Concrete dry time to build shed on it?

damian drewek

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?

Please email response to dam...@qgraph.com

Thank You.
Damian

Joe Supulski

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

Within a day or two...your not talking about a major weight load
here...If you can walk on it without scuffing the concrete it should be
ready to go...

Bob and Ellen Curry

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

We have people framing on foundations in a day or two, also. The
longer the better, of course. The standard for cured concrete is 28
days (to 3000 psi) but you have a lot of strength in just a few days.

bob curry

danh...@millcomm.com

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

In <35475E...@qgraph.com>, damian drewek <ddr...@qgraph.com> writes:
>I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
>I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?

24 hours is plenty, so long as you don't stress the slab. Keep it damp as
long as possible, though -- several days at least.

Dan Hicks
Hey!! My advice is free -- take it for what it's worth!
http://www.millcomm.com/~danhicks

LETH'R

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

I'd wait at least 72 hours (longer if possible to allow time for the
concrete to cure.

--
Reply to <pcosenza*at*gpu.com> Put a "@" where it belongs.
damian drewek wrote in message <35475E...@qgraph.com>...

>I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
>I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?

David Winslow

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

damian drewek wrote in message <35475E...@qgraph.com>...
>I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
>I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?
>
>Please email response to dam...@qgraph.com
>
>Thank You.
>Damian

Concrete doesn't dry, you should keep it moist. It cures chemically and
they remove forms after three days, will drop heavy loads on slabs in five.

Todd

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98
to damian drewek

damian drewek wrote:

> I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
> I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?
>
> Please email response to dam...@qgraph.com
>
> Thank You.
> Damian

I'd wait 2 weeks to let Type 3 (one day set up) cement cure completely,
though it won't hurt to do it a couple of days after. I'm assuming that
you used Type 1 cement which has a normal set up time. With this type
I'd wait a week. But if you want to be safe and let it cure more, a
month should let it cure enough.

Hope this helps,
Todd

http://www.bohlmann.com

Scott

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

damian drewek wrote in message <35475E...@qgraph.com>...

>I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
>I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?
>
>Please email response to dam...@qgraph.com
>
>Thank You.
>Damian

May be a dumb question, but are you using a foundation? If not, you may
really want to consider
putting one around your slab, especially if you are in a cold climate. I'd
really consider it unless
you are just putting one of those little metal sheds up.

foxeye

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

foxeye wrote:
Hopefully your in a mild climate such as down south if you have no
footer, but it should still survive up north but may shift around
somewhat from where it was originally poured. If you are using
regular framing lumber, I hope you had installed anchor bolts when you
poured the concrete. If not, you may want to wait before drilling and
tightening the expansion type bolts to hold your bottom plate down.
However, you could really start building on it the next day as long as
you could walk on it and not leave marks. Just don't get carried away
with pounding on the slab. It is possible to erect the frame and roof,
and sheath it, then anchor it to the slab later on (as long as no
strong winds come up. If you did put anchor bolts in or use expansion
anchors, just drill your lower plate, and just barely snug the nuts to
the plate, Its not going anywhere. No harm should come to the concrete
slab. BTW I have been told many times it takes a minimum of 7 years
for concrete to fully cure and reach its rated strength. Can't say if
it is true or not, but I have heardit from many different sources. So,
on that assumption, you could wait 7 years before you start to build
if you want it fully dried and cured. <G>

foxeye

>damian drewek wrote in message <35475E...@qgraph.com>...
>>I poured a 4" - 12'x16' slab and want to start building my shed on it.
>>I am wondering how long I have to let it dry before building?
>>
>>Please email response to dam...@qgraph.com
>>
>>Thank You.
>>Damian

The opinions expressed are mine, and mine alone.
My wife had no input whatsoever.Remove www from
email for correct address. Never trust a rocket
or motor company from "Claremont Calif"
NAR #70031