Steve Cropper: What do you think?

Scott Harrison

Nov 22, 2001, 12:57:21 AM11/22/01
Don't forget that steve and Donald 'Duck' Dunn were in the Blues Brothers
movies with Matt 'Guitar' Murphy. Some awesome playing on both BB soundtracks.

l.d. jackson

Nov 22, 2001, 2:52:00 AM11/22/01
spectacular and superior as a guitar player and songwriter....... :)

Paul D.

Nov 21, 2001, 10:47:45 PM11/21/01
My brother turned me on to an Eddie Floyd album, "Rare Stamps" and I am just
blown away by Steve Cropper's rhythm playing.

My goal is to play rhythm guitar well, and Steve's playing is very humbling but
at the same time really gets me motivated.

What do you all think of him?

My brother was saying that Steve plays with on a lot of albums with a lot of
different artists. Is he still playing? Where can I learn more about him and
his style and methods? Can you recomend any other albums?

Thanks,

Paul D.

Craig Ramseur

Nov 21, 2001, 11:21:24 PM11/21/01
Paul D. <bogus...@hotmail.com> wrote in

He was the house guitarist for STAX records. He was the lead
guitarist in Booker T and the MG's. He co wrote Otis Redding's
"Sitting on the dock of the bay". The man is a living legend (still
tours with the MG's), and a master of the Telecaster. He is soul
guitar.

Peace and lovingkindness to all, even the bad guys.
Craig Ramseur
cr...@panix.com
http://www.soundclick.com/craigramseur.htm

James

Nov 21, 2001, 11:23:09 PM11/21/01
Cropper's high school buddy was Donald "Duck" Dunn, so they have been
playing together since the 50's.

Cropper Story: Cropper wrote the intro for "Midnight Hour" by Wilson
Pickett. When Eddie Floyd came to Cropper with "Knock on Wood," he wanted
an intro like Pickett's in "Midnight Hour." Cropper made a great
move........he just played the exact intro to "Midnight Hour"
backwards......and that is the intro to "Knock on Wood."

Cropper may not have invented R&B/Soul/Funk rhythm guitar, but he was a
pioneer for sure. Going back to "Midnight Hour" once again, Cropper
established the back beat chop.

A great player, he believed in "less is more," with an emphasis on tasty
licks, as in songs like "Soul Man." He was also a great producer and
arranger.........he is known for his ability to "turn an idea into a great
song"......usually in one take.

I would think that there are a lot of websites concerning Cropper. I would
suggest going to http://www.google.com/ and entering " Steve Cropper
." You'll find a lot of great sites. Hope this helps. Jim

"Paul D." <bogus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

weelie

Nov 22, 2001, 6:31:18 AM11/22/01

"Paul D." <bogus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

He still tours with Blues Brothers Band. Check the STAX records catalogue
(Booker T and as a background back on the rest) in the late sixties or BB
soundtrack.

yes, He is _the_ rhythm guitarist! On Blues Brothers he's got another
_Great_ guitarist on lead on it: Matt Guitar Murphy!

Do a search on allmusic.com (Steve Cropper, Booker T. & the MG's, Otis
Redding, Wilson Pickett, Carla Thomas, Albert King, and Sam & Dave).

Weelie

weelie

Nov 22, 2001, 6:33:11 AM11/22/01

Oh and his got his own signature Peavey guitar, modeled after a Fender
telecaster but with humbuckers:
http://www.peavey.com/mi/cropper_classic.html

Weelie

Dan Stanley

Nov 22, 2001, 9:39:05 AM11/22/01

"Paul D." <bogus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Where can I learn more about him and
> his style and methods? Can you recomend any other albums?

He is featured in this month's Vintage Guitar Magazine.
He has a website, www.playitsteve.com , but I can't seem to get there this
morning for some reason.

Yeah, there is a lifetime of great stuff to learn from him.

