Dimensions of an LP cover

MArtin Chiselwitt

Jul 9, 2004, 5:07:57 PM7/9/04
Hi All,

I have just got a job designing an LP cover,
The record will be released on Vinyl and CD.
I suddenly realise that I don't know the dimensions and resolution I
should be working at. I mean, I know a record sleeve is roughly a foot
square, but i guess i need to be accurate about this early on before
anything is delivered to the printers.
Does anyone here have experience of such an job?

I would be most grateful for all advice. I have never designed for
packaging before...

Many thanks

Mart C.

steggy

Jul 9, 2004, 4:38:02 PM7/9/04

The LP cover size is normally 12" x 12". You need a back
side also, so take the folding and glueing in account.

I imagine you work in Photoshop for this, I would say
minimum resolution 240DPI.

If you do it all in Illustrator I expect vectorized work.
--
steg

Gem

Jul 9, 2004, 8:01:09 PM7/9/04
> MArtin Chiselwitt

>I suddenly realise that I don't know the dimensions and resolution I
>should be working at.

This sounds like a great project. Can you post your finished piece after
completion? I'd love to see it.

http://www.pressademo.com/Cover_Art_Templates.htm
Look for the vinyl jacket/label templates link and download them. eps format.

I'd create the art at 300 dpi [cmyk] in PS and set title type if you need some
fancy effects in Illustrator, outlined and saved as eps., song titles, credits,
copy and such in Quark/InDesign should you need to enlarge/reduce/change
anything later.

good luck and hth
---Gem

MArtin Chiselwitt

Jul 10, 2004, 12:00:41 AM7/10/04
Ok, thanks for the help.
I intend to do quite a lot of 'manipulated imagery' in Photoshop which I
will then take into Illy to do the text... There isn't much in the way
of vector-type illustration in this project but I prefer to do my text
in Illy every time.
I normally work at 300dpi for most projects with a view to eventual
printing, but I have had occassion in the past to get dimensions
slightly wrong so I am trying to be as exact as possible. I guess what I
should do is just work slightly larger than a 12"x12" and then at least
they can crop it a bit at the printers...
And many thanks Gem for the link. That is very useful indeed. I will be
happy to send you a copy of the finished artwork when complete. But this
may not be for several weeks yet, in fact, it may be towards the end of
July when this is delivered.

Cheers

Martin C.

Gem

Jul 10, 2004, 1:19:41 PM7/10/04
>MArtin Chiselwitt

>I guess what I
>should do is just work slightly larger than a 12"x12" and then at least
>they can crop it a bit at the printers...

Yes, you'll want to bleed your art off the live areas onto the folding flaps
and off the back panel about .25 so set up your PS doc at 12.25 square [check
with printer, they may want more of a bleed.]. Don't forget to include your die
lines for the flaps [you'll want to specs those and gluing preferences for the
printer] and your title line on the spine [about 1/8 inch wide].
Talk to your printer and ask how they'll want you to package the file, pdf,
eps, etc and then ask them if they have any settings in particular they'll want
you to use when compiling it.

>And many thanks Gem for the link. That is very useful indeed.

You're welcome. :)

>I will be
>happy to send you a copy of the finished artwork when complete.

That would be great! Thank you.
Good luck with it.

cheers

---Gem

Scott Morrison

Feb 14, 2021, 3:03:25 AM2/14/21
I like that this convo was from 2004 and I'm just reading this in 2021