TOP 5 DRUMMERS

Kierstead, Chris

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

HomerPeter wrote:

> Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a drum
> kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings, here
> we go. Here's my list:
>
> 1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
> 2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
> 3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
> 4) John Densmore (Doors)
> 5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
>
> What do you think?

Not bad, but these five are better.
1) Terry Bozzio: Through genre-breaking ventures with Frank Zappa,
Missing Persons, Bozzio&Hymas, Terry Bozio has proven himself to be one
of drummings most uniquely motivated, creative, and skilled
individuals. Globally renowned for his peerless technique and
ever-challenging approach to playing, he is a uniquely sensitive and
powerful performer. With his current direction advancing the concept of
the ostinato drum concept beyond recognition, Terry Bozzio continues to
epitomize the "drummer as artist" while garnering overall ovations at
every major drum festival in the world.

2) Simon Phillips: Is by far one of the world's most renowned and
respected drummers. As a native of London, England, Simon's
professional musical career bagan at an early age of twelve, performing
and recording with his father's Dixieland band until he turned sixteen.
Simon Phillips' musical career has been nothing short of
brilliant. To date he has toured and recorded with many bands and
artists including: Mick Jagger, The Who, Jeff Beck, Jack Bruce, Tears
for Fears, Judas Priest, Roxy Music, Michael Schenker, Heaven 17, Nik
Kershaw, Phd., Al DiMeola, 801, Pete Townshend, 10CC, Human League, Russ
Ballard, Robert Palmer, Stanley Clarke, The Pretenders, Jon Anderson,
Whitesnake and Dave Gilmore.
Simon has also produced a number of European artists and has
co-produced and engineered three albums with British composer Mike
Oldfield (of Tubular Bells fame); Crises, Discovery, and Islands.
1997 saw the formation of "Symbiosis", Simon's solo band, and a
European Tour in January/Febuary. After the completion of this tour
Simons took the band into the studio to record "Another Lifetime".

3) Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez: Internationally renowned
recording artist, Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez was born in Havana, Cuba,
into a family rich with musical heritage deeply rooted traditional Cuban
music and well versed in American Jazz currents. His own talent bacame
evident early; at twelve, the prestigious Escuela Naclonal de Arte
accepted "El Negro", where he majored in drums and percussion. Therehe
studied with the finest Cuban teachers, including Faust Garcia Rivers,
himself a student of Lawrence Stone and Henry Akler, Evrique Pla, the
drummer for the ground breaking group "Irakere" and Santiago Reiter, the
most influential teacher of modern Cuban drums and percussion.
In 1980, "El Negro", joined Cuban pianist and composer Gonzalo
Rubalcaba's innovative group, "Proyecto". He played, toured and
recorded with the group for ten years. Although he continued to work
and record with the best Cuban and international musicians, including
Dizzie Gillespie's United Nations Orchestra, it was with Rubalca that he
developed; his distinct drumming style, the potent mixture of Afro-Cuban
and Jazz elements that has made him an artist of extraordinary power and
musical versatility.
In addition, he is a member of the faculties of the Drummer's
Collective and the new School in New York and regularly conducts clinics
and workshops at the prestigious Berklee School of Music in Boston and
the Stanford University Jazz Workshop in Palo Alto.

4) Matt Cameron: As half of the rhythym section for the mighty
Soundgarden, Matt has been a driving force on taday's music scene.
Playing since a very early age Matt has pursed his passion for the drums
which brought him to Seattle's vibrant music scene in 1983. In Seattle
Matt met many kindred spirits and found the city to be fertile with
musicians making their own music. Matt had no trouble finding gigs and
was playing in a band called Skin Yard around 1985 when he first heard
the coolest band on the Seattle scene, Soundgarden. Matt joined the
band in 1986. Matt's impressive and powerful style has motivated a new
era of young drummers. Since the demise of Soundgarden in 1997, Matt
has been working as session player, producer and is working with new
bands such as Wellwater Conspiracy, Hater, and Cavedweller. At present
he is in the studio, recording with the Smashing Pumpkins.