Dan

Mark

Nov 22, 2001, 11:58:35 AM11/22/01
I believe it's Cropper who plays guitar on "Green Onions' by Booker T & the
MGs

Steve2000indeja

Nov 22, 2001, 12:59:56 PM11/22/01

>"Paul D." <bogus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My brother turned me on to an Eddie Floyd album, "Rare Stamps" and I am
>just
>> blown away by Steve Cropper's rhythm playing.
>>
>> My goal is to play rhythm guitar well, and Steve's playing is very
>humbling but
>> at the same time really gets me motivated.
>>
>> What do you all think of him?
>>
>> My brother was saying that Steve plays with on a lot of albums with a lot
>of
>> different artists. Is he still playing? Where can I learn more about him
>and
>> his style and methods? Can you recommend any other albums?

As mentioned Steve is a great "less is more" in the pocket rhythm player. Great
feel and fills.

Take the playing of Steve Cropper, Curtis Mayfield and Pop Staples and you have
all you need to know about soulful rhythm playing.

And as mentioned, Steve has some heavyweight session player, production and
writing credits during his Stax/Booker T/Memphis years. The MGs backed a lot of
Stax/Volt and other Memphis artists on some of the biggest soul hits of the 60s
('memphis soul' as opposed to Motown). Steve's guitar/production is on lots of
that classic stuff.

You can hear Sam (or Dave) yell 'play it Steve' on the signature lick on the
original recording of "Soul Man." You can hear John Belushi yell the same thing
15 years later when Steve played it on the Blues Brothers' remake of that song.

Steve's importance as a producer/songwriter cannot be overstated.
Even though he was "just a house producer' at Stax/Volt (probably on a modest
salary) as such, he was involved in producing and writing some all-time great
R+B/Soul classics during Stax golden years- and a lot of other records/artists
which haven't made the "golden oldies" radio formats but remain defining R+B,
if you want to search em out.

Someone mentioned Steve co-writing, producing and playing on Otis Redding's
"Dock of The Bay." IIRC, he was Otis' main producer/co-writer- doing all the
classic Redding sides, once Otis got his major label recording deal.

Cropper once said that one of the secrets to Otis' sound (besides the
phenomenal voice) was that Otis and he had a rule on the chords used for his
songs- No Minor Chords! (Lotsa dom 7s tho.) Check it out. It's true on most
tunes, and helped give Otis' music a sweet soul sound - even when he was
singing about being totally tore down by a woman...

Cropper's glory days were his time in the 60s in Memphis, when it was a red hot
town for soulful R+B.

He has done some notable production in later years on records by Jeff Beck (who
understands Cropper is a master), Robben Ford and others. As mentioned, he has
had a couple of runs with the Blues Brothers and has reunited with Booker T and
the MGs a few times.

I went to a Booker T/MGs show in the mid 90s (the great Dennis Chambers on
drums) . I'll tell ya, those songs (with the exception of Green Onions) were
kinda like funky MOR when they first came out in the 60s, early 70s- but in
concert Booker, Steve, Duck and Dennis totally kicked ass and those tunes were
completely happening.

A lesson in powerful dynamics (Booker T will totally lean into that B-3 at
times and drive over you..), clean/ultra tasty and soulful playing- each guy
playing just the _right_ stuff. Cropper playing his patented perfect rhythm,
rhythm/lead parts with strong clean tone on his tele through a Fender combo. No
effects, except a little reverb. Just his hands and impeccable taste.

Steve Cropper is a living legend. He oughta be in the R+R HOF on one of those
individual 'producer' awards things. He's been deeply involved with some of the
best R+B music of alltime.

For listening pick up one of those Stax collections ideally, or the Otis
Redding's or Booker T box sets. It's all great...if you want to pick up some
great rhythm licks and hear how a master lays it in the groove, and knows when
to lay out.
Sometimes leaving the right space is more important to the song than playing.
Ask Jeff Beck and Larry Carlton.

Steve

crow

Nov 22, 2001, 1:26:50 PM11/22/01
"Soul Men" (rhino/atlantic) is a good place to start. check out "The Good
Runs the Bad 'Way". Any Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, MGs...

epp

kevin and marisa

Nov 22, 2001, 7:12:18 PM11/22/01
Absolutely my fave guitarist ever...the most impressive thing about his
playing is that he always seems to know when *not* to play--to hold back and
let the song breathe. Budding guitarists can learn a hell of a lot from
him...

