Impedance of 1963 Bassman head??

BHabes

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help with identifying the impedance on a Fender
amp head I purchased recently. It's a white tolex (looks beige)/wheat
grillecloth Fender Bassman head. Its got the presence knob. Knobs are the
white, roundish ones. I'm told this amp is from 1963-- which the tube chart
stamp initials confirm.

Here is what the tube chart says: 6G6-B
Production 55
The letters "MK" are stamped on the chart.
Power Supply 117 volts, 50/60 cycles AC
Power Consumption 200 watts

The chassis is embossed: BP07772 (if this helps)

Can anyone tell me if this bugger is 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Preferably based on
Fender Bassman schematics for this model #. I emailed Lord Valve last week but
he hasn't responded-- I'm sure he's simply too busy, but I'm anxious to know
the impedance of my new amp head!

Thank you in advance!
Brian
BHa...@aol.com

Lord Valve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In <19971125014...@ladder02.news.aol.com> bha...@aol.com

Lord Valve Belatedly Speaketh:
Almost certainly 4 ohms, like most Fender heads. It'd be a good idea
for you to take it to your local tech and have him scope it at both 4
and 8 ohms, just to be sure...the tranny may have been replaced in an
amp that old. I just worked on a 65 Super reverb today, and found a
Twin Reverb output transformer in it. The dude who owned it said he'd
taken it to three different shops before mine, and no-one noticed it
had the wrong tranny installed. A Twin tranny running two output tubes
wants to see an 8-ohm load, and a Super's speakers are wired for 2
ohms. Gosh, I wonder why it sounded like poo... :)

Lord Valve
Check out my new Website at
http://www.freeyellow.com/members2/lord-valve/

Brad Bolton

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97
to BHabes

BHabes wrote:

> Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help with identifying the impedance on a Fender
> amp head I purchased recently. It's a white tolex (looks beige)/wheat
> grillecloth Fender Bassman head. Its got the presence knob. Knobs are the
> white, roundish ones. I'm told this amp is from 1963-- which the tube chart
> stamp initials confirm.
>
> Here is what the tube chart says: 6G6-B
> Production 55
> The letters "MK" are stamped on the chart.
> Power Supply 117 volts, 50/60 cycles AC
> Power Consumption 200 watts
>
> The chassis is embossed: BP07772 (if this helps)
>
> Can anyone tell me if this bugger is 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Preferably based on
> Fender Bassman schematics for this model #. I emailed Lord Valve last week but
> he hasn't responded-- I'm sure he's simply too busy, but I'm anxious to know
> the impedance of my new amp head!
>
> Thank you in advance!

4 ohms, or 2 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. Same as the blackface
models.

Brad Bolton

TimTube

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <19971125014...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, bha...@aol.com
(BHabes) writes:

I recently picked up one of these too, only mine is in a black shell ($325 if
anyone wants it). Only the very earliest ('60/'61) piggy-back Bassmans used an
8 ohm OT. Yours has a 4 ohm OT.

Tim
A great amp can make a lousy guitar sound great.
A lousy amp will make a great guitar sound lousy.

patg...@hotmail.com

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

BHabes wrote:

> Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help with identifying the impedance on a Fender
> amp head I purchased recently. It's a white tolex (looks beige)/wheat
> grillecloth Fender Bassman head. Its got the presence knob. Knobs are the
> white, roundish ones. I'm told this amp is from 1963-- which the tube chart
> stamp initials confirm.
>
> Here is what the tube chart says: 6G6-B
> Production 55
> The letters "MK" are stamped on the chart.
> Power Supply 117 volts, 50/60 cycles AC
> Power Consumption 200 watts
>
> The chassis is embossed: BP07772 (if this helps)
>
> Can anyone tell me if this bugger is 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Preferably based on
> Fender Bassman schematics for this model #. I emailed Lord Valve last week but
> he hasn't responded-- I'm sure he's simply too busy, but I'm anxious to know
> the impedance of my new amp head!
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Brian
> BHa...@aol.com

"here's the easy way"
or "how your refrence books come in handy when buying an amp"

invest in any of the books out there with thousands of fender schematics
.. these are a must for the vintage amp buyer ..
be prepared .. the groove tube book and gerald webers hip talk
are good examples

now you most likly have the schematic for any amp you might
find or want to buy

on most of the schematics
tranny part numbers are listed

so your amp if stock should have
a 125a5a
or 125a13a

these transformers are shown hooked to a single speaker 125A5A
or a pair of speakers 125A13A

fender used 8 ohm speakers on the big amps until CBS go in there
in the mid to late 70's (the exception being the champ family @4)

so to answer your question

an 125A5A wants an 8 ohm load
and a 125A13A wants to see 4

anything else is most likely not stock

happy hunting
pat

TimTube

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

1963 Bassman 6G6B FS - $325

Dean Yiapis

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Hi ALL!

