Songs with C-Am-F-G ?

Taciturn

Apr 21, 2001, 12:11:24 AM4/21/01
C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
fun?

taciturn

Darren Teale

Apr 21, 2001, 1:36:42 AM4/21/01
I think Bryan Adams 'Coming Back to You' uses this progression.

Steve

Apr 21, 2001, 2:31:53 AM4/21/01
There were loads in the 60s & 70s that followed that progression in one key
or another.....
Teenager in love
Blue Moon
I Believe
Take Good Care of My Baby
and others that can be segued together

"Darren Teale" <tea...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Brad

Apr 21, 2001, 5:06:30 AM4/21/01

"Taciturn" <taci...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I think Paul McCartney's "Young Boy" uses that chord progression. Though now
I think of it, there may be an Em in there somewhere. C-Am-Em-F-G. Not sure.

Andrew C

Apr 21, 2001, 5:13:39 AM4/21/01

> I think Paul McCartney's "Young Boy" uses that chord progression. Though
now
> I think of it, there may be an Em in there somewhere. C-Am-Em-F-G. Not
sure.

'Drugs Don't Work' by the Verve has that exact progression in the verse.

I think 'Better Be Home Soon' by Crowded House has C-Am-F-G.

Andrew C

Tim Wilson

Apr 21, 2001, 11:17:23 AM4/21/01
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight has the same chords, but its Am-F-C-G

Dunno if that was what you wanted but I just thought I had to add it

... woooww !! I can now play Blue Moon! Thanx for adding this lil thingy -
its been really helpful

.. now can anyone help me on this solo on Daft Punk - Aerodynamic??

Thanx
Tim WIlson

The Gamp

Apr 21, 2001, 11:34:19 AM4/21/01
"You're Gonna Kill That Girl" by the Ramones transposed the progression
(A-F#m-D-E), though I don't think Johnny ever learned how to play a minor

Gamp
R.I.P. Joey

Dupester

Apr 21, 2001, 12:11:20 PM4/21/01

> ... woooww !! I can now play Blue Moon! Thanx for adding this lil thingy -
> its been really helpful

bomiddabomb abombidomb domb, addibombdiddabomb a danga dang dang a dinga dong ding...
BLUE MOON!
:)

Trench

Apr 21, 2001, 12:26:12 PM4/21/01
Hmmm... I think lovin' spoonful's Daydream has these changes... it's either an
Am or an A.

-Trench

Justin Kelly

Apr 21, 2001, 3:28:33 PM4/21/01
Taciturn wrote:

For a crowd pleaser you can switch the Am and G and get Stairway to heaven.
. .

C G
F Am
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke throught he threes,

C G F Am
and the voices of those who stand looking

Jeff Vasey

Apr 21, 2001, 4:49:58 PM4/21/01
Actually the Crowded House tune is C Am Em G
But Stand By Me, and Oh Donna are the C Am F G
Jeff

Taciturn

Apr 21, 2001, 5:19:16 PM4/21/01

Don't stop adding to the list, please, but here are some more I can
think of off-hand to build up the list, since you all seem to be gettin'
into it (mostly oldies):

Young Love, First Love (They say for every boy and girl)
Why Must I be A Teenager in Love? (Dion)
Where Oh Where Can My Baby Be? (I was out on a date in my Daddy's car)
The Bristol Stomp
The Duke of Earl
Who Put the Bomp in the Bomp-Shi-Bomp-Shi-Bomp?
Santa Catalina (the Island of Romance, Romance, Romance, Romance)
The Three Fishes (Poop-Poop-Dittum-Dattum-Wattum-Shoo)
Lollipop
A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation
Will You Love Me Tomorrow? (Tonight's the night - the Shirelles)
I Was a Fool (Poor little fool, oh yeah, I was a Fool ...)
Come Softly to Me (Dom, dom, domby, doo, domby, doobie, doo ...)

(If ya just start strummin it and changin the beat and rhythm others
tend to come to ya)

taciturn

Dupester

Apr 21, 2001, 7:37:09 PM4/21/01
Another oldie, "STill of the Night"

RustedWyre

Apr 21, 2001, 7:54:19 PM4/21/01
A led zepplin tune "D'yer Maker uses those chords in a reggae stylee.
steve

Alex Ivanoff

Apr 22, 2001, 8:05:28 AM4/22/01
POLICE - So lonely (from the "Outlandos d'amour" album afair)

Woody

Apr 22, 2001, 12:53:57 PM4/22/01
For the Country folks...how about Dwight Yoakam's Thousand Miles From
nowhere...

