weird laundry problem (smell)

dejablues

Jul 13, 2007, 9:07:16 PM7/13/07
This is a weird vexing problem and I just want to see if anyone has any
input.

Some items come out of my wash with a weird, unpleasant metallic odor. At
first it was a couple of towels, now it's some shirts and a pair of my sons
jeans. The best way to describe it is if you've ever been in a machine shop,
where they machine metal and use oil or grease to lubricate it, just a weird
burnt metal odor.

I do a lot of laundry, and I can do a whole load and have just one or two
items come out with this weird odor. It persists through drying, and is
there even when the items are hung outside or fabric softener is used. I've
tried every kind of detergent.
I've had to throw a few towels away, but now the jeans are affected and I'm
loathe to throw away a 40-dollar pair of jeans before trying to get this
smell out!

Some information, that may or may not be relevant:

We have very hard well water, but have lived here for 20 years, and this
problem is recent.

We have a full-size washer and dryer downstairs, and an apartment size set
upstairs. It occurs in both places.

My husband is an auto mechanic by trade, but worked in a bronze foundry for
a few years, leaving in 8/2006. This problem started 6 months or so ago. I
never washed his stuff with anyone elses.

I usually wash things in hot water, because the hard water makes it hard to
get things clean if they are washed in cold water. We drink the water right
from the tap, and it tastes fine.

I'd appreciate any feedback, because this is driving me nuts!

Michael A. Ball

Jul 13, 2007, 10:30:02 PM7/13/07
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:07:16 GMT, "dejablues" <deja....@gmail.com>
wrote:

>This is a weird vexing problem and I just want to see if anyone has any
>input.
>

>Some items come out of my wash with a weird, unpleasant metallic odor...

How long has this been happening? Any plumbing upgrades or repairs
precede this problem?

It is not the washers, or specific detergent [maybe detergent type?].

Are cotton fabrics more susceptible, as it seems?

It almost has to be the water. I note you have hard water. Do you happen
to know which minerals are causing the hardness? Do you happen to know
the pH of your water? My best guess would be that one or more minerals
in your water are attracted to cotton fibers, which are hollow. If you
could soften the water, perhaps with baking soda, it might help you make
a determination. Otherwise, a water analysis might help.

Do any of your neighbors, who have the same water source, have this
problem?

________________________
Whatever it takes.

deja.blues

Jul 13, 2007, 11:18:05 PM7/13/07

"Michael A. Ball" <Guar...@wireco.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:07:16 GMT, "dejablues" <deja....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>This is a weird vexing problem and I just want to see if anyone has any
>>input.
>>
>>Some items come out of my wash with a weird, unpleasant metallic odor...
>
> How long has this been happening? Any plumbing upgrades or repairs
> precede this problem?
>
> It is not the washers, or specific detergent [maybe detergent type?].
>
> Are cotton fabrics more susceptible, as it seems?

I tried to address this in my original post. We've lived here for 20 years,
have a full-size washer/dryer downstairs, an apartment size set upstairs,
this problem started earlier this year. No plumbing changes. Many different
detergents tried.
I also notice my dishwasher doesn't do a good job of cleaning dishes unless
I add rinse agent.a

We use mostly cotton fabrics, I'd say less than 2% of what I wash is a blend
or non-cotton. I don't know the exact chemical content of my water. A water
analysis would be a good thing, I know. How would I go about getting one?
I'm pretty sure my neighbors are hooked up to city water, and we're the only
ones still with a well. The water tastes good and is fine for cooking. I
like my well water!

Why would only some of my laundered articles come out smelly?

Phisherman

Jul 14, 2007, 7:54:59 AM7/14/07
wrote:

>This is a weird vexing problem and I just want to see if anyone has any

Carefully inspect your washer for rust--you may need to take-apart
some parts. I keep the washer lid in the upright position after use
to allow it to dry, helps prevent rust/mildew. If the smell was due
to something left in a pocket, etc, do a "rag" wash using extra
detergent (if you have TSP use that), a half box of baking soda and
hot water. Finally, a cup of white vinegar in the water-softener
rinse will remove most odors.

Michael A. Ball

Jul 15, 2007, 7:14:27 PM7/15/07
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:18:05 GMT, "deja.blues" <deja....@gmail.com>
wrote:

>...I also notice my dishwasher doesn't do a good job of cleaning dishes unless
>I add rinse agent.

I'd chalk that up (no pun intended) to hard water, but a different set
of minerals might be causing the odor problem. Over 20 years, the
aquifer supplying your well could have become infiltrated, by many
unsavory substances.

