Attaching a small file to existing .exe

1 view

chao...@earthling.net

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Forgive the crossposting it is so hard to get a real response by posting to
just 1 group.

Is it possible to attach a small file such as a text or data file to
and existing .exe file so when the .exe file is run the text file gets put in
a specific directory? I am not talking about a trojan horse attachment just a
text/data file that wouldnot overwrite something. Say I have a setup.exe for a
prog that also needs a custom setup file, I want the prog to be runnable NOT
zipped or zipped with auto extract, so that when it is run the program runs as
usual but the custom setup file is then copied to the dir just created for
that progrm.
Here is why, I found a program on the net that runs diagnostics for
laptop ir communictions, the prob is that every time it runs you have to set
it up, If it finds a .stp (like .ini) file it doesn't run the config and goes
from there. I would like it so my clients don't have to config the prog when
they start it and also don't have to use pkzip or a selfextractor because the
file is just right at 1.42k and fits on a floppy, it is dense so compressing
with auto extrct makes it too large for diak, but if I could attach just the
stp then all would be good.
Note: the program is not a setup it is just the file (an all inclusive
program that creates only its own setup file)

Appreciate any help, will trade 0-day serial sites for info. Thanks