Metaltronix

winnard

Jun 1, 2002, 11:29:20 PM6/1/02
There's this Lee Jackson Metaltronix amp at a pawnshop near me. It looks
like something out of a bad Spinal Tap moment. Four el34s and 5 12ax7s,
with matching cabinet. It has that classic 80s overbuilt cosmetic look that
was popular way back when. Anyone here ever mess with one?

winnard

PMG

Jun 1, 2002, 11:45:23 PM6/1/02
On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 03:29:20 GMT, "winnard" <8tra...@SPAMhome.com>
wrote:

> There's this Lee Jackson Metaltronix amp at a pawnshop near me. It looks
>like something out of a bad Spinal Tap moment. Four el34s and 5 12ax7s,
>with matching cabinet. It has that classic 80s overbuilt cosmetic look that
>was popular way back when.

Sounds pretty cool. See if it says anything about being made by Laney
on it. How much is he asking for the thing?

I should find out where the pawn shops are hiding in my area. There
must be some over in Joliet.

>Anyone here ever mess with one?

No.

Pete

winnard

Jun 1, 2002, 11:56:24 PM6/1/02

"PMG" <avo...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 03:29:20 GMT, "winnard" <8tra...@SPAMhome.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There's this Lee Jackson Metaltronix amp at a pawnshop near me. It looks
> >like something out of a bad Spinal Tap moment. Four el34s and 5 12ax7s,
> >with matching cabinet. It has that classic 80s overbuilt cosmetic look
that
> >was popular way back when.
>
> Sounds pretty cool. See if it says anything about being made by Laney
> on it. How much is he asking for the thing?

$995 for the head and cab, kinda steep. Looked like it was in good shape,
didn't try to play the
scary monster though.

winnard

RoccaforteAmps

Jun 2, 2002, 12:15:38 AM6/2/02
I own two of these,
I posted the inside here
not to long ago,
I never restored them,
you'd have to strip it
and start over.
Doug

winnard

Jun 2, 2002, 12:34:02 AM6/2/02

"RoccaforteAmps" <roccafo...@aol.com> wrote in message

The amp looked like typical 80s flash to me. Knobs out the ass, and half
of them
you pull out for effect.

winnard

PMG

Jun 2, 2002, 12:56:02 AM6/2/02
On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 04:34:02 GMT, "winnard" <8tra...@SPAMhome.com>
wrote:

I'd never be willing to pay what he's asking for the thing

Pete

winnard

Jun 2, 2002, 1:12:32 AM6/2/02

"PMG" <avo...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Nor I. It's an intriguing amp, though. There's enough tubes in there to
feed
all of Africa's starving bands. God awful cheesy amp.

winnard

Miles O'Neal

Jun 2, 2002, 2:10:42 AM6/2/02
PMG <avo...@attbi.com> wrote:
|"winnard" <8tra...@SPAMhome.com> wrote:

|> There's this Lee Jackson Metaltronix amp at a pawnshop near me. It looks
|>like something out of a bad Spinal Tap moment. Four el34s and 5 12ax7s,
|>with matching cabinet. It has that classic 80s overbuilt cosmetic look that
|>was popular way back when.

Lee is in Austin, and quit making amps not
long ago. Dunno what the "real" value
is, but there won't be any more made
(unless Lee changes his mind). Did you
check eBay and HC for prices?

|Sounds pretty cool. See if it says anything about being made by Laney
|on it. How much is he asking for the thing?

Laney? Why Laney? Did Lee work
with them?

-Miles

PMG

Jun 2, 2002, 9:19:59 AM6/2/02
On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 06:10:42 GMT, m...@rru.com (Miles O'Neal) wrote:

>PMG <avo...@attbi.com> wrote:
>|"winnard" <8tra...@SPAMhome.com> wrote:
>|
>|> There's this Lee Jackson Metaltronix amp at a pawnshop near me. It looks
>|>like something out of a bad Spinal Tap moment. Four el34s and 5 12ax7s,
>|>with matching cabinet. It has that classic 80s overbuilt cosmetic look that
>|>was popular way back when.
>
>Lee is in Austin, and quit making amps not
>long ago. Dunno what the "real" value
>is, but there won't be any more made
>(unless Lee changes his mind). Did you
>check eBay and HC for prices?

Hmmmm, a lot of guitar stuff or people from out of Texas. My new
Black Cat OD-1 pedal is by someone named Fred Bonte from Texas I
guess. I'd never heard of him till a few days ago though.

>|Sounds pretty cool. See if it says anything about being made by Laney
>|on it. How much is he asking for the thing?
>
>Laney? Why Laney? Did Lee work
>with them?
>
>-Miles

I looked over at Harm Central, and one of the reviewers mentioned that
a Jackson amp he had said that it said something like "Made by Laney"
on it (or words to that effect.

