CD template that can line up with Avery?

Sara

May 23, 2002, 9:42:49 AM5/23/02

<lael...@bestweb.net> wrote in message
news:3cecda42...@news.bestweb.net...

> I'm trying to do a label for a CD and have the templates from the
> Illusrator 10 (and from a 'Fellowes' (sp?) package) but just bought a
> package of Avery 8692 templates and they don't match up. I don't want
> to use the software that comes with the Avery as it's not really that
> good (to put it mildly) an their template file format is proprietary
> so I can't open it in illustrator.
>
> Is there a method to lining up the Illustrator or Fellowes(sp?)
> template to match the Avery 8692?

No. If the Fellowes are the ones I am thinking of (Neato?) the layout is
completely different. But...try this:

Design the cd labels in Illustrator, export them as bitmaps and paste them
into the avery software. I don't know this will work as I have never used
Avery software, but I used to do it with Photoshop and Neato all the time.
Worked slick. The Neato software was pretty lame for design too but the
labels lined up perfectly so I wanted to print from there.

Sara

KCat

May 23, 2002, 11:57:46 AM5/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 12:10:24 GMT, lael...@bestweb.net wrote:

>Is there a method to lining up the Illustrator or Fellowes(sp?)
>template to match the Avery 8692?

not much help for illustrator but... the Avery s/w is lacking. I have
yet to find *any* s/w that can meet the label demands I have for my
business. Either it's adapting Access which won't let me print one
label at a time in the space on the sheet I want to. Or it's another
package that doens't print CD labels, or it's another that has a
*very* limited database.

I have resorted to s/w called... er...Sure Thing Office Labeler.
www.mvd.com this has a very limited database capability but it does
work well for CD labels. I import graphics from Photoshop into it. I
have not tried doing so with IL10. I think the Avery s/w is a tiny,
virtually useles pieace of the code of STOL. but don't quote me on
that.

I would *think* that there is a page layout section of IL that would
help you to create the label according to Avery's layout. But again,
I'm not up to par on this topic with IL10 so I'm just guessing.

you can d/l STOL as an unregistered version and see if it will suit
your needs. They have another label s/w package that is stricktly made
for CDs (and their various inserts). It's not great - but it's better
than most. One other thing - STOL gives you various ways to play with
layouts for labels - allowing you to take an Avery layout and shift it
around to match something else or vice versa. As far as its interface
to the printer it's pretty good (compared to other label s/w). Also,
take all the measurements you can from the label and see if these can
be incorporated into a layout method on IL10. You should have all
margin sizes, the distance between the bottom of the top label and the
top of the bottom label, the diameter of the label (note, 8692 is
slightly larger diam, then old Avery CD labels) and the diameter of
the center hole.

Hth at least a little,
kcat

Sara

May 23, 2002, 12:37:49 PM5/23/02

> On Thu, 23 May 2002 08:42:49 -0500, Sara wrote:
>
> Tried but the image, when imported/pasted(?) into the Avery software
> isn't sharp at all. The text is quite fuzzy.
>
> I've the Neato software (came with business sized CD labels) and it's
> on a par with Avery. I did manage to do them considerably easier with
> the Neato though for the business cards but they were smaller and
> subject to less distortion. Frustrating.
>
> Thanks though
>
> Maybe I should try this in Photoshop?
> ------
At the time I didn't have Illustrator and it worked quite well from
Photoshop but ...I also was designing at 300 dpi. If you use 72dpi or
export the image as a bitmap from Illustrator at 72 dpi it would be fuzzy.

I made a blank image, 4.75" X 4.75" at 300 dpi and drew as big a circle in
it as would go. Then I measured the center circle of a cd label and centered
a circle that size on another layer so I knew where the non-printing center
would be. I saved it as a template and used it over and over, working on yet
another layer so none of the outlines printed. Then exported that layer as a
bmp.

Sara

Paul Asente

May 23, 2002, 12:40:57 PM5/23/02
In article <3cecda42...@news.bestweb.net>, lael...@bestweb.net
wrote:

> I'm trying to do a label for a CD and have the templates from the
> Illusrator 10 (and from a 'Fellowes' (sp?) package) but just bought a
> package of Avery 8692 templates and they don't match up. I don't want
> to use the software that comes with the Avery as it's not really that
> good (to put it mildly) an their template file format is proprietary
> so I can't open it in illustrator.
>

> Is there a method to lining up the Illustrator or Fellowes(sp?)
> template to match the Avery 8692?

I would use the Avery software to create a very simple label (just
black, for example), and print it out on plain paper. Then get out the
ol' ruler and reposition the items in the Illustrator template to match
the printout.

-paul asente
to reply, make the return host the same as my last name

Rusty Wright

May 23, 2002, 1:21:39 PM5/23/02
I think there's a template available online from Adobe Studio
(studio.adobe.com).

Rusty Wright

May 23, 2002, 1:22:33 PM5/23/02
Oops; it's Xchange; xchange.studio.adobe.com.

trev*

May 23, 2002, 3:01:45 PM5/23/02
i agree with paul, when i first got cd labels, i disliked the software so
much that i created templates in illustrator.
im no longer restricted at all and now im a happy bunny :)

love.trev

David Goerndt

May 23, 2002, 5:16:25 PM5/23/02

I made a double label for a friend's band. I just ran it through the printer
adjusting the position between printing until it was registered, still
works. This was for Fellows(sp) CD labels.

David Goerndt

Paul Asente

May 24, 2002, 12:29:25 AM5/24/02
In article <3ced795...@news.bestweb.net>, lael...@bestweb.net
wrote:

> btw Adobe doesn't have any templates for Ilustrator (just business
> cards, non CD).

Illustrator 8, 9, and 10 (the only versions I have installed) all
contain CD label templates if you installed the sample files. There are
also jewel box templates on the CD.

Sara

May 24, 2002, 7:23:35 AM5/24/02

"Paul Asente" <use...@not-asente.com> wrote in message

> In article <3ced795...@news.bestweb.net>, lael...@bestweb.net
> wrote:
>
> > btw Adobe doesn't have any templates for Ilustrator (just business
> > cards, non CD).
>
> Illustrator 8, 9, and 10 (the only versions I have installed) all
> contain CD label templates if you installed the sample files. There are
> also jewel box templates on the CD.

It;'s time again to point out to people the beauties of those CDs...it seems
a lot of people never even know all those goodies are there. The templates,
the clip art (I myself am guilty of that one, I even have them on my hard
drive and I forget I have it), the extra styles and brushes are all good
resources.

Sara