how do I clean urine stain on underside of plastic toilet seat?

pfb123

Apr 19, 2007, 10:53:42 AM4/19/07
I have plastic toilet seats. There is a yellow urine stain on the
underside of the toilet seat from backsplash. I can't remove it! I've tried
cleaner with bleach and that takes care of most of it, but not All of it.
I would love to take a scrub brush to it, but don't know what is safe to
use on the plastic. If I use a regular hand held scrub brush, do I have to
keep it for just this use exclusively?
And once I get the stain removed, how often am I supposed to clean the
toilet seat to keep it from coming back?

whit3rd

May 1, 2007, 4:02:43 PM5/1/07
On Apr 19, 7:53 am, "pfb123" <u33485@uwe> wrote:
> I have plastic toilet seats. There is a yellow urine stain on the
> underside of the toilet seat from backsplash. I can't remove it!

It doesn't come off with water, needs some chemical attack.
I've used mild lye solution. First, spray water on the area.
Apply lye solution (1/4 tsp of lye into a cup of water) with a brush,
wait a few minutes, rinse (water spray again) and mop dry.
Rinse out your cloth and the brush, or lye will attack it. And
use gloves, of course.

I don't know what the stuff is, but the lye treatment seems to only
be necessary a couple of times a year (soapy water is the usual
cleaning medium). My seats are painted, so the paint will soften
if I overdo the lye (but plastic is not affected).

kar...@webtv.net

May 10, 2007, 12:01:08 AM5/10/07
>I have plastic toilet seats. There is a
>yellow urine stain on the underside of the
>toilet seat from backsplash. I can't
>remove it!

Ick. Why not just buy new seats? For the cost of what hasn't worked so
far, you could probably replace the seats.

asp...@adelphia.net

May 23, 2007, 7:43:04 PM5/23/07

With wooden ones.

bogr...@googlemail.com

Jun 17, 2007, 5:19:31 AM6/17/07
On May 24, 12:43 am, aspa...@adelphia.net wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007 00:01:08 -0400, kara...@webtv.net wrote:
> >>I have plastic toilet seats. There is a
> >>yellow urine stain on the underside of the
> >>toilet seat from backsplash. I can't
> >>remove it!
>
> >Ick. Why not just buy new seats? For the cost of what hasn't worked so
> >far, you could probably replace the seats.
>
> With wooden ones.

You could try white vinegar to clean it. Put it on neat with a cloth
and leave it, then wash off with hottish water. You should clean your
toilet and seat daily to keep it clean!!!

Donna in Texas

Jul 4, 2007, 9:35:09 AM7/4/07
You can go to a discount store and buy a new toilet seat for about $20-$30.
I really do recommend a good quality thick hard plastic---not padded plastic
or the flimsy ones hotels use. I favored wood forever, until I had to buy
plastic one time, and I really wouldn't go back to wood. The plastic cleans
more easily. The cleaning process eventually causes the underside of a
wooden seat to deteriorate, and at that point the wood becomes more porous
and harder to clean.

I raised two sons, so I could probably be paid as an expert witness. :-)

Warmest Regards,

Donna

robson...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 4:47:37 AM4/19/14
I tried all the recomendations on this web site and used the good old Brillo pad and it removed all stains.u

Home Guy

May 17, 2014, 10:25:42 AM5/17/14
robson...@gmail.com wrote:

> I tried all the recomendations on this web site and used the good
> old Brillo pad and it removed all stains.u

I know the post is a month old, but...

Try muriatic acid (also known as HCl). Big-box stores typically sell it
in 1 gallon plastic jugs, usually as a pool supply. It's strong stuff,
but it has a lot of uses. Can remove soap and water calcification on
ceramic bathtubs and sinks and stainless steel sinks very easily. I use
it full strength (take a paper towel, hold it against the open mouth of
the jug and invert the jug a few times, then wipe the surface with the
wet paper towel). Will give off some strong fumes, will sting any open
cuts on your hands or finger tips but other than that it's harmless.
Just rinse with water.

