'Guns cause shootings like cameras cause pornography'

1 view

Melanie Rocky Ford

Apr 28, 2007, 9:35:51 PM4/28/07
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55436

Expert offers teachers free weapons training
'Guns cause shootings like cameras cause pornography'

April 28, 2007
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Dr. Ignatius Piazza

The mad homicidal rampages in American schools will halt when attackers
find out that faculty and students sometimes are armed and trained to
use those weapons effectively, so an expert in the defensive use of
guns is offering free
training to educators.

"In our country, every time a misguided individual on psychiatric drugs
goes on a killing spree, anti-self defense legislators watch the polls
and exploit the dead victims in order to fool the public into
accepting more gun control," said Ignatius Piazza, founder of Front
Sight Firearms Training Institute.

"It is time our country finds some resolve and the will to tackle the
real problem – which is rooting out the actual influences in the lives
of our youth that predispose them to commit atrocities such as those we
saw at Virginia Tech," he said.

"The problem is not guns. Guns don't cause these incidents to occur any
more than cameras cause child pornography or automobiles cause traffic
fatalities," he said. "Society is safer when we train and arm our law
abiding citizens."

His feelings are so strong on the subject he's launched a two-part
campaign: to honor the heroes of the Virginia Tech massacre and to make
sure that defensive firearms training is available to those who will
be in a position to halt the next one.
Cho Seung-Hui

In the Virginia Tech attack, Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old English major
and native of South Korea, took two handguns and hundreds of rounds of
ammunition on his rampage. He killed 32 others, and himself.

In this case, and others like it, the issue has been raised about how
an attacker is able to kill so many, and what would it take for
someone to fight back against such aggression. There also are random
arguments that there should be more restrictions on guns and gun
ownership.

But Virginia Tech's own experience with shootings should have made the
solution clear:

As WND reported, five years before this latest shooting, on Jan. 16,
2002, Peter Odighizuwa, a 43-year-old student from Nigeria, walked
into the offices of Law School Dean Anthony Sutin, 42, and professor
Thomas Blackwell, 41, and opened fire with a .380 ACP semi-automatic
handgun – shooting them at close range.

Also killed in the same building was student Angela Denise Dales, 33.
Three others were wounded.

But as soon as the gunfire erupted, two students acting independently
of one another, Tracy Bridges and Mikael Gross, ran to their vehicles
to retrieve firearms. Gross, an off-duty police officer in his home
state of North Carolina, got his 9mm pistol and body armor. Bridges
got out his .357 Magnum.

They approached Odighizuwa from different angles, and Bridges yelled
for him to drop his weapon and the shooter was subdued by several
unarmed students. Gross went back to his car and got handcuffs to
detain the shooter until police arrived.

To address the next attack that will come up, Piazza is offering free
firearms training (for up to three people from any school) to any
school administrator, teacher or fulltime staff member designated as
school safety monitor.

"My offer is not a new idea. In the early 70's, Israel was faced with
much greater problems of armed terrorist attacks on schools. The cry
for more gun control was heard then too, but Israel very carefully
analyzed all possible options before adopting the proactive position
of arming and training their teachers. School shootings stopped and
terrorists looked for easier targets."

Dave Clark, who retired a short time ago after teaching for 25 years in
Livermore, Calif., and has attended First Sight training, said such
education is needed for teachers.

"I learned universally accepted rules in justifiable use of deadly
force," he said. "More importantly, I learned when not to shoot and
how to be more mentally prepared to see a lethal confrontation coming
before it happens in order to avoid it."

"It seems obvious that armed and trained staff members inside the
school are in a better position to identify the attackers and do
something immediately to resolve the situation. It is much harder for
police, who arrive on the scene too late to stop the killing," Piazza
said.

He cited a case in Pearl, Miss., when a vice principal used a handgun
to stop and detain an armed killer.

"Teachers will be trained to carry a concealed weapon, so potential
attackers will not know which teachers are armed and which are not. In
states that
have adopted concealed weapon laws for private citizens, violent crime
has dropped. School attacks will drop as well once it is known that
any of the teachers and staff members on school grounds have the
ability and training to stop
a violent attack immediately," he said.

He also said laws banning guns on campuses need changing. None of them,
Piazza noted, prevented the two shooters at Columbine, or Cho at
Virginia Tech, from bringing weapons onto campus. "The brazen attacks
in school after school during the last decade indicate criminals have
concluded that 'Gun-Free-School-Zone' actually means 'Government
Certified, Helpless and Unarmed Victim
Zone,'" he said.

