Honeywell sells a "filter" change meter. [It is a simple "flag" meter that
>> attaches to the return air plenum.] By measuring the static it can be
>> adjusted to "flag" when the draw becomes excessive. Cute little gadget.
>>

> Sounds interesting. Couldn't find it. Have a link?
>
> sdb

www.filters-now.com sells one from GeneralAire.$14.99.

Find it near the bottom of the Honeywell Whole House Filters page.

sylvan butler

Oct 22, 2006, 3:53:18 PM10/22/06
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:26:01 GMT, Robert Gammon <rgam...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> sylvan butler wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:30:34 -0700, Zephyr <nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Honeywell sells a "filter" change meter. [It is a simple "flag" meter that
>>> attaches to the return air plenum.]
>>
>> Sounds interesting. Couldn't find it. Have a link?

> www.filters-now.com sells one from GeneralAire.$14.99.

> Find it near the bottom of the Honeywell Whole House Filters page.

http://www.filters-now.com/products/dhw.html

That's darn slick.

Rick Brandt

Oct 23, 2006, 7:34:29 AM10/23/06
sylvan butler wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:26:01 GMT, Robert Gammon <rgam...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > sylvan butler wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds interesting. Couldn't find it. Have a link?
>
> > www.filters-now.com sells one from GeneralAire.$14.99.
> >
> > Find it near the bottom of the Honeywell Whole House Filters page.
>
> http://www.filters-now.com/products/dhw.html
>
> That's darn slick.
>
> sdb

Unfortunately I have no ducting between the filter and the furnace cold air
return. The filter box is mounted immediately to the furnace's side. Would the
probe for that thing work if it were just placed inside the squirrel-cage area
of the blower?

Robert Gammon

Oct 23, 2006, 10:32:25 AM10/23/06
Rick Brandt wrote:
> sylvan butler wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:26:01 GMT, Robert Gammon <rgam...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> www.filters-now.com sells one from GeneralAire.$14.99.
>>>
>>> Find it near the bottom of the Honeywell Whole House Filters page.
>>>
>> http://www.filters-now.com/products/dhw.html
>>
>> That's darn slick.
>>
>> sdb
>>

> Unfortunately I have no ducting between the filter and the furnace cold air
> return. The filter box is mounted immediately to the furnace's side. Would the
> probe for that thing work if it were just placed inside the squirrel-cage area
> of the blower?

Yes, when HVAC contractors installed my new unit,they tapped into the
case to measure pressure drop, then sealed the hole. I see no reason
why you can't do the same thing.

Make sure that the fan can't draw air around your probe. Seal the
opening well.

Allie

Nov 1, 2016, 4:44:04 PM11/1/16
replying to m Ransley, Allie wrote:
My filter is black after one month. Will never last a year. Theyre $30 each!
Didn't know it would be so expensive. Bet you would "rig" it too If you had to
pay that every month for a 5" filter.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/use-1-furnace-filter-instead-of-5-155883-.htm

Allie

Nov 1, 2016, 4:44:04 PM11/1/16
replying to Rick Brandt, Allie wrote:
Thank you. I too have the 5" slot for the filter on my new ac unit. Had I
known how expensive those dang 5" filters were, I never would've gotten it. I
want to use 1 or 2" filters too, with a rigged system to keep it in place. Can
you post pics of how you made yours?

trader_4

Nov 1, 2016, 4:57:24 PM11/1/16
That thread is ten years old and Mr. Ransley hasn't been heard from in
a very long time. But maybe you can't see how old posts are because
your house is full of smoke and dirty air. It seems it would have to
be to turn a new 5" filter dirty in just a month. I easily go 2 years
on mine.

Ralph Mowery

Nov 1, 2016, 5:41:42 PM11/1/16
In article <a0ff6c82-2076-4974...@googlegroups.com>,
tra...@optonline.net says...
What kind of house is this in ? Must have a dirt floor to get the
filter that dirty that quick. I use the inexpensive 1 inch ones and
change them every 2 months. The first day of the odd numbered ones so I
can remember when to do it. They look as if they could go twice that
long, but at a buck or two each it is not htat expensive.

