how to pronounce Yngwie

Van Berry Miller

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

dssh...@direct.ca (Dave Shumka) wrote:

>Hi,

> How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).

>Thanks,
>Dave

Dude,

It's pronounced ing-vay. Hope this helps.

Van Miller
cybe...@mindspring.com

Scott Davey

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

Gee, I've always said, "young-wee".
There ain't no way to find out why a snorer can't hear himself snore."
Mark Twain

Anonymous X. Incognito

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

OH NO!!! NOT THIS "wingnut valvestem" THREAD AGAIN!!!!!!!
Note fake e-mail address is for preventing junk e-mail. Send replies to wolf...@provide.net

Chase White

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

Scott Davey (sco...@sfsu.edu) wrote:
: Gee, I've always said, "young-wee".

it's pronounced "Raymond Luxury Yacht."

no, no! wait! it's *spelled* "Raymond Luxury Yacht;" it's pronounced
"Throat Warbler Mangrove."

hope that clears things up.

- chase

Jammer

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

Van Berry Miller (cybe...@bham.mindspring.com) wrote:
: dssh...@direct.ca (Dave Shumka) wrote:

: >Hi,

: > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).

Actually it's "Wing-Nut". Or in some dialects "Ying-Yang" as in "Ying-Yang
Valve-Stem"...

Hector

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

I'm beginning to think that either Yngwie himself periodically
re-inserts this moronic thread to keep his name "out there", or,
alternatively, that its insertion is required of all members in the
by-laws of the "Yngwie is god" club.

C'mon, people! Can't we put this one in the FAQ and give it a rest?

Not that the above answer isn't a good one ;-),

Hector

-------------------------------------
Note: Return address is bogus as an anti-spam precaution.
E-mail received by invitation only.
-------------------------------------

Central Scrutinizer

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

Okay. I'm going to try a new approach here (and one that's obviously
alien to 90% of the contributers of this NG). I'm going to answer the
original question, without the obligatory bashing/flaming/or insults
which seem to be in vogue.

Yngwie is pronounced - Ing-vay.

Is it *possible* that others follow suit? Hmmm. Methinks I'm asking
too much.

--

To reply, remove the pluses.

(I do this to avoid spam)

bo15hits

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97
to Praet...@usaor.net

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

> Okay. I'm going to try a new approach here (and one that's obviously
> alien to 90% of the contributers of this NG). I'm going to answer the
> original question, without the obligatory bashing/flaming/or insults
> which seem to be in vogue.
>
> Yngwie is pronounced - Ing-vay.

A nice Swedish lady told me it's pronounced INGooey

--
"###" TEFKAMBOOTEN (The Engineer Formerly Known As Mike Baker...
## Oops... Only "The Engineer" Now) mailto:di...@agt.net

Phuzzy

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

<HTML><BODY>
I love you.
<BR>
<BR>&quot;Ing-vay&quot; is the only way!
<BR>
<BR>Arn.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Central Scrutinizer wrote:&nbsp;

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Okay.&nbsp; I'm going to try a new approach here