5) Tom Brechtlein: Born in East Meadow, Long Island, New York on
May 10th, 1957. Tom picked up his first pair of drumsticks at the age
of 5 after seeing marching bands at a Memorial Day Parade in which his
father participated. It was the drum section in the marching band that
excitedyoung Tom. A short time after this, his next influence was Ringo
Starr after seeing him perform with the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show,
that capped his desire to perform as a drummer.
Fortunately, East Meadow High School, which he attended, had an
incredible music faculty, department that encouraged his talents and
brought them to fruition. He became the youngest player in the High
School history to participate in the Jazz Ensemble A Band, for 3 years
running. During his performances with the Jazz Ensemble he received the
prestigious NAJE award for Musical Excellence.
In 1980, Tom moved to Los Angeles to further his recording &
touring career. This proved to be a successful action. Said Brechtlein
"I wasn't sure if it would be right to leave New York, it was a little
scary for me but Chick had moved out there and since I was still working
with him, it felt like the right thing to do. Which it was, as a short
time later I met my wife and it all fell into place". Tom went full
team ahead and developed a name for himself in the touring and recording
areas.
In 1988, Tom joined Robben Ford's band and afterseveral years of
touring the band bacame a trio with Ford on guitar and Roscoe Beck on
bass. They signed a recording contract with Stretch Records in 1992 and
their first release was issued in September of 1992 entitled "Robben
Ford & the Blue Line". This recording and their 2nd release of 1995
"Mystic Mile" received a Grammy Nomination. Their 3rd album "Handful of
Blues" also received acclaim and success in 1996.
The band is currently on tour on a double bill with Steve
Miller throughout the United States.

You asked for it. Hopefully, you'll here these guys, and change your
mind.
Cheers, Kidd.

Reviews taken from the program for the: Vancouver International
Drum Festival.

Wretch

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Amame25 wrote:

> >Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a drum
> >kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings, here
> >we go. Here's my list:
> >
> >1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
> >2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
> >3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
> >4) John Densmore (Doors)
> >5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
> >
> >What do you think?
> >

> can anyone say Neil Peart??? Not to say there aren't some quality drummers on
> this list, but he blows everyone of them out of the water!

You guys really ought to account for the style of rock being played.
In a rock n' roll band like The Who, Neil Peart would stink; Keith
Moon's wild intuition and feverous banging would blow him out of
the water. If you're talking about ridiculous artsy-rock bands like
Rush, for whom drummers are allowed to masturbate before an audience
for a half hour, then Peart's your man.

AC

HomerPeter

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

Amame25

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

can anyone say Neil Peart??? Not to say there aren't some quality drummers on

Doh

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

HomerPeter wrote:

> Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a drum
> kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings, here
> we go. Here's my list:
>
> 1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
> 2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
> 3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
> 4) John Densmore (Doors)
> 5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
>
> What do you think?

Impressive list. I don't usually respond to these "Who's your Fave?"
entries (nothin' against 'em, but there are so many, usually newbies...
no offense).

Here you go: (not necessarily in order. I'm not good with "favorites")

Neil Peart (Rush)
Bonzo (Zeppelin)
Carter Beauford (DMB)
Kenny Aranoff (John Mellencamp, and a host of others)
Dude in Green Day (man, he can smack!!)

Well, I wanted to go on, but that's 5. I repeated 2 of yours, but they
were good. I might add, I don't know this dude's name, but there is
(was? hope they're still at it) a band in the KY/TN area called "Lark
Watts and Rattleshake" (yes, "shake", not "snake"). Every damn body in
that band is TOPS! (Incl. the drummer, to stay on subject) but the
guitar player rules. Straight Fender and Gibson, with a Dobro on the
side. Blues Heaven. (No, it ain't me.) I saw them at a contest called
Decent Exposure that 98.1 WKQQ (oops, now 100.1) holds every year.
They then played on Memorial Day at a local festival. 38 Special also
played. As did Webb Wilder. (Sorry Webb, but...) "Rattleshake" smoked
every pro and sent 'em home cryin'!

Rock On!
--
It is merely a lust of the blood and a permission of the will.

--- Iago- William Shakespare's Othello

Greg Lentz

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

Wretch <a...@astro.columbia.edu> wrote:

: Amame25 wrote:
: >
: > >Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a drum
: > >kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings, here
: > >we go. Here's my list:
: > >
: > >1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
: > >2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
: > >3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
: > >4) John Densmore (Doors)
: > >5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
: > >
: > >What do you think?

: > >
: > >
: >
: > can anyone say Neil Peart??? Not to say there aren't some quality drummers on

: > this list, but he blows everyone of them out of the water!

:
:
: You guys really ought to account for the style of rock being played.

: In a rock n' roll band like The Who, Neil Peart would stink; Keith
: Moon's wild intuition and feverous banging would blow him out of
: the water.

Actually, Moon was one of Peart's major influences.

