Duct Tape Adhesive Removal?

Len Moskowitz

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
without harming the Tolex?

Thanks!

--
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound WWW site: http://www.panix.com/~moskowit

Ken

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Len Moskowitz <mosk...@panix.com> wrote in article
<68tur9$8...@panix3.panix.com>...

> Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
> without harming the Tolex?

This is a common product called Goo Gone that does the trick, and is easy
on surfaces. It doesn't seem to be petrochemical based (it smells like
citrus). I used some this weekend to take some stupid Budman stickers off
an old guitar.

Have Fun!

-KT

Kamchak Tuchuk

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

On 6 Jan 1998 13:57:45 -0500, mosk...@panix.com (Len Moskowitz)
wrote:

>Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
>without harming the Tolex?
>

>Thanks!

I can't really help you but I wanted to clear up that duct tape and
gaffer's tape are two different things.
Ya think WD-40 might get that stuff off? I heard you can get gum out
of carpet w/ it.

Simply Steve

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Kamchak Tuchuk wrote:

I would not use WD40 on tolex. If you can peel most of it off you can
probably get the residue off using some conditioning cleaner like
Armour-all - it might take quite a bit of it and let it soak in for a
while if the tape and goo is real dry. If it's fairly fresh tape you can
get a lot the glue off using fresh duct tape - press it onto the glue
leftover from the old tape, rub on it then peel it off. It'll pull a lot
of the old tape glue off with it, then the rest will be easier to clean
up. Armour -all makes a conditioning-cleaner and a conditioner - get the
cleaner. It won't hurt the tolex at all - it's made for that kind of
stuff.

Simply Steve

P.S. almost forgot - so what IS the essencial difference between duct
and gaffer's tape? Look the same to me.

DLM

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Len Moskowitz wrote:

> Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
> without harming the Tolex?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Len Moskowitz
> Core Sound WWW site: http://www.panix.com/~moskowit
> mosk...@panix.com

So far WD-40 is the best response (worst being that WD-40 is
harmful to tolex). I reqularily use Naptha (cigarette
lighter fluid) to clean my amps (and guitars) after the
"bar" stink gets too bad to put up with.

DLM

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

ahem ahem....read the entire thread before hitting "Enter"

Kamchak Tuchuk wrote:

> I DIDN'T say to use WD40! I was ASKING whether it might work.

michael p mccullough

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

On 6 Jan 1998 20:38:42 GMT, "Ken" <Ke...@Actionio.com> wrote:

> I used some this weekend to take some stupid Budman stickers off
>an old guitar.

if you don't need the budman stickers anymore could you send them to
me thanks? <grin>

michael p mccullough ++++ klamath falls, oregon, usa # 1.541.884.3278
all moanday, tearsday, wailsday, thumpsday, frightday, shatterday (j.j./FW)
email = mic...@magick.net sonic youth = http://evol.org/music.html
home = http://evol.org minutemen = http://evol.org/music8.html

Duncan Munro

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

On Tue, 06 Jan 1998 15:05:43 -0800, Simply Steve
<steve....@hmsc.orst.edu> wrote:

>P.S. almost forgot - so what IS the essencial difference between duct
>and gaffer's tape? Look the same to me.

Hi Steve,

Apart from price, it's the adhesive. Duct tape leaves adhesive on
whatever it was attached to, which then attracts dirt, sticks to your
hands etc....

Proper gaffer tape is a much finer cloth weave, and leaves very little
residue behind.

In answer to the original question (removing the glue), I use Servisol
Foam Cleanser 30 - this stuff is actually meant for use on Vinyl.
Spray it on and leave it for about 15 seconds, then wipe off with an
old T-Shirt, or whatever.

This works well at getting stains out of Tolex like beer, coffee,
ingrained cigarette ash and all the other stuff that gigging amps pick
up. Black Tolex actually comes up very black, just like new.

Try and keep it away from "black on aluminium" panels like Fender,
Music Man etc. front panels. If areas are worn, like round the volume
control, this stuff will make them worse....

HTH,
Duncan

--
Duncan Munro
Check out http://www.duncanamps.simplenet.com/

Kamchak Tuchuk

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

<steve....@hmsc.orst.edu> wrote:
>P.S. almost forgot - so what IS the essencial difference between duct
>and gaffer's tape? Look the same to me.

Gaffers is made of cloth. It's dull looking, not shiny like duct tape.
Costs two to three times as much. Doesn't leave all that gummy crap
everywhere.

Kamchak Tuchuk

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

TimTube

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In article <68tur9$8...@panix3.panix.com>, mosk...@panix.com (Len Moskowitz)
writes:

Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off
>Tolex
without harming the Tolex?

Thanks!

If you go to a medical supply place, they have stuff that is made to put on
bandages to make them easy to remove. It disolves/softens the adhesive. It
works great, but is somewhat pricey...seems like I paid $15 for a pint. You can
also get "wipes" that look like wet-naps that are soaked with this stuff..

