NMU President Convicted of Racketeering

Robert Swanson

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

The longtime head of the National Maritime Union and his son were
convicted by a federal court jury in Philadelphia, Pa., for accepting
bribes totalling more than $100,000 dollars to refer legal work to a
Philadelphia area lawyer.

The jury deliberated for threee days before returning the verdicts
against Louis Parise Sr., 69, of Cherry Hill, NJ and his son, Louis Jr.
or Sicklerville, NJ, for what prosecutors called their corrupt
relationship with lawyer Bernard Sacks.

The Jury convicted both men of racketeering andm most of the related
charges in the 82 count indictment. The panel also ordered Parise Sr.
to foreit $188,297 in cash linked to bribes or illegally spent union
funds and Parise Jr., to forfieit $3,900 in bribes the jury found he
accepted from Sacks.

Bob Swanson

Mike Haight

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Robert Swanson (ar...@netins.net) wrote:
: The longtime head of the National Maritime Union and his son were
: convicted by a federal court jury in Philadelphia, Pa., for accepting
: bribes totalling more than $100,000 dollars to refer legal work to a
: Philadelphia area lawyer.

[...]

I saw the header and was thinking "NMU", Northern Michigan University?
Wow!
I read it and found out what NMU really meant.
Good (it wasn't the school).
--
Cya,
Michael

Bureaucrat, n.:
A person who cuts red tape sideways.

Jim Walke

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Mike Haight (mi...@sh-gpl.ti.com) wrote:
: I saw the header and was thinking "NMU", Northern Michigan University?

: Wow!
: I read it and found out what NMU really meant.
: Good (it wasn't the school).

I read the header quite quickly, and ended up thinking that he
had been convicted of "rocketeering". I started to visualize solid-fuel
lake boats... "Well, you lose steerage over 600 knots, but that's only
cause the rudder's the only thing in the water..."

Been workin' too hard this week...
--
Jim
tig...@izzy.net

Robert Swanson

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Details of the conviction of Louis Parise, his son Louis Jr. and Edward
Montague for illegal use of Union Funds and Racketeering can be found
at Seamens Justice Center web page.
http://www.angelfire.com/ia/SeaJustice/index.html.

Louis Parise was the longtime head of the National Maritime Union and
he and his son were illegally siphoning off funds from the NMU unions
coffers. He was forced to resign from the union immediately and may no
longer have any contact with any of the union members or officers.

Bob Swanson

Jeffrey Sean Billman

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

Am I the only person who read the subject and thought "Northern Michigan
University"? :-)

(Or is that just an automatic reaction for me as an Ohioan, where corrupt
educational institutions litter the map? See Central State...)
Jeff Billman Toledo, Ohio jbi...@bgnet.bgsu.edu
Abandon all hope ye who PRESS ENTER here.

Brandon M. Gorte

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

:
: (Or is that just an automatic reaction for me as an Ohioan, where corrupt
: educational institutions litter the map? See Central State...)

No, I also thought it was Norhtern Michigan University. I was hoping that
they'd forfit the hockey games with Tech, and we'd win the Ramada Cup. :-)

Brandon Gorte
Houghton, MI
Michigan Tech-No-Logical University

Darren Young

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

In article <5dh2uc$7...@infoserver.bgsu.edu>, jbi...@mail.bgsu.edu
says...

> Am I the only person who read the subject and thought "Northern Michigan
> University"? :-)

I would have assumed the same as you.

--
Y-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Darren J. Young | Minnesota CADWorks, Inc. |

alpe...@roadrunner.com

Dec 13, 2019, 7:22:19 AM12/13/19
On Friday, January 31, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Robert Swanson wrote:
> The longtime head of the National Maritime Union and his son were
> convicted by a federal court jury in Philadelphia, Pa., for accepting
> bribes totalling more than $100,000 dollars to refer legal work to a
> Philadelphia area lawyer.
>
> The jury deliberated for threee days before returning the verdicts
> against Louis Parise Sr., 69, of Cherry Hill, NJ and his son, Louis Jr.
> or Sicklerville, NJ, for what prosecutors called their corrupt
> relationship with lawyer Bernard Sacks.
>
> The Jury convicted both men of racketeering andm most of the related
> charges in the 82 count indictment. The panel also ordered Parise Sr.
> to foreit $188,297 in cash linked to bribes or illegally spent union
> funds and Parise Jr., to forfieit $3,900 in bribes the jury found he
> accepted from Sacks.
>
> Bob Swanson

I remember him, he was a nice guy.