Removes rust very quickly - I soak a lot of rusted screws and stuff in a
mix of hot water and muriatic acid. It's about the only thing that can
remove dried cat pee stains from a variety of surfaces (plastic,
laminates, etc).

bana1...@googlemail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 8:13:39 AM2/10/15
Hi
I had the same problem, believe me like you I tried everything. The solution is in our kitchen cupboards not expensive products. All you will need is white vinger & bicarbonated soda. Take 3 table spoons of bicarbonated soda & mix it with the vinger, until you get a thick paste. The vinger mixture will fizz but its 100% safe. Using a toothbrush rub in to the stain, a little elbow greece is needed but with in minutes you will see visual results. Leave paste on for 5-10 minutes and wipe clean. Amazing results before your eyes. Ive just tried the above and I can proudly put my seat up :) Give it a go n let me know, once a month should be great no more stains.

bana1...@googlemail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 8:16:25 AM2/10/15
Hey
use bicarbonate sodda n white vinger. Make in to a thick paste and apply with tooth brush to seat. Rub in and be amazed.
Leave 5 mins or a bit longer snd clean off. White n as new!

sally....@hotmail.co.uk

Mar 10, 2015, 8:57:47 AM3/10/15
What I found to get rid of the urine stains under the seat is to gently clean the area with wire wool. I got mine from Lidl (Aquapur)
as it's not too abrasive and it did the trick very well. Happy scrubbing gently gently remember.

RAIN

Apr 12, 2015, 10:44:02 AM4/12/15
replying to pfb123, RAIN wrote:
Go to family dollar and get MEAN GREEN It works wonders on just about
anything

Eureka

Jun 26, 2015, 11:44:02 PM6/26/15
replying to whit3rd, Eureka wrote:
> whit3rd wrote:
>
> It doesn't come off with water, needs some chemical attack.
> I've used mild lye solution. First, spray water on the area.
> Apply lye solution (1/4 tsp of lye into a cup of water) with a brush,
> wait a few minutes, rinse (water spray again) and mop dry.
> Rinse out your cloth and the brush, or lye will attack it. And
> use gloves, of course.
> I don't know what the stuff is, but the lye treatment seems to only
> be necessary a couple of times a year (soapy water is the usual
> cleaning medium). My seats are painted, so the paint will soften
> if I overdo the lye (but plastic is not affected).

Hi, I took the seat off and soaked it in a large tub of hot water and very
concentrated vanish napisan oxi action. It's enzyme not bleach based
powder. Guess what? Sparkly white seat. Can't believe it. If you saw how
filthy it was, it's quite remarkable. No scrubbing, spraying, and the
whole seat gets the whole clean at same time. Nice.

Bella

Jul 1, 2015, 9:44:02 PM7/1/15
replying to Eureka, Bella wrote:
> Eureka wrote:
>
> Hi, I took the seat off and soaked it in a large tub of hot water and very
> concentrated vanish napisan oxi action. It's enzyme not bleach based
powder.
> Guess what? Sparkly white seat. Can't believe it. If you saw how filthy it
was,
> it's quite remarkable. No scrubbing, spraying, and the whole seat gets the
whole
> clean at same time. Nice.

Thank you so much. I thought I had tried everything but obviously not as
this worked. I don't know how to take the toilet seat off this one as it
is different to our old one, so I put the Vanish Napisan into a bowl with
hot water and made a sort of runny paste wiped it on with a damp cloth and
let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then got a scourer and scrubbed. Now
for the first time in a while I have a beautiful clean white seat.

tracy...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2015, 1:58:25 AM9/1/15
Vinegar doesnt work for t seat

jsw9...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2015, 6:04:05 PM11/27/15
My fellow Americans,
There are no little acrobats peeing on the underide of your toilet seat. I assure you, these stubborn stains are not urine. They are rust stains. Water evaporates from the bowl and condenses on the underside of the seat. The water re-evaporates and leaves behind whatever rust it was carrying. This is not good news. Rust stains are notoriously difficult to get out, explaining why these are so hard to remove. Acid, the stronger the better, does the trick, eventually. You can make a good start with vinegar.

You'll discover that If you leave the seat up, these stains don't appear.

jsw9...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2015, 6:08:07 PM11/27/15
On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 1:58:25 AM UTC-4, tracy...@gmail.com wrote:
> Vinegar doesnt work for t seat

That's just incorrect. Sorry.

michael...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2016, 1:15:36 PM6/7/16
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 11:04:05 PM UTC, jsw9...@gmail.com wrote:
>these stubborn stains are not urine. They are rust stains. Water evaporates from the
> bowl and condenses on the underside of the seat. The water re-evaporates and
> leaves behind whatever rust it was carrying.