Kevin

Sharp9

Nov 23, 2001, 12:03:08 AM11/23/01
No offense man but there's some crazy shit in this post... "once Otis got
his major label recording deal", "funky MOR."

It's cool that you appreciate Cropper but check out the book "sweet Soul
Music" by Peter Guralnick (sp?) or at least the www.allmusic.com blurb if
you want to clarify your understanding of Cropper, Stax, Memphis and (black)
music before the age of giant multinational cross-promotional garbage.

As for a side to get started with, I think a hit's sampler is OK but a hit's
package by Booker T, Otis and Sam & Dave would be a minimal entry. For more
Soul guitar stuff check out Bobby Womack (get something with "Woman gotta
have it" for the bassline), Tyrone Davis (Leo Grahm on guitar) and Jimmy
Johnson on any Muscle Shoals stuff (Aretha's "Never Loved a Man..." is a
must have anyway). While you're at it check out Al Green, Wilson Pickett,
Johnny Taylor, William Bell, Carla Thomas..........

The Soul thing was a singles biz for the most part so CD's are a great way
to get you money's worth.

Good Luck,
DA

"Steve2000indeja " <sslag...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Steve2000indeja

Nov 23, 2001, 3:40:27 AM11/23/01
>No offense man but there's some crazy shit in this post... "once Otis got
>his major label recording deal", "funky MOR."

Huh?
---
Per the All Music Guide- (your idea):

"Although Redding at his peak was viewed as a consummate, versatile showman, he
began his recording career in the early '60s as a Little Richard-styled
shouter. The Georgian was working in the band of guitarist Johnny Jenkins at
the time, and in 1962 he took advantage of an opportunity to record the ballad
"These Arms of Mine" at a Jenkins session. When it became an R&B hit, Redding's
solo career was truly on its way, though the hits didn't really start to fly
until 1965 and 1966, when "Mr. Pitiful," "I've Been Loving You Too Long," "I
Can't Turn You Loose," a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction," and
"Respect" (later turned into a huge pop smash by Aretha Franklin) were all big
sellers."

"Redding wrote much of his own material, sometimes with the assistance of
Booker T. and the MG's guitarist Steve Cropper."
---
Otis Redding-like 99% of artists-especially regional mega talents, not hyped
LA/NYC manufactured stars-started and paid dues in local bands before finding
his style and getting signed as a solo artists to a major independent- Stax.
And that happened -as with many other great talents- when he was officially
singing for someone else.

Re: the "funky Middle of the Road" music.

Booker T and the MGs- after their early 60s career classic 'Green Onions' (and
Cropper's earlier work on with the Markey's way cool "Last Night") charted a
series of funk-flavored/MOR instrumentals that hit mainstream top-40.

Not super funky, commercial (but great records, I now realize) songs like "Time
Is Tight," the movie theme "Hang Em High" and their cover of "Groovin" got them
mainstream airplay on rock oriented T-40 stations, but also middle of the road
AM stations such as my parents listened to. Stations that would also feature
the music of the Tijuana Brass, 5th Dimension, Sergio Mendez Tom Jones, 60s
Frank Sinatra etc. 60s Middle Of The Road pop music. Booker T's stuff was the
coolest of any of those artists- great grooves, but as slick as any of the
other crossover hit makers.

Their tunes wouldn't get covered by the band at your high school dance, but
they would get covered by the combo at the local cocktail lounge, along with
tunes by Tony Orlando and Dawn. Other musicians like Jeff Beck early on
recognized the musical performances for the great tight records they were, and
Cropper for the tasty understated player he is.

Thus my comments about being utterly blown away at a Booker T/MGs concert in
the 90s- around the time they were enlisted as the house band for the televised
allstar anniversary concert from Madison Square Garden for Bob Dylan (backing
everyone from Stevie Wonder to Eric Clapton to Roger McGuinn to the O'Jays) and
then backing Neil Young on a national tour that was considered one of the best
he's ever done.

