OT: Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms?

Commander Kinsey

Jul 19, 2022, 3:15:36 PMJul 19
Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is using that land....

Unknown

Jul 19, 2022, 3:47:32 PMJul 19
Costs of construction of towers and power lines would be prohibitive.

Wade Garrett

Jul 19, 2022, 4:19:49 PMJul 19
Not to worry.

The dems in Washington could just borrow it. After all, what's another
trill or two piled onto our obscene level national debt?

Or if they didn't want to do that, just crank up the presses and print
some more money.

Devalue our currency and further fuel inflation? Hey, just welcome a few
mill more illegals across the southern border and get them registered to
vote...

Peeler

Jul 19, 2022, 4:32:43 PMJul 19
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 20:15:28 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven Wanker","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

<FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic trolling attention whore's latest
attention-baiting sick bullshit unread again>

--
damdu...@yahoo.co.uk about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a fucking moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"the piss poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
thekma...@gmail.com asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander
Kinsey" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic wanker Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
cl...@snyder.on.ca about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a shithole with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his shit is so grand he has the right to

alan_m

Jul 19, 2022, 4:36:43 PMJul 19
Cost in getting the cable up there? Road required for regular maintenance?

Peeler

Jul 19, 2022, 4:38:33 PMJul 19
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 15:47:22 -0400, Retired at Home, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered again:

> Costs of construction of towers and power lines would be prohibitive.

Another senile asshole who couldn't resist taking the PROVEN clinically
insane trolling attention whore's latest idiotic bait! <tsk>

Peeler

Jul 19, 2022, 4:52:49 PMJul 19
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:36:36 +0100, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile retard, blathered again:

> Cost in getting the cable up there? Road required for regular maintenance?

Retarded troll perhaps, anal_m? A troll so retarded that you couldn't resist
it again, senile sicko? <BG>

Commander Kinsey

Jul 19, 2022, 5:11:49 PMJul 19
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:36:36 +0100, alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 19/07/2022 20:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a
>> mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is using
>> that land....
>
> Cost in getting the cable up there? Road required for regular maintenance?

Lack of cost of buying or renting land? Land is very expensive.

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2022, 5:31:01 PMJul 19
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:11:42 +1000, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Wind farms don't usually do either.

> Land is very expensive.

Peeler

Jul 19, 2022, 5:52:22 PMJul 19
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:30:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

<FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather>

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish wanker and the senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse shit doesn't stink."

Senile Rodent: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky shit, but then why does vegetarian human shit stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rodent: "Nope, some cow shit stinks too."

rbowman

Jul 19, 2022, 6:12:59 PMJul 19
https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/history/world-record-wind.aspx

At 231 mph they'd be looking for the turbine blades in Maine (a state 15
miles east of Washington)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNqjirbWoQ

There are cut-off strategies for abnormal wind speeds. Sometimes they work.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 19, 2022, 6:27:20 PMJul 19
We need to design better turbines then, the current ones suck.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 19, 2022, 6:58:02 PMJul 19
Good idea. After Trumps increase of national debt of 7.8 trillion, a
few more won't matter.

Bob F

Jul 19, 2022, 7:08:36 PMJul 19
WOW, you are a lost in space case.

Bob F

Jul 19, 2022, 7:40:30 PMJul 19
Every installation would take special design studies, lightning, rock
fall, avalanches, inaccessibility.

Plus, if you don't like looking at windmills on your nearby mountains,
it would be pretty hard to miss them.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 19, 2022, 8:00:50 PMJul 19
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 00:40:51 +0100, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/2022 12:47 PM, Retired at Home wrote:
>>
>> On 7/19/22 3:15 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a
>>> mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is
>>> using that land....
>>
>> Costs of construction of towers and power lines would be prohibitive.
>
> Every installation would take special design studies, lightning, rock
> fall, avalanches, inaccessibility.

Studies, assessments, red tape, health and softy, for goodness sake just get on with it.

> Plus, if you don't like looking at windmills on your nearby mountains,
> it would be pretty hard to miss them.