Tim
A great amp can make a lousy guitar sound great.
A lousy amp will make a great guitar sound lousy.

Lord Valve

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In <68tur9$8...@panix3.panix.com> mosk...@panix.com (Len Moskowitz)

writes:

>Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off
Tolex
>without harming the Tolex?
>
>Thanks!
>

>--
>Len Moskowitz
>Core Sound WWW site: http://www.panix.com/~moskowit
>mosk...@panix.com

Lord Valve Speaketh:
Yep...there are several citrus-based solvents which will do this with
ease, and not hurt the Tolex at all. Look for Orange-Sol or DeSolvIt
in hardware stores, or get a spray can of Caig CaiKleen TRP. Give the
stuff time to soak (a minute or ten) before you start rubbing the gunk
off the amp. When you have all the adhesive off, follow up with a
water-based cleaner like 409 to remove the solvent residue.

Lord Valve
Website at: http://www.freeyellow.com/members2/lord-valve/
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

Mark Ware

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Jg...@ftc-i.net (Kamchak Tuchuk) writes:

> On 6 Jan 1998 13:57:45 -0500, mosk...@panix.com (Len Moskowitz)
> wrote:
>

> >Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
> >without harming the Tolex?
> >
> >Thanks!
>

> I can't really help you but I wanted to clear up that duct tape and
> gaffer's tape are two different things.

Speaking of gaffer's tape... I fell asleep in front of the TV last night
while watching the 11 o'clock snews. I woke up a few hours later and
the Tom Snyder show was on (NBC i think) Anyhow, Tom was holding up a
roll of gaffer's tape and was saying that it was invented in 1948 and how
TV and motion picture studios could not survive without it, blah, blah,
blah. I was still a little groggy and I missed most of what he said.
Anyone else catch it?

Happy 50th to a wonderful invention. I'm gonna go stick a few pieces to
my car's fender to celebrate.

--
Mark Ware wa...@zen.org
Emacs impared

patg...@hotmail.com

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Len Moskowitz wrote:

> Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
> without harming the Tolex?

don't know about tolex but

9 /10 hampsters recomend GOO GONE

a toxic substance available at many hardware stores
be carefull it will work on the tolex a little

Len Moskowitz

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I <mosk...@panix.com> wrote:

>Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
>without harming the Tolex?

Thanks to all those who made suggestions.

One person suggested 95% Isopropyl or Ethyl alcohol -- I tried 91%
Isopropyl and it works great!

Jim Kroger

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In article <68uh5j$2...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, DLM
<dwe...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Len Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know how to take duct tape (aka "gaffer tape") adhesive off Tolex
> > without harming the Tolex?
> >

> > Thanks!

> > --
> > Len Moskowitz
> > Core Sound WWW site: http://www.panix.com/~moskowit
> > mosk...@panix.com
>

> So far WD-40 is the best response (worst being that WD-40 is
> harmful to tolex). I reqularily use Naptha (cigarette
> lighter fluid) to clean my amps (and guitars) after the
> "bar" stink gets too bad to put up with.

How do you clean the grillcloth though? Seems like that would retain smoke
the worst....

Jim

The author is singly responsible for the contents of this
message; they do not reflect any opinion of the organizations
sponsoring this net account.

Strat1995

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

>One person suggested 95% Isopropyl or Ethyl alcohol -- I tried 91%
>Isopropyl and it works great!

Yep, and it will even take the goo off your guitar finish without hurting it.

Ken

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

michael p mccullough <mic...@magick.net> wrote in article
<34b7c758...@news.meganews.com>...

> On 6 Jan 1998 20:38:42 GMT, "Ken" <Ke...@Actionio.com> wrote:
>

> > I used some this weekend to take some stupid Budman stickers off
> >an old guitar.
> >

> if you don't need the budman stickers anymore could you send them to
> me thanks? <grin>

Sorry Mike,

The stickers suffered a little in the removal process... They're gone,
along with the goo.

I didn't realize these things had any lasting value. I mean, Budweiser?

Cheers,

-KT

xx...@skye.net

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I've used wd 40 and it seems to work pretty good. Then clean with
mild soap solution. Solvents only seem to make matters worse.

On 6 Jan 1998 13:57:45 -0500, mosk...@panix.com (Len Moskowitz)

ron

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Try Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. A few years back I removed a lot of duct
tape residue from a number of musical items using this stuff straight from
the $.89 bottle.

If you have any doubts, try a test on some unseen part of the item in
question.

Oh yeah, regardless of what you might hear from older, blind guitar
players- I wouldn't drink it.

Len Moskowitz <mosk...@panix.com> wrote in article
<68tur9$8...@panix3.panix.com>...

SEFSTRAT

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

There is a product called "goo gone" that works GREAT. Doesn;t damage
finishes, either.

Steve
SEFSTRAT