Can bleach be mixed with washing soda?

casioc...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2006, 10:31:27 PM3/19/06

I have some black mold spots on a wall that i want to clean before i
paint it. Is washing soda alone, in high concentration, effective as a
mold killer? Is it more effective to use chlorine based bleach? what
about something like oxiclean, would that kill it?

Can I mix washing soda and bleach?

Thanks

Phisherman

Mar 20, 2006, 8:31:40 AM3/20/06

Use 1 T. dishwashing liquid, 1/2 c. household bleach and add warm
water to make 1 gallon. Use this to spot clean off the mold spots.
Then clean the entire wall (from bottom to top) with a mild soap
solution and warm water. If your walls are really dirty use TSP.
Clean the entire wall, then rinse the entire wall with clear water,
and rinse again. Rinsing is an important step for the paint
preparation. You will need to protect the floor/carpeting, plus turn
off the electrical outlets.

I do not recommend washing soda nor Oxiclean. But to answer your
question, it is safe to mix washing soda and household bleach.

Sawney Beane

Mar 20, 2006, 6:13:41 PM3/20/06
Phisherman wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2006 19:31:27 -0800, casioc...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >I have some black mold spots on a wall that i want to clean before i
> >paint it. Is washing soda alone, in high concentration, effective as a
> >mold killer? Is it more effective to use chlorine based bleach? what
> >about something like oxiclean, would that kill it?
> >
> >Can I mix washing soda and bleach?
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Use 1 T. dishwashing liquid, 1/2 c. household bleach and add warm
> water to make 1 gallon. Use this to spot clean off the mold spots.
> Then clean the entire wall (from bottom to top) with a mild soap
> solution and warm water. If your walls are really dirty use TSP.
> Clean the entire wall, then rinse the entire wall with clear water,
> and rinse again. Rinsing is an important step for the paint
> preparation. You will need to protect the floor/carpeting, plus turn
> off the electrical outlets.

Lowes recommends bleach and dishwashing liquid for outdoor decks,
but the MSDS for Dawn says it's unsafe:

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety/MSDS/DAWN%20LIQUID%20DISHWASHING%20DETERGENT--PROCTER%20&%20GAMBLE%20--.htm

I used to use bleach and dishwashing liquid for two tricky
dishwashing chores: 2-liter soda bottles and ziplock freezer bags.
Both can be useful if you can get them clean. I needed rubber
gloves to wash the bags that way, and they never felt clean. I let
the bottles of mixture stand a long time and did a lot of shaking,
trying to get them clean. It was hard to get the suds and bleach
smell rinsed out.

Then I read that the State of California had paid for testing
bleach and baking soda. It worked for me. It was easy on my hands
and cleaned ziplock bags better than anything else. Bottles came
clean quickly with no lingering suds or odor.

It also works on stained surfaces. I don't recall using bleach and
baking soda outside the kitchen and bathroom because I've had good
luck with borax or borax and ammonia on mildewed paint. Now that
casioculture has mentioned washing soda and bleach, I think I'll
try baking soda and bleach the next time I clean mildewed paint.
The latter mixture would have a lower pH, which would make it
easier on the hands and help the bleach work faster.

Message has been deleted

Sawney Beane

Mar 21, 2006, 12:25:06 PM3/21/06
Dawn wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:13:41 -0500, Sawney Beane
> <bead...@qwickconnect.net> wrote:
>
> >I used to use bleach and dishwashing liquid for two tricky
> >dishwashing chores: 2-liter soda bottles and ziplock freezer bags.
> >Both can be useful if you can get them clean. I needed rubber
> >gloves to wash the bags that way, and they never felt clean. I let
> >the bottles of mixture stand a long time and did a lot of shaking,
> >trying to get them clean.
> Watch the pressure build up when you mix washing up liquid and bleach
> in a bottle and shake. It can be extremely dangerous.

At the time, I didn't know anybody had ever said it was dangerous,
but I threw a lot of bottles and ziplock bags away because washing
them that way didn't work very well.

> I soak my sink with hot water, washing soda, bleach and washing up
> liquid then bung in any dishcloths or tea towels, scrubbies etc. every
> night.

Do those three substances complement each other?

American bleach is typically 5 or 6% sodium hypochlorite in water.
What's yours?

Are you familiar with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)?

Message has been deleted

Muvin Gruvin

Mar 30, 2006, 10:52:06 AM3/30/06
what do you mean when you say "washing soda" never heard thsi term
before. A couple of product names would be helpful.
Have never heard of a sink cracking....more likely something heavy
dropped in it. Cannot imagine draining boiling water would do such a
thing.

Message has been deleted

ThisIsMyName

Nov 13, 2017, 6:44:03 PM11/13/17
replying to Muvin Gruvin, ThisIsMyName wrote:
I hate to bump an 11 year old thread, but for the sake of google..

Washing soda is sodium carbonate

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/can-bleach-be-mixed-with-washing-soda-2223-.htm

Harper

Mar 28, 2020, 6:14:04 PM3/28/20
replying to Muvin Gruvin, Harper wrote:
Arm & Hammer also makes a soda product labeled as "washing soda." This is
sodium /carbonate/ instead of sodium *bi*carbonate. It's actually more
powerful than baking soda for some things */(though don't use it for
cooking!)/*; I've used it, along with dish soap and borax, to degrease rags,
and even a stove hood fan that hadn't been washed for an Age of Man.

Matthew

May 7, 2023, 12:16:41 PM5/7/23
Washing Soda (sodium carbonate, or "soda ash"), can also be made by heating Sodium Bicarbonate to 400 degrees F for 1 hour, mixing, and heating for another hour at 400 degrees F.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/can-bleach-be-mixed-with-washing-soda-2223-.htm

JSmith

Jan 6, 2024, 7:02:53 PMJan 6
What the hell is "washing up liquid" supposed to be? That is not the name/term for any kind of cleaner. Do you mean "dish soap?"