Borax -vs- Sodium Percarbonate?

Gas Bag

Oct 19, 2010, 8:32:17 AM10/19/10
If you're looking for a laundry powder additive with antifungal and
antibacterial properties, how does Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
compare to products containing sodium percarbonate?

GregS

Oct 19, 2010, 10:11:51 AM10/19/10

I think the later would be better.

I would bet on Clorox.
Certain powders may have better long lasting effect, but
it might irritate.

greg

Salmon Egg

Oct 19, 2010, 10:50:33 AM10/19/10

I do not have answers. But I do have questions.

As I read about this chemical, I think potassium percarbonate may be
useful for hydroponics. It seems like it could be useful for sterilizing
growing media and containers. At the same time, instead of contaminating
the containers with sodium, it could provide potassium as a plant
nutrient.

Does anyone have comments on this.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

Nestor Kelebay

Oct 19, 2010, 12:18:46 PM10/19/10
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/Borax-vs-Sodium-Percarbonate-10832-.htm
Nestor Kelebay wrote:

Gas Bag:

So far as antifungal properties goes, I'd put my money on Borax (which is
not a carbonate at all). Borax is a sodium/boron/H2O compound that, like
gypsum or lime, takes on various crystalline structures depending on the
amount of water bound up inside of it. It is the Boron itself that is
effective as an antifungal agent. This is why borates are commonly used
as wood preservatives in the form of "Impel" or "Cobra" rods and the
assortment of "Borocol" liquid based wood preservatives. Borate based
Impel rods are commonly used in log homes to protect the logs from wood
rot because of the very high solubility of borates in water. It is this
high water solubility that allows borate based wood preservatives to
permeate the entire log by diffusing through the moisture within the log.
Even though it is only a small number of fungii that feed on wood, borates
are effective against a wide variety of fungii, including the wood rot
fungii. But, they are of almost no health concern to mammals, and borate
based products are even allowed as food additives in some European
countries.

So far as an antibacterial agent is concerned, I'd opt for bleach there.
Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, or NaOCl. It's actually made from sea
water, and is unstable enough that it gradually decomposes back into sea
water, even when it's being stored in the jug. Thus, bleach gradually
decomposes and gets weaker. In so doing, it releases lone Oxygen atoms,
and it's these oxygen atoms that do all the work. They are highly
reactive, and react with organic molecules that are generally less stable
than inorganic molecules. It is through the same process of decompostion
to form more stable compounds that ozone (O3) and hydrogen peroxide (HOOH)
also have a "bleaching" action on colored fabrics, organic smells and hair
colour. Since the released lone Oxygen atoms react with organic
molecules, bleach is very effective at killing bacteria, viruses, molds
and fungii, and breaking up organic molecules into smaller pieces thereby
removing the colour and smell they produce.

I don't know anything about the sodium percarbonate you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------
..in solidarity with the movement for change in Iran.

Bill Penrose

Oct 19, 2010, 3:27:38 PM10/19/10

Where we live, our towels tend to stink after a couple of days in the
laundry hamper in summer, and it doesn't go away with washing. About
every two months, we add about 1/4 cup bleach to the wash water. Mix
in a bucket first. It's too little to harm the colors, but knocks out
the fungi that cause the smell. The towels will then go several
washings before fungi build up again.

DB

Mrs Bonk

Oct 19, 2010, 7:15:03 PM10/19/10
Nestor Kelebay wrote:

> I don't know anything about the sodium percarbonate you mentioned.

I use sodium percarbonate to bleach - it's especially good for nappies,
soaked overnight in a bucket they come up fresh, clean and white plus it's
not too harsh on the material.

Gas Bag

Oct 20, 2010, 3:16:04 AM10/20/10
It's probably best I rephrase my original post.
If I'm looking for a strictly non-bleaching laundry additive that has
strong antifungal and antibacterial properties, which is the better of
the following?

Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
or
Products containing sodium percarbonate?

I know bleach is the best, but I'm looking for something that can be
used with various coloured fabrics.

Mrs Bonk

Oct 20, 2010, 12:00:50 PM10/20/10

I am not really with you on this one dear, Sodium percarbonate IS a bleach,
an oxygen one and it is safe to use on coloureds or at least, safer than
chlorine type bleach.
I have an antibacterial wash on my machine, I use it once a month.

Martin Brown

Oct 20, 2010, 3:11:20 PM10/20/10
On 20/10/2010 08:16, Gas Bag wrote:
> It's probably best I rephrase my original post.
> If I'm looking for a strictly non-bleaching laundry additive that has
> strong antifungal and antibacterial properties, which is the better of
> the following?
>
> Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
> or
> Products containing sodium percarbonate?

How about we start again and you describe the problem that you are
actually trying to solve?

> I know bleach is the best, but I'm looking for something that can be
> used with various coloured fabrics.