Had to have a man to work on the system a while back and while he was
here I let him talk me into cleaning the inside and outside coils. He
asked me if I had just changed the filter and cleaned the inside coils
as they were very clean. The filter was about a month old and the
inside unit was installed about 6 years before and never cleaned.

One thing that may help is that we never open the windows. As the wife
and I are both sensitive to pollen, we tend not to want much outside air
in the house.

Paint...@unlisted.moo

Nov 2, 2016, 5:12:29 AM11/2/16
On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 17:41:47 -0400, Ralph Mowery
<rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>One thing that may help is that we never open the windows. As the wife
>and I are both sensitive to pollen, we tend not to want much outside air
>in the house.

Guess where the air in your house comes from? (Unless you have a company
deliver "inside air" once a week.....).

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 7:44:04 AM11/2/16
replying to Steve Barker LT, Allie wrote:
Not a matter of being a cheap skate. I also have the 5" slot in my new ac
unit. I have to change the filter every month. That's 30-40$ a month. Really
pricey. Installer told me to change every 3-6 months. Can't afford that every
single month. So I'm trying the 2" ones with a frame under it. What would you
do?

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 7:44:04 AM11/2/16
replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
My house inside is not dirty. Non smoker. Even installer can't figure why it
gets so dirty so fast. Can't afford those filters every month. Regret getting
this new unit with the big filter box. Going to try the 2" filter. Theyre bad
enough. $70 for 4.

Allie

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 7:44:05 AM11/2/16
replying to trader_4, Allie wrote:
My house is not smoke filled. I for some reason it's dusty. Could be the
florida humidity. I have 3 dogs. 2 years? Wow. You're lucky.

FromTheRafters

Nov 2, 2016, 8:26:46 AM11/2/16
Allie pretended :
> replying to Steve Barker LT, Allie wrote:
> Not a matter of being a cheap skate. I also have the 5" slot in my new ac
> unit. I have to change the filter every month. That's 30-40$ a month. Really
> pricey. Installer told me to change every 3-6 months. Can't afford that every
> single month. So I'm trying the 2" ones with a frame under it. What would you
> do?

Taking someone else's advice, he decided to wait eleven years to see if
it corrected itself. He's still got one year left.

mako...@yahoo.com

Nov 2, 2016, 8:58:53 AM11/2/16
along the lines of a gauge to keep an eye on things,

I think it is a good idea to buy two probe thermometers and have them more or less
permanently stuck into the ducts, one before the heater and one after. Put a mark at the normal inlet and outlet temperature readings and check them regularly. If the before and after readings are normal, that is a pretty good indication that your system is operating normally. Works for AC as well. You can get one for the flue as well but of course it will need a higher range.

mark

Ralph Mowery

Nov 2, 2016, 10:22:34 AM11/2/16
In article <qbbj1ctdur7fr2u2i...@4ax.com>,
Paint...@unlisted.moo says...
We loose some air when we open the doors to go out,so I keep a tank of
air that I fill up at the service station to replace the lost air. We
put that air through a filter to eliminate the pollen.

burfordTjustice

Nov 2, 2016, 10:28:04 AM11/2/16
On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 13:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net> wrote:

> But maybe you can't see how old posts are because
> your house is full of smoke and dirty air.

Arrogant little prick aren't you?

https://disqus.com/by/disqus_9reYnilCVH/

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 11:14:05 AM11/2/16
replying to FromTheRafters, Allie wrote:
Ok so I didn't notice his post was from 2006..let's move on. Can a 2" work
with an adapter? Need help, not scarcaism. And I'm a woman, not a man.

trader_4

Nov 2, 2016, 11:48:16 AM11/2/16
How can anyone answer a general question like that? There are many
manufacturers of filter housings and filters and many sizes. In theory
you would think you could fabricate some kind of holder to get a
thinner filter in there. Or maybe there is a size that goes right in.
Have a measuring tape? But what it takes is going to depend on
what exactly you have. Also, realize that you're going to live with
more dirt getting through and/or the filter getting clogged faster.
Those 5" media trap finer particles, but they also have much greater
surface area.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Nov 2, 2016, 1:10:41 PM11/2/16
Allie <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>Ok so I didn't notice his post was from 2006..let's move on. Can a 2" work
>with an adapter? Need help, not scarcaism. And I'm a woman, not a man.