They're further away than in the field next door. Things that are further away appear smaller. You also can't hear them. We could also make them look pretty - they can make mobile phone masts look like trees.

rbowman

Jul 19, 2022, 10:28:33 PMJul 19
https://live.staticflickr.com/3377/3261622897_22573e4108_h.jpg

That's a 7940' mountain and I can clearly see the stuff from my
backyard, 11 miles away as the vulture flies. The black thing is a
weather service radome but there's a lot of other stuff up there too.
fortunately nobody has been crazy enough to try to put turbines up there.

The College of Technology has a little one they mess around with but
it's conveniently located in a windy canyon served by the city buses.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 19, 2022, 10:35:01 PMJul 19
Oh come on that's a telephoto shot. Ben Nevis's peak (half that height) looks further away when I'm stood at the bottom of it. And wind turbines aren't huge black domes that stand out like that.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 19, 2022, 10:41:25 PMJul 19
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 03:28:24 +0100, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

I like that photo, I'll have it for my background. Got any more nice scenic shots? Or wildlife?

rbowman

Jul 20, 2022, 1:23:45 AMJul 20
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pgx664EGkIo/UvGlmLe5FhI/AAAAAAAABCA/sfsJ4IbxBgc/s1600/palm-springs-wind-farms.jpg

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/california-altamont-pass-wind-farm-aerial-view-picture-id200396463-001

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/04/09/01/47_big.jpg

Just consider them art installations. Those are three in California, San
Gorgonio Pass, Altamont Pass, and Tehachapi Pass. They date back to the
'80s after the energy problems of the '70s made them attractive to rent
seekers. They were a novelty 40 years ago but now are eyesores. They're
also rough on condors, eagles, and other birds.

The passes are reliable wind sources. In fact the interstate that runs
through San Gorgonio is windy enough that trucks are blown over fairly
frequently.

When I went back east a couple of years ago I was surprised by the
number of wind farms in Iowa. It's pretty flat, but there were the
turbines growing in the corn fields. Not everyone is happy though.

https://www.iowapublicradio.org/ipr-news/2022-02-15/a-proposed-southwest-iowa-wind-farm-faces-opposition-from-local-residents

zaq

Jul 20, 2022, 1:28:13 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:00:42 +1000, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Lot easier to make a phone tower look like a tree than a fucking great
wind turbine which has fucking great rotating blades on it, stupid.

rbowman

Jul 20, 2022, 1:37:47 AMJul 20
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=bitterroot+mountains&iax=images&ia=images

Knock yourself out. I've got a bunch that I've taken over the years in
the Bitterroots and Missions, although sometimes I'm not exactly sure
where they were taken. I should get a camera that geotags the images.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=montana+wildlife&ia=images&iax=images

I don't have too many wildlife photos. I do have some photos of a family
of mountain goats coming down a trail that people think were taken with
a telephoto lens. No so. It was me nose to nose with the lead goat
discussing who was going to get the hell off the trail.

Usually if I come upon a bear or mountain lion the camera is either at
home or in my pack. Elk, whitetail deer, mule deer, moose, and so forth
are common enough that you don't think of taking a photo. Antelope
aren't common in this part of the state but there are some on the
National Bison Range, about 30 miles north of here. Bison, too, of course.

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 2:50:00 AMJul 20
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 20:28:24 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> https://live.staticflickr.com/3377/3261622897_22573e4108_h.jpg
>
> That's a 7940' mountain and I can clearly see the stuff from my
> backyard, 11 miles away as the vulture flies. The black thing is a
> weather service radome

I can clearly see that you are a pathological BIGMOUTH just like your hero
Stumpie is, lowbrowwoman! You're both disgusting!

--
Yet more absolutely idiotic senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"I save my fries quota for one of the local food trucks that offers

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 2:52:12 AMJul 20
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:23:36 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Just consider them art installations. Those are three in California, San
> Gorgonio Pass, Altamont Pass, and Tehachapi Pass. They date back to the
> '80s after the energy problems of the '70s made them attractive to rent
> seekers. They were a novelty 40 years ago but now are eyesores. They're
> also rough on condors, eagles, and other birds.

