Moving a dryer - OK to lay it on the side or back?

bryan

Nov 2, 2008, 9:10:28 AM11/2/08
I am moving a gas dryer and was curious if they're OK to lay on their
sides or back. Any problems with the bearing, etc?

Steve Barker DLT

Nov 2, 2008, 9:12:15 AM11/2/08
it's fine. can't imagine why though, they take up less space standing up
proper.

"bryan" <bryans...@gmail.com> wrote in message

retired54

Nov 2, 2008, 9:14:24 AM11/2/08

"bryan" <bryans...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am moving a gas dryer and was curious if they're OK to lay on their
> sides or back. Any problems with the bearing, etc?

I wouldn't. Check the mfg. web site. Maybe they have moving directions in
the manual.

Olddog

Doug Miller

Nov 2, 2008, 10:58:59 AM11/2/08
In article <6410d3c8-1e8c-48e9...@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com>, bryan <bryans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I am moving a gas dryer and was curious if they're OK to lay on their
>sides or back. Any problems with the bearing, etc?

Sure, but why bother? It's more trouble, and takes up more space. Plus, if you
lay it on its side, you may scratch up the enamel finish too. What would be
the point?

daszki...@yahoo.com

Nov 2, 2008, 5:12:38 PM11/2/08
On Nov 2, 9:10 am, bryan <bryanschol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am moving a gas dryer and was curious if they're OK to lay on their
> sides or back. Any problems with the bearing, etc?

depending on how old is the dryer i would either move it ( in upward
or sideways position - doesn't really matter) or not even bother
moving it; we moved 3 yrs. old electric dryer last year to a new
house; it quit after few more uses ----- heating elements simply fell
apart.........

bryan

Nov 2, 2008, 10:49:15 PM11/2/08
Best answer = check the manual for moving instructions. Thanks! I will
do that, that's probably the best way to start.

Anyway, here are the details

We're moving it in a 2002 VW Golf, which can accommodate a 30x30x48
inch dryer lying down. Not everyone has access to a truck.

Does anyone know anything specific that will hurt a GAS dryer if I lie
it down? I can lay it on the side or back.

Rick Brandt

Nov 3, 2008, 7:36:42 AM11/3/08

It's just a question of whether any internal parts are partially held in
place by gravity. Those could start moving around once the dryer is laid on
its side. If you have any of these they might go right back into place when
the dryer is turned back upright or they might not. In addition, if
anything moves around it might damage itself or other components while doing
so.

I would try gently tilting the unit and listen (feel) for any shifting. My
guess is that you will be fine. The drum in particular might move around a
bit, but that is largely dependent on how long the drive is and how rough
the roads.

I would be more worried about a washer than a dryer as dryers just aren't
that heavy.

Stormin Mormon

Nov 3, 2008, 12:40:15 PM11/3/08
Some of the dry may leak out. Other than that, no concerns.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Steve Barker DLT

Nov 3, 2008, 4:54:56 PM11/3/08
you gonna put the washer and all the furniture in the Golf also????
Jeeeeze.... spend $15 and rent a truck. Someone youknow has one . i
guarantee it.

"bryan" <bryans...@gmail.com> wrote in message

bryan

Nov 4, 2008, 9:12:55 AM11/4/08
> you gonna put the washer and all the furniture in the Golf also????
> Jeeeeze....  spend $15 and rent a truck.   Someone youknow has one .   i
> guarantee it.

It's a simple question, people. Don't assume things you don't know.

Lori

Jan 29, 2017, 10:44:09 AM1/29/17
replying to bryan, Lori wrote:
Is it ok to lay a front load dryer on back to transport on truck

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/moving-a-dryer-ok-to-lay-it-on-the-side-or-back-339762-.htm

Unknown

Jan 29, 2017, 10:57:23 AM1/29/17
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 15:44:03 GMT, Lori <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to bryan, Lori wrote:
>Is it ok to lay a front load dryer on back to transport on truck

I'm sure the OP figured that out -- way back in 2008!
Pay attention people.

Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law

Jan 29, 2017, 11:14:55 AM1/29/17
Not if you are stacking it.

As long as there are no chemicals in the heating unit that would convert temperatures to thermal levels.

catalpa

Jan 30, 2017, 6:30:24 PM1/30/17

"Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law" <hic...@gmail.com> wrote in message
WTF, chemicals in a dryer. Do you make meth in your dryer?

Amber Sheffield

Feb 4, 2021, 7:23:33 PM2/4/21
some people have SUV's not trucks to transport them in so this is why you would lay them on their side

Hawk

Feb 5, 2021, 9:23:37 AM2/5/21
13 years ago, I'm gonna guess they figured it out, though, I could be wrong.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 5, 2021, 9:37:09 AM2/5/21
Yes, they did. Instead of laying it down they borrowed a Radio Flyer
wagon from the kid next door and put the dryer on that. Took a while to
haul it the 35 miles home but it was in good shape when they got there.

Jim Joyce

Feb 5, 2021, 4:27:08 PM2/5/21
That reminds me and makes me laugh. I have one of those Gorilla yard carts
with 10-inch pneumatic tires. It's very handy for yard work but they saw
fit to include a sticker that says, "Not suitable for highway use." Really?
I wonder how many people tied those wagons to their rear bumpers before the
company realized they needed to add a warning.

Hawk

Feb 5, 2021, 6:34:15 PM2/5/21
I have a strong hunch some idiot actually tried that, hence the reason
for the label.

It's become evident many warning labels are required due to the idiots
who have actually attempted using a product not intended for it's
purpose and tried suing the company when it failed to hold up or caused
injury.

micky

Feb 5, 2021, 8:41:52 PM2/5/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 05 Feb 2021 15:27:03 -0600, Jim Joyce
ROTFL Can't be too careful.

My favorite was a Superman costume with the warning, Caution, Cape will
not enable the wearer to fly.

https://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2010/02/warning-wearing-superman-costume-does-not-enable-flight.html
https://www.forbes.com/2010/01/29/safety-caution-product-liability-entrepreneurs-law-warning-labels_slide.html?sh=5379a7b52fa1
I've reached my limit of 4 for Forbes and it doesn't appear to reset
at the start of the month. But there is still my other web browwer. I
feel so sneaky.
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/05/business/warning-maybe-too-much-of-a-good-thing.html
"In the early years of the tort explosion, plaintiffs and their
lawyers won large verdicts by proving that manufacturers sold products
they knew or should have known were unsafe: cars that burst into flames;
birth control devices that left women sterile; asbestos that caused
cancer.
Now that those avenues for recovery are more limited, trial lawyers
have asserted claims that their clients were injured because product
makers failed to warn against the predictable misuse of their products.
''It's become a joke,'' said Aaron Locker, general counsel to the Toy
Manufacturers of America. ''Regulators say that warning is the least
effective way to protect kids; most people don't read the warnings
anyway. But this is what we've come to in a highly litigious society
which permits litigation like this without restraint.''
.....The warning sticker on an aluminum stepladder is nearly a foot
long, inveighing against nearly every conceivable danger. The 21-point
label warns of the danger of electrocution, of falls, of placing a
ladder in front of an unlocked door, of using a ladder when not in good
physical condition. Item 17: Do Not Overreach.
.....Mr. Schwartz said he advised companies that a useful warning
must accomplish three things: Get the user's attention, describe the
danger in vivid terms and give specific instructions on how to avoid
injury.

He cited the example of the aerosol propellant 1,1,1 trichloroethane,
which was used in spray cans of household cleaners. In the early 1980's,
teen-agers discovered they could get high by spraying the cleaner into a
plastic bag and breathing the propellant fumes.

