American Academic Excellence,,,NOT

Wade Garrett

Mar 31, 2023, 8:50:22 AM3/31/23
A local news weekly ran a puff-piece about some kids from three local
high schools who had been accepted into s newly established competitive
state scholar program.

Of the 17 kids, there were only five "American" names. The other 12 had
Indian. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese or miscellaneous unpronounceable
foreign monikers.

So 71% of local "best and the brightest" students ain't Smith, Jones or
Johnson. Time to wake up, guys before they eat out lunch.

--
The most effective way to reduce gun violence is to revert to treating
its primary cause— mental illness— rather than normalizing it and

trader_4

Mar 31, 2023, 8:58:38 AM3/31/23
And next we'll have a post from one of the new Republicans telling us how
they welcome, accept and want immigrants as long as they come here
legally. How long exactly does an immigrant have to be here before they
are an American? I'll bet all or almost all of those students was born here,
but apparently that's not good enough either.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 31, 2023, 10:07:23 AM3/31/23
On 3/31/2023 8:50 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> A local news weekly ran a puff-piece about some kids from three local
> high schools who had been accepted into s newly established competitive
> state scholar program.
>
> Of the 17 kids, there were only five "American" names. The other 12 had
> Indian. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese or miscellaneous unpronounceable
> foreign monikers.
>
> So 71% of local "best and the brightest" students ain't Smith, Jones or
> Johnson. Time to wake up, guys before they eat out lunch.

What, exactly, is an American name? If I or my kids were in there would
you count us a foreigners with a Polish name? Did you verify the
citizenship of the winners and their parents?

Seems you are not from here too.

Garrett Family History

This name is of Anglo-Norman descent spreading to Ireland, Scotland and
Wales in early times and is found in many mediaeval manuscripts in the
above countries.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 31, 2023, 11:59:35 AM3/31/23
On 2023-03-31, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
> A local news weekly ran a puff-piece about some kids from three local
> high schools who had been accepted into s newly established competitive
> state scholar program.
>
> Of the 17 kids, there were only five "American" names. The other 12 had
> Indian. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese or miscellaneous unpronounceable
> foreign monikers.

You might seem a little smarter if you could manage to learn to
pronounce those names.

> So 71% of local "best and the brightest" students ain't Smith, Jones or
> Johnson. Time to wake up, guys before they eat out lunch.

Nothing new there. We had a Korean family move into my hometown
when I was in high school and all of us were pissed that those kids
were blowing the grading curve out of the water.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bob F

Mar 31, 2023, 12:15:03 PM3/31/23
On 3/31/2023 5:50 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> A local news weekly ran a puff-piece about some kids from three local
> high schools who had been accepted into s newly established competitive
> state scholar program.
>
> Of the 17 kids, there were only five "American" names. The other 12 had
> Indian. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese or miscellaneous unpronounceable
> foreign monikers.
>
> So 71% of local "best and the brightest" students ain't Smith, Jones or
> Johnson. Time to wake up, guys before they eat out lunch.

You mean that people with names like yours better start studying!

Scott Lurndal

Mar 31, 2023, 12:21:49 PM3/31/23
The person posting with the nom de guerre "wade garrett" has admitted
here, on this newsgroup, that he/she is using the name of a asshole movie character
(who was ultimately stabbed for his assholeness) in the movie Roadhouse.

Ralph Mowery

Mar 31, 2023, 12:25:22 PM3/31/23
In article <ArDVL.2145008$vBI8.1...@fx15.iad>, hami...@invalid.com
says...

> You might seem a little smarter if you could manage to learn to
> pronounce those names.
>
> > So 71% of local "best and the brightest" students ain't Smith, Jones or
> > Johnson. Time to wake up, guys before they eat out lunch.
>
> Nothing new there. We had a Korean family move into my hometown
> when I was in high school and all of us were pissed that those kids
> were blowing the grading curve out of the water.

They were probably not that much smarter, but their parents got behind
them and made them study.