: If you're talking about ridiculous artsy-rock bands like

: Rush, for whom drummers are allowed to masturbate before an audience
: for a half hour, then Peart's your man.

Actually, a lot of Moon's playing could be categorized as the same. Frankly, I
think Peart would fit very nicely into a band like the Who. But that's neither
here nor there.

FWIW, I like #1 and 2 from this list. Peart, maybe #3, just cause I think the
other two have more personality in their playing. I can't really make a good
nomination for 4 and 5 if we're considering just rock drummers - there are some
very good jazz drummers who I don't think apply to this kind of a list.
Somebody posted Matt Cameron, which I think is a very good nomination. He has a
real original sound. Other guys I like include the original Pearl Jam drummer,
Dave Grohl, Clive Burr (original Iron Maiden drummer), and Tre Cool (drummer for
Green Day, who has a cool sound all his own).

Greg Lentz

Bob Nolan

Eric Schnoor

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

How can any of you forget Tim "herb" Alexender? Ex primus drumer, I'd (I
know it's blasphamy) put him up there with bonzo, he's got some of the
quickest most complex rythems I've heard. Just to give Pert his props, he
was severely influenced by rush.

Doh wrote in message <34CF6F...@im.receivin>...

>HomerPeter wrote:
>>
>> Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a
drum
>> kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings,
here
>> we go. Here's my list:
>>
>> 1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
>> 2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
>> 3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
>> 4) John Densmore (Doors)
>> 5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
>>
>> What do you think?

TaK

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

What about Grohl???....He is the #1 drummer ever hands down
TaK

Bob Nolan <bno...@nortel.ca> wrote in article
<6ansbg$g...@bmerhc5e.bnr.ca>...

> Amame25 (ama...@aol.com) wrote:
> : >Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at
a drum
> : >kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist
postings, here
> : >we go. Here's my list:
> : >
> : >1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
> : >2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
> : >3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
> : >4) John Densmore (Doors)
> : >5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
> : >
> : >What do you think?

Amame25

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

>What about Grohl???....He is the #1 drummer ever hands down
>TaK

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!! Better than Neal Peart????? man lay off
the dope!

spud

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

Can't resist replying-

Keith Moon, Keith Moon, Keith Moon, Keith Moon- drives the band,
musical, wild but on the beat, and an equal member of a musical triangle

Grant Hart- Husker Du, Nova Mob- speed, precision with a real thump, and
while singing too.

Did else anyone think to mention Max Roach, Gene Krupa, Bill Bruford
(Yes, King Crimson)?

I also agree with one poster who mentioned Green Day's Tre Cool- very
tight, powerful.

Ringo Starr may not have been a great drummer, but he was musical and
fit the Beatle's format, and lot's of his drumming is pretty memorable,
simple yet tasteful, very direct, maybe one would say economical and
fitting.

Stacy & Allan

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

HomerPeter wrote:

> Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a drum
> kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings, here
> we go. Here's my list:
>
> 1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
> 2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
> 3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
> 4) John Densmore (Doors)
> 5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
>
> What do you think?

How could you leave out Neil Peart of Rush.
How about Stewart Copeland of the Police.
Even Phil Collins.

Dan-Robin Hansen

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Try listen to Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater
Amame25 skrev i meldingen <19980128233...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Iwillearn2

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Alright here are my top five drummers
They are in no particular order so.... :

1. John Bohnam
2. Mitch Mitchell (from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, being overshadowed by
Hendrix didn't help him much, but he is a really good drummer)
3. Dave Grohl (yes, i know you're probably asking why, but he is pretty damn
good, just listen to some good Nirvana)
4. Lars Ulrich (he's good, no matter what anyone says)
5. Last but not least, i'm gonna have to go with, Vinnie Paul from Pantera
(listen to them live and you will be amazed at what this man can do)

Honorable Mention :
Bill Ward
I though of him last but he reall does deserve some credit, he's is pretty
good, same to the drummers from the Grateful Dead, Phish and Rusted Root, they
are really awesome, too bad i can't think of their names right now

Martin Stone

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Stacy & Allan wrote in message <34CFF5...@atcon.com>...

I can't believe none of you have mentioned Cozy Powell!!!

Peasants.

C Ya's...

Benjamin Reed

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

I wasnt going to say it, but

1> charlie watts
2> keith moon
3> kenny jones
4> bloke from kingmaker
5>the one off the jimi hendrix experience

dirk nopper

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Well none of you mentioned Jeff Pocarno (Toto) or Steve Gadd, how disappointing
!

keith

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

at > > >> a drum kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10
guitarist postings,

Uhhh, Buddy Rich? The best drummer of all time IMHO, and I don't even like
jazz all that much.