(and one that's obviously

<BR>alien to 90% of the contributers of this NG).&nbsp; I'm going to answer
the
<BR>original question, without the obligatory bashing/flaming/or insults
<BR>which seem to be in vogue.
<BR>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yngwie is pronounced -&nbsp;
Ing-vay.
<BR>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is it *possible* that others
follow suit?&nbsp; Hmmm. Methinks I'm asking
<BR>too much.
<BR>
<BR><I>&gt;&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt;&gt; : &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; How is Yngwie pronounced?&nbsp;
(Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).</I>
<BR><I>&gt;&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt;&gt; Actually it's &quot;Wing-Nut&quot;. Or in some dialects &quot;Ying-Yang&quot;
as in &quot;Ying-Yang</I>
<BR><I>&gt;&gt; Valve-Stem&quot;...</I>
<BR>
<BR><I>&gt;I'm beginning to think that either Yngwie himself periodically</I>
<BR><I>&gt;re-inserts this moronic thread to keep his name &quot;out there&quot;,
or,</I>
<BR><I>&gt;alternatively, that its insertion is required of all members in
the</I>
<BR><I>&gt;by-laws of the &quot;Yngwie is god&quot; club.</I>
<BR>
<BR><I>&gt;C'mon, people! Can't we put this one in the FAQ and give it a rest?</I>
<BR>
<BR><I>&gt;Not that the above answer isn't a good one ;-),</I>
<BR>
<BR><I>&gt;Hector</I>
<BR>
<BR><I>&gt;-------------------------------------</I>
<BR><I>&gt;Note: Return address is bogus as an anti-spam precaution.</I>
<BR><I>&gt;E-mail received by invitation only.</I>
<BR><I>&gt;-------------------------------------</I>
<BR>
<BR>--
<BR>
<BR>To reply, remove the pluses.
<BR>
<BR>(I do this to avoid spam)
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>--&nbsp;
<BR>-------------------------------&nbsp;
<BR>So far from home,&nbsp;
<BR>Don't know what's right.&nbsp;
<BR>Don't know where to go,&nbsp;
<BR>Don't know where to hide.&nbsp;
<BR>-------------------------------&nbsp;
<BR>(c) 1997 Phuzzy Productions&nbsp;
<BR>All rights reserved&nbsp;
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>

NAS0066

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

It's pronounced ASS-HOLE
Please go:

http://members.aol.com/NAS0066/erek.html

hal...@primenet.com

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

RIGHT ON!!!!

nor...@grove.ufl.edu

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

> > : > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).

> I'm beginning to think that either Yngwie himself periodically
> re-inserts this moronic thread to keep his name "out there", or,

> alternatively, that its insertion is required of all members in the

> by-laws of the "Yngwie is god" club.

So....ummm...how is it pronounced?

(I've never even heard a song by this dude, but now I'm all curious about
his name)

Terry

Stevie Mark Nielsen

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

On 7 Mar 1997 07:45:31 GMT, pwi...@hondo.cyberverse.com (Jammer)
wrote:

>Van Berry Miller (cybe...@bham.mindspring.com) wrote:
>: dssh...@direct.ca (Dave Shumka) wrote:
>
>: >Hi,
>

>: > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).
>

>Actually it's "Wing-Nut". Or in some dialects "Ying-Yang" as in "Ying-Yang
>Valve-Stem"...

Or Wee-wee.

Mike Rejsa

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

you can pronounce it any way you want, as long as you say it *really*
fast with lots and lots of syllables.

mi...@primenet.com
<This signature intentionally left blank>

Brian Casstevens

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97
I think Wayne and Garth pronounced it Schhhhwwinnnggg!

RamTazz

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:49:27 -0600, Brian Casstevens
<bcas...@imacs.com> wrote:
Rhymes with Stingray or OY-Vay.

Prnounce it any way you want, as long as you say it *really*

jsh

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

It's pronounced Fred. Seriously, it's pronounced ENGVAY.
--

j...@vnet.net

nor...@grove.ufl.edu wrote in article
<Pine.OSF.3.95.970318232859.5583A-100000@bay>...

> > > : > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen,
obviously).

Don Guardrail

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

niel...@ccmail.orst.edu (Stevie Mark Nielsen) wrote:
>On 7 Mar 1997 07:45:31 GMT, pwi...@hondo.cyberverse.com (Jammer)
>wrote:
>
>>Van Berry Miller (cybe...@bham.mindspring.com) wrote:
>>: dssh...@direct.ca (Dave Shumka) wrote:
>>
>>: >Hi,
>>
>>: > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).
>>
>>Actually it's "Wing-Nut". Or in some dialects "Ying-Yang" as in "Ying-Yang
>>Valve-Stem"...
>
>Or Wee-wee.

