A test for A425couple

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 4, 2023, 7:00:13 PM1/4/23
What If Usenet didn't work?

dirty old man.

The Horny Goat

Jan 7, 2023, 1:24:05 AM1/7/23
On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:00:12 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>What If Usenet didn't work?

Given I had been doing discussion forums on both local bulletin board
systems and FIDOnet for 5 years before coming onto the internet (I'm
discussing roughly 1985-90) probably not a whole lot.

FIDOnet still works and is used in some isolated areas but no question
Usenet and the Internet generally has decimated it.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 7, 2023, 2:58:41 PM1/7/23
Wasn't intended as a serious "What If?". A425 contacted me and asked
that I make a test post for them as they are having trouble regaining
their Usenet access. ;)

The Horny Goat

Jan 12, 2023, 4:05:22 AM1/12/23
On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 11:58:41 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 1/6/2023 10:24 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:00:12 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What If Usenet didn't work?
>>
>> Given I had been doing discussion forums on both local bulletin board
>> systems and FIDOnet for 5 years before coming onto the internet (I'm
>> discussing roughly 1985-90) probably not a whole lot.
>>
>> FIDOnet still works and is used in some isolated areas but no question
>> Usenet and the Internet generally has decimated it.
>
>Wasn't intended as a serious "What If?". A425 contacted me and asked
>that I make a test post for them as they are having trouble regaining
>their Usenet access. ;)

I was just excited to see a new posting here alas. While I now spend a
lot of the time I used to spend here on Quora some of the questions
there are MONUMENTALLY stupid and would be a source of incredible
embarassment to any of the old-timers here and I likely would have
given up on them had they not been a wonderful source of historical
photographs (my personal favorites being the 1910 picture of Churchill
and Kaiser Wilhelm II together and the WW2 era photo of Princess
Elizabeth the future Queen in her wartime work clothes. Or two
pictures side by side of 4 year old Prince Charles acting out during a
state occasion and the new prince Georgie - e.g. Charles' grandson -
doing likewise at a state occasion nearly 70 years later)

If it weren't for those photos I'd likely have given up on them - I'm
getting tired of 10th graders who think they're David Tenner or
Russian trolls wondering why NATO attacked them over Ukraine. (Yup in
those words) Or wondering why China was so late to enter WW2.

(All of these are direct quotes and if it weren't for the photos my
head would have imploded by now!)

Graham Truesdale

Jan 15, 2023, 3:40:45 PM1/15/23
If you miss the old times, would you like to comment on my post on medieval France and Germany form last month?

Louis Epstein

Jan 15, 2023, 9:17:20 PM1/15/23
So FIDO is playing dead but can still sit up and fetch?

-=-=-