Keith.

David Cline

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

1. Roland
2. Alesis
3. Linn
4. Yamaha
5. Peart

(Okay, maybe Omar Hakim or Bill Bruford)

The Evil Dr. Knave - not a fan of drummers

Robert Cooney

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

1. John Bonham
2. Dave Abbruzesse
3. Bill Ward
4. Anthony Lombardi
5. Mitch Mitchell

Matt Grimm

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

You're all forgetting Lars Ulrich (Metallica)!

> : > can anyone say Neil Peart??? Not to say there aren't some quality drummers on
> : > this list, but he blows everyone of them out of the water!

natu...@yahoo.com

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Can't resist this dumb topic. Plenty to argue about. All the drummers
people have named are great in some way. Here are my picks:

1) Elvin Jones (from the classic Coltrane quartet, easily the greatest
drummer ever) 2) Rat Scabies (from the Damned, he has an amazing,
completely unique sound) 3) Keith Moon (for pretty much inventing rock
drumming) 4) Mitch Mitchell (from the Hendrix experience, for taking the
Moon style even further) 5) Grant Hart (from Husker Du. someone else
named him, hadn't thought of him for a while, but he makes it for their
version of "eight miles high")

CHAOS

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

Top 5 :

1) Vinny Paul - PanterA

2) Dave Lambardo - Slayer

3) Neil Pert - Rush

4) Kieth Moon - The Who

5) Bill Ward - Black Sabbath

Peter Kuehn

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

-did someone mention Simon Phillips? If not - I DO!

Peter

dirk nopper wrote:

> Well none of you mentioned Jeff Pocarno (Toto) or Steve Gadd, how disappointing
> !
>
> Martin Stone wrote:
>
> > Stacy & Allan wrote in message <34CFF5...@atcon.com>...

> > drum
> > here

matiman2

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

i can't belive nobody is mentioning chad smith!!! he rules..
also lars urlich is fast and good...
i think stewart copeland (police) is a Hugh drummer in reggae and
rock...

Leslie Fissinger

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

HomerPeter wrote:

> Hey, what band would be complete without some maniac smashing away at a drum
> kit? So, being a drummer, in the vein of the top 10 guitarist postings, here
> we go. Here's my list:
>
> 1) Kieth Moon (the Loon) (The Who)
> 2) John (Bonzo) Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
> 3) Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
> 4) John Densmore (Doors)
> 5) Roger Taylor (Queen)
>
> What do you think?

Lets add Alex Van Halen to this list. Check out his work on "Hot for Teacher"

Randy Chang

Jan 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/30/98

eh...what the hell

no particular order, except for #1

1.) John Bonham
2.) Mitch Mitchell
3.) Steve Gorman
4.) Sean Kinney
5.) Neil Peart

HatsDomino

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

ok, here we go

1) Liberty DeVitto from Billy Joel
2) Ginger Baker from Cream
3) Steve Gadd (various artists)
4)Steve Smith from Journey
5)John Robinson (various artists)
6)Colin Bailey(session great)

runners up:
Matt Cameron
Tim Alexander
Carter Beauford

I don't wanna SEE dave Grohl on a list

BadHorsie9

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98
to Martin Stone

1) Neil Peart
2) Neil Peart
3) Neil Peart
4) Neil Peart
5) Neil Peart

Did I forget anyone? Ringo Starr maybe? :)

Amame25

Jan 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/31/98

Neil Peart good.. Ringo Starr Bad

Lester Long

Feb 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/1/98

In rough chronological order only:

Ginger Baker
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart

gb2...@cnsvax.albany.edu

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98
to matiman2

Ok, no matter who else you rate in your top 5 (and I'd be sure to include
Alex Van Halen, John Bonham, and Ginger Baker) your #1 of ALL time ALWAYS
has GOT to be Keith Moon of the Who. There was never anyone better, and
there NEVER will be.
-=Duke=-

-=-Don't mess with the S-=-

"A life without risk is a life not worth living"

SmokeDog

Feb 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/2/98

Maybe 5 is too small a list,

But dont forget Alex Van Halen, to shine behind Eddie's lead takes some work
and he does it flawlessly

much props to all others on the list and not mentioned

Chi...@tamu.edu

Feb 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/3/98

I play both drums and guitar. but drums have always been my fav.

here are 5 of my most favorite drummers. The aren't in any particular
order. I rate them by their tech and fills.