Actually, I checked with several reliable sources, and it's pronounced,
"cock rock bastard who just noodles around the fretboard like a retarded
80s spandex-wearing mallrat and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the
ground when it comes to playing real guitar"
Glad I could help.

--
Don Guardrail
Evil Master of All That Is Dark, Gloomy, Painful and/or Slightly

shredgod

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

nor...@grove.ufl.edu wrote:

> > > : > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).
>
> > I'm beginning to think that either Yngwie himself periodically
> > re-inserts this moronic thread to keep his name "out there", or,
> > alternatively, that its insertion is required of all members in the
> > by-laws of the "Yngwie is god" club.
>
> So....ummm...how is it pronounced?
>
> (I've never even heard a song by this dude, but now I'm all curious about
> his name)
>
> Terry
it's prononced "ying-veyh". It is a moronic thread, but Yngwie IS
god(well, one of them anyway). You shoulkd check out his stuff.

Shred

Adam Cook

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

On 22 Mar 1997 06:10:32 GMT, Don Guardrail
<xold...@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote:

>Actually, I checked with several reliable sources, and it's pronounced,
>"cock rock bastard who just noodles around the fretboard like a retarded
>80s spandex-wearing mallrat and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the
>ground when it comes to playing real guitar"
>Glad I could help.

How about "you're an asshole"? I don't even like Yngwie that much, but
that doesn't mean closed minded fools like you can tell people what
real guitar is.

adam

Fulltone

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

But how do you pronounce "ENGVAY"???

Paul Guy

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

> it's prononced "ying-veyh". It is a moronic thread, but Yngwie IS
> god(well, one of them anyway). You shoulkd check out his stuff.
>
> Shred

Actually it's pronounced "Ingwee" (no matter how many people claim it's
"As***le"). But Yngwie changed the spelling from the original Swedish
when he moved to the US, to make it easier for English-speaking folks to
pronounce... The original spelling is "Yngve", pronounced "Ing-veh" as
close as I can get it in English.

Hey, Shred, you're right. This *is* a moronic thread.

Paul

--
"I remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant." ;-)
Paul Guy Guitars (Handmade – Custom Shop – Repairs)

Alan Franks

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

nor...@grove.ufl.edu wrote:

> > > : > How is Yngwie pronounced? (Like Yngwie Malmsteen, obviously).
>
> > I'm beginning to think that either Yngwie himself periodically
> > re-inserts this moronic thread to keep his name "out there", or,
> > alternatively, that its insertion is required of all members in the
> > by-laws of the "Yngwie is god" club.
>
> So....ummm...how is it pronounced?
>
> (I've never even heard a song by this dude, but now I'm all curious about
> his name)
>
> Terry

I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."

:-)

-alan

BTW, I can't take credit for this joke... I saw it on this NG
about a year ago...

John Nash

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

In article <3336D7...@bigfoot.com>, Alan Franks <a...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> > I'm beginning to think that either Yngwie himself periodically
>> > re-inserts this moronic thread to keep his name "out there", or,
>> > alternatively, that its insertion is required of all members in the
>> > by-laws of the "Yngwie is god" club.
>>
>> So....ummm...how is it pronounced?
>>
>> (I've never even heard a song by this dude, but now I'm all curious about
>> his name)
>>
>> Terry
>
>I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
>his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."

I always thought that Yngwie was pronounced "Ritchie".

John Nash <j...@achilles.net> <http://www.achilles.net/~jhn>
"Duh Duh Duuuh. Duh Duh Duh-Duuuh. Duh Duh Duuuh. Duh-Duh."

Stevie Mark Nielsen

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:35:20 -0500, Alan Franks <a...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
>his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."
>

>:-)
>
>-alan
>
>BTW, I can't take credit for this joke... I saw it on this NG
>about a year ago...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ROTFLMAO!

Ah! Some second-hand jokes are just as good the second time! This one
sneaked up on me!

Stevie M N

Central Scrutinizer

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

Alan Franks <a...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
>his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."

>:-)

Ha ha ha. That was fuckin' hilarious.