The filter material is fan folded, so by using a thinner filter, you are
reducing the surface area available for air to flow through. The net effect is
that dust will restrict airflow much faster, and require changing far more
often.

mako...@yahoo.com

Nov 2, 2016, 1:25:53 PM11/2/16
its like changing your oil

it's more important that you check it and change it when needed compared to
worrying about what exact brand or type you use...

if you check your filter often and change when needed, almost anything will work fine

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 1:44:04 PM11/2/16
replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
No dirt floor..haha. Not. Non smoker, 3 dogs. Florida humidity..sand not dirt
outside.

Ralph Mowery

Nov 2, 2016, 1:56:03 PM11/2/16
In article <a0c71$581a25e1$a2d350aa$74...@news.flashnewsgroups.com>,
caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com says...

> replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
> No dirt floor..haha. Not. Non smoker, 3 dogs. Florida humidity..sand not dirt
> outside.

With 3 dogs it could be lots of dog hair. If this is the case it would
probably be beter if you switched to a less expensive filter and changed
it once a month.

I guess that if Florida you run the unit most of the year. I am in the
middle of NC and have a heat pump so it runs much of the year. No
animals in the house and the 1 inch filter changed every two months
seems to filter it out very well. Not too dirty and the coils were
cleaned after several years by an AC repair man. He said they did not
really need it, but was part of the service.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 2, 2016, 3:33:37 PM11/2/16
The pleated paper filter is far more effective in taking out small
particles.
I ended up with both. My air handler is in a closet with a louvered
door. I used "cut to fit" media on the door to stop the big stuff and
a "space guard" on the intake for the rest of it.
I can take the door media out in the yard and wash it with a hose and
it seems to stop most of the stuff. The paper filters last at least a
year. I have a gauge on the air handler that tells me when it is
degraded.

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 3:44:04 PM11/2/16
replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
Thanks Ralph. Talked a specialist/ac company she said same thing. She said
there's no reason to have such a big honking filter..more money for these
filter companies. That I could tape a 1" filter to the unit/handler where air
draws it,,change every month. Plus, my unit must be freezing up from the dirty
filter causing water leaking in house. Yes, drain outside is free.it has to be
that filter.

AL

Nov 2, 2016, 4:30:47 PM11/2/16
On 11/2/2016 12:44 PM, Allie wrote:

> my unit must be freezing up from the
> dirty filter causing water leaking in house.
> Yes, drain outside is free.it has
> to be that filter.

I live in a dusty climate and when using the standard cheap filters the
dust would go through them and collect on the cold wet coils (inside the
unit). Eventually the dust would wash down and clog the pan's drain exit
hole (still inside the unit) while the drain pipe itself appeared clear.
This resulted in the pan overflowing and leaking into the garage and
house. I solved the problem by using an allergenic filter. I get them at
Target for $12.95. (My filter is 20x30x1 and I generally get 3 months
which is what's recommended on the filter.)

trader_4

Nov 2, 2016, 4:41:38 PM11/2/16
That's what some people apparently don't realize. There are filter specs
on what particle size they will filter out. The 5" filters will remove
smaller particles from the air. The downside is that if you have dirty air,
they will need replacing sooner. Sure, you can replace them with a cheap
2" or even 1" filter, but then you won't get the same filtration.
It's up to everyone what they want, less frequent filter changes or
clean air. They just need to check the specs. I bet the cheap filters
don't even have specs. Those 1" fiberglass ones never trapped much of
anything, as far as I can tell.

