What is a Chordovox?

S. Husky Hoskulds

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

I saw this at the local thrift store. It is in two pieces. Folds up like
a suitcase. One seems to be the main amp section with a whole s**tload
of tubes, and the other some sort of satellite speaker cab. connected
with a multipin umbilical cord.

Anyone know?
--

S. Husky Hoskulds >> Los Angeles >> hosk...@earthlink.net

"We don't know a millionth of one percent of anything" (Edison)

m. mattson

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

"S. Husky Hoskulds" <hosk...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I saw this at the local thrift store. It is in two pieces. Folds up like
>a suitcase. One seems to be the main amp section with a whole s**tload
>of tubes, and the other some sort of satellite speaker cab. connected
>with a multipin umbilical cord.

You didn't see the third part, which is an accordian.

Chordovox is a brand name. The entire set-up came in a number of
models over the years, but always consisted of; A) an accordian which
incuded electronic key contacts and control switching, along with
acoustic mic elements, B) a generator which is in essence an organ
generator and amplifier system, C) a speaker cabinet, and D) a swell
pedal and assorted (large) umbilical cables.

Very popular with Polka band players. In later years the generator
and speaker were in the same cabinet (after they went to solid-state).

Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception will be different.

TimTube

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

In article <3268BC...@earthlink.net>, "S. Husky Hoskulds"
<hosk...@earthlink.net> writes:

>I saw this at the local thrift store. It is in two pieces. Folds up like
>a suitcase. One seems to be the main amp section with a whole s**tload
>of tubes, and the other some sort of satellite speaker cab. connected
>with a multipin umbilical cord.
>

>Anyone know?
>--

It is an amp for an accordian/concertina. The input is most likely a big
cable with many sends, althought it may also have an aux in for a guitar
or microphone. Some of them have a baffle in front of the speaker that
spins, creating a leslie effect.

Alright, let's polka...."I don't want her you can have her......Roll out
the barrel....

Tim

A great amp can make a lousy guitar sound great.
A lousy amp will make a great guitar sound lousy.

Daddy-O

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

S. Husky Hoskulds wrote:

> I saw this at the local thrift store. It is in two pieces. Folds up like
> a suitcase. One seems to be the main amp section with a whole s**tload
> of tubes, and the other some sort of satellite speaker cab. connected
> with a multipin umbilical cord.
>
> Anyone know?
> --
>
> S. Husky Hoskulds >> Los Angeles >> hosk...@earthlink.net
>
> "We don't know a millionth of one percent of anything" (Edison)

Cordovox was an electric accordion. What you saw was undoubtedly the amp
the company made to match the instrument. Didja try it? Sounds like a
cool old piece of gear.

Daddy-O

Lord Valve

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

In <3268BC...@earthlink.net> "S. Husky Hoskulds"

<hosk...@earthlink.net> writes:

>I saw this at the local thrift store. It is in two pieces. Folds up
like
>a suitcase. One seems to be the main amp section with a whole s**tload

>of tubes, and the other some sort of satellite speaker cab. connected
>with a multipin umbilical cord.
>
>Anyone know?

Yeah, that's part of an electronic accordian. What you have there is
the tone generator and the amplifier. It needs the special Cordovox
accordion to go with it. I once found one of these which was full of
Telefunken 12AX7s, so you might want to cop it just for the tubes that
are in it.

Fat Willie
detr...@ix.netcom.com
(Lord Valve)

NOT as big a sumbitch as some would say...

Jeff Vineburg

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

>Anyone know?

It's a brand name.

They also made a rotating baffle speaker (leslie-like thingie). It
houses an 8" speaker and has 2 speeds - whoosh and under water. I
have one - it's kinda neat.

Jeff Vineburg je...@netaxs.com Nuclear Fish nuke...@netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~jeffv http://www.netaxs.com/~nukefish
lefty guitar info, musical humor song parodies, as heard on Stern show