Strange White Gas when Mixing Oxiclean and Clorox Bleach

George

Jul 30, 2004, 6:39:59 PM7/30/04
Can someone tell me what white gas is being put off when I mix oxiclean
(powder) and Clorox bleach (liquid) in my washing machine?

Boca Jan

Jul 31, 2004, 12:45:39 AM7/31/04
According to the Oxi directions you are NOT supposed to mix it with bleach.
It is a one or the other deal.

I wouldn't do that again if I were you.

"George" <geo...@bellsowth.net> wrote in message

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Jul 31, 2004, 8:41:39 AM7/31/04
George <geo...@bellsowth.net> verbositized:

>Can someone tell me what white gas is being put off when I mix oxiclean
>(powder) and Clorox bleach (liquid) in my washing machine?

Here ya go, straight from the Oxi-Clean web site.

Can I use it with Chlorine Bleach?

No! Oxi Clean is a bleach alternative and works by itself. Do not mix
it with bleach as they will neutralize each other and can create
dangerous gases and heat. If mixed in a poorly ventilated room,
breathing the fumes created by this mixture can be fatal.

It's akin to mixing Ammonia and Bleach!

I wonder how many folks know that in Chlorine Bleach, the chlorine gas
is held in suspension in a solution of LYE.

TTUL
Gary

Phisherman

Jul 31, 2004, 11:05:56 AM7/31/04
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:39:59 -0500, George <geo...@bellsowth.net>
wrote:

>Can someone tell me what white gas is being put off when I mix oxiclean
>(powder) and Clorox bleach (liquid) in my washing machine?

You are probably seeing steam. Mixing OxiClean (or other oxygen
cleaner) and household bleach is not recommended. Read the label.

Lloyd Randall

Jul 31, 2004, 12:58:38 PM7/31/04
In article <410b912b....@news.galilei.com>,

ra...@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

> George <geo...@bellsowth.net> verbositized:
>
> >Can someone tell me what white gas is being put off when I mix oxiclean
> >(powder) and Clorox bleach (liquid) in my washing machine?
>
> Here ya go, straight from the Oxi-Clean web site.
>
> Can I use it with Chlorine Bleach?
>
> No! Oxi Clean is a bleach alternative and works by itself. Do not mix
> it with bleach as they will neutralize each other and can create
> dangerous gases and heat. If mixed in a poorly ventilated room,
> breathing the fumes created by this mixture can be fatal.
>

> It's akin to mixing Ammonia and Bleach!

Ammonia seems to be unique in being an alkaline that reacts dangerously
with chlorine bleach.

Oxiclean is a peroxide bleach. It makes oxygen atoms available from
H2O2. Chlorine bleach is solt with oxygen. It works by combining with
water to produce a little lye and HOCl. HOCl bleaches by making oxygen
atoms available. If H2O2 and NaOCl are present in wash water, you end
up with NaCl and H2O and O2. O2 is what you breathe. It's not a good
bleach.

The website may be crying wolf about fumes that are harmful to breathe.
If you mixed them in concentrated form, maybe the heat and oxygen could
cause a plastic container to produce a harmful gas.

> I wonder how many folks know that in Chlorine Bleach, the chlorine gas
> is held in suspension in a solution of LYE.

It used to be made with lye. I think now they use salt water or some
other material. The bleach itself is caustic and produces some lye.

--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

soundhe...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2020, 5:49:38 PM1/3/20
On Friday, July 30, 2004 at 6:39:59 PM UTC-4, George wrote:
> Can someone tell me what white gas is being put off when I mix oxiclean
> (powder) and Clorox bleach (liquid) in my washing machine?

I Liked what Lloyd Randal said because the question has a since of chemistry question in it. Let me tell you all that i personally had the same question right after I recovered from an accident with regular Clorox and OxiClean!! It WASN'T MUCH and I never smelt any new smells, but i saw the cloud and cream. I suddenly felt a little sick and a very slight shock in my vascular system and sweat pores, a sign that something changed in a dangerous way. I immediately walked calmly outside. As I did, my vessels swelled and head pressurized and my heart started ramping up with speed and power and i got hot. I began to make emergency plans because I new if it continued to increase, I would probably pass out. Luckly it subsided before that. Just think about what would have happened if i seen the cloud and cream even a 10 seconds later? Maybe Id never made it outside and died. It DIDNT feel good eather.