Ralph Mowery

Nov 2, 2016, 6:01:16 PM11/2/16
In article <26ca0$581a4201$a2d350aa$20...@news.flashnewsgroups.com>,
caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com says...

> replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
> Thanks Ralph. Talked a specialist/ac company she said same thing. She said
> there's no reason to have such a big honking filter..more money for these
> filter companies. That I could tape a 1" filter to the unit/handler where air
> draws it,,change every month. Plus, my unit must be freezing up from the dirty
> filter causing water leaking in house. Yes, drain outside is free.it has to be
> that filter.

There are usually tow common reasons for the unit to freeze. Low air
flow and low refrigerant (Freon to most people). While it seems
backwards, when your unit runs low on refrigerant the coils actually get
colder and if cold enough the water that condenses on the coils will
freeze up and restrict the air flow even more.

Look for ice on the coils and see if there is any. If not and just
water, you have some kind of drain problem. The aircondition unit acts
like a big dehumidifier if working and sized correctly and lowers the
humidity in the house so you feel more comfortable.

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 7:14:04 PM11/2/16
replying to makolber, Allie wrote:
Thank you, I agree. I'm changing a $40 filter every 4 weeks. I can just as
easy change a 1" one in a month. I found a " air sponge " filter I like. With
an aluminum frame. Filter factory.com. going to try it. Can return if doesn't
work.

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 7:14:04 PM11/2/16
replying to trader_4, Allie wrote:
An ac company that has many years experience. Check out their site. Filter
factory.com

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 7:14:04 PM11/2/16
replying to Arthur Conan Doyle, Allie wrote:
Found a merv 8, air sponge filter going to try. Has to be better than these
5" expensive things. Its not normal that it should freeze up unit cause filter
is dirty. Only after a month.

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 9:14:05 PM11/2/16
replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
I think in my case it's the low air flow, again, that dirty filter. I don't
mind changing it every month of Theyre not $40 each.

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 9:14:05 PM11/2/16
replying to gfretwell, Allie wrote:
I had two filters also, at the outside grate and the 5" filter. Ac man said
not to have the grate one. Will effect the air flow. I also looked into the
"media" filters. I may get those. I also like the air sponge ones that fit in
a metal frame.

Allie

Nov 2, 2016, 9:14:05 PM11/2/16
replying to trader_4, Allie wrote:
Trouble is, this is a brand new unit. I never had to replace filters that were
this dirty after one month. The old unit never froze up or leaked due to bad
filter. I'll try med prices $10 to $15 filters..not the $1 ones..

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 2, 2016, 9:56:24 PM11/2/16
On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 01:14:01 +0000, Allie
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>I had two filters also, at the outside grate and the 5" filter. Ac man said
>not to have the grate one. Will effect the air flow.

The media I have on the louver door is over 12 square feet. That is
not doing much to the air flow. It does catch a lot of stuff that is
not making it to the pleated filter, it also keeps the closet a whole
lot cleaner.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 2, 2016, 10:09:29 PM11/2/16
On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 01:14:01 +0000, Allie
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to Ralph Mowery, Allie wrote:
>I think in my case it's the low air flow, again, that dirty filter. I don't
>mind changing it every month of Theyre not $40 each.

I buy my space guard filters on line (generic) and they are about $16

trader_4

Nov 3, 2016, 11:02:04 AM11/3/16
On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-4, Allie wrote:
> replying to trader_4, Allie wrote:
> Trouble is, this is a brand new unit. I never had to replace filters that were
> this dirty after one month.

Put a crap filter, like those cheap 1" fiberglass ones, in a dirty
air stream, with particles from large down to smoke size. Take a
Merv 14 and put it into the same dirty air stream. The MERV will
dirty up quickly, the fiberglass crap one could last orders of
magnitude longer, because it's not catching much. And a decent
MERV 14 filter will have the deep pleats so that it can take more
dirt, while still maintaining a low pressure delta.

