OT. Bangladesh & Covid

Dean Hoffman

Nov 24, 2021, 6:12:27 PM11/24/21
People in Bangladesh seem to fend off the Covid virus better than others.
<https://andmagazine.com/talk/2021/11/22/why-isnt-everyone-in-bangladesh-dead/>

Bob F

Nov 24, 2021, 6:56:02 PM11/24/21
On 11/24/2021 3:12 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> People in Bangladesh seem to fend off the Covid virus better than others.
> <https://andmagazine.com/talk/2021/11/22/why-isnt-everyone-in-bangladesh-dead/>

A result of closing things down at all levels until very recently.
Lockdowns WORK, see.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/bangladesh/

Rod Speed

Nov 24, 2021, 7:27:52 PM11/24/21
Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote

> People in Bangladesh seem to fend off the Covid virus better than others.
> <https://andmagazine.com/talk/2021/11/22/why-isnt-everyone-in-bangladesh-dead/>

The explanation is obvious, they are hopeless at counting covid deaths.

They don’t even do proper death certificates let alone report all deaths.

Dean Hoffman

Nov 24, 2021, 7:37:59 PM11/24/21
The article talks about the crowding. A person in the capitol has about 291 square feet of space. That's a square
of about seventeen feet. Would a lockdown do much good?
"Dhaka, the nation’s capital, has a population density of 36,941 residents per square kilometer. That is 95,677 people per square mile."

Frank

Nov 24, 2021, 7:42:31 PM11/24/21
I suspect the reason is the same as for the only 5,000 deaths reported
in China.

danny burstein

Nov 24, 2021, 7:54:17 PM11/24/21
In <snmm5i$sl0$1...@dont-email.me> Frank <"frank "@frank.net> writes:

[anip]

>I suspect the reason is the same as for the only 5,000 deaths reported
>in China.

Or the similar super low deathrates reported
by Mexico in the first few months.

Or North Korea.

Or Russia.

Or plenty of other places.

dan...@panix.com

Rod Speed

Nov 24, 2021, 8:29:42 PM11/24/21
Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote
> Bob F wrote
>> Dean Hoffman wrote

>> > People in Bangladesh seem to fend off the Covid virus better than
>> > others.
>> > <https://andmagazine.com/talk/2021/11/22/why-isnt-everyone-in-bangladesh-dead/>
>> >
>> A result of closing things down at all levels until very recently.
>> Lockdowns WORK, see.
>>
>> https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/bangladesh/
>
> The article talks about the crowding.

But cant explain why HongKong is much more crowded and does much better than
Bangladesh.

> A person in the capitol has about 291 square feet of space. That's a
> square of about seventeen feet. Would a lockdown do much good?

Yes, China has proved that a very gung ho lockdown indeed is extremely
effective at stopping the spread of the virus. They in fact quite literally
weld up the doors and leave the inhabitants to recover or die.

> "Dhaka, the nation’s capital, has a population density of 36,941 residents
> per square kilometer. That is 95,677 people per square mile."

Pity about HongKong, Shanghai, Peking and countless other chinese citys.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 24, 2021, 8:29:49 PM11/24/21
On 11/24/2021 7:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Not so simple to say yes or no. You can put uninfected people close
together with no problem and no disease. Toss in one infected carrier
and now you have a problem. Even in a less dense if that particular
person moves around a lot.

The less interaction of infected with uninfected the better, thus the
lock down but what works in one city may not be at all effective in
another. Is there a lot of public transportation or do the majority
drive their own car? Do they work on a farm or in a tight meat packing
plant?

Minimizing interaction has to help, of course.

Peeler

Nov 25, 2021, 5:04:24 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 12:29:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: <g4t0jt...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

Nov 25, 2021, 5:06:14 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 11:27:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: <0001HW.22B654E700...@news.giganews.com>"