Lars (metallica)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
Clifford Beauford (Dave Matthews)
Vinnie Paul(Pantera)
Tommy Lee (the Crue)

Ron Barbour

Feb 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/3/98

Drums, now were talking...I too play both instruments. Guitar for about two
years and drums for about twenty.
Let's not forget about the professor Neil Peart --Rush.

The Cosmic Unit Ninja

Feb 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/3/98

Everone forgot Vinnie Colaiuda. He's good enough for Sting and Frank Zappa,
and good enough for me. Billy Martin of Medeski, Martin, and Wood has the
best fel for the groove I've ever seen, and the guy who plays with the
Charlie Hunter Quartet is the most musical I've seen except for Terry
Bozzio. The best listening drummer I know of is Jonh Fishman. My 2 cents

Stuart Carlton

"Everything goes with naked!"
-George Costanza

kar...@erols.com

Feb 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/5/98

gb2...@cnsvax.albany.edu wrote:

> Ok, no matter who else you rate in your top 5 (and I'd be sure to include
> Alex Van Halen, John Bonham, and Ginger Baker) your #1 of ALL time ALWAYS
> has GOT to be Keith Moon of the Who. There was never anyone better, and
> there NEVER will be.
> -=Duke=-

I AGREE 100% WITH YOU ON THIS ONE. NO ONE COMES CLOSE OR EVER WILL

ENaumann

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

What about Neil Peart. By far the best Rock and Roll drummer alive!!

Dan

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

In modern rock the top 5 drummers must be...

Quciksand's drummer
Sepultura's drummer
Dearly Beheaded's Drummer
Sensefield's drummer
Soundgarden's drummer

Dan

Jeff Levitt

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

Good...do they have names?

SBoura1009

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

I can't believe someone would actually say David Grohl is the best of all time.
He's good but not even in the top 25. There isn't a best but here's some of my
favorites:
Copeland (Police)
Ringo Starr
Mitchell (Hendrix)
Bonham
Lars Ulrich....
I was gonna say Neil Peart but he's too technical, no feel. I don't think he
"gets" it.

Bryan Hamill

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

David Grohl - powerful and fast

McNeill

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

sbour...@aol.com (SBoura1009) writes: > I can't believe someone would actually say David Grohl is the best of all time.

Starr was shit, Bonham was inevative (hey, but Grohl was too), Ulrich??nah..

Here's mine (rock drummers only)
In no order:

Jimmy Chamberlain (ex-Smashing Pumpkins)
The guy from Tool
Chad Smith (Chilli peppers)
Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
Matt Cameron (ex-Soundgarden)

Mr. Clinton

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

McNeill wrote:

Oh yea, Daney Carey is the drummer for Tool.

Horsepie

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

THE top 5 drummers of all time

1 John Bonham
2 Matt Cameron
3 Alex Van Halen
4 Lars Ulrich
5 Neal Peart

that's it!

[IQ] Tam

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

First of all, can we please excommunicate Lars Ulrich and his ego from
the music world? Did anybody see him on "Later"? What was that all
about?

Second,
here's the real list, in no particular order:
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Chamberlain
Mike "Puffy" Bordin
Stephen Perkins
Keith Moon (greatest all time, antics aside)

Horsepie wrote:

--

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/6433

TN

William F. Anzik, Jr.

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

I've read some great names here but I would like to add one name: Mel
Taylor, the late great drummer for the Ventures. He was fantastic.

bsm...@worldnet.att.net

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

"Mr. Clinton" <mn...@flash.net> wrote:

No one is going back far enough. The best drummer ever, hands down,
no doubt about it, is Zigaboo Modeliste from The Meters. Some of the
phatest/most original beats your ears will ever hear.

Funkybot

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

Here's a good list of the best Rock Drummer playing with bands (no solo
drummer's i.e. Virgil Dante etc) I'm not a drummer myself but these guys are
the one's who sound best to me.

1. Ginger Baker (Cream)

2. John Bohnam (Zeppelin)

3. Keith Moon (the Who)

4. Mitch Mitchell (Jimi I know someone's gonna bitch that he's too low but his
drumming is to close to Baker's style to be number one)

5. Joey Woranker (Beck's drummer very creative and versatile)

6. Russel Simmons (John Spencer Blues Explosion)

kar...@erols.com

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

Keith Moon is by far the best drummer ever and he will never be
dethroned

jonathan Lane

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

Excuse me. Has no one ever heard of Keith Moon from the Who. Dead now but
the greatest Fucking Drummer in rock history. Sorry for swearing but in his
prime he was the greatest drummer ever.