Ken Olson

Nov 7, 2016, 2:13:43 AM11/7/16
On 11/1/2016 4:44 PM, Allie wrote:
> replying to Rick Brandt, Allie wrote:
> Thank you. I too have the 5" slot for the filter on my new ac unit. Had I
> known how expensive those dang 5" filters were, I never would've gotten
> it. I
> want to use 1 or 2" filters too, with a rigged system to keep it in
> place. Can
> you post pics of how you made yours?

I want to switch to a 4 or 5" system so that I can maintain a higher
flow volume getting through the system.

--
"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use
two feet."

Ivan Z

Oct 12, 2017, 11:14:07 PM10/12/17
replying to Allie, Ivan Z wrote:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.filter-adapter-adp-6-c.1000668615.html
can't find US version of this, but apparently "they do exist" - Filtrete
filter adapter for 4“ and 2" openings down to 1" filter.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/use-1-furnace-filter-instead-of-5-155883-.htm

johnny

Jul 12, 2020, 1:44:05 PM7/12/20
replying to scott21230, johnny wrote:
I think that is a perfectly good idea. On the other and you may not even need
it. When the system kicks on, the air pressure will just suck it into place. I
wouldn't worry about it.

johnny

Jul 12, 2020, 1:44:05 PM7/12/20
replying to chuckk, johnny wrote:
I have the same thing - a 20x25x5 slot, but those filters are very expensive.
I found a better deal on filters 20x25x4 (1 inch smaller). I plan on just
using these. When the furnace/airconditioner starts up, I expect it will just
suck it into place (since there is 1 inch of "play"). Alternatively I might
build a small 1 inch shim to stick in there. The different websites make it
sound like rocket science, but I bet this will work just fine

johnny

Jul 12, 2020, 1:44:05 PM7/12/20
replying to Allie, johnny wrote:
I think the idea of using a frame to take up the extra space will work fine. I
plan on doing exactly that.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/use-1-furnace-filter-instead-of-5-155883-.htm

johnny

Jul 12, 2020, 1:44:06 PM7/12/20
replying to Allie, johnny wrote:
Great idea. I think that will work fine. I am going to do the same thing.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 12, 2020, 3:28:16 PM7/12/20
On 7/12/2020 1:44 PM, johnny wrote:
> replying to chuckk, johnny wrote:
> I have the same thing - a 20x25x5 slot, but those filters are very
> expensive.
> I found a better deal on filters 20x25x4 (1 inch smaller). I plan on just
> using these. When the furnace/airconditioner starts up, I expect it will
> just
> suck it into place (since there is 1 inch of "play"). Alternatively I might
> build a small 1 inch shim to stick in there. The different websites make it
> sound like rocket science, but I bet this will work just fine

Better deal but less filtering surface. Less surface means more
frequent changes. False economy.

trader_4

Jul 12, 2020, 4:22:52 PM7/12/20
Might still work out if the 4" ones are significantly less expensive though.
IDK about relying on the thinner filter being sucked into place part.
IDK what kind of situation they have. I have what's either a 4 or 5
inch pleated filter, I change it once a year or once every two years
depending on how it looks and it doesn't get dirty fast.

TimR

Jul 13, 2020, 8:07:39 AM7/13/20
The purpose of the filter is to protect the equipment, not the people. You want to keep the coils clean.

The air that hits the filter comes from inside the house. You've already breathed it.

trader_4

Jul 13, 2020, 8:38:13 AM7/13/20
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 8:07:39 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
> The purpose of the filter is to protect the equipment, not the people. You want to keep the coils clean.
>
> The air that hits the filter comes from inside the house. You've already breathed it.

I thought it was actually both. And that to protect the eqpt, even a
minimal filter will do that. That's why they put a spot for a 1"
filter in the typical furnace. To filter out allergens, finer particles
requires the higher rated filters. I've liven for many years in homes
that just had the 1" filter, never had any eqpt problems.

TimR

Jul 14, 2020, 8:58:22 AM7/14/20
That's what I think, too, but it makes sense to me that filtering finer particles means more resistance to air flow which requires a bigger fan which uses more electricity etc. And if your resistance to air flow is too much you starve the coil of air and you get freezups.