Good grief! WTF has your latest senile shit got to do with the two ngs you
keep crossposting it to, you pathological BIGMOUTH and devoted sucker of
troll cock? Get the fuck out of here!

--
More of the senile gossip's absolutely idiotic senile blather:
"I stopped for breakfast at a diner in Virginia when the state didn't do

I also lived in Ft. Wayne for a while."

MID: <t0tjfa$6r5$1...@dont-email.me>

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 2:53:42 AMJul 20
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:37:37 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

<FLUSH the senile bigmouth's latest verbose grandiloquent sick blather>

TAKE YOUR MEDS, you obnoxious senile gossip!

--
Gossiping "lowbrowwoman" about herself:
"Usenet is my blog... I don't give a damn if anyone ever reads my posts

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 2:54:30 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:28:02 +1000, zaq, better known as cantankerous

<FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather>

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own shit?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the shit."

MID: <fv66ka...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 2:56:45 AMJul 20
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 16:12:51 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> At 231 mph they'd be looking for the turbine blades in Maine (a state 15
> miles east of Washington)

Is there no way to wean your big Yankee mouth away from the unwashed
Scottish wanker's cock, lowbrowwoman?

--
Yet more of the very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"My family loaded me into a '51 Chevy and drove from NY to Seattle and

alan_m

Jul 20, 2022, 3:08:37 AMJul 20
There are already some places in Wales where they possibly rely a bit
more on tourism where the spectacular views are spoilt by wind turbines
on the hill tops. They do cause their own form of visual polution.

Brian Gaff

Jul 20, 2022, 5:27:53 AMJul 20
I'd imagine for several reasons. Firstly, its hard to build stuff up on
mountains, and ignoring how awful it might look, the weather is extreme and
changeable, which as you know is the problem with wind turbines. They like
regular winds not huge gusts ice forming on their blades and needing a
mountaineer to get to them to repair line or turbine damage.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 5:47:19 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:27:43 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

> I'd imagine for several reasons. Firstly, its hard to build stuff up on
> mountains, and ignoring how awful it might look, the weather is extreme and
> changeable, which as you know is the problem with wind turbines. They like
> regular winds not huge gusts ice forming on their blades and needing a
> mountaineer to get to them to repair line or turbine damage.
>
> Brainless & Daft

Firstly, HE is a stinking attention-starved TROLL, while YOU are a STINKING
troll-feeding senile CRETIN! And an especially disgusting blind one!

See you over in uk.d-i-y again, you troll-feeding senile SHITHEAD!

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 20, 2022, 6:34:21 AMJul 20
On 19/07/2022 21:36, alan_m wrote:
> On 19/07/2022 20:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a
>> mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is
>> using that land....
>
> Cost in getting the cable up there?  Road required for regular maintenance?

Because they would be more expensive and still wouldn't work

--
“I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

― Leo Tolstoy

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 20, 2022, 6:40:15 AMJul 20
On 20/07/2022 10:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I'd imagine for several reasons. Firstly, its hard to build stuff up on
> mountains, and ignoring how awful it might look, the weather is extreme and
> changeable, which as you know is the problem with wind turbines. They like
> regular winds not huge gusts ice forming on their blades and needing a
> mountaineer to get to them to repair line or turbine damage.

Exactly, that's why the proper place in fir a turbine is in a nuclear
power station turbine hall, with a constant supply of steam going to them

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain

rbowman

Jul 20, 2022, 8:46:47 AMJul 20
And it's never one fucking great wind turbine...