Alessandro Novarini

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

In article <34EBD3F7...@sprintmail.com>, "[IQ] Tam"
<mo...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

> Horsepie wrote:
>
> > THE top 5 drummers of all time
> >
> > 1 John Bonham
> > 2 Matt Cameron
> > 3 Alex Van Halen
> > 4 Lars Ulrich
> > 5 Neal Peart
> >
> > that's it!

Here's my best drummers list:

1 Mike Portnoy
2 Mark Zonder
3 Lars Ulrich
4 Scott Rockenfield
5 Simon Phillips

Atom

Lisa Hanley

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

f> 1. Ginger Baker (Cream)

f> 2. John Bohnam (Zeppelin)

f> 3. Keith Moon (the Who)

f> 4. Mitch Mitchell (Jimi I know someone's gonna bitch
f> that he's too low but his
f> drumming is to close to Baker's style to be number one)

f> 5. Joey Woranker (Beck's drummer very creative and versatile)

f> 6. Russel Simmons (John Spencer Blues Explosion)
I agree with Bohnam, but I reckon the best drummer is Igor from Sepultura.
Just a little input from me.

lisa

R King

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

Lisa Hanley wrote:
The best drummer in the world ever is....

Mike Mangini

(Steve Vai's touring drummer, also ex - Extreme and Annihilator)

karmalaa - such a trip

Bill

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

Ginger Baker? the best? Not Even Neil Peart of Rush! Followed by Pontroy of
Dream Theater ( probably spelled his name wrong I dont have a CD in front of
me) also check out Mark Zonder of Fates Warning this guy ROCKS!

Bill

InsaneDream

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

Chad Sexton from 311 is a badass fusion drummer

Chimp wrote:

> Starr was shit? He played what needed to be played. Nothing more or nothing less was needed. He played for the song. That
> makes a guy shit?

M.A. ARINO CLARKE

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

In article <6cvqdr$m...@news.montana.com>, "Bill"

I would agree with the original poster, but perhaps put Neil
Peart in the third place. As for Portnoy... I don't know
that much about him; I can spell his name, though :-)

ff

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:33:51 -0800, R King <karm...@dial.pipex.com>
wrote:

>Lisa Hanley wrote:
>The best drummer in the world ever is....
>
>Mike Mangini

How about Pip Pyle or Robert Wyatt?

Chimp

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98
to McNeill

Alex

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

JIMMY CHAMBERLIN!!! All time favorite. So powerful, great style.

In article <34F5B9C6...@mindspring.com>, Chimp

Pure Mania

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Well, I think these Drummers are the best:

Markus "Muellmann" Minnemann(Freaky Fukin Weirdoz + H-Blockx)
Gary Novak(Chick Corea)
Tim "Herb" Alexander (Primus)
Will Calhoun(Living Colour)
Chad Sexton (311)
Fish (Fishbone)

der Tom

Yair Jona

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Hey ,

Try to listen to Le Zeppelin once in a while ,and you'll understand
why John Bonham is the best ,and will remains the best forever
* Don't need a watch to waste your time*
* (John Lennon)*

kar...@erols.com

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

no way dude, bonham is second to Keith Moon of the Who

John Francis

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Ian Paice (Deep Purple for those with short memories)

Listen to the "Fireball" intro or the live version of "Highway Star"

Do it now!

SpeedKing

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98
God, listen to "Burn"!!All 6 minutes.....thats some of the best drum
work I've ever heard.

JackF Epic

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

One of my favorites " lately" has been "Herb" from Primus.

Jack Frost

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

Yep, he's way up there... one of the greats

I must say, theres a lot of "this is the drummer from my favorite band"
with little thought.. the mindless masses that listen to pathetic drivel
of the "popular" bands as usual get in the way of those who really
appreciate *GOOD* music. Thats why music polls never reveal who *is*
the best, just what the mindless mob thinks..........

Smoff

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Jack Frost wrote in message <350003E3...@grayghostmed.com>...

My Opinions on the best drummers ever....
Ringo Starr, simply because of the emotion in his drumming (eg. A Day In The
Life)
Jimmy Chamberlin, formerly of the Smashing Pumpkins, now in some drug rehab
centre.

BLSTRVLR4

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????

Deidre Fredrickson

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

BLSTRVLR4 wrote in message
<19980313233...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

What the hell are smokin? The best drummer of all time is John Bonham!!!