I use the 1 inch filters and I change them when I hear the air noise increase.

I think my refrigerator coils catch the most dust anyway.

trader_4

Jul 14, 2020, 10:29:08 AM7/14/20
The finer filters have deep pleats to substantially increase the surface
area to at least partially offset that.

gfre...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2020, 11:31:32 AM7/14/20
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 05:58:19 -0700 (PDT), TimR <timot...@aol.com>
The pleated paper filter, like a Space Guard have a whole lot more
surface area so it makes up for how much restriction there is per
square foot. I still have a pre filter in front of mine to stop the
big stuff. That one is washable. There is a gauge on the plenum to see
when the restriction becomes excessive. I usually swap out the element
at around 0.2-0.3" H2O. A new filter cruises at around 0.07".

Dan

Jan 23, 2022, 11:01:47 AM1/23/22
These thick filters suck. If you live in a cold climate expect your furnace humidifier to essentially stop working!!! All the humidity gets filtered out and your house becomes a Sahara desert!!!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/use-1-furnace-filter-instead-of-5-155883-.htm

angelica...@yahoo.com

Jan 23, 2022, 11:31:39 AM1/23/22
What humidifier? Forced-air furnace, Michigan. Never saw the need for
a humidifier.

Cindy Hamilton

Frank

Jan 23, 2022, 12:02:46 PM1/23/22
I have one but humidifier is past the filter and filter would not filter
out humidity.

I read humidity between 30 and 50 percent is best. Surprised you do not
need it in colder climate. If your lips are cracking and doors are
sticking due to shrinking wood in the house than you need one.

trader_4

Jan 23, 2022, 12:08:00 PM1/23/22
What's the indoor humidity in winter? Typically without a humidifier the
humidity drops to a low level and you would feel more comfortable and
use less energy at a lower temp if it was 40 - 45% humidity.

trader_4

Jan 23, 2022, 12:13:37 PM1/23/22
On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 12:02:46 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
> On 1/23/2022 11:31 AM, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:01:47 AM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
> >> These thick filters suck. If you live in a cold climate expect your furnace humidifier to essentially stop working!!! All the humidity gets filtered out and your house becomes a Sahara desert!!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/use-1-furnace-filter-instead-of-5-155883-.htm
> >
> > What humidifier? Forced-air furnace, Michigan. Never saw the need for
> > a humidifier.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> I have one but humidifier is past the filter and filter would not filter
> out humidity.

Same here. But there are bypass type humidifiers where they recycle some
of the hot air through the humidifier and back into the return duct, where it
will go through the filter. I never thought about that affecting the filter.
But seems like it should not, given that they only recycle a small portion
of the output air and that gets mixed with a lot of the rest of the air before
hitting the filter. But i suppose it's possible that the filter could get enough
moisture in it so that it might be a problem. How the house could be like
a desert makes no sense. The filter can only hold a certain amount of water,
all the rest that the humidifier puts out has to go into the house.

Marilyn Manson

Jan 23, 2022, 12:36:55 PM1/23/22
On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 12:13:37 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 12:02:46 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

> > > What humidifier? Forced-air furnace, Michigan. Never saw the need for
> > > a humidifier.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > I have one but humidifier is past the filter and filter would not filter
> > out humidity.
> >
> Same here. But there are bypass type humidifiers where they recycle some
> of the hot air through the humidifier and back into the return duct, where it
> will go through the filter. I never thought about that affecting the filter.
> But seems like it should not, given that they only recycle a small portion
> of the output air and that gets mixed with a lot of the rest of the air before
> hitting the filter. But i suppose it's possible that the filter could get enough
> moisture in it so that it might be a problem. How the house could be like
> a desert makes no sense. The filter can only hold a certain amount of water,
> all the rest that the humidifier puts out has to go into the house.

The more dust on the filter, the more moisture it will retain. The dust will get
"wet", thicken up and block air flow.

Not saying it would dip to the (probably exaggerated) desert level, but it could
be a combination of things causing Dan's issues.