I've never read such bollocks in all my life.

Tracy Needle

Jun 22, 2016, 9:44:01 AM6/22/16
replying to robsonsusan2, Tracy Needle wrote:
Brillo pad absolutely genius

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/how-do-i-clean-urine-stain-on-underside-of-plastic-toilet-se-4227-.htm

The know it all

Jul 28, 2016, 12:44:02 PM7/28/16
replying to whit3rd, The know it all wrote:
MR CLEAN scrubby pad werks realy good and or Last Resort option is sandpaper
very fine sandpaper

pepsicola

Feb 5, 2017, 10:44:04 AM2/5/17
replying to bana197878, pepsicola wrote:
worked a treat although just used the vinegar i had in my cupboard

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/how-do-i-clean-urine-stain-on-underside-of-plastic-toilet-se-4227-.htm

Belinda

Feb 10, 2017, 2:14:02 PM2/10/17
replying to whit3rd, Belinda wrote:
This worked fantasticly! I have discarded toilet seats because of this! I
happened to have some food grade lye on hand and used that. Thanks for the tip.

Sophia Hoyte

Feb 17, 2017, 2:44:03 PM2/17/17
replying to RAIN, Sophia Hoyte wrote:
I got indelible nicotine stains on mine I spray painted it silver to match the
chrome in the bathroom.

HarcX

Apr 2, 2017, 10:14:02 AM4/2/17
replying to Donna in Texas, HarcX wrote:
Donna,
Look at the question, the need is to remove the urine stains NOT to buy a new
seat. I'll be very brave and hazard a guess the idea of buying a new seat has
actually crossed the mind.

anthony.h...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 3:03:24 PM4/23/17
Peroxide

dieuwka tsesmetzis

Apr 30, 2017, 1:14:04 PM4/30/17
replying to bana197878, dieuwka tsesmetzis wrote:
Thanks very much for your advice,toilet seat was clean in minutes!

Helen

May 1, 2017, 1:44:03 PM5/1/17
replying to pfb123, Helen wrote:
Hi, just use a rough scourer pad and regular bathroom cleaner or bleach, comes
off in seconds.

mommydore

May 3, 2017, 9:14:03 PM5/3/17
replying to robsonsusan2, mommydore wrote:
Worked like magic!

BCS

Aug 10, 2017, 11:14:03 AM8/10/17
replying to pfb123, BCS wrote:
What about cleaning attached plastic riser seats for toilets. They are made
from a different material than a regular toilet seat, much more porous. Also
is there something that can be applied that will protect them from getting the
stains in the first place, such as a wax.

azv...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2017, 6:28:13 PM8/27/17
It's piss!

Joann Myers

Feb 18, 2018, 1:14:04 AM2/18/18
replying to pfb123, Joann Myers wrote:
I take medication that causes my urine to turn bright yellow and stained my
toilet seat bad. Tried bleach, vinegar, scrubbing pad, scrubbing powder.
Nothing worked. Found a product Krud Kutter Concentrated Cleaner Degreaser
Stain Remover. White spray bottle with red label. Cost about $12.00. Buy at
any hardware store. Hopes this help and didn't damage seat and turned it
white again. Bio degradable and non toxic.

fltreasurec...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2018, 2:44:24 PM8/19/18
Take and old tooth brush and some tooth paste as a cleaner/abrasion tool. Gets crevaces and is hot harm on plastic. Old wood workers used it to remove water marks on furniture

Cal

Aug 27, 2018, 4:44:28 PM8/27/18
replying to kara849, Cal wrote:
At £25 + for sa new seat I’d rather try cleaning it first (ick!)

Rosey

Apr 25, 2019, 11:14:03 PM4/25/19
replying to HarcX, Rosey wrote:
I have the same problem. I would replace it but my toilet seat costs $250. It
is a curved seat that is a special order. I will try vinegar and baking soda
before I buy a new seat

susieqf...@gmail.com

May 23, 2019, 6:32:46 AM5/23/19
Whitening toothpaste gets rid 🖒

MyUserName2019

Jun 27, 2019, 8:14:03 AM6/27/19
replying to Tracy Needle, MyUserName2019 wrote:
Worked here but a lot of elbow grease.

Ade Naranjo

Aug 19, 2019, 4:44:02 PM8/19/19
replying to pfb123, Ade Naranjo wrote: