What's the consensus on Gerald Weber?

MCAS NV

Jun 2, 2001, 8:06:02 PM6/2/01
I would not "mod" a blackface SR--maybe an early silverface, but I don't really
like this idea....

Censored Boards Suck

Jun 2, 2001, 8:44:40 PM6/2/01
>Has anyone tried any of his "cool" mods for the Super Reverb that he
>has in his book?

The best mods are no mods, other than converting a SF into a BF. That's it,
all else is bullshit.

*You can guess what to remove from my email address to get rid of the spam
block.*

*Valid Targets:*
u...@ftc.gov
tos...@aol.com
gre...@northrim.net
*****

Spike

Jun 3, 2001, 12:10:52 AM6/3/01
Well some will argue about what to do
and what not to do.
But you just have to go through them
and try them.

I did the SF - BF mod on my Deluxe Reverb.
Using the Super as a guide. Yes the other mods
he talks about will work in the DR.
And I did a few of his other mods for it
two. Some of them work great, others can
cause problems and will have to be un done.

Keep all your old parts, just in case.

I had to un do I think three of the mods.
But every amp is different, you just have
to play around with it until you get the tone
you are looking for.

I'm not the only one who thinks my amp
is tone heaven either. : ) Guys tha build amps
want to buy mine...not bad for a first timer. : )

<slapping self on back>

Regards,

Spike

Scott Colborn

Jun 3, 2001, 12:29:10 AM6/3/01
Hello,
Every time I've talked to Gerald Weber by phone, he's been a gentleman
and really able to transmit his love of amps. He loves to talk about amps
and tone. I regret selling my Kendrick Black/Gold 35 combo - the best
bottom end of any combo I've ever played in the 30 - 50 watt range. The
on-board biasing is a really cool feature on the Black/Gold's.
I can't comment on the comparative nature of the mods you're asking
about. I'll leave that to much more competent people. If you have a
question, don't have a problem calling Gerald - he'll take the time to talk
to you.
Take care and enjoy your music.
Walk in Beauty, Peace. Scott

GTski

Jun 3, 2001, 1:16:33 AM6/3/01
I met him at the Philly guitar show last year and he seems like a great
guy... his amps sounded VERY, VERY NICE...!!!! I think you could easily
contact him about any mods he suggests and discuss them with him...

gtski

Miles O'Neal

Jun 3, 2001, 3:18:35 AM6/3/01
Albert King wrote:

> Has anyone tried any of his "cool" mods for the Super Reverb that he
> has in his book?

Amazing - all these answers from people who have no real
idea what you're talking about!

That said, I haven't tried them, but they all sound quite
reasonable. All easily reversible, all a matter of taste.
compared to your sound now, and try those. The tube swap
is the easiest, of course. 8^)

I doubt you'll ever get a consensus on Gerald Weber in this
group, though. 8^)

-Miles

Ted Weber on the other hand, I think everyone loves.

Odin

Jun 3, 2001, 6:02:07 AM6/3/01
I tried all of his mods on a '68 Super a few years ago. The only mod I left
was to disconnect the low input of the amp. The rest I put back to stock.
I just liked the amp better stock (after I "blackfaced" it, so not totally
stock for a '68).

Albert King <alber...@mail1st.com> wrote in message

Jim Laney

Jun 3, 2001, 7:31:49 PM6/3/01
i've had several done. the 12ax7 in the driver really helps.
also, disconnected the negative feedback loop wire: this made the amp come
alive. leave the wire there but taped up. also, had the cathodes separated.
lastly, i put in 3 (not 4) weber vst california 10's. after 10 hours of
break in, i have one of the best sounding super reverbs around. i've owned
several and played in the neighborhood of 20.
also, if you don't use the normal channel, take out the 12ax7, it helps the
gain. if you leave the tube in and have a stock normal channel, a reverb
trick on a super is: get a cord with a male rca on one end and a 1/4 inch
plug on the other. disconnect the reverb send male rac on the back of hte
chassis, plug it in to the female rca, now plug the 1/4 inch end into the
normal channel. you can adjust the tone of the reverb. it's pretty cool. if
you don't use reverb and want to get more overdrive, get 2 male rca plug and
a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor. solder the resistor ends to the 2 rca's. unplug
the reverb cables and plug in this little gizmo. the reverb control becomes
a gain control.