Peroxide generators are just another form of non-chlorine bleach.
Slightly less inclined to destroy fabrics but colours might or might not
survive unscathed.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Gas Bag

Oct 20, 2010, 8:04:39 PM10/20/10
I'm looking to add a laundry additive to my laundry washing load that
has the most powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties
available. I won't be washing just white fabrics (but a range of
colours), so a non-chlorine, non-whitening additive is what's needed.
I have used products containing sodium percarbonate, but have not
tried Borax (sodium borate decahydrate). This is why I want to find
out how they compare. The main point is I am trying to find out what
specific chemical compounds are most effective, rather than off-the-
shelf products, because I'm quite likely going to buy the active
ingredients themselves (as this is much much more cost effective -
this is a priority).

As an aside, I'v found that most laundry washing powders/detergents
all "generally" do a good job at cleaning and removing stains.....but
killing bacteria, and particularly fungus, is another matter
entirely. Yes, I do hang all my clothes inside-out, and in the sun.

Martin Brown

Oct 21, 2010, 3:08:10 AM10/21/10
On 21/10/2010 01:04, Gas Bag wrote:
> I'm looking to add a laundry additive to my laundry washing load that
> has the most powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties
> available.

You will almost certainly not be able to buy pure chemicals of this type
unless you are a registered business and if you could it would present
handling difficulties at home.

> As an aside, I'v found that most laundry washing powders/detergents
> all "generally" do a good job at cleaning and removing stains.....but
> killing bacteria, and particularly fungus, is another matter
> entirely. Yes, I do hang all my clothes inside-out, and in the sun.

What on earth are you doing wrong that fungus is such a problem?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Bonnie Jean

Oct 21, 2010, 5:12:58 PM10/21/10

"Gas Bag" <shaz...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

What about just using the hot water setting...for items where shrinkage is
not an issue?

J Burns

Oct 21, 2010, 10:02:12 PM10/21/10
On 10/19/10 12:18 PM, Nestor Kelebay wrote:
> responding to
> http://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/Borax-vs-Sodium-Percarbonate-10832-.htm
> Nestor Kelebay wrote:
>
> Gas Bag:
>
> So far as antifungal properties goes, I'd put my money on Borax (which is
> not a carbonate at all). Borax is a sodium/boron/H2O compound that, like
> gypsum or lime, takes on various crystalline structures depending on the
> amount of water bound up inside of it. It is the Boron itself that is
> effective as an antifungal agent.

[...]

Borax is fungistatic and bateriostatic. I don't know if it kills them,
but it keeps them from growing. At room temperature, one or two
teaspoons of borax can be dissolved in a quart of water. If I use it to
wash a surface with mildew and don't rinse it, the mildew won't return.

If I had fabric that I wanted to protect from fungi or bacteria, I'd
wash it, then dip it in a bucket with borax and water before spinning
and drying. Miners don't seem to have problems from exposure to borax,
so I don't think a trace of it in fabric would caused skin irritation.

> So far as an antibacterial agent is concerned, I'd opt for bleach there.
> Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, or NaOCl.

[...]

> I don't know anything about the sodium percarbonate you mentioned.

Sodium percarbonate is a powder containing sodium carbonate and hydrogen
peroxide. Oxiclean is a brand name. I can get it much more cheaply in
a store brand labeled something like "oxygen bleach" or "color-safe
bleach." The cheaper stuff contains additives to help it work better at
room temperature.

Bleach can kill spores. That would eliminate growth that originates in
the fabric but wouldn't keep the fabric from being infected.

OldNick

May 4, 2019, 6:44:05 AM5/4/19
replying to Martin Brown, OldNick wrote:
> You will almost certainly not be able to buy pure chemicals of this type
unless you are a registered business and if you could it would present handling
difficulties at home.
Rubbish! You can buy Sodium Percarbonate from brewing suppliers. You can buy
Borax from your supermarket.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/borax-vs-sodium-percarbonate-10832-.htm

Back in Black

Oct 6, 2019, 11:14:03 AM10/6/19
replying to Martin Brown, Back in Black wrote:
You most certainly can but both Sodium Precarbonate and Borax from sprouts or
Whole Foods. And this aside telling the original poster that they cannot do
what they most certainly can, doesn’t answer the question at hand.

Back in Black

Oct 6, 2019, 11:19:05 AM10/6/19
replying to Gas Bag, Back in Black wrote:
To do what you’re asking, I use 1/3 washing soda(sodium carbonate) and 2/3
sodium precarbonate. I was cautioned that this could bleach my clothes, and in
small instances, I’ve noticed the clothes fade a bit. In heavily colored
clothes I might change the ratio to less precarbonate and more carbonate. This
makes clothes come out of the wash smelling clean and most stains just don’t
stand a chance. (I use heavy precarbonate on white items)
This has very rarely not worked, but, I’m wondering about adding Botax to
this mixture. Anyway, I say use a bit of both, and let the sodium precarbonate
so it’s hydrogen peroxide magic and the washing soda soften the water to
help the precarbonate work more effectively.