Hawkwind

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Seconded... Ringo Starr???? he was the WORST drummer ever to be in a
band that made it.

Keef Hartley gets my vote...

Simon McDonald wrote:

> BLSTRVLR4 wrote:
> >
> > Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
> > Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
> > discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????
>

> Larry Mullen Jnr.!!!!!

Chris Kierstead

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Simon McDonald wrote:

> BLSTRVLR4 wrote:
> >
> > Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
> > Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
> > discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????
>
> Larry Mullen Jnr.!!!!!
Have you ever heard of Terry Bosio, Heracio Hernandez, Simon Phillips,
or Matt Cameron??????? They can play better with one hand tied behind
their back, than Neil Peart.

rcooke

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Bonham, Bonham, Bonham!!!! John Bonham is the best drummer of all time,
without doubt. Buddy Rich is up there too, and Mitch Mitchell.

Deidre Fredrickson <Scott...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6ed0sh$i...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> BLSTRVLR4 wrote in message
> <19980313233...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> >Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist!
> Neil
> >Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we
> having
> >discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????

Simon McDonald

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

BLSTRVLR4 wrote:

> Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
> Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
> discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????

Larry Mullen Jnr.!!!!!

Troy H. Reynolds

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98
to BLSTRVLR4

I think fuck'n John Bonham of Led Zeppelin was the best drummer ever. You
can take that to the bank dude. Any questions or comments bring them on!
It's too bad he drank yoo much and got fucked up and choked on his own
vomit. But ..........................................

Peter DiCanto

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

JOHN BONHAM, of course

Hawkwind wrote:

> Seconded... Ringo Starr???? he was the WORST drummer ever to be in a
> band that made it.
>
> Keef Hartley gets my vote...
>
> Simon McDonald wrote:
> >

> > BLSTRVLR4 wrote:
> > >
> > > Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
> > > Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
> > > discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????
> >

> > Larry Mullen Jnr.!!!!!

Lance

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

You're right. Ringo doesn't appear to be a very good drummer.
But, then again, the Beatles didn't play alot of songs that could have
had a difficult drum part. If you listen to some of the
semi-complicated stuff (Rain, Strawberry Fields Forever, the fill-ins
on Day In the Life) he wasn't that bad.

But, he wasn't the best by no means.

My votes go to Bonham & Keith Moon...

BTW, Ringo's son, Zac (who played with the Who this past summer) is a
fine drummer himself.

Lance Osborne
bea...@troppoheads.nospam.com
(remove "nospam." from address to e-mail me)
-§--------------§-
Strawberry Fields..
http://troppoheads.com/beatles

"I was the Walrus, whatever that means.
The Walrus was a big capitalist that are
all the f****** oysters, if you must know."
John Lennon, 1970

Wyse

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

not the best drummer ever, but Dave Abruzzesse (or whatever spelling) is
really fucking good.
Jason

Peter DiCanto <pdic...@student.vill.edu> wrote in article
<3511F71F...@student.vill.edu>...

homer

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

> BLSTRVLR4 wrote:
>
> Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
> Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
> discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????

err...ringo starr is not as crap as you all think he is...lemme give you
a few reasons...btw i AM a drummer...

1) when he appeared on the ed sullivan show playing ludwig drums, there
was a worldwide surge in drum sales, esp. ludwig
2) ringo has perfect time...try it, set a metronome to his playing...no
clicks or nothing!
3) ringo was the first rock drummer to introduce "matched grip" before
ringo, most rock drummers used traditional grip (like drum corps)
4) ringo is soo tasteful in what he plays...he plays simply for the
music, not for the solos...even then he has some of the most amazing
chops that i have ever heard...listen to "ticket to ride": when he gets
to the chorus, bar 4, he plays a unison semiquaver fill with right hand
on floor tom and left hand on snare...veeery difficult to pull off at
that tempo.
5) ringo has an amazing ability to play odd time signatures...for
example, "all you need is love" is written in 7/4 and "here comes the
sun" with the repeating 11/8, 4/4 and 7/8 passages in the chorus.

there...is that more evidence you need? anyway, i don't reckon he is the
BEST of all time, just one of the greatest. the BEST drummer ever is the
late john henry bonham.

