test

John Doe

Sep 30, 2021, 11:15:17 AM9/30/21
test

Eli the Bearded

Sep 30, 2021, 1:44:01 PM9/30/21
In alt.hackers, John Doe <john...@freedom.nl.invalid> wrote:
> test

Please use alt.dev.null for testing.

ObHack:
I've been on the hunt for lost vt100 animations. There are archives of
alt.ascii-art.animation out there, but anyone who followed the advice
of the more experienced posters sent animations out as uuencoded files.
And the archives have stripped uuencoded content from posts, since that
was so often used for the "gigabytes of copyright violations"
alt.binaries stuff. Whereas the posts from people who ignored the uuencode
advice have animations preserved....

However some people converted vt100 animations to javascript/html and
posted those, since although HTML is not plain text it is free from
control characters and it was considered safer. Those conversions are
remarkably uniform in construction, so I've been able to write a very
simple script that back-converts them javascript/html to vt100.
Basically every line that starts with " is part of the animation, and
every line of the animation that ends with , is the end of a frame.
Discard all other lines. All that's left is cleaning up line-ending-
encoding (which varies a lot) and backslash escaped characters in the
quoted strings.

For that script, the animations, the source HTML, and a vt100 variable
speed playback tool (it emulates different baud speeds) see:

https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/vt100-slowcat

Elijah
------
the html converter is a really hacky perl script

John Doe

Sep 30, 2021, 1:59:24 PM9/30/21
Op 30-9-2021 om 19:44 schreef Eli the Bearded:
> In alt.hackers, John Doe <john...@freedom.nl.invalid> wrote:
>> test
>
> Please use alt.dev.null for testing.

That is what I did.
I found that I could post in alt.dev.null
So I thought that I could post in alt.hackers.
And then later my first post to alt.hack was refused.
That is when I decided fuck the faq.

Big Bad Bob

Oct 2, 2021, 12:50:38 PM10/2/21
On 2021-09-30 10:59, John Doe wrote:
> Op 30-9-2021 om 19:44 schreef Eli the Bearded:
>> In alt.hackers, John Doe <john...@freedom.nl.invalid> wrote:
>>> test
>>
>> Please use alt.dev.null for testing.
>
> That is what I did.
> I found that I could post in alt.dev.null
> So I thought that I could post in alt.hackers.
> And then later my first post to alt.hack was refused.
> That is when I decided fuck the faq.

alt.test is probably a better place to test the hack you need to post here

ObHack: recently had to replace CPU+mobo on the spare workstation. New
case was one I bought by accident, but much smaller/lighter than the
super=cooler case I was using before (when the hardware was more cutting
edge 14 years ago). Kept old hard drive, DVD drive, and the new power
supply I had tried to swap out [that is when I knew it was WORSE than a
power supply problem].

It was all working until I put the hard drive in, and the screws they
provided left the drive 'rattling' a bit in the slot. Fortunately for
another project I had some nylon washers, so slip those in between screw
and metal, and voila! Ok it's not much of a hack, but most really
simple hacks are not. It got the thing up and running, using spare
parts that I ordered 5 years ago and were just taking up a bit of space
in a parts drawer. No trips to Home Depot required.

(those washers originally provided a bit of extra spacing so that I
could mount 2 boards on top of another and poke pogo pins between them.
Height had to be pretty much exact. I made several of those to test
boards that a previous client was making as a manufacturing tester,
where you put the board on the tester, press a button, and it flashes
firmware and runs basic go/no-go testing on the board. It had an LCD
display and some green and red LEDs and used an RPi to control the test
and do the firmware flash, etc.)

in any case the point that I have a spare workstation in case one fo
them goes titsup (and maintain it as a backup for anything important,
test system for upgrading, etc.) is that I won't generally be stopped
from working if the hardware dies. So yeah, nice to get 14 year old
machine refreshed. The hard drive is only a couple of years old and it
uses ZFS on the root with FreeBSD. So far working ok [I am posting from
there].