I've read this message with the greatest enthusiasm because it's a
question I myself have pondered quite often. I have a signal generator and
O-Scope, plus all the other tech goodies I've aquired over the years, but I
never did know what the procedure was. Perhaps the good Lord could share
with us as he has done so many times before? Also, I have a box of output
trannies that are supposedly for a 6V6 and 8 ohm speaker but I don't trust
the source. I seem to remember many many moons ago that the primary and
secondary imp could be determined with a signal gen a known fixed resistor
and a pot, the end of the procedure being to disconnect the pot from the
circut and measure it's resistance, that being the impedence of the
trannie, or was that coils? Oh well like I said , I forgot...or more likely
didn't pay attention.
Thanks For any light you may shed on the subject!
Dean

--
And yet another person annoyed by spam, remove
the xxx from my address to reply or use the link below.

de...@netline.net

HTTP://www.netline.net/~deany/
Part-time Pompatus of Love, and Lord of the Dance.

Lord Valve <detr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<65e4kt$3...@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>...

> >Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help with identifying the impedance on
> a Fender
> >amp head I purchased recently

Jeff Olsen

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

>1963 Bassman 6G6B FS - $325

>Tim

I have a '62 Bassman head, and they SMOKE. If anyone is after a juicy,
touch-sensitive, loud, punchy, almost-marshally hand-wired amp, these
blond Fender Bassmans with the Presence control are really special.
That's a good price too.

IMHO, of course...

-jeff

BHabes

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

>> >Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help with identifying the impedance on
>> a Fender
>> >amp head I purchased recently
>> >Brian
>> >BHa...@aol.com
>>
>> Lord Valve Belatedly Speaketh:
>> Almost certainly 4 ohms, like most Fender heads. It'd be a good idea
>> for you to take it to your local tech and have him scope it at both 4
>> and 8 ohms, just to be sure

Hi all.. thanks to the kind soul who posted to this NG who had the tranny #'s
for this amp (125A5A is ohms, 125A13A is 4 ohms). I whipped out my flashlight
and looked at the tranny and lo and behold! I saw 125A13A!

Thank you to all who helped!
Brian
BHa...@aol.com

al...@intrlink.com

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

On 27 Nov 1997 02:04:40 -0800, je...@efn.org (Jeff Olsen) wrote:

>In <19971126191...@ladder02.news.aol.com> tim...@aol.com (TimTube) writes:
>
>>1963 Bassman 6G6B FS - $325
>
>>Tim
>
>I have a '62 Bassman head, and they SMOKE. If anyone is after a juicy,

Is this a feature or a special effect? :)

Sort of like the box for a battery operated soldering iron I saw at
the store the other day..

It said " Solders up to 200 joints intermittantly ".

I'm not sure I would want to solder 200 intermittant joints. :)

Alan

alann(removethis)@intrlink.com

spam sucks.

Paul McIver

Dec 8, 2023, 3:30:40 AM12/8/23
On Tuesday, November 25, 1997 at 10:00:00 AM UTC+2, BHabes wrote:
> Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help with identifying the impedance on a Fender
> amp head I purchased recently. It's a white tolex (looks beige)/wheat
> grillecloth Fender Bassman head. Its got the presence knob. Knobs are the
> white, roundish ones. I'm told this amp is from 1963-- which the tube chart
> stamp initials confirm.
> Here is what the tube chart says: 6G6-B
> Production 55
> The letters "MK" are stamped on the chart.
> Power Supply 117 volts, 50/60 cycles AC
> Power Consumption 200 watts
> The chassis is embossed: BP07772 (if this helps)
> Can anyone tell me if this bugger is 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Preferably based on
> Fender Bassman schematics for this model #. I emailed Lord Valve last week but
> he hasn't responded-- I'm sure he's simply too busy, but I'm anxious to know
> the impedance of my new amp head!
> Thank you in advance!
> Brian
> BHa...@aol.com

Brad I own serial BP07461, also stamped MK (November 1963 production)

I'm not sure if my amp is original tolex and knobs, would love to see a picture of yours?

(This is 2023 calling back to 1997, even your original post is vintage by now lol)