The label on the can clearly warned of death or serious injury if the
product was inhaled, Mr. Schwartz said, but some young people ignored
it, leading to at least one death. The company wanted to make the
warning larger, but Mr. Schwartz argued against it, saying that
teen-agers would then assume that there was more of the propellant in
the product.

''What do kids worry about more than death or injury?'' Mr. Schwartz
asked his clients. ''How they look, of course. So we wrote the warning
to say that sniffing the stuff could cause hair loss or facial
disfigurement. It doesn't, but it scared the target audience and we
haven't had a liability claim since then.''

''That's why,'' he added, ''I'm paid $370 an hour.''"
https://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~hornby/amuse/list_labels.txt
http://udel.edu/~pollack/Acct350/Handouts/Wacky%20Warning%20Labels.htm

micky

Feb 5, 2021, 8:50:12 PM2/5/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 05 Feb 2021 20:41:45 -0500, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>https://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~hornby/amuse/list_labels.txt
On the package for Top Cog <tm> fan belts (automotive use), the first
step of the instructions tells you not to change the belt while the
engine is running.
----------
>From a Boston Globe piece, during a 1973 summer heat wave, describing
ways to "beat the heat."
"No. 1. Stay out of the direct rays of the sun."
----------
Found on the inside of a pull top lid of a liquid radiator sealant:
"Caution: DO NOT LICK LID"
----------
written on the back of one of those things you put in your car
windshield on sunny days when you park to keep your dash from melting:
DO NOT OPERATE VEHICLE WITH SCREEN IN PLACE
----------
....And my favorite warning appears on a box of those cloth roller
towels in restrooms. It says something like:
Warning! Improper use may cause serious injury or death!
----------
>http://udel.edu/~pollack/Acct350/Handouts/Wacky%20Warning%20Labels.htm
Very funny examples, but they don't come out that funny. It must be
something to do with Delaware.

Rod Speed

Feb 5, 2021, 10:43:31 PM2/5/21

"micky" <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote in message
Yep, its infested with arsehole lawyers.

Tekkie©

Feb 6, 2021, 3:58:08 PM2/6/21

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 18:35:23 -0500, Hawk posted for all of us to digest...
I was going to buy one of those but I saw it didn't have a trailer hitch or
lights. Maybe the option package?

--
Tekkie

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 6, 2021, 4:36:25 PM2/6/21
No hitch needed. If you have a station wagon or SUV just open the back
window and have your wife hold the handle. Just don't go over about 60
mph or it get hard to hold.

Tekkie©

Feb 6, 2021, 5:12:52 PM2/6/21

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 16:36:17 -0500, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...
I have to go up the PA Tpk tomorrow and it's expected to snow. Will I need
chains?

--
Tekkie

Jim Joyce

Feb 7, 2021, 6:13:34 PM2/7/21
Yes, the trailer hitch is available as an option. You still have to do the
lights separately.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Carts-GOR-HDL-DOS-Replacement-Utility/dp/B001H9NV9K/

Replacement 2-in-1 utility handle
Easily converts from a pull handle to a trailer hitch in seconds
Allows your cart to be pulled by hand or behind a lawn tractor or ATV

bruce bowser

Feb 8, 2021, 5:23:18 AM2/8/21
I sure hope a dryer didn't fall from 80,000 ft. on to a cement pad.

Tekkie©

Feb 9, 2021, 4:45:48 PM2/9/21

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 17:13:29 -0600, Jim Joyce posted for all of us to digest...
Thanks. I don't know if that will handle the load. I wanted to haul about 10
tons of crap around with my wife sitting on top to keep the tarp down.

Could you look again and see if they have one for a tractor trailer fifth
wheel? It will have to be good for 60+ mph. :-)

--
Tekkie

cheese

Jan 13, 2022, 2:01:39 PM (6 days ago) Jan 13
"Less space" is relative. If it's standing upright, it's taking up more vertical space and may not fit in the back of a van that way.