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:11:24 GMT, Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net>

Hypnagogue

Apr 22, 2001, 1:50:18 PM4/22/01
C-Am-F-G, aka the "Oldies Progression," can also be played in the key of G --
G-Em-C-D -- according to "Guitar for Dummies," which also provides a list of
such songs:

All I Have to Do is Dream
Blue Moon
Breaking Up is Hard to Do
Come Go With Me
Dream Lover
Duke of Earl
Earth Angel
Heart and Soul
Hey Paula
In the Still of the Night
Little Darlin'
Poor Little Fool
Runaround Sue
Sherry
Silhouettes

Take Good Care of My Baby

Tears on My Pillow
Teenager in Love
What's Your Name
Why Do Fools Fall in Love?
You Send Me

Loath to admit I own "Guitar For Dummies" but wanting to give credit where it's
due,
--Hyp

Alexander Lange

Apr 22, 2001, 2:07:15 PM4/22/01

Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Santa Baby.

Alexander

Alex Ivanoff

Apr 22, 2001, 2:11:53 PM4/22/01
>C-Am-F-G, aka the "Oldies Progression," can also be played in the key of
G --
>G-Em-C-D -- according to "Guitar for Dummies," which also provides a list
of
>such songs:

One more written by the Police - Every breath you take
It goes something like Gadd9 Emadd9 Cadd9 Dadd9 but in fact this is the
same thing :-))

kitch

Apr 22, 2001, 4:10:34 PM4/22/01
Or also police "Every Breath You Take"

G Em C D with added ninths

"Alex Ivanoff" <vodka_...@mtu-net.ru> wrote in message

Luke

Apr 22, 2001, 9:20:04 PM4/22/01
a couple more....

No Woman No Cry
Purple Rain

Tim

Apr 22, 2001, 9:35:58 PM4/22/01
"The Thin Ice" from Pink Floyd uses C-Am-F-G for the verses, and the "ooooh
babe" part is just:

C-G-F-C-Am
C-G-F-C-Am
C-G-F-C-Am-D7-G

Fun song and impressive, especially if you can hit that high G.
Awesome thread, btw.

Tom Young

Apr 23, 2001, 8:19:44 AM4/23/01
This is a I-VIm-IV-V progression (if anyone asks!)

Gladys Knight & the Pips use it extensively, but not exclusively, in
Midnight Train to Georgia.
Same with the Pretenders in "I'll Stand by You".

--Torpedoman

"Tim" <timharr...@home.com> wrote in message

Big Mike

Apr 23, 2001, 10:05:56 AM4/23/01
"One" by U2 as well!!

Taciturn

Apr 23, 2001, 10:03:17 AM4/23/01

Yet another oldy:
Diana (Paul Anka) (I'm so young and you're so old...)

The Gamp

Apr 23, 2001, 12:27:15 PM4/23/01
"Unity Love" by Bugout Society

Rackham

Apr 22, 2001, 2:26:58 PM4/22/01
hi folks

in french it's called "l'anatole"

not only rock&roll

ea : "la mer" of charles trenet

michel

Alex Northrup

Apr 23, 2001, 4:35:09 PM4/23/01
The Beatles' "This Boy" (transposed to D, verses only)
The Four Seasons' "Sherry" (verses only)
J. Frank Wilson & the Cavalier's or Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" (transposed to
E)
The Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself" (I think)
Buffalo Springfield's "Sit Down I Think I Love You" (might be slightly
different)

That's all I can think of for now.

-Alex

Tilman Heckel

Apr 23, 2001, 7:28:12 PM4/23/01
Hi all!

Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> C-Am-F-G

Um... What about 'Stand by me'?
Til

--
He who loses his head is usually the last one to miss it.

Taciturn

Apr 23, 2001, 8:16:54 PM4/23/01
Taciturn wrote:

> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

This has got to be the "Grandaddy" of all the Rock and Roll songs, at
least it was the first of the black songs to get air play and covered by
the Crew Cuts, thanks to Alan Freed, perhaps this is why so many of the
C-Am-F-G (or other transpositions) came about: Shaboom, Shaboom
(Sh-boom: Life could be a dream, sweetheart!)

Taciturn

Apr 23, 2001, 10:58:31 PM4/23/01
Here's another salvo:

Runaround Sue (Dion)
Lollypop (The Chordettes)
I Will Follow Him (Little Peggy March)
Georgie Girl by the Seekers
My Special Angel (Bobby Helms)
Johnny Angel (Shelly Fabares) (I think)
Sleep Walk (Steel Guitar instrumental, you can whistle on this segue)
Goodnight My Love (Pleasant Dreams) ...and sleep tight, my love

EFr1048165

Apr 24, 2001, 8:31:08 AM4/24/01
how bout the verse section to why can't this be love by van halen...