to you orignal question: i've met gerald weber several times, talked with
him in detail several times. he really knows his stuff.

also, perform mods that seem right for you. but remember, you may alter the
valve of the amp if you decide to sell it later. i'm a player, not a
collector, so a few minor mods to tweak MY personal sound is ok.

later,

jimi
jim_...@yahoo.com

John S. Shinal

Jun 3, 2001, 10:41:00 PM6/3/01
On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:33:36 -0700, Albert King
<alber...@mail1st.com> wrote:

>Has anyone tried any of his "cool" mods for the Super Reverb that he
>has in his book?

Gerald Weber has written an acceptable if not extra-accurate
starter book on vintage amps.

Some of the things he goes on about are a little kooky, but
truth be told, he gives good advice in portions of his book - the
basic safety info on discharging caps, etc will keep you from doing
something dangerous.

Most of the mods he lists are reversible and not overly
complex. He doesn't really explain that doing "headroom" and "brown"
mods at the same time may actually cancel each other out, etc.

I think if you post a specific question here about a circuit
change (aside from something major like extra holes in the amp, etc),
or also at the excellent Ampage site, you'll get a lot of good advice
- better than you'd find in Weber's book.

Some of the folks here know as much as Gerry, and in a few
specific cases, vastly more (no names, no flames - hahaha).

The only Weber I've played was a 50w 2x12. It was a hell of an
amp - I expected a Fender-y vibe, which it had, but it would grind as
hard as any Marshall if you aggravated it enough.
.

Odin

Jun 4, 2001, 12:00:25 AM6/4/01

Jim Laney <jim_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> also, disconnected the negative feedback loop wire: this made the amp come
> alive. leave the wire there but taped up. also, had the cathodes
separated.

<snip>

> also, if you don't use the normal channel, take out the 12ax7, it helps
the
> gain. if you leave the tube in and have a stock normal channel,

By separating the cathodes haven't you in effect done the same thing as
removing the normal channel preamp tube, thereby rendering the "remove
Normal channel preamp tube" mod ineffective?

Jim Laney

Jun 4, 2001, 8:50:41 PM6/4/01
yeah, i did the removal of the tube and played that way before the cathode
separation. i guess it is roughly the same, i was just telling the myriad of
ideas i've tried. thanks for the clarification.

later,

jimi

"Odin" <od...@flash.net> wrote in message

Dale VanZile

Jun 12, 2001, 2:22:31 AM6/12/01
> if
> you don't use reverb and want to get more overdrive, get 2 male rca plug
and
> a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor. solder the resistor ends to the 2 rca's.
unplug
> the reverb cables and plug in this little gizmo. the reverb control
becomes
> a gain control.

This "mod" can actually cause damage to the amp, due to the lack of proper
load on the reverb driver transformer.

If you play it this way for long, it eventually will develop a
high-resistance (low-resistance if left for *too* long) short between the
primary and ground, which will drop the B+ to the preamp section and,
generally speaking, make the amp sound like poo. :^P

If you want to do this safely, make sure you put an 8 ohm, 5W resistor
between hot and ground on the reverb send end of things (the end that reads
as almost a dead short to ground from the hot pin--the return side should
read 220k or so) to keep the transformer happy. :^)

I hope this helps!

C ya,
Dutch

---

Billy Chambless >

Jun 12, 2001, 7:19:39 PM6/12/01
In article <3B19E4CB...@rru.com>, Miles O'Neal <m...@rru.com> wrote:

>I doubt you'll ever get a consensus on Gerald Weber in this
>group, though. 8^)

Or anything else.

Maybe "electric guitars are cool", but even that would probably get us
off into politics and gun control.