Clare Snyder

Jan 23, 2022, 1:23:54 PM1/23/22
The 5" filter has a LOT more surface area and is much higher flowing.
All the air goes through 5 times (or more) as much surface area ONCE.
With 5 filters stacked all the air goes through the smaller surface
area 5 TIMES. The smaller surface area increases the pressure drop -
and you multiply it by 5. Just a somewhat educated guess the
restriction of 5 stacked 1 inch filters is (at very minimim) about 8
to 10 times the restriction of the 5 inch filter

angelica...@yahoo.com

Jan 23, 2022, 2:32:30 PM1/23/22
On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 12:02:46 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Nope. None of that. The doors sometimes stick in the summer when the
humidity is high.

Cindy Hamilton

angelica...@yahoo.com

Jan 23, 2022, 2:33:29 PM1/23/22
I have no idea. Maybe I'll find out. I have a fairly crappy humidity gauge
on the screen porch; I could see what happens when I bring it inside.

Cindy Hamilton

Bob F

Jan 23, 2022, 4:58:39 PM1/23/22
On 1/23/2022 8:01 AM, Dan wrote:
> These thick filters suck. If you live in a cold climate expect your
> furnace humidifier to essentially stop working!!! All the humidity gets
> filtered out and your house becomes a Sahara desert!!!

LOL! Filters do not "filter" out moisture, especially if the house is
dry. And 5" filters just let your furnace fan move more air.

At 100% humidity, the filter might get damp at worst, but would tend to
dry itself at anything below 100%.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2022, 5:38:46 AM1/24/22
That turned out to be easier than I thought. My husband has some sort of
device that measures R.H. for his gun safe, but it's been in the living
room for a while.

About 36.5% at night and 40% at the warmest part of the day.

I can live with that.

Cindy Hamilton

TimR

Jan 24, 2022, 8:47:52 AM1/24/22
On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 5:38:46 AM UTC-5, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton
> That turned out to be easier than I thought. My husband has some sort of
> device that measures R.H. for his gun safe, but it's been in the living
> room for a while.
>
> About 36.5% at night and 40% at the warmest part of the day.
>
> I can live with that.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Comfort is a combination of temperature and humidity. According to my psych chart, at 40% humidity the low end of the comfort scale is 69 F. My thermostat is set at 68 so technically we're below that, but it's easy enough to grab a sweatshirt.

And that neglects radiative cooling from your body to exterior walls, if they are cold.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2022, 9:24:45 AM1/24/22
Our thermostat is set at 71 F.

Our exterior walls are uninsulated masonry. If we had a humidifier,
we'd get water condensing on them. Water is the enemy. I can always
put on a sweater.

Cindy Hamilton

TimR

Jan 24, 2022, 5:44:38 PM1/24/22
At 71 F my chart shows you're still in the comfort range down to 27% humidity, of course people vary.

If your walls are uninsulated masonry you might be losing body heat through radiation to the walls and that can make you feel cold. Radiation loss is a factor of the difference of the two temperatures raised to the 4th power.

There is another consideration. I've just read that the reason we have more colds and flus in cold weather is due to humidity. In low humidity the aerosols you expel quickly evaporate partially, keeping them small enough to travel much farther and stay aloft much longer. In high humidity the larger particles fall or stick to surfaces.

trader_4

Jan 25, 2022, 7:47:33 AM1/25/22
Interesting about the aerosol dynamics. It makes sense.

TimR

Jan 25, 2022, 9:04:51 AM1/25/22

angelica...@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2022, 9:27:38 AM1/25/22
I'm not sure that's a consideration in my circumstances. My husband and I
share the same germs anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

Marilyn Manson

Jan 25, 2022, 12:26:54 PM1/25/22
+1

I work at home, SWMBO works out in the real world. She works in the
medical field and is exposed to a lot of stuff. I do what I can to stay
safe, but avoiding the love of my life isn't on that list.

We have easy access to a drive-through Covid testing site. Takes 30-60
minutes (depending on the line) from when we get in our car to when we
get back home. It's our weekly date night.