Looking for a speedy way to download very large files

Syver S Bergado

Apr 10, 1993, 6:11:59 PM4/10/93
Hey everyone!

Does anyone out there have a quick and efficient method for downloading
very, very large (between 1 Mb and 50 Mb) size files from ftp sites?

At the same time, is there a way of having the file not take up so much
memory on the hard drive of your home computer? i.e., say a 30 Mb file
from an ftp site, reduced to 5 Mb.

The reason I ask is that I am interested in downloading a 30 Mbyte size,
Quicktime Movie, ".bin" extension file from an ftp site onto my Mac IIsi.

----

The current method that I use is very slow. For example, it takes me a
10 hours just to download a 3 Mb size file, using my 2400 baud modem.
Given the path that I make the file take, which is:

from ftp site --->> to my computer account at school --->> to my MacIIsi
point A point B point C

can you possibly suggest any ways which could solve my two problems stated
above, namely (1) slow transfer time and (2) that the file is too large
for my Mac hard drive, which has very limited space right now?

----

possible sources of my problems:

1. Should I bypasss point B altogether in transfering files from A to C?

2. Do I have to use a faster modem, or is this not necessary?

3. I've heard that you are supposed to compress the file first, before
transferring from point A to point B. Or is it from B to C? Or is
it for each transfer stage?

4. Do I get this compression program that people talk about from
Stanford's ftp site?

5. Rather than perform this transfer task at my Mac, should I instead
be doing this at my school's computer lab where I have direct
access to the school's network and Internet? Do you recommend that
I do this instead, and just download the file from the ftp site to
my computer account while sitting physically at the school's
computer lab? But then how do I transfer the file from my account
to my own computer? I don't think I could just transfer this large
file from my account onto a floppy disk, because it simply cannot
fit onto the floppy. Or do I simply compress the large file first,
and then copy it to my floppy?? Can I then distribute this
compressed file over *several* floppy disks? And then take the floppies
home and pop it into my Mac? Or will this simply not work because
files cannot be broken up, and neither can programs?

----

How do you guys and gals get around these obstacles?

Maybe some kind soul out there can help me out, because they had this
same exact problem.

Any tips and suggestions you can offer are very much appreciated.

Maybe your suggestions could benefit others as well. So maybe post your
answers to the net.

Could you please also send your replies to my account at
ber...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu in case I don't get a chance to
read it on the net?

Thanks much!!

Sincerely,
Syver Bergado

ber...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

patrickl...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2018, 9:41:27 AM4/6/18
On Saturday, April 10, 1993 at 3:11:59 PM UTC-7, Syver S Bergado wrote:

> The current method that I use is very slow. For example, it takes me a
> 10 hours just to download a 3 Mb size file, using my 2400 baud modem.
> Given the path that I make the file take, which is:

Oh wow! 10 hours just to download a 3 MB file? LOL That's one of the reasons why I don't miss the 90s.