>... A water

>analysis would be a good thing, I know. How would I go about getting one? I

>like my well water!

Ask your local health department where/how to have your water tested.
Your local Culagen dealer will gladly analyze your water. LOL But it
might not be totally objective.

>Why would only some of my laundered articles come out smelly?

"I tried to address this in my original post."

I do not know, but here are some possibilities:

Cotton fibers that have been grown, processed, milled, treated, dyed,
coated, preserved differently; with chemicals of various pH, molecular
weight, ionic charge and so forth.

Factor in all of these variables and you'll see there are many reasons
why *only* some of your laundry develops problems.

Don't be surprised, if analysis shows you need to process your well
water: softening, ion targeting, reverse osmosis, filtering. That public
water supply might begin to seem more acceptable after all.

_______________________
Always keep your words soft and sweet,
just in case you have to eat them.

Enumerator

Jul 15, 2007, 9:22:49 PM7/15/07

Maybe you could get somebody from outside the household to see if they
agree with you about which clothes smell, how much, and what they smell
like.

Years ago I started getting bits of "putty" in my clothes from a washer
that had been in use more than ten years. I was afraid the transmission
was leaking. I took the machine apart to see the inside of the tub,
outside the basket. The stuff had accumulated at the waterline. I
removed what I could and had no trouble after that.

Whatever the source, the transmission wasn't leaking. Apparently it
came from a combination of soil in the clothes, detergent, and microbes.
Maybe oil from fixing cars has contributed to your buildup.

One approach would be to fill it with hot water, stop it, add more hot
water with a bucket, add 3 cups of bleach and 3 cups of baking soda, let
it run a few minutes, let it sit a few hours, and let it complete the
wash cycle.

Sometimes trash gets into the sump and keeps a washer from draining
completely. Once in a while, the end of the drain tube will be
underwater in the drain pipe, and it will siphon smelly water into the
washer.

If you take a washer apart, it pays to make sure the electrical circuits
are dry before you plug it back in.

Bonnie Peebles

Jul 31, 2007, 10:43:30 PM7/31/07
wrote:

>This is a weird vexing problem and I just want to see if anyone has any
>input.

I also have a problem with odors and was wondering if anyone could
help me. My Significant Other does martial arts. His clothes get
soaked with sweat and I wash them as soon as possible.
The problem is that even though they look and smell clean and fresh
after washing, as soon as they get wet (from sweat) they get an
unpleasant soured smell. If I wash them in bleach this doesn't
happen. But I can't wash his colored clothes in bleach or they fade
and they peroxide type of "color safe bleach" didn't help ( I used
Kroger brand.)

Suggestions?

Thanks
Bonnie

Phisherman

Aug 1, 2007, 7:58:44 AM8/1/07

You can't expect clothes to smell clean after a workout. Use vinegar
in the rinse water, possibly add a half cup of baking soda in the
wash.

Donna

Aug 1, 2007, 4:37:48 PM8/1/07
Using 100% cotton workout clothes might help, as synthetics tend to hold
onto odor more than cotton. Not mostly cotton--100%.

Donna

ilaboo

Dec 5, 2007, 11:07:43 PM12/5/07
sounds like a metal seal is loose--is it a top or side machine?

"dejablues" <deja....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Texas Gen

Dec 6, 2007, 11:00:57 AM12/6/07
Re: metallic smell in laundry:

>> I do a lot of laundry, and I can do a whole load and have just one or two
>> items come out with this weird odor.

Not this would help with your problem, but I just wonder if it's cotton or
synthetic items that are holding odor---or is it both?

Donna

Billy

Oct 6, 2018, 7:44:02 PM10/6/18
replying to dejablues, Billy wrote:
i know this is a super old thread, but i have the same problem and have had it
after moving from one state to another, different washer, different house,
moved from soft water to hard water. i blame it on aluminum in my deodorant,
but am testing that theory

did you find an answer/solution?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/weird-laundry-problem-smell-4568-.htm

Megmc

Mar 28, 2019, 12:44:04 PM3/28/19
replying to Michael A. Ball, Megmc wrote:
Here’s a weird question...could it be blood?

BrandCage

Nov 2, 2021, 10:45:24 AM11/2/21
I have the same problem but I think it has to do with my sweat . Even my room starting to smell weird and I can’t get the metallic smell out of my bed sheets etc . Other family meme bets don’t have the same problem with their clothes .

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/weird-laundry-problem-smell-4568-.htm

md109

Jul 14, 2022, 11:45:04 AM7/14/22
I have the same exact issue! But I’m not sure if it’s me because not all of the clothes I wear smell like this and my body doesn’t smell like metal.