>BTW, I can't take credit for this joke... I saw it on this NG
>about a year ago...

Jeez. I saw it every single day for the last 5 months. And who said
that originality was lost in the newsgroups? Hmmm. I can't wait
until the alternative/grunge thing is dead and buried. I'll be the
first to author a series of Cobain bashing jokes.
--
The Central Scrutinizer

To reply, remove the pluses

Racer

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

On 24 Mar 1997 18:28:02 -0500, j...@achilles.net (John Nash) wrote:

>>> So....ummm...how is it pronounced?
>>>
>>> (I've never even heard a song by this dude, but now I'm all curious about
>>> his name)
>>>
>>> Terry
>>

>>I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
>>his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."
>>

>I always thought that Yngwie was pronounced "Ritchie".
>

>John Nash <j...@achilles.net> <http://www.achilles.net/~jhn>
>"Duh Duh Duuuh. Duh Duh Duh-Duuuh. Duh Duh Duuuh. Duh-Duh."

Doesn't Yngwie rhyme with "Dick-Head" or Nit-Wit, or "I wanna be a
Deep Purple/Rainbow Clone!

The chap can't even go back to his own fucking country & make a
record... NOBODY wanted to work with him!

I Met that concieted SOB in the MID 80's when he was in Alcatrazz,
All speed, no brains!

Don't even THINK of Spamming!
Let that to Monty & the Boyz!

Thomas

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Stevie Mark Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:35:20 -0500, Alan Franks <a...@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
> >his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."
> >
> >:-)
> >
> >-alan

> >BTW, I can't take credit for this joke... I saw it on this NG
> >about a year ago...
>
> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ROTFLMAO!
>
> Ah! Some second-hand jokes are just as good the second time! This one
> sneaked up on me!
>
> Stevie M N

Hey I'm from Yngwies homecountry and I can confirm that here in Sweden
we really do pronounce it "W-A-N-K-E-R."

It's true! :)

Thomas

Don Guardrail

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

I tell you what-go fuck yourself. While you're at it, go to the mall and
buy a fucking sense of humor, dickhead.

Don Guardrail

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

Praetorian+@usaor.+net+ (Central Scrutinizer) wrote:
>Alan Franks <a...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

>>I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
>>his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."
>
>>:-)
>
> Ha ha ha. That was fuckin' hilarious.
>
>>BTW, I can't take credit for this joke... I saw it on this NG
>>about a year ago...
>
> Jeez. I saw it every single day for the last 5 months. And who said
>that originality was lost in the newsgroups? Hmmm. I can't wait
>until the alternative/grunge thing is dead and buried. I'll be the
>first to author a series of Cobain bashing jokes.
>--
>The Central Scrutinizer

Fuck it, why wait?

RANDYFAN1

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

You people suck!i bet you all would kill to have yngwies technical
skill.Just because you cant play blazing 64th note runs isnt yngwies
fault.

Hector

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

No, but the quote "Steve Morse has no fu**ing vibrato...he should be
playing fu**ing banjo" is undeniably his fault. Just remember, as you
wipe Yngwie's goo off your chin, that you can't keep people from knowing
*all* the truths you'd rather weren't true. That said, listen to whoever
you like. Be my guest. Personally, I'd suck *your* dick to play like
John McLaughlin. You can have Yngwie all to yourself.

Hector

-------------------------------------

Note: Return address is bogus as an anti-spam precaution.

E-mail received by invitation only.

-------------------------------------

RANDYFAN1

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

I didnt say yngwie wasnt as ass,just said i liked his playing.

RamTazz

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

On 31 Mar 1997 19:01:58 GMT, rand...@aol.com (RANDYFAN1) wrote:

>You people suck!i bet you all would kill to have yngwies technical
>skill.Just because you cant play blazing 64th note runs isnt yngwies
>fault.

The issue is He has an attitude problem, not that we can't or don't
want to play 64th notes, it's just that you can play one note & sound
as cool as a kazillion 64ths in a row.