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 20, 2022, 8:58:06 AMJul 20
On 7/20/2022 6:34 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 19/07/2022 21:36, alan_m wrote:
>> On 19/07/2022 20:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a
>>> mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is
>>> using that land....
>>
>> Cost in getting the cable up there?  Road required for regular
>> maintenance?
>>
> Because they would be more expensive and still wouldn't work

Agree about expensive and other issues of getting there. may not be cost
effective. But why would they not work? Probably would require a
different design, smaller diameter blades.

rbowman

Jul 20, 2022, 9:07:38 AMJul 20
There's one thing the rich and famous across the political spectrum
agree on -- they don't want a wnd farm spoiling the view from their
seaside mansions:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kennedys-kochs-help-kill-planned-wind-farm-off-cape-cod

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-has-just-approved-a-massive-new-wind-farm-south-of-marthas-vineyard

One that was finally approved encountered another snag. The 1920 Jones
Act stipulates only US built, registered, and crewed vessels can be used
to transfer goods between US ports, and Congress decided that applied to
the specialized vessels used in construction of offshore wind farms.
Unfortunately such vessels didn't exist.

The Jones Act also poses problems for LNG transportation. There are only
80 vessels left in the US maritime fleet and I don't believe any are LNG
tankers so shipping LNG from say Texas to Boston isn't possible.
Cynically that's behind the US push to have Europe dependent on US LNG
rather than cheaper Russian gas. They have to ship it someplace...

rbowman

Jul 20, 2022, 9:12:06 AMJul 20
On 07/20/2022 03:27 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I'd imagine for several reasons. Firstly, its hard to build stuff up on
> mountains, and ignoring how awful it might look, the weather is extreme and
> changeable, which as you know is the problem with wind turbines. They like
> regular winds not huge gusts ice forming on their blades and needing a
> mountaineer to get to them to repair line or turbine damage.

There are a number of electronic installations on a local mountain
that's just under 8000 feet. While there is a road to the site for at
least six months of the year some of the 12 miles is only passable with
snow machines. Taking a few electronic parts up on a snowmobile in an
emergency is a bit different than maintaining a wind farm.

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 10:01:35 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 06:46:39 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> And it's never one fucking great wind turbine...

And it's always driveling, useless, senile SHITHEADS like the two of you!

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 10:02:34 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:07:28 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> There's one thing the rich and famous across the political spectrum
> agree on

Oh, FUCK! The grandiloquent senile Yankee bigmouth is at it again...

--
Yet more of the very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 10:08:23 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:11:57 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> There are a number of

There are huge number of driveling, troll-feeding, senile shitheads in these
newsgroups! But you are the most grandiloquent, with the biggest mouth of
them all, gossip girl! <BG>

--
More typical idiotic senile gossip by lowbrowwoman:
"It's been years since I've been in a fast food burger joint but I used

Frank

Jul 20, 2022, 10:20:44 AMJul 20
On 7/19/2022 7:08 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 7/19/2022 1:19 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

>>> Costs of construction of towers and power lines would be prohibitive.
>>
>> Not to worry.
>>
>> The dems in Washington could just borrow it. After all, what's another
>> trill or two piled onto our obscene level national debt?
>>
>> Or if they didn't want to do that, just crank up the presses and
>> print some more money.
>>
>> Devalue our currency and further fuel inflation? Hey, just welcome a
>> few mill more illegals across the southern border and get them
>> registered to vote...
>>

> WOW, you are a lost in space case.

Republicans spend money and you complain then dems double down and you
are quiet.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 20, 2022, 11:13:12 AMJul 20
I think they look quite pretty.

> https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/california-altamont-pass-wind-farm-aerial-view-picture-id200396463-001

No different to pylons.

I love the way it's the same greenies who say we must use renewables, and then say we mustn't put things on the landscape. So what do we do then? No electricity?

> http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/04/09/01/47_big.jpg

That would make an interesting parachute landing.

> Just consider them art installations. Those are three in California, San
> Gorgonio Pass, Altamont Pass, and Tehachapi Pass. They date back to the
> '80s after the energy problems of the '70s made them attractive to rent
> seekers. They were a novelty 40 years ago but now are eyesores. They're
> also rough on condors, eagles, and other birds.

They will learn to go round them, just as most wildlife has learned to avoid getting run over by cars.

