Shutter Hack

Buzz McCool

Dec 18, 2020, 8:25:47 PM12/18/20
Merry Christmas Bob!

The interior plantation shutters on our windows have magnets on the
inside of the window casing to keep them closed. Thus the magnets are
exposed to the sun. After five years of sunlight, the plastic casing of
the magnets has deteriorated and the magnets are falling out of the
broken plastic.

ObHack: Ordered a new set of magnets, but before installing them, I'm
putting a couple of coats of white spray paint on the holder plastic
(non-magnet) side facing the sun to act as sun screen.

Note in the previous house I was in, the shutters were held closed with
a metal spring clip and nub that wouldn't deteriorate in the sun.

    Buzz

,

Eli the Bearded

Jan 25, 2021, 10:06:49 PM1/25/21
In alt.hackers, Buzz McCool <buzz_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The interior plantation shutters on our windows have magnets on the
> inside of the window casing to keep them closed. Thus the magnets are
> exposed to the sun. After five years of sunlight, the plastic casing of
> the magnets has deteriorated and the magnets are falling out of the
> broken plastic.

Oh, yes, those shutters. I must say, when I saw the subject I was
hoping for a _camera_ shutter hack.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but couldn't you just glue the
magnets back in, sans plastic?

> ObHack: Ordered a new set of magnets, but before installing them, I'm
> putting a couple of coats of white spray paint on the holder plastic
> (non-magnet) side facing the sun to act as sun screen.

That reminds me of a magnet use we have, which I'll call my ObHack for
this.

To make custom transluctent curtains for our front windows, we got
ordinary spring tension curtain rods, then took tracing paper and made a
loop for the rod. Clear, cheap, very light weight. Too light weight
sometimes, so to give gravity some help I attached weights to the bottom
of the curtains. The weights? One washer and one neodymium, on opposite
sides of the paper, in each of the bottom corners.

It's been like that more than a year. Only time there is an issue is
rarely something metal gets near the bottom of the curtain.

Elijah
------
has glued a lot of magnets to things with either E6000 or epoxy

Buzz McCool

Mar 8, 2021, 7:38:55 PM3/8/21
On 1/25/21 7:06 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> Oh, yes, those shutters. I must say, when I saw the subject I was
> hoping for a _camera_ shutter hack.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but couldn't you just glue the
> magnets back in, sans plastic?

Nope. The magnets are held in a (deteriorating) plastic cage that sits
in the sun between the window and plantation shutter.

If the second set with the white paint suncreen fail, I'll use your glue
the magnets idea with a small bent piece of aluminum sheet.

ObHack -

Cell phone wasn't charging. Thought the USB-C connector was worn out. A
little search engine research indicated years of pocket lint tends to
build up around the connector slot, preventing a solid connection from
occurring. A small plastic cocktail skewer and some sandpaper created a
tiny plastic sword that I used to scrape out the lint and allow my cell
phone to charge again.

Buzz