Greg Morgan

Apr 24, 2001, 5:17:20 PM4/24/01
the passenger - iggy pop Am F C G, Am F C E

Taciturn

Apr 24, 2001, 11:45:56 PM4/24/01
Taciturn wrote:

> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

And the hits just kept on comin' with tonights load:

(You got me) Singin' the Blues (Guy Mitchell) is close (no cigar)
Soldier Boy (The Shirelles)
Rubber Ball (I come bouncin' back to you - Bobby Vee)
If I Had a Hammer (Trini Lopez, Peter Paul & Mary)
Johnny Get Angry and Sukiyaki are close (no cigar)
Put Your Head on My Shoulder (Paul Anka)
One Fine Day (you're gonna want me for your girl) The Shirelles
Oh, What a Night (late December back in 63) Four Seasons
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Dusty Springfield) might be.
Is this?: Raindrops (so many raindrops, fallin from my eyes) Dee Clark
Wonderful World (Don't know much about history) Sam Cooke

Joanne Adam

Apr 26, 2001, 11:29:37 PM4/26/01
Duke of Earl is another classic w/ the same progression.
The Crow

RG959

Apr 29, 2001, 12:08:12 AM4/29/01
Crocodile Rock

RG

Remove "NoSpam" to reply...

On the web at:
www.geocities.com/rg959/index.html

Greg Morgan

May 2, 2001, 5:24:03 PM5/2/01
try d'yer mak'er by led zep

Rectified216

May 2, 2001, 7:38:23 PM5/2/01
Easily by the Red Hot Chili Peppers goes Am-Dm-F-Am

>Subject: Re: Songs with C-Am-F-G ?
>From: Greg Morgan gregm...@btinternet.com
>Date: 5/2/01 5:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time

harder

May 7, 2001, 12:44:29 AM5/7/01
try foo fighters big me

Cameron Horn

May 7, 2001, 2:18:53 AM5/7/01
Try Bryan Adams, 'Back to You'
"Greg Morgan" <gregm...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

morganshi...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2014, 1:05:35 PM8/4/14
On Saturday, April 21, 2001 12:11:23 AM UTC-4, Taciturn wrote:
> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

Twist and Shout by the Beatles uses C-F-G the entire song.

danib...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 4:13:45 PM5/11/15
Welcome to my life by simple plan

danib...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 4:13:46 PM5/11/15

danib...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 4:14:22 PM5/11/15

danib...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 4:14:24 PM5/11/15

danib...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 4:14:24 PM5/11/15

vero...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2015, 1:25:18 AM6/12/15
Have you ever seen the rain. CCR.

vero...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2015, 1:26:17 AM6/12/15
Hace you ever seen the rain. CCR

alwed...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2015, 1:34:00 AM7/5/15
On Saturday, April 21, 2001 at 5:11:23 AM UTC+1, Taciturn wrote:
> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over kinda fits... but they start in F, so it's F G C Am

And the one Marty McFly is playing in Back To The Future when he starts to fade, then recovers when George finds his balls :)

alwed...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2015, 1:45:07 AM7/5/15
On Saturday, April 21, 2001 at 5:11:23 AM UTC+1, Taciturn wrote:
> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

A bit more recently, Gary Barlow used it on the verses of Let Me Go

gilbe...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2016, 10:13:50 AM2/3/16
On Friday, April 20, 2001 at 11:11:24 PM UTC-5, Taciturn wrote:
> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

Thanks so much........ This is going to be the longest medly in history!
THE audience is going to love it. 32 songs, one line each!

kurt....@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2016, 1:11:32 AM10/2/16
On Saturday, April 21, 2001 at 12:11:24 AM UTC-4, Taciturn wrote:
> C-Am-F-G was a popular progression in a lot of rock and roll songs. Its
> kind of fun to segue from one song to another sometimes tripping over
> songs like "Angel Baby" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" on the way. How
> about starting a little list here of some that y'all might know just for
> fun?
>
> taciturn

Octopus's Garden - Beatles

germa...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2017, 11:57:07 PM4/12/17
"Blank Space" by Taylor Swift, but in F-Dm-Bb-C, 2 measures each!

Steven Andriulaitis

Apr 7, 2021, 7:27:45 AM4/7/21
The G-Em-C-D chord progression was mentioned above.
The song that instantly came to mind is Tired of Toein' the Line by Rocky Burnette.
This thread is great. It's been fun to follow along!