> The passes are reliable wind sources. In fact the interstate that runs
> through San Gorgonio is windy enough that trucks are blown over fairly
> frequently.
>
> When I went back east a couple of years ago I was surprised by the
> number of wind farms in Iowa. It's pretty flat, but there were the
> turbines growing in the corn fields. Not everyone is happy though.
>
> https://www.iowapublicradio.org/ipr-news/2022-02-15/a-proposed-southwest-iowa-wind-farm-faces-opposition-from-local-residents

Do people moan about solar too? A local semi-retired farmer here (I did computer work for him a few times) filled a huge field with them. Makes a lot of money apparently.

Joe

Jul 20, 2022, 11:22:59 AMJul 20
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 20:15:28 +0100
"Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a
> mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is
> using that land....

The first wind farm I ever saw was in Altamont Pass, though that isn't
particularly high.

--
Joe

Commander Kinsey

Jul 20, 2022, 11:23:38 AMJul 20
That is beautiful countryside.

> https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=montana+wildlife&ia=images&iax=images
>
> I don't have too many wildlife photos. I do have some photos of a family
> of mountain goats coming down a trail that people think were taken with
> a telephoto lens. No so. It was me nose to nose with the lead goat
> discussing who was going to get the hell off the trail.
>
> Usually if I come upon a bear or mountain lion the camera is either at
> home or in my pack. Elk, whitetail deer, mule deer, moose, and so forth
> are common enough that you don't think of taking a photo. Antelope
> aren't common in this part of the state but there are some on the
> National Bison Range, about 30 miles north of here. Bison, too, of course.

I take it you're not a take your phone everywhere with you person? Not that phones take very good photos. The only phone I saw that did was a South African colleague who had a phone with a great big lens stuck an inch out the back. He said it was a phone camera, not a camera phone.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 20, 2022, 11:24:52 AMJul 20
It's a matter of opinion, some people like the New York skyline as something scenic to look at. I don't. But there's nothing wrong with some windmills. Maybe they should make them look more like the old wooden ones.

Commander Kinsey

Jul 20, 2022, 11:43:44 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:34:14 +0100, The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 19/07/2022 21:36, alan_m wrote:
>> On 19/07/2022 20:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> Why don't we cover mountains in wind farms? Anyone who's climbed a
>>> mountain will tell you it's much windier up there. Plus nobody is
>>> using that land....
>>
>> Cost in getting the cable up there? Road required for regular maintenance?
>>
> Because they would be more expensive and still wouldn't work

The UK at this very instant is using 19% wind power, a significant amount which could easily be made into 100% by multiplying the wind farms by 5.
https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Commander Kinsey

Jul 20, 2022, 11:44:24 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 13:57:58 +0100, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

> On 7/20/2022 6:34 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Cost in getting the cable up there? Road required for regular
>>> maintenance?
>>>
>> Because they would be more expensive and still wouldn't work
>
> Agree about expensive and other issues of getting there. may not be cost
> effective.

Well current wind farms are only charging $0.06 per kWh.

Peeler

Jul 20, 2022, 11:56:55 AMJul 20
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:22:44 +0100, Joe, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

> The first wind farm I ever saw was in Altamont Pass, though that isn't
> particularly high.

When was the first absolutely idiotic troll bait you ever saw that you did
not take, troll-feeding senile moron? <BG>

Colin Bignell

Jul 20, 2022, 12:30:03 PMJul 20
On 20/07/2022 13:57, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/20/2022 6:34 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Cost in getting the cable up there?  Road required for regular
>>> maintenance?
>>>
>> Because they would be more expensive and still wouldn't work
>>

> Agree about expensive and other issues of getting there. may not be cost
> effective.  But why would they not work?

It would produce electricity, but saying that means it works is akin to
saying that a traction engine works as a means of daily transport. It
will do the job, but very inefficiently. The traction engine would be
more fun though.

Probably would require a
> different design, smaller diameter blades.

--
Colin Bignell

Commander Kinsey

Jul 20, 2022, 12:56:09 PMJul 20