Re: Why did the UK change from round pin to square pin plugs?

hgt

Jun 24, 2022, 8:54:09 PM6/24/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 09:34:57 +1000, Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 10:35:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:21:28 -0700 (PDT), Animal <tabb...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> Fuses and

>> came

>> system.
>> inconvenient, inadequate for increasing numbers of appliances, unsafe
>> and frankly insane. It was a whole pile of unnecessary problems by
>> design, plus there were lots of unsafe plugs, sockets, adaptors etc in
>> use.

>> enabled unlimited sockets to be fitted on just one ring of cable, on 1,
>> 2 or 4 fuses. This was a huge money and material saving over a round
>> pin radial setup with the same number of sockets, which mattered after
>> the war. Also old 15A radials could be upgraded to add unlimited
>> sockets relatively cheaply.

>> lamp with a bellwire or speaker wire mains lead on a 2A plug & socket
>> on a 32A fused ring is not ok. If the same sockets were used, this
>> would be the inevitable common result. A different plug system was
>> needed.

>> round pin system. It also had the desired effect of gradually taking
>> all those round pin hazards out of service. If you've ever used round
>> pin kit you'll know how bad it often was. Kicking plugs to get the pins
>> to make contact was common practice for example. There were wooden
>> plugs & adaptors, some with touchable live tubes. Irons & heaters on BC
>> plugs were common etc.

>> pin BS1363 variant moulded-only plugs could be added, enabling use of 3
>> appliances per single faceplate, 4 or 6 per double.

>> its
>> >
>> >The ring system has clear advantages on cost & safety, yet close to
>> no-one outside the UK understands how it works or what its upsides are.
>> I find that strange but there it is.
>> >Our plugs are bulky compared to most countries, and using radials they
>> don't need the plug fuse, so ours don't suit radial systems
>> particularly well. And ours are a hazard to feet.
>
>> I am still finding it difficult to follow the concept of radial
>> circuits. If there are 10 sockets in the kitchen, does each have its
>> own cable run to the consumer unit and its own fuse there? Do all the
>> cables run in a single conduit of does each run separately? This
>> would require a maze of cabling and a vast number of fuses.
>>
>> I suppose the way round it would be to have one main socket and lots
>> of extensions, but this would be less safe than our system. How would
>> the user know which was the main socket for high current appliances?
>> Two appliances could bring down a 16 amp fuse.
>
> Take a look at a domestic American 'breaker panel'. Yep, they have a ton
> of breakers.

> I think they get 2 or 3 sockets per radial, but not sure on that point

It is nothing like that low.

Jon Foster

Jun 25, 2022, 1:14:12 AM6/25/22
Capitalism.

Peeler

Jun 25, 2022, 4:35:06 AM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:53:58 +1000, hgt, better known as cantankerous

Tim+ about trolling Rodent Speed:
He is by far the most persistent troll who seems to be able to get under the
skin of folk who really should know better. Since when did arguing with a
troll ever achieve anything (beyond giving the troll pleasure)?
MID: <1421057667.659518815.743...@news.individual.net>

hgt

Jun 25, 2022, 10:25:32 AM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 22:17:47 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <c0a64f08-6d9d-4ae5...@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Take a look at a domestic American 'breaker panel'. Yep, they have a
>> ton of breakers.
>> I think they get 2 or 3 sockets per radial, but not sure on that point
>
> It's interesting that the panel is often situated in a very easy to get
> at
> place. Suggesting trips are commonplace.

In fact trips are not commonplace in the USA or Canada.

Peeler

Jun 25, 2022, 11:10:45 AM6/25/22
On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 00:25:19 +1000, hgt, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Dave Plowman (News)

Jun 26, 2022, 10:30:16 AM6/26/22
In article <op.1obo0...@pvr2.lan>,
You live there, then? Aren't you Wodney under yet another alias?

Just why would you stick a breaker panel in the middle of a living room
wall if you rarely needed to access it?

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

hgt

Jun 26, 2022, 3:26:04 PM6/26/22
On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 00:26:26 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <op.1obo0...@pvr2.lan>,
> hgt <tf...@nurk.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 22:17:47 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
>> <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>> point
>> >
>> > It's interesting that the panel is often situated in a very easy to
>> get
>> > at
>> > place. Suggesting trips are commonplace.
>
>> In fact trips are not commonplace in the USA or Canada.

> You live there, then?

Don't need to. We have this funky system called usenet where
we can ask others in different countries about how often they
see stuff like that happening.

> Just why would you stick a breaker panel in the middle of a living room
> wall if you rarely needed to access it?

Why do you believe that that is common there ? Have you lived there ?

Peeler

Jun 26, 2022, 3:47:51 PM6/26/22
On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 05:25:56 +1000, hgt, better known as cantankerous

Dave Plowman (News)

Jun 27, 2022, 10:35:37 AM6/27/22
In article <op.1odxl...@pvr2.lan>,
hgt <tf...@nurk.com> wrote:
> > You live there, then?

> Don't need to. We have this funky system called usenet where
> we can ask others in different countries about how often they
> see stuff like that happening.

Do they tell the same lies as you, Wodney?

> > Just why would you stick a breaker panel in the middle of a living room
> > wall if you rarely needed to access it?

> Why do you believe that that is common there ? Have you lived there ?

Thought you knew how to use usenet, etc. You lied about that too, then?

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

hgt

Jun 28, 2022, 12:59:13 AM6/28/22
On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 00:32:06 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <op.1odxl...@pvr2.lan>,
> hgt <tf...@nurk.com> wrote:
>> > You live there, then?
>
>> Don't need to. We have this funky system called usenet where
>> we can ask others in different countries about how often they
>> see stuff like that happening.
>
> Do they tell the same lies as you ?
>
>> > Just why would you stick a breaker panel in the middle of a living
>> room
>> > wall if you rarely needed to access it?
>
>> Why do you believe that that is common there ? Have you lived there ?
>
> Thought you knew how to use usenet, etc. You lied about that too, then?

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Peeler

Jun 28, 2022, 3:26:25 AM6/28/22
On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 14:59:03 +1000, hgt, better known as cantankerous

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 88-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/