Dangerman

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

Ringo wasnt even allowed to drum on "Love me do"

Charlie Watts - ooh. Charlie Watts - ooh

he drums so layed back and jazzy in the world edgiest rock`n`roll band (not
now). When people imitate the stones or attempt to give themselves an edge
they always go for some drummer who is SOOO energetic and EXCITED by the
song. Charlie could make the same sounds but he just sat there looking cool.
They also go for a huge didtortionny type guitar - the stones had an edhe
with acoustics (street fighting man)

AJ Wilkes

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

homer <kocom...@iname.com> wrote:

: 5) ringo has an amazing ability to play odd time signatures...for

: example, "all you need is love" is written in 7/4 and "here comes the
: sun" with the repeating 11/8, 4/4 and 7/8 passages in the chorus.

Amazing ability you say? Listen to Vinnie Colaiuta on playing behind the
guitar solo on Keep It Greasy from Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage album. A
groove in 19/16 at that tempo? Ouch.

-JK-
'/?'
-

Lance

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:39:27 -0000, "Dangerman" <fuff...@wdsdq.com>
wrote:

>Ringo wasnt even allowed to drum on "Love me do"

George Martin (Producer) didn't know who the hell who he was!
So, instead of taking a chance on a shitty drummer (which Ringo
certainly was not), Martin got a session drummer, Andy White, to play
for the record.

BTW, Ringo did play on another version of Love Me Do, as well as
playing LMD on his new album, Vertical Man, coming out in April.

kashmi...@ccipost.net

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Ringo is probably the "most underated" drummer, must be because he wasnt too
flashy....however as far as the BEST drummer, sorry
Bonzo!...........................
.....................it would have to be:
Keith Moon!

Mike
Remove NOSPAM from email

Fishiesue

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

John Bock by far......plays with Off The Bone.

Elvin Seah

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

Dave Grohl......
nuff said......

--

Peace,
Love,

( Please remove NOSPAM from the beginning of my e-mail address if it is there, it's to
prevent spammers.... Thanks guys )

Mad Hamish

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:03:42 +1100, Simon McDonald <sim...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>BLSTRVLR4 wrote:
>>
>> Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist! Neil
>> Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we having
>> discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????

Because it's here/Roll The Bones <g>

Seriously in terms of drummers Peart is up there, I'm also fond of Mark
Brzezicki from Big Country, but let's not forget the jazz drummers.

The Politician's Slogan
'You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all
of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Fortunately only a simple majority is required.'

Mad Hamish

Hamish Laws
h_l...@postoffice.utas.edu.au
h_l...@tassie.net.au

Sloppy gee

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

i'd like to put in a vote for..

Tim 'Herb' Alexander (Primus)

creative, innovative, and groovey...guess you'd have to be to play with the
whacky and inspirational - Les Claypool as your front man!

"wail on your guitar, not your ladies"

007

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

Mad Hamish skrev i meddelelsen <351370f6...@newsroom.tassie.net.au>...

>On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:03:42 +1100, Simon McDonald <sim...@ozemail.com.au>
>wrote:
>
>>BLSTRVLR4 wrote:
>>>
>>> Ringo Starr?!?! COme on, I can drum better than him and I'm a guitarist!
Neil
>>> Peart of Rush is teh best drummer of all time, and by the way why are we
having
>>> discusions on drums in the guitar newsgroups?????

The best drummer ever (and also World Known as) must be the late and great
drummerof Toto, Jeff Porcharo

007
0...@anarki.dk

007

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

John, Stephen

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Best Drummer: the guy from Ben Folds Five, his name is either Robert Sledge or Durran
Jessee

Scott Hodgson

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

Three come to mind.....Ginger Baker.....Neil Peart and John Bonham
~~S

Alan Strobusch

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

John Bonham. Nuff' said

SWB421

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Jon Fishman of Phish Is up there too.

Stoney4429

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Dave Grohl, Nirvana
John Bonham, Led Zepplin
(Name slips my mind), Slayer

Stone.
'I live in a free country?'

WRITE OR SUBSCRIBE!..its an e-zine. THE WEEKLY WORLD STONEY.
If you like DRUGS, POLITICS, ENTERTAINMENT, MUSIC or just about anything
going on in the world, then email me.

**This post approved by Quincy.**

willi...@hotmail.com

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <01bd5d19$2bd84040$14f22e9c@strobes>,
"Alan Strobusch" <fp...@pitnet.net> wrote:

> John Bonham. Nuff' said

will75 wrote: nuff?

Michael Kelly Schulze

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

The best drummer to ever walk the face of this planet (or any other, for I
consider him to be a god) is Neil Peart of Rush. He is and always will be
the king of all percussionists.

galton2

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

The kings of drums are the drummers of the king:

- DJ Fontana
- Ronnie Tutt
- Jerry Carrigan

Reggie reggie...@hotmail.com