Hype sucks! Music Talks!

mil...@dbeach.com

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

How do you know Yngwie has an attitude problem? Do you know him
personaly or is it something that you read somewhere? If there's
someone here in this news group that plays better than Yngwie, please
let me know, I'd like to here your latest CD and read what all the major
guitar magazines have to say about you!

Ronnie

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

RANDYFAN1 wrote:

> You people suck!i bet you all would kill to have yngwies technical
> skill.Just because you cant play blazing 64th note runs isnt yngwies
> fault.

"Ying-Wee" ain't shit, Les Paul would smoke him!

Doug

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

The classic silly thread that comes along every few months. It serves
two purposes:

1. Argument among musicians about how Malmsteen is god, or that he
sucks.

2. Funny ways to mispronounce his name, as to ridicule his guitar
playing style.

I thank the author for not splattering this post all over the other
news groups.

clo...@wartech.com

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Ah, give the guy a LITTLE credit. He makes tuneless noise with his fingers faster
than anyone I've heard in a while. By the way, it's not pronounced "Ying-Wee". I
say his name the French way "Oui-Oui" which, in American, is "Wee-Wee" :-)

Mats Stafström

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

>>>I think the common pronunciation is "ING-VAY", but I think in
>>>his native tongue it is pronounced "W-A-N-K-E-R."
>>>BTW, I can't take credit for this joke... I saw it on this NG
>>>about a year ago...
Let愀 use the english word "very" to let you know how the swedish name
Yngwie is pronounced. Actually it愀 spelled Yngve but when Mr. Malmsteen
became international he wanted to be a little special so he changed it to
Yngwie. I also think he added an e in his surname which is usually spelled
Malmsten.

However, the "Y" in his name is pronounced like the last y in very,
the "ng", no problem, like in song,
and the last wie like the "ve" in very.

I have never seen anyone spell that name in any other way than Yngve
but since it愀 a rather silly name in Sweden, hardly anyone under 40 yrs is
called Yngve, I guess he wanted to spell in a cooler way.

There you扉e got your native tongue.(=Swedish)

Sentinela Eletricos

Oct 25, 2022, 6:42:36 AM10/25/22
omg, emails from 1997 I never saw this before

Willie Whittaker is a Putin Cock Sucker

Oct 29, 2022, 7:15:57 PM10/29/22
On 10/25/22 05:42, Sentinela Eletricos wrote:
> omg, emails from 1997 I never saw this before

I am the most important person here.

Yngwie is a washed up , loser .

Life Is A Dream

Nov 23, 2022, 10:52:40 PM11/23/22
On 10/29/22 19:15, Willie Whittaker is a Putin Cock Sucker wrote:
> I am the most important person here.
>
> Yngwie is a washed up , loser .

Yngwie could smoke you in a Crossroads, Ralph Macchio-vs-Steve Vai
guitar duel.

Life Is A Dream

Nov 23, 2022, 10:59:00 PM11/23/22
I've always heard it pronounced "ing-knee", but that doesn't mean it's
the correct way.

Willie Whittaker is a Putin Cock Sucker <NoEmail@void.net>

Nov 28, 2022, 12:22:17 AM11/28/22
On 11/23/22 21:52, Life Is A Dream wrote:

>> Yngwie is a washed up , loser .
>
> Yngwie could smoke you in a Crossroads, Ralph Macchio-vs-Steve Vai
> guitar duel.

Never -

They don't make a guitar strap long enough to wrap around his fat-ass

JNugent

Dec 27, 2022, 7:42:19 AM12/27/22
On 24/11/2022 03:58 am, Life Is A Dream wrote:

> I've always heard it pronounced "ing-knee", but that doesn't mean it's
> the correct way.

ISTR that "Guitar Player" magazine, in their column devoted to up and
coming guitarists, before Yngwie was the star he became, explained that
the pronunciations was [for English speakers] "Ing-Vay".