Pete

Miles O'Neal

Jun 2, 2002, 12:03:38 PM6/2/02
PMG <avo...@attbi.com> wrote:
|Hmmmm, a lot of guitar stuff or people from out of Texas. My new
|Black Cat OD-1 pedal is by someone named Fred Bonte from Texas I
|guess. I'd never heard of him till a few days ago though.

Don't know anything about them;
can't find a web page. Got any
info?

|>Laney? Why Laney? Did Lee work
|>with them?
|

|I looked over at Harm Central, and one of the reviewers mentioned that
|a Jackson amp he had said that it said something like "Made by Laney"
|on it (or words to that effect.

All I could find was where someone said tey
used this head as well as a Laney.

TD Madden

Jun 2, 2002, 1:10:18 PM6/2/02

PMG

Jun 2, 2002, 2:25:52 PM6/2/02
On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 13:10:18 -0400, TD Madden <tma...@erols.com>
wrote:

>http://www.analogman.com/blackcat.htm

That's all I could dig up. I couldn't find a website for his actual
company even with a meta search.
(more below)

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Jackson/MG_100-01.html

My memory was a bit off though. The guy said:

"The amp was made in 1988, On the Logo it Says "Jackson"(the guitar
company), on the back it says Made in England. Sources have told me
that this is a Tube head designed by Lee-Jackson, made by Laney, and
Marketed by 'Jackson'."

Pete

RoccaforteAmps

Jun 2, 2002, 4:56:18 PM6/2/02
<<winnard: The amp looked like typical 80s flash to >me. Knobs out the ass,

and half
>of them
>you pull out for effect.

These amps have three master vol's,
an effect loop that doubles as
another stage of gain,
and a rotory EQ switch.
Ive never been able to get any kind
of usefull tone out of either
one of these.

Miles O'Neal

Jun 2, 2002, 6:06:37 PM6/2/02
PMG <avo...@attbi.com> wrote:
|On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 13:10:18 -0400, TD Madden <tma...@erols.com>
|http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Jackson/MG_100-01.html
|
|My memory was a bit off though. The guy said:

|"The amp was made in 1988, On the Logo it Says "Jackson"(the guitar
|company), on the back it says Made in England. Sources have told me
|that this is a Tube head designed by Lee-Jackson, made by Laney, and
|Marketed by 'Jackson'."

I guess it's possible, but it seems
unlikely. When I went to Lee's sale
for all his leftover amp stuff, he told
me that one of te things that always
annoyed him was that Jackson guitars
prevented him from using "Jackson"
as his logo. So I'm guessing (though
it's purely a mildly educated guess
atthis point) that these were not his
amps.

If I can find his email address I'll
ask him.

-Miles

PMG

Jun 2, 2002, 7:01:12 PM6/2/02

I have no idea what's behind the history of the Jackson name. Was
Jackson guitars something he started and sold off to someone else?

I guess the guitar start up companies from the '70s are probably all
under new ownership by now. Ok, I'm just judging that by Hamer. I
don't have a clue if Dean guitars is still owned by that guy who
started the company. I forgot his name. I actually only tried one of
his guitars. Years ago I tried one of his mini Flying V guitars. It
seemed kind of cool, but I didn't really feel at home with it.

Hamer, Kramer, Jackson, Dean, and there's probably several I forgot.
Way too many brands got started up in a relatively short period of
history. It seems real unlikely that the market could have supported
all of them for long.

Pete

Miles O'Neal

Jun 2, 2002, 10:57:26 PM6/2/02
PMG <avo...@attbi.com> wrote:
|I have no idea what's behind the history of the Jackson name. Was
|Jackson guitars something he started and sold off to someone else?

Doesn't look like Lee was ever
connected with Jackson guitars
or with Laney. I found his old
web site: http://www.leejackson.com/ ;
follow the history link.

-Miles

PMG

Jun 2, 2002, 11:13:54 PM6/2/02

I guess that was a relatively recent company. I had no idea there was
a Terry Kath connection to Pignose. I wonder why that slipped by me.

Pete

Miles O'Neal

Jun 2, 2002, 11:57:05 PM6/2/02
PMG <avo...@attbi.com> wrote:

|I guess that was a relatively recent company. I had no idea there was
|a Terry Kath connection to Pignose. I wonder why that slipped by me.

Me, too. I figure I *had* to have known
that at one time, but it must have escaped
when I wasn't looking...

PMG

Jun 3, 2002, 1:01:08 AM6/3/02

"I used to do drugs in the '70s, now I don't care what the temperature
is!" Don't ask me who said that, I forgot.

Pete