Many students on the low end of the curve now could probably pull their
grades up if parents would take away their smart phones and such if
their grades fall below a certain minimum.
My grandsons grades went up when he found out they had to be so high
before the school would let him compete in sports.

Wade Garrett

Mar 31, 2023, 1:02:36 PM3/31/23
No, he was killed by Wesley's goons in a fight protecting his buddy's back.

--
The most effective way to reduce gun violence is to revert to treating
its primary cause— mental illness— rather than normalizing it and
celebrating it as is currently fashionable among the woke set

rbowman

Mar 31, 2023, 1:26:24 PM3/31/23
On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:50:16 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

> Of the 17 kids, there were only five "American" names. The other 12 had
> Indian. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese or miscellaneous unpronounceable
> foreign monikers.

I bet none of the American names were Jamaal or DuWayne.

rbowman

Mar 31, 2023, 1:28:43 PM3/31/23
On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:07:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> What, exactly, is an American name? If I or my kids were in there would
> you count us a foreigners with a Polish name? Did you verify the
> citizenship of the winners and their parents?

My father always told me to marry a Polish girl. Cook, keep house, bear
children, don't ask questions.

I didn't listen.

rbowman

Mar 31, 2023, 1:31:03 PM3/31/23
On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:59:28 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Nothing new there. We had a Korean family move into my hometown when I
> was in high school and all of us were pissed that those kids were
> blowing the grading curve out of the water.

No danger where I went to high school. I can't remember an Asian student
of any flavor.

rbowman

Mar 31, 2023, 1:32:12 PM3/31/23
On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:25:14 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

> They were probably not that much smarter, but their parents got behind
> them and made them study.

Mama tried...

Peeler

Mar 31, 2023, 3:09:51 PM3/31/23
On 31 Mar 2023 17:28:36 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> My father always told me to marry a Polish girl. Cook, keep house, bear
> children, don't ask questions.
>
> I didn't listen.

Of course not: you are in love with and married to your big mouth ...and you
can't get enough of hearing it chattering all day and night long. <BG>

--
Yet another thrilling account from the resident senile superhero's senile
life:

Peeler

Mar 31, 2023, 3:12:12 PM3/31/23
On 31 Mar 2023 17:32:04 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

>> They were probably not that much smarter, but their parents got behind
>> them and made them study.
>
> Mama tried...

Are you plastered, you dumb hayseed?

Peeler

Mar 31, 2023, 3:23:09 PM3/31/23
On 31 Mar 2023 17:30:54 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> No danger where I went to high school. I can't remember an Asian student
> of any flavor.

See ...but you can gossip about them anyway! Fucking unbelievable! LOL

--
More of the resident senile bigmouth's idiotic "cool" blather:
"For reasons I can't recall I painted a spare bedroom in purple. It may

Peeler

Mar 31, 2023, 3:41:30 PM3/31/23
On 31 Mar 2023 17:26:17 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

>> Of the 17 kids, there were only five "American" names. The other 12 had
>> Indian. Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese or miscellaneous unpronounceable
>> foreign monikers.
>
> I bet none of the American names were Jamaal or DuWayne.

You are one miserable resentful fucked up bigmouth, aren't you,
lowbrowwoman?

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 31, 2023, 5:12:32 PM3/31/23
Detroit suburbs, about 1973 or 1974.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Frank

Mar 31, 2023, 7:00:33 PM3/31/23
That is the way it is. The Chinese, Indian and Korean friends I have
put great emphasis on good educations for their kids.

Apr 2, 2023, 12:29:14 AM4/2/23

Frank

Apr 2, 2023, 8:25:04 AM4/2/23
I do know some black families that have done the same but I guess
unfortunately it is not as pervasive in their community.

micky

Apr 2, 2023, 1:19:24 PM4/2/23
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:21:43 GMT,
Well it serves him right for being Norman.

Apr 2, 2023, 4:47:51 PM4/2/23
It would be more so if we ended the Great Society.