R.M.S Arlanza !?

Karl Chapman

Feb 23, 2002, 3:32:08 PM2/23/02
Hello

I recently bought a framed set of cards showing various pictures taken of
the Titanic, On the back of the frame are descriptions of what each picture
shows. When describing a card which shows the Titanic being launched from
the Arrol Gantry it refers to the third sister ship being under construction
next to it and the card refers to the ship as being the "Arlanza". Of
course, anyone who has studied the Titanic will know that the third sister
ship was the Britannic. My question is: Does anyone out there know if there
ever was an "Arlanza" built at Harland and Wolff at that time? It couldn't
be a White Star vessel as they all had names ending in "-ic". Hope somebody
can answer this one.

Thanks!

Karl Chapman

Michael DiCola

Feb 23, 2002, 3:58:34 PM2/23/02

From : www.merchantnavyofficers.com/Roymail.html

(Photo /RMS Arlanza)

Built: 1912 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 15, 044g, 9, 122n.
Engines: Triple Screw, Triple Expansion Wings Exhausting into Centre L.P.
Turbine. 17 Knots.
Passengers: 400 First Class, 230 Second Class, 760 Third Class.
Launched on 23rd November 1911, completed September 1912.
The Arlanza was built for the UK- River Plate service, she had nine
watertight compartments, five holds and refrigerated space for the carriage
of meat. She was captured by the German raider Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse on
the 16th August 1914 off the coasts of Brazil but when it was discovered
that she was carrying bona fide passengers of which about 420 were women and
children the Arlanza was allowed to proceed.

In April of 1915 she was converted for use as an armed Merchant Cruiser and
joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron. She suffered mine damage whilst on patrol
in the White Sea on the 22nd of October but was able to reach port safely
under her own steam. She was released from her war duties in April of 1920
and after refurbishment made her first commercial trip to the River Plate at
the end of July. She was converted from coal burning to oil in 1929 and
remained in service until August of 1938 when she made her last trip back to
Southampton. She was scrapped by Hughes, Bolckton & Co, Blyth in the same
year.

JAMES ALEXANDER CARLISLE

Feb 24, 2002, 3:01:05 AM2/24/02
Michael and Karl,

She had ship number 415 and was built for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co.
She was handed over 8th June 1912.

--
All the best

James (Jim) Alexander Carlisle
http://www.nireland.com/uts
Titanic Time, 30th March - 7th April 2002
Bringing Titanic Home
Made in Belfast
Belfast, Birthplace of Titanic

"Michael DiCola" <ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

Mark Baber

Feb 24, 2002, 11:11:19 AM2/24/02
>Launched on 23rd November 1911

And just a week later, on 30 November, Britannic was laid down in the
slipway vacated by Arlanza. Sources: Mills' HMHS Britannic: The Last
Titan; McCaughan's The Birth
of the Titanic; Eaton & Haas' Falling Star.

--
MAB

John M. Feeney

Apr 11, 2002, 6:26:06 AM4/11/02
"Karl Chapman" <k...@chappers90.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Hi, all:

Better late than never, I guess. I stumbled upon this actual photo online
at www.poni-express.com . It comes from the Ulster Folk and Transport
museum, and bears the caption:

"Launch of TITANIC. Starboard stern view of vessel entering water. The
partly constructed hull of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company’s ship
ARLANZA can be seen in No.2 slip, left of TITANIC. Robert J Welch took
the photograph from Victoria Road for Harland & Wolff Ltd on 31st May
1911."

To view, visit http://www.poni-express.com/shop/showdetails.asp?id=425 .
It is just the partly completed shell of Arlanza, barely discernible in the
online image, but what the heck. (Titanic looks OK, and there's lots of
good reductions out there, plus the actual photos for sale, of course.) :-)

Cheers,
John

Dave Tuttle

Apr 11, 2002, 11:59:55 AM4/11/02
On pages 27 and 25 of the Eaton & Haas book (mine is a 1986 First Edition)
you'll also find two photos that reveal the smaller adjacent hull on
launching day.

Dave Tuttle

John M. Feeney <schla...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

John M. Feeney

Apr 13, 2002, 11:53:43 AM4/13/02
"Dave Tuttle" <kb4...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>On pages 27 and 25 of the Eaton & Haas book (mine is a 1986 First Edition)
>you'll also find two photos that reveal the smaller adjacent hull on
>launching day.

Thanks, Dave!

I know there is a larger image of that somewhere online too -- TRMA? (I
kept a copy for my personal files, but didn't know of the Arlanza before.)

Cheers,
John

deathca...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2018, 7:45:41 PM10/30/18
16 years ago damn

Chris K-Man

Jan 20, 2022, 8:05:42 PM1/20/22

White Star's latest super-trio were not Harland & Wolf's only concern.
Between the launches of Olympic and of her later sisters, other jobs
occupied the vacant slipways