Though some of the MGs 60s hits were mainstream soul light (if ultra tight and
great in concert) and -again, other than Green Onions-haven't really had
staying power in the American rock and soul songbook, some of the Wilson
Pickett, Eddie Floyd, Sam and Dave and Otis Redding soul standards which Steve
Cropper contributed to most definitely do have that power and have become cross
genre standards.

Many of those classics were covered by bands of all kinds back in their chart
topping days...and have been ever since. They are a big part of our -now
mainstream- musical culture, though some of them were super funky and pretty
steamy when they came out.

>It's cool that you appreciate Cropper but check out the book "sweet Soul
>Music" by Peter Guralnick (sp?) or at least the www.allmusic.com blurb if
>you want to clarify your understanding of Cropper, Stax, Memphis and (black)
>music before the age of giant multinational cross-promotional garbage.

I've read bunches of stuff about all aspects of Steve's career - discovering a
bit late (the 1970s) he was such a major force in producing and writing some of
the big 60s soul hits. I own most recordings he's produced, played on,
cowritten etc.

Based on what's written about him, Booker and Otis in the All Music Guide
blurbs I just checked, I don't see my 'imo' comments as being 'crazy':) Just
some viewpoints which I thought might explain some Cropper highlights to a
newbie -and some listening suggestions for someone just getting acquainted with
the many things he's done.

>As for a side to get started with, I think a hit's sampler is OK but a hit's
>package by Booker T, Otis and Sam & Dave would be a minimal entry. For more
>Soul guitar stuff check out Bobby Womack (get something with "Woman gotta

>have it" for the bassline), Tyrone Davis (Leo Graham on guitar) and Jimmy
>Johnson on any Muscle Shoals stuff (Urethra's "Never Loved a Man..." is a
>must have anyway). While you're at it check out Al Green, Wilson Picket,

>Johnny Taylor, William Bell, Carla Thomas..........

All great stuff. But the poster was asking about Steve Cropper, so I
concentrated on Steve's stuff.

While not the be-all, end-all for 60s/70s soul - Steve's work is a surprisingly
extensive contribution if you don't know of him. And I gotta think some of the
guitarists who played on the recordings you mentioned above Had to be aware of
Cropper's triple threat of great R+B playing style, writing and producing the
million sellers (and many other) recordings which Stax was coming out with
during their peak era.

>The Soul thing was a singles biz for the most part so CD's are a great way
>to get you money's worth.
>
>Good Luck,
>DA

I mentioned the comps as does the All Music Guide:

"As is the case with most instrumental rock bands, the MGs singles contained
their best material, and they're best appreciated via anthologies. But their
albums were not inconsequential, and occasionally ambitious (they did an entire
instrumental version of the Beatles' Abbey Road, which they titled McLemore
Avenue in honor of the location of Stax's studios)."

The original poster asked for some jumping off places to get into Cropper, so I
suggested some well known recordings/hits collections-Sam and Dave, Pickett,
Otis, the MGs- loaded with the Cropper stuff most folks can relate to as far as
recognizing the tunes-some of which featured some of his best work.

And I mentioned that once getting through those, there was a wealth of great
stuff which Cropper was involved with that did not cross over to mainstream
T-40 and charted only on the soul/R+B charts. And as you point out, a ton of
other great R+B guitarists and artists.

Seemed like easing the poster into some million selling Cropper classics with
killer playing and production from him would be a good introduction. From there
it's up to him.

I've not read the Sweet Soul Music book, but thanks for mentioning it. I'll
check it out.

Fwiw, I've read thousands of articles/artist interviews-including many with
Cropper- in music publications through the years, as well as genre/style books,
"Like Sweet Soul Music" seems to be.

I generally take it all with a (small or bigger) grain of salt- except the
artist interviews and the music. The rest is subjective, as my two posts on
this thread about Steve Cropper have been.

"Steve Cropper" is only a chapter in the book of great American soul/R+B, but
his is an important chapter.

imo

Steve

Andy van Tol

Nov 23, 2001, 3:48:49 AM11/23/01
Good post, thanks.
--
Andy

Steve2000indeja wrote in message
<20011123034027...@mb-mq.aol.com>...
[snip]

Paul D.

