UROnode, Unode, and other packet stations

shmget

Aug 22, 2012, 10:23:11 PM8/22/12
For some time, from about March 2010 to August 2012, I ran a packet radio station with UROnode software, that I adapted and got working. I renamed it Unode, and tried to maintain it, but lost the time and interest to do much with it. I have it posted on GitHub.

I initially kept my station on the air for experimental purposes, but there really wasn't much interest in this area. I can't blame them -- I remember downloading PKZIP in 1995 over TCP/IP on ham radio, and it took 3 hours. It did work, but no one wants to wait that long to transfer data anymore.

Are there areas of the country where NET/ROM or Flexnet are used quite a bit? In the northeast, we have had Flexnet for some time, but even that network is starting to decay.

When I ran my station, I used AXUDP and connected to other stations, and found quite a few callsigns from foreign countries. Is packet used more outside the U.S.? For those of you "across the pond", have any advances in speed been made?

When I have more time, I'd love to get my station going again, but there will need to be more interest in doing something useful, rather than my system doing NET/ROM broadcasts every 15 minutes.

Bob
KD1ZD

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5