USS HERACLES: Newell Getting up

The Winbergs

Mar 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/6/96
SD 80306.2006 [GMT]

Ensign Newell jerked into a sitting position sweating and breathing =
heavily.
Another nightmare he thought. He sighed and fell back. Every few months =
he'd get a nightmare. He would be floating, floating in a thick, almost =
liquidy substance. His vision was blurred and he heard noises, people =
talking. Though he couldn't quit hear what they were saying. He hadn't =
talked to anybody about this but he had found a way to, slow down, =
almost postpone these dreams from happening every few months, to every =
two years. Next year it would occur again on SD 80306, then 90306, and =
on.

He hadn't told anyone about these, but he might have to tell his CO.

He tapped his comm badge as he got up and walked to his closet.=20

"Newell to Lenin", he said

There was a rather long pause, he looked at his clock on the wall, damn =
the Commander must be sleeping.

[This is Lenin, what is it Ensign?]

"Sir", said Newell trying as best he could to sound "normal", "I would =
appreciate it if you..would please come to my quarters for a private =
session".

[Newell? What's going on?]

"And bring the Counsellor too..UH..", said Newell struggling, he felt a =
sharp pain in his stomach.

He went as fast as he could to the replicator. "Computer, I ... I ... I =
need Newell -Recharge suppliment #442", said Newell

[That suppliment is not in the USS Heracles Database]

<<What the hell>> he thought

{Meanwhile}

Lenin jumped out of bed, went to the closet and through on his uniform, =
he left the pips on the table. "Lenin to Kinn", he said rushing out the =
door to aid the new Ensign. There was only a brief pause. [Kinn here, =
something wrong sir?]
"Ensign, Mr Newell just talked to me and said he needed our help, please =
report to his quarters immediatley"

[On my way!]

He tapped his commbadge again "Security, I need a two-man team at Mr =
Newell's location"

He walked into the TurboLift, "Deck 12", the turbolift hummed to life.

As Lenin walked out of the Lift he saw Newell's quarters. He walked =
straight to the door [Unable to allow Entrance, Security Lock #442]. =
<<Lock 442?>> thought Lenin. He tapped his commbadge again and told the =
Sec team they were no longer needed, but that he needed to know what =
Lock #442 meant.

The reply was quick as Ens Kinn came around the corner. "We have a =
problem..", said Lenin

{Newell quarters}

"Computer, access SB Omega's File Database and download all files with =
the extension .CN442"=20

[Download complete]

"Computer, load file .CN442 related files and save them in my hidden 442 =
directory"

[All files loaded and saved]

He fell to the ground, he was deathly-pale.

"Now, delete all record logs of 442 from the SF Database", he said =
struggling, "and load Newell-Recharge suppliment 442".

A small pill appeared on the replicator table. He tried to reach but he =
couldn't...

{Outside}

"Cmdr, I have the code for the lock", came Ens Thomas' voice, "I will =
unlock it from here"

The doors swooshed open and Lenin and Kinn rushed in only to a dead-pale =
Newell.

"Is he...dead?", asked Lenin

Ensign Thomas rushed in, "What's wrong?", he asked

"Ensign go back to your dutystation", said Lenin in a blank tone.

Ensign Kinn didn't reply to Lenin, she was merely staring with awe at =
her tricorder. "He is dead, time of death 20:08, but I am reading =
neuro-activity", she said, "as well, his molecular DNA code is =
disintigrating", she said.

"What?", asked Thomas and Lenin in unison?

"442...", murmured Thomas to himself, "442..", he said it again

"Computer, give me access to the Newell directory, authorization =
Thomas-Alpha 4"

[Access Denied]

"Authorization Thomas-Alpha 7"

[Access Denied]

"Computer, this is the CO, give me access to the Newell directory"

[Access Denied]

"Computer, show me everything we know about Ensign Clifford Newell", =
said Kinn

Suddenly the body of Clifford Newell turned into a gelly like substance =
that floated to around the room. Then he floated to Ensign Thomas, who =
pulled out his phaser. "Put it down!", ordered Lenin. Thomas throught it =
accross the room.

"Ensing Newell", called Kinn

"Ensign!", yelled Kinn

Suddenly the gelly floated to her feet. "Just as I thought", said Kinn. =
"Look", said Thomas pointing to the replicator. <<A pill>> thought Kinn. =
What if..

"Ens Thomas, can you get access to ANY of Mr. Newell's files?", she =
asked, "at what ever cost!", she said again.

"Well...", said Thomas, "Sir, I will need to use an, illegal method of =
hacking the database"

Lenin, paused. "Do it", he said. Mostly out of interest.

Thomas sat at the console in Newell's room. He began to work furiously, =
finally he did it. He found Newell's directory. It was empty. He tapped =
some more buttons until he saw the computer blinking the name of a =
hidden directory.. "CN442". Just as he thought. 442 meant something, =
he'd talk to Newell later.

He got into that directory, about 3 gigabytes of memory stored there.

"Ens Kinn, we have a little problem", said Thomas

"What is it?", asked Kinn

"Well, Mr Newell has around 3 gigabytes of information", he said

She tapped her comm link, "Command Turek, can you please try and sense =
what Mr Newell is fealing?"

[His mind has changed drastically, in shape]

"We know that", said Kinn

[He is.. Dreaming]

"Dreaming.", she said to herself.

"Byron, do a search for dreams, in all files with the word Newell", she =
said

"That would take 2.4 hours", he said

[He is having a nightmare]

"How long would that take?", she asked

"10 minutes"

"Do it"

"Anything else Cmdr?"

[No, he mind is extremely complex]

Suddenly Thomas got up went to the replicator and took out the pill =
"Water, 10 degrees", the cup materialized. He dropped the pill into it, =
and watched it dissolve.

Everyone in the room just watched with blank faces.

"There's something in these pills that keeps Ensign Newell from, turning =
into that", said Thomas, "I think doing this will help him."

He poured the water over the gell. Nothing. "Nothings happening", said =
Lenin.

"Wait.", said Thomas

Nothing.

"I'm sorry Thomas", said Kinn, "I know he was your friend. Cmdr Lenin I =
reccomend destroying this subtance. It is your average acidic/water =
based (NRPG: acid/water base? oh well :]) subtance."

"NO!", yelled Thomas, "WAIT!"

Suddenly the gell began to swish around.. A hand, wide opened appeared =
out of the gell, then a mouth. Then they began to receed. "Computer mix =
substances in Newell-Recharge 442 with water, 10 degrees", said Thomas

He poured it over the gell. Suddenly the from of a body appeared, then =
the face became clearer. It was Newell. He was reforming!

Once he was back, in no clothing (NRPG: Newell has nothing special to =
look at if he's naked. So don't worry, he's Invitro remember. Can't =
reproduce.. unless)

"Thanks Byron", said Newell, "If you don't mind, I'd uh.. Like to get =
dressed. I will be glad to explain everything after."

Everyone left the room in awe, except Thomas who already has read the =
file and hid it again.

--

NRPG: I will finish this in a bit..

Signoff