Did sharks eat Titanic passengers

medge...@webtv.net

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

Ryan Dutcher

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

No sharks did not eat Titanic passengers. The mangled bodies such as J.J.
Astor was probably caused by the 1st smokestack falling into the water and
striking a number of people in the water. I don't think sharks go that far
north but again I'm not a shark expert.

-Ryan Dutcher
medge...@webtv.net wrote in message
<69lkqc$l62$1...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Ryan Dutcher

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Ryan Dutcher

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Rose Conway

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

The message <69lkqc$l62$1...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>
from medge...@webtv.net contains these words:

> Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
> in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
> ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

Unlikely to have found sharks at that latitude I'd have thought, it
would have been too cold. I read that JJ Astor was covered in soot
and its thought that he was hit by a falling smoke stack.

Rose

Ryan Dutcher

Jocammel

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

The water was at the freezing point. Sharks don't like cold water. They live in
the high rent district of the ocean.

David Stinson

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

In article <19980116085...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, joca...@aol.com (Jocammel) wrote:
:The water was at the freezing point. Sharks don't like cold water. They live in

:the high rent district of the ocean.

Actually it is recounted in Robert Ballard's DISCOVERY OF THE TITANIC that
he encountered a shark near the wreck.

--
David A. Stinson Home E-mail: dsti...@ix.netcomz.com or
Remove the 'z' for mail dast...@zaol.com

Gary Jackson

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

The message <69oh2m$60n$1...@nnrp1.ni.net>
from dsti...@ix.netcom.com (David Stinson) contains these words:

> ctually it is recounted in Robert Ballard's DISCOVERY OF THE TITANIC that
> he encountered a shark near the wreck.

But was he there in April in sub zero temperatures. Probably not. I
suspect he did his discovering during warmer summer months.

Rose

Elsa22

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

I always thought it was cold water that sharks preferred.

Dina

Derek

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98
to David Stinson

David Stinson wrote:

> :The water was at the freezing point. Sharks don't like cold water. They live in
> :the high rent district of the ocean.
>

> Actually it is recounted in Robert Ballard's DISCOVERY OF THE TITANIC that

> he encountered a shark near the wreck.

Yes but was it July and 60 degrees at the time? I would guess it was.

--
Derek O'Banion
email: doba...@ups.edu

TresBonBon

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

>Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
>in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
>ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor

No, the water was too cold for sharks to be there.

Steve

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 02:18:09 -0800, Derek <doba...@ups.edu> wrote:

>David Stinson wrote:
>
>> :The water was at the freezing point. Sharks don't like cold water. They live in
>> :the high rent district of the ocean.

This is relatively untrue. There are many species of sharks that
inhabit the colder reaches of the ocean. I worked on a fishing vessel
in the Bering Sea as a fisheries biologist and we caught a number of
large Salmon Sharks in near freezing water.

However, sharks in general are exceedingly rare in the vastness of the
ocean... most likely the reason why none happened to show up (if this
is the case) at the sinking of the Titanic.

Steve
-----
Steve - ska...@JABBAntr.net
Please remove the JABBA from my email address to reply.
It may look stupid, but it really cuts down on the spam.

David Stinson

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

In article <34c4e0a8...@207.235.38.3>, ska...@JABBAntr.net (Steve) wrote:

:On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 02:18:09 -0800, Derek <doba...@ups.edu> wrote:
:
:>
:>
:>David Stinson wrote:
:>
:>> :The water was at the freezing point. Sharks don't like cold water. They
: live in
:>> :the high rent district of the ocean.
:
:This is relatively untrue. There are many species of sharks that
:inhabit the colder reaches of the ocean. I worked on a fishing vessel
:in the Bering Sea as a fisheries biologist and we caught a number of
:large Salmon Sharks in near freezing water.
:
Steve,

Next time please check your attributions - I didn't say that - in fact my
post was a comment on sharks existing in those waters as Robert Ballard's
book DISCOVERY OF THE TITANIC recounts him seeing one on one of the
TITANIC dives.

What you showed was the previous poster, whom I quoted to refute his
statement.

renni...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 9:30:13 PM3/20/17
Shredded by Killer Whales. Silly

thekma...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2017, 6:24:13 PM3/23/17
September, 1985. Warmest month for
North Atlantic.

jamespen...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2018, 12:02:53 AM4/21/18
On Thursday, January 15, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Ryan Dutcher wrote:
> No sharks did not eat Titanic passengers. The mangled bodies such as J.J.
> Astor was probably caused by the 1st smokestack falling into the water and
> striking a number of people in the water. I don't think sharks go that far
> north but again I'm not a shark expert.
>
> -Ryan Dutcher
> medge...@webtv.net wrote in message
> <69lkqc$l62$1...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
> Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
> in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
> ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

Sharks aren't the only thing in the water that can tear you to pieces. What about "killer whales" or Orca's? I'm sure I've seen video of them snatching seal and the occasional polar bear cub off of ice flows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccxgpKfEiUY

jald...@gmail.com

May 29, 2018, 1:10:19 AM5/29/18
Interesting post

Pan Szymanowski

May 31, 2018, 11:46:42 AM5/31/18
jald...@gmail.com wrote:
> Interesting post

There are no sharks in cold water.

