USS HERACLES: wish I was something real/wish I was something true

Skip to the first unread message

Seth

7 May 1998, 03:00:0007/05/1998

SD 10.0503.2000 [EDT]

<<< This is just before Adam's latest post >>>

"Mom, don't worry!" Nicole pleaded.

"Just be careful. There's a lot more work and danger involved in
your new position. It's one thing to fly ships, its another be in a
command position--" Nicole checked her ETA while her mother blabbed on
about duty and responsibility. Nicole remembered hearing this every
year at the Academy, when she graduated and headed to OTC -- "This is
the real deal, Nicole" -- and again when she was assigned to the USS
XANDER at the helm.

A quiet chirpping sound told the LT it was time to cut off the
chit chat with her mom and get back to flying. "Mom, I've got to go.
Give dad my love." And with that, she cut the transmission. "She
just would've kept rambling." She said to herself. She smiled.

Her fingers flew over the console in front of her. "Oh great!"
She slammed her fist down, "Stupid engineers at OMEGA. Couldn't they
check that these shuttles WORK before they let people fly them?!"

[Warning. Engine failure in 30 seconds.]

She stopped the warp drive and went to impulse. "Computer, relay
a message to Captain Davies on the HERACLES. Notify her I'll be a few
hours late due to engine failure."

The computer made some strange noises and then replied, [Message
sent. ETA to USS HERACLES is 6 hours.]

She shook her head and took the time to replicate some new
uniforms for herself.

<<< After docking with on the HERACLES >>>

"I'll take your bags for you, LT." Offered a young ensign.

"Thank you, Ensign." She was thankful the ensign was a bit older
than she. Some of the younger ones had a tendency to stare at LT
Nicole Rand. She quite a remarkable looking woman. Her wavy brown
hair was cut short and she had a slim figure. She stood at about 5'
10" - people told her it depended on her mood. The angrier, the
taller.

The young ensign nodded and headed off to Rand's quarters. She
decided it would be a good idea to report in to the Captain. She
headed for the bridge.

When she stepped out she saw the Captain immediatley. She was
shorter than most of the crew, including Nicole, but seemed to have an
aura about her that definatley made her seem... authorative. This was
Nicole's first female CO. Captain Black, on the XANDER had been a
great captain and friend, but Nicole looked forward to a female CO.

"Captain, I'm LT Rand."

<<< Adam: Want to take it from here? >>>

[NRPG]

All: It's great to be here! I'm really looking forward to
participating with you all! :)

Adam: I hope that was all right with you(?).

fly on,
Seth Winberg
LT Nicole Rand
OPS/2O, USS HERACLES