Nov 23, 2001, 5:51:41 AM11/23/01
Yeah, thanks for these and all the responses on this thread. I've got a lot to
learn and look forward to it all.

Many thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Paul D.

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:48:49 -0700, "Andy van Tol" <no...@nospam.org> wrote:

>Good post, thanks.

peter huggins

Nov 24, 2001, 3:54:39 AM11/24/01
One more record worth checking out :

"Jammed Together" Steve with Pops Staples and Albert King. A bit
different than most of the normal Stax stuff, availiable on CD.

Grins, Peter
http://community.webtv.net/guitarmaniax/THISISTHE

http://community.webtv.net/guitarmaniax/unfinished3

Mark A. Smith

Nov 24, 2001, 5:24:09 AM11/24/01
His version of "I Can't Stand The Rain", written by Ann Peebles, is fantastic. He
an Booker T., et al, make this wonderful song come to life in an instrumental
fashion.

John Sessoms

Dec 9, 2001, 6:55:39 PM12/9/01

Cropper's lick on Mustang Sally is probably the all time greatest, most
under-stated lick in rock & roll history.

Paul D.

Dec 31, 2001, 10:33:36 PM12/31/01
Just wanted to add a follow up.

I bought some Booker T and the MG's and Otis Readding. Been listening to it for
a week or so, and I have to say it has realy helped my rhythm playing. I find
myself not just hammering away at chords, but instead trying to add strums here
and there where they fit in with a song.

To be honest, at first I thought some of the songs I have from BT and the MG's
are kinda cheesy, like the themes songs and stuff, but the playing outwieghs
what the song is.

Paul D.

David Kingsley

Dec 31, 2001, 10:58:58 PM12/31/01
in article Uy0xPCkCdJknn1...@4ax.com, Paul D. at
bogus...@hotmail.com wrote on 12/31/01 10:33 PM:

Steve Cropper was the master at ensemble type playing. He was asked in an
interview years ago if he would ever like to get the chance to show off as a
lead player. His reply, paraphrased, was that he would rather be playing the
rythmn part. He felt that there were other players that should and could
play leads much better than he. He believed that the song meant nothing if
there was no rock solid rythmn guitar under it. He was also of the idea that
what you didn't play mattered as much as what you did play. Good advice. We
could all learn from his philosophy of guitar playing.

His sentiments are probably what pushed him in the direction of producing.
He had plenty of experience in the studios getting good sounds with just the
barest of equipment.

davidk

Jny Vee

Jan 1, 2002, 4:55:00 AM1/1/02
In article <B8569E32.617%davi...@mindspring.com>, David Kingsley
<davi...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> in article Uy0xPCkCdJknn1...@4ax.com, Paul D. at
> bogus...@hotmail.com wrote on 12/31/01 10:33 PM:
>
> > Just wanted to add a follow up.
> >
> > I bought some Booker T and the MG's and Otis Readding. Been listening to it
> > for
> > a week or so, and I have to say it has realy helped my rhythm playing.

> >> Paul D. <bogus...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> >> He was the house guitarist for STAX records. He was the lead
> >> guitarist in Booker T and the MG's. He co wrote Otis Redding's
> >> "Sitting on the dock of the bay".

Cropper (and Duck Dunn) had a publicity revival when
Belushi/Ackroyd/Schaeffer picked them to anchor the BLUES BROTHERS
backup band in the films/albums. He also produced one cut on Roy
Orbison's marvelous record MYSTERY GIRL.

Midnight Mover (Pickett?) is a GREAT study in pocket, esp if you can
find the 'stereo' mix from teh 3-track that shoved the section on left,
the sweetening on right and the vocals in teh middle.

--
<Help Keep The Net Emoticon-Free>

Lawrence

Jan 1, 2002, 6:12:51 AM1/1/02
"Jny Vee" <moc....@ybmurbrevlis.com> wrote in message
I used to play in a 10 piece UK based soul band and Croppers guitar parts
where always a delight. My particular favorite is Otis's I've been loving
you too long (to stop now). Nothing fancy but solid as rock.

--
Lawrence
http://www.ukgtrl.f9.co.uk