--
(C) *** JES 2018 *** Юрий Шимановский, известный американский писатель,
естествоиспытатель и некродизайнер.

miste...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2019, 7:05:41 AM2/4/19
On Thursday, 15 January 1998 08:00:00 UTC, medge...@webtv.net wrote:
> Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
> in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
> ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

Many Shark species frequent or even live in colder waters. Take the Greenland shark for example, which is often caught below an icy surface. The Greenland shark was thought to only live in the deepest parts of the ocean but studies have observed them feeding much closer to the surface.

thekma...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2019, 8:18:53 AM3/1/19
jamespen: RE: Astor

Remember the forward funnel tipping over
toward the end of the sinking? Supposedly
JJ Astor was one of those impacted by it,
which would more readily explain his body's
mangled condition.

danse...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2019, 7:18:09 AM8/1/19
On Thursday, January 15, 1998 at 10:00:00 AM UTC+2, medge...@webtv.net wrote:
> Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
> in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
> ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

VIlla for sale in CAS ABOU CURACAO
big swimming pool with Jacuzzi and sundeck.
4 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 3 bathrooms.
Carport. Big tropical garden.

Villa met groot zwembad te koop in Cas Abou Curacao.
Vlak aan strand met fantastisch uitzocht op zee.
Zwembad(9x4m) met Jacuzzi en zonneterras.
Drie badkamers.
Vier Slaapkamers.
meer info vind je op hiltoncuracao.com

Großartige Villa mit wundervoller Aussicht auf das Karibische Meer.
Schwimmbad(9x4m) mit Jacuzzi und Sonnenterasse.
Drei Badezimmer.
Vier Schlafzimmer.

http://villakopencuracao.com/housecuracao.html

dom...@linwoodave.school.nz

Jun 24, 2020, 9:14:23 PM6/24/20
On Thursday, January 15, 1998 at 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, medge...@webtv.net wrote:
> Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
> in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
> ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

i know

Ayrton James C. MANLULU

Dec 14, 2020, 2:07:16 AM12/14/20
NO THERE ARE NO SHARKS EAT THE PEOPLE BECAUSE THE WATER IS VERY COLD

--

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
system manager <mailto://use...@one-bosco.org>. This message contains

Tim Maynard

Feb 4, 2021, 6:27:07 PM2/4/21
There are many species of Shark that are quite happy in Cold Water, Great Whites and Mako Species will frequent cold water, however, sharks will be more than happy to feed on bodies found in the area and there would have been many

Adrian Gonzalez

Feb 9, 2021, 1:29:11 PM2/9/21

Arlo Gleich

Feb 24, 2021, 5:45:15 PM2/24/21

> > actually it is recounted in Robert Ballard's DISCOVERY OF THE TITANIC that
> > he encountered a shark near the wreck.
Yes, but at that point the area surrounding where the Titanic sunk was just chalk-full of hundreds of bodies. After a while when the some of the bodies drifted into warmer waters sharks would've ate them. By the time Ballard is referencing, the sharks would have worked up the nerve after a long time of slowly inching closer and closer to the wreck to eat.

Chip MC

Mar 25, 2021, 3:18:07 PM3/25/21
On Thursday, January 15, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Ryan Dutcher wrote:
> No sharks did not eat Titanic passengers. The mangled bodies such as J.J.
> Astor was probably caused by the 1st smokestack falling into the water and
> striking a number of people in the water. I don't think sharks go that far
> north but again I'm not a shark expert.
>
> -Ryan Dutcher
> medge...@webtv.net wrote in message
> <69lkqc$l62$1...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
> Did Any sharks eat any of the people floating in the water who were not
> in life boats .i heard that some of the bodies found looked like sharks
> ate them ,some were torn apart like JJ Astor.

Um, greenland sharks live in those cold waters, but dont feed on humans. Couldnt tell you.

Russ James

Mar 25, 2021, 7:37:33 PM3/25/21
Russ James - Greenland Sharks live in cold water and live extremely deep. The record Greenland shark caught on a rod and reel was recently caught from a kayak, yes a kayak, by a professional fisherman who was fishing 3000 feet down. It was over 1300 lbs. They swim slowly and are some the oldest living creatures on earth with sharks determined by scientists to be over 500 years old. They can grow to over 20 ft long. They eat all animals that sink down to the bottom, including seals, , dolphins, whales and yes, people, that have died and sunk to the bottom. It is the northernmost shark in the world, north of Greenland (its namesake) and Iceland.

Isabella Jackson

Apr 27, 2021, 5:16:51 AM4/27/21

This email and any files transmitted
with it are confidential and
intended solely for the entity to whom they are
addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are notified that any
use, dissemination, or
copying of this message or data is unauthorised and
prohibited. If you have
received this email in error please notify the sender
immediately and
delete all message material. Before opening or using
attachments, please
rely on your own virus protection. No responsibility is
taken by the sender
for any virus this
communication may contain. Any personal information in
this email must be
treated in accordance with applicable privacy laws.

Bailey Joseph

May 6, 2021, 6:22:12 PM5/6/21
what are the most unusual facts about the titanic??

John Padgett

Nov 28, 2023, 12:39:07 AM11/28/23