It was just a year earlier a Virginia plan to give college students the
right to carry concealed weapons was killed. Larry Hincker, Virginia
Tech spokesman, said at the time, "I'm sure the university community
is appreciative of
the General Assembly's actions because this helps parents, students,
faculty and visitors to feel safe on our campus."

In announcing the honors for heroism during Cho's attack, Piazza said
Front Sight is recognizing Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor and
professor at Virginia Tech who blocked the doorway with his own body
and ordered students to flee through open windows. They did and
survived; he was shot and killed.

Piazza is honoring Librescu's heroism with Front Sight Firearms
Training Institute "Legacy" lifetime memberships for each of those
saved students.

The $8,900 memberships include training in various defense, weapons,
and gun courses, Piazza said.

"Professor Librescu's actions under fire are inspiring. He gave his
life to save his students. I want the Librescu family to know that
such valor does not
go unrecognized or unrewarded," he said.

"With Front Sight's training, Professor Librescu may rest in peace,
knowing his students will have the mindset and ability to protect
themselves, their loved ones, and their peers for the rest of their
lives," he said. "They will never have to run in fear again."

Those in the classroom need just send Front Sight a letter from the
Virginia Tech Engineering Department administrator confirming their
presence in the classroom that day, he said.

"Just as Professor Librescu's experience as a Holocaust survivor burned
into his character the importance of standing tall against aggression
and hate, his students will forever carry the understanding that such
irrational violence
can happen at any time and any place," Piazza said.

In addition to the Liviu Librescu Scholarship awarded by Piazza and his
institute, John Wehner, a lifetime member of Front Sight, has agreed
to honor one
of the other heroes.

"An amazing student at Virginia Tech held off the shooter who killed
all those kids. Zach Petkewicz is his name. It seems he barricaded a
door. Please find him and give him a Lifetime Legacy Membership on me!
I'll even pay for his first trip to Front Sight – air fare and hotel.
God bless him. He has wits about him," Wehner wrote in a letter to
Front Sight.

In a report on CNN, Petkewicz said he wasn't brave, but he wasn't
willing to do nothing.

Students in his classroom saw the gunman coming out of a nearby
classroom. "They immediately slammed the door shut, told us, everybody
kind of went into a
frenzy, a panic. I hid behind the podium and then just kind of looked
up at
the door. Like, there's nothing stopping this guy from just coming in.
And so I said, 'We need to barricade this door.'"

He described his feelings. "I was completely scared out of my mind
originally, just went into a cowering position, and then just realized
you have got to
do something." He and others shoved a table against the door and held
it there first as gunshots rang out in the hallway, then the gunman
tried to force his way in.

"He … tried the handle and couldn't get in because we were pushing up
against it," he said. The gunman shot twice through the door. "I just
heard his clip drop to the ground, and he reloaded and I thought he was
coming back … He didn't say a word, and he just turned and kept firing
down the hall and didn't try to get back in."

Asked to respond to those who call him hero, he said, "I'm just glad I
could be here."

Wehner said such character is what the nation needs. "If citizens in
our society have the proper training, the odds will improve for the
good guys in these horrible situations."

Piazza started his training school after realizing the need for
expertise with weapons once when "a group of anti-socials drove
through my quiet neighborhood and blasted away at everything that
represented the fruits of a decent
work ethic."

"I was struck by a sudden and frightening realization. Although I owned
firearms and shot them regularly at the range, I was never taught the
skills required to use a gun when it is needed most – to defend one's
life."

--
Are private banks printing our money and then loaning it to this
country and taking all our income tax to pay the interest on it? Free

IF YOU'RE NOT VOTING FOR LIBERTARIANS, YOU'RE ONLY VOTING FOR YOUR
RULERS! If the government wasn't allowed to initiate force, the vote
wouldn't be that important. It's only important because they can.
http://www.stentorian.com/spectrum.html

'Guns cause shootings like cameras cause pornography'

zzpat

Apr 29, 2007, 10:47:35 AM4/29/07
Unless you think killing has some sort of intrinsic moral value then
guns have no value. On the other hand cameras have a lot of value. They
capture current events and show us what's new in the universe. They
record what this generation experienced and learned and we can pass that
information to the next generation

Guns have mostly one purpose - to kill. Granted, a very small minority
use guns for target practice but they target practice so they can be
proficient at killing.

--
Impeach Bush
http://zzpat.bravehost.com/

Bill Smith

Apr 29, 2007, 12:25:53 PM4/29/07

Do you really think that's what target shooting is about?

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Bill Smith

Bert Hyman

Apr 29, 2007, 12:29:37 PM4/29/07
In news:f12b6...@enews4.newsguy.com zzpat <zzpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unless you think killing has some sort of intrinsic moral value ...

Oh, but it does.

Defense of self and family is high on my list of good things.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Melanie Rocky Ford

Apr 29, 2007, 1:05:26 PM4/29/07
zzpat <zzpa...@gmail.com> wrote :

> Unless you think killing has some sort of intrinsic moral value then
> guns have no value.

False premise to begin with, being the predominant purpose for guns is to
defend life and liberty, which they do 99.99% of the time.

Lying marxists!

Mike Piacente

Apr 29, 2007, 3:19:10 PM4/29/07
what a bunch of crap!

Let's see guns can be used for target practice or killing (whether people or
animals) -- two purposes

So let's see, using your head-up-the-ass (i.e., typical liberal) logic, then
any item with two purposes -- one legitimate, the other not-- should be
banned:

Knives: cutting meat or killing (stabbing or slashing)

Bats: hitting a ball or killing (crushing)

Cars: driving or killing (running down)

Axes: chopping or killing (chopping)

Hands: many uses or killing (strangling, pummelling)

I guess the person's intent has nothing to do with anything, right? Guns
just jump up into someone's hand and start shooting.

Typical Liberal Mantra: "It's not your fault, blame it on something or
someone else."

"zzpat" <zzpa...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Jim E

Apr 29, 2007, 6:40:53 PM4/29/07

"zzpat" <zzpa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I suppose fools like you thing that killing an attacking rapist is a bad
thing.
You want to put rapists in therapy.
I want to put them in the ground.

Jim E

Lake of Fire

Apr 30, 2007, 10:43:52 AM4/30/07

Agreed Jim E.

Whine about concealed carry as much as you want, but show me a rapist
who is a repeat offender after a couple hollow points to the head, and
I'll put down my weapons forever.

° Shanghai Lil °

Apr 29, 2007, 5:40:34 PM4/29/07
Melanie Rocky Ford
<snip>

You ignorant slut.

Jim E

May 1, 2007, 1:38:12 AM5/1/07

"Lake of Fire" <lakeo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Given the option gut shots are better.
Extreme pain and lifelong health problems.
If the situation permits.

Jim E

RSweeney

May 1, 2007, 11:11:45 PM5/1/07
Umbrellas cause rain

Please... get the analogy right.

_ Prof. Jonez _

May 2, 2007, 1:01:39 PM5/2/07
RSweeney wrote:
> Umbrellas cause rain
>
> Please... get the analogy right.

So lead raindrops shoot from umbrellas, eh jackass?

Harley Sullivan

May 2, 2007, 1:44:14 PM5/2/07
_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:

Colorado Scooters
1207 E.11th Ave.
Denver CO 80218

Open 24 Hours - Call in advance to make sure we are awake.

Zanmai Trading Company is a North American trading company specializing
in importing Motor Scooters, Parts and Accessories.

Company Name : Zanmai Trading Co
Company Address : PO Box 20231
Boulder CO
ZIP/Postal code : 80308
Company Phone : 1-303-6694574
Company Fax : 1-303-8619681
Contact Person : Eric Ross (Owner)
Contact Phone : 3036694574

Trade Message > Buy - Scooter Engines 70cc 90cc Engine Parts

Last Active: 13 Nov, 2005

Environmental Consultants LLC
1207 E 11th Ave
Denver CO 80218
303.669.4574
303.861.9681 fax
in...@EPAhelp.com

China Office:

Shanghai Solang Information Technology Co., Ltd.
2-13D XINGHAI MANSION
LANE 1251 JIANGNING ROAD,
SHANGHAI 200060
86-21-62271602
86-21-62278972 fax
in...@tuohe.com

Company Name: Zanmai Trading Co.
Country/Territory: United States
Address: PO Box 20231, Boulder, Colorado, United States
Products/Services We Offer: Motor scooters, motorcycles, scooter
engines, scooter parts, scooter performance accessories
Business Type: Trading Company
Industry Focus: Scooter Parts & Accessories , Motorcycle Accessories ,
Motorcycle Parts , Electric Motorcycles ,
Geographic Markets: North America
No. of Employees: 5 - 10 People
Annual Sales Range (USD): Below US$1 Million
Year Established: 1995
Legal Representative/CEO: Eric Ross

This member does NOT have a TrustPass Profile.

TrustPass® serves to provide transparency regarding the identity and
legitimacy of your trading partners on Alibaba.com. Only companies who
have completed an Authentication and Verification procedure conducted by
a third-party credit-reporting agency have a TrustPass Profile.

Contact Person: Mr. Eric Ross
Job Title: Director/CEO/General Manager
Address: PO Box 20231, Boulder, Colorado, United States
Zip/Postal Code: 80308
Telephone: 303-669-4574
Fax: 303-861-9681