Numerals [Was: Western propoganda]

Neil Ozman

Sep 1, 2002, 4:12:37 AM9/1/02
http://www.neo-tech.com/zero/part6.html

Number products in even tens (such as the number 20 or 30) leave the first
right hand column empty (void). When expert abacus users had no abacus
available to them, they could remember and visualize the operation of the
abacus so clearly that all they needed to know was the content of each
column in order to develop any multiplication or division. They then
invented symbols for the content of each column to replace drawing a picture
of the number of beads. Having developed symbols to express the content of
each column, they had to invent a symbol for the numberless content of the
empty column -- that symbol came to be known to the Hindus as "sunya", and
sunya later became "sifr" in Arabic; "